Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

If You Experienced Symptoms Of 'brain Fog' How Long...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dreamwolf

dreamwolf

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

If you experienced the symptoms of 'brain fog' as part of you depression, how long did it take for the symptoms to go away? Was it an instantaneous or a gradual process?

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

Hi dreamwolf

Can you explain what brain fog means to you and how you experience it and how you feel it coming on?

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 odyssey

odyssey

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:56 AM

Hi dreamwolf

I now exactly what you mean by 'brain fog' its that leaden feeling that affects your thoughts, like your head is full of concrete. You cant hold a thought for more than 5 secs, have no memory, constantly forget things, cant think straight, cant concentrate. I feel like my brain has to wade through cement to just hold on to the simplest thing. I feel like my brain is operating at about 30% capacity. Unfortunatley the brain fog you are describing could be caused by a couple of things, maybe your meds, especially if you have just started new ones, or just the depression itself. Depression can often have siginificant effects on your cognitive functioning, the basic way your brain operates and thinks. You can have problems with all sorts of things like the ones I have listed above. Dont get too worried about it, it is a symptom of the depression and goes away when it does. With the meds it can be hard to tell, but they definately can make you feel foggy. You cant really pin down a time frame on when it will go away
Good luck

#4 sirena

sirena

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:50 AM

Hi dreamwolf

I now exactly what you mean by 'brain fog' its that leaden feeling that affects your thoughts, like your head is full of concrete. You cant hold a thought for more than 5 secs, have no memory, constantly forget things, cant think straight, cant concentrate. I feel like my brain has to wade through cement to just hold on to the simplest thing. I feel like my brain is operating at about 30% capacity. Unfortunatley the brain fog you are describing could be caused by a couple of things, maybe your meds, especially if you have just started new ones, or just the depression itself. Depression can often have siginificant effects on your cognitive functioning, the basic way your brain operates and thinks. You can have problems with all sorts of things like the ones I have listed above. Dont get too worried about it, it is a symptom of the depression and goes away when it does. With the meds it can be hard to tell, but they definately can make you feel foggy. You cant really pin down a time frame on when it will go away
Good luck

wow!..thanx for ur post ...i was just trying to explain this to my councillor yesterday and didn't know how...it's the reason for me failing miserably in my courses at uni...i'm sitting in class listening to a lec(when i can bring myself to attend a class) and it's like i hear the words and they're familiar but they're just not registering in my brain ...does that make sense....

#5 guruthunder

guruthunder

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:11 AM

Wow...brain fog. So far one of the most debilitating symptoms of my depression. It seemed to start overnight (I was having tons of panic attacks). I couldn't even remember how to get to my friends house who I'd been to every week last summer, and I'm only 21. And yeah, I was in university as well. To this day I don't know how I passed that semester. I'm not sure if it was the Prozac or just time, but after a few months the brain fog seemed gone to me. But yeah, I know EXACTLY what's it's like. Good luck and give it time.

#6 Used To Be Me

Used To Be Me

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:51 AM

Brain fog is something that i suffered for almost two years, and have been blessed by its return. I have speant ages blaming my hospital experience and frying my brain for it, as anything before that happened exists in a weird fog of its own. But the two years turned out to be my anxiety in living in a place not best suited to who i was or what i wanted to be doing. Recently i was with a girl who wouldn't let me be myself, and the more i tried to be i realise i was less than nice as a reaction, but not being able to now what to say, or how to act resulted in me going nuts and loosing her, my falt, and am now in a place with pining, guilt, searching for myself, no friedns and no money, and of course my brain is replaying events i can't change, not being abe to look to a future as i didn't expect to land in my home town, and dissecting how i acted when i felt under attack. oh and frustrated as she takes no responisibility, or belief she acted at ll wrong. And now my mind has days where i get quite focused to find my own epiphanies, but many are wall staring letting time pas, which it isn't most of the time. Anything i figure out or find to distract myself, seems completely pointless as the fog lets them go into a void of mist in my mind, so progress has not been key. I find just days where you can be positive, find distractions, or wake on the right side of bed, as few of them there are,the brain seems to just wake up and scream "hello", and i ask "where were you" and if brains could shrug, thats what it would probably do.

The brain fog is your mind going a million miles per second, so fast that grabbing at them or linking them all in impossible. There are breathing techniques to gain clarity, but the thoughts seem to speed up on their own, so finding the route of your problem, and seeing solutions is the only cure i ever figured out. Sadly for myself its acting on these solutions that is hard, as a fear of failing, or returning to the pit, or even the fear of bothering to succeed is hard, maybe i have grown lazy more than fearful, but fear hat i have :) Today i feel clear, and it has been a while. Having been battered around a colleseum with a bat by my ex she has acted like a 5 year old and deleted her facebook profile, but i guess i should have left her alone, but i did want her to help if she is the reason i fell so far back into my head (which is no pretty place to look around) i lost myself almost completely. But its given me closure, and a **** her attitude which helps. I hope you can get to the route of your problem. If it is lonliness it is far harder to deal with, as you create a self belief you are unlikable, and efforts to prove otherwise will not succeed till your a little into liking yourself. I'm into ancient civilisations, ufo's, weird movies and not the norm of drinking till my eyes fall out and screaming whoo while throwing nuts at girls in loose tops, so finding people to share theories with is difficult, but everyone is human, so make jokes or speak from the heart,. if they reject you, then reject them,. leave and forget, they have built in never talk to strangers rather than strangers are friends you haven't made ye

Hope the mind clears and stays cleared, or that this even slightly helped.

Chris
There is a man who plays a violin, & the strings are the nerves in his own arm

#7 Chenderson

Chenderson

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:00 AM

If you experienced the symptoms of 'brain fog' as part of you depression, how long did it take for the symptoms to go away? Was it an instantaneous or a gradual process?

I know what your talking about. I've been in a brain fog for months before. You feel mentally slow, dumbed down and numb inside your head. It's like having a 56k modem compaired to cable, ha. It takes time to get used to everyting again and then you snap out of it. Try drinking coffee as soon as you wake up it helps me get out of bed when I'm depressed. It gives you a task that you have to do every morning, some times you f-ing hate it some times you love it. I dunno, good luck to you, Chris
I don't care to much for reality, but it's the only place to get a decent steak.

#8 Used To Be Me

Used To Be Me

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:36 AM

'Chenderson'
True on the slowing down broadband, i practically go back to dial-up.
Yesterday i just managed to get my head on things and for 3/4 of the day i was me, fully, unlocked to all my memories, humour, comfy around others, confident. It just lifts when the brain calms down and thinks it has clarity
Last night i had new realisations on how i have acted, and could not sleep for thinking, and poof its all back. I went out to teh pub last night, i managed while happy to just chat to a girl, who was kind enough to offer mee a night out in a pub with all her mates. I went along, but beforeheand had broken apart with a good mate also not in a good state. I couldn't speak to anyone, it wasn't even my mind racing, it seems to fog, and when your in a situation you know you could be social in, my brain goees blank, and if i start talking to much rather than making jokes bouncing off what others say, keeping the flow going is impossible. ~The brain just goes empty, and i have wasted another oppertunity to make friends, and they all were so good to come over and chat to m, i was so guarded, not to unleash how sad i was, rather then accept the past is unchangable and go with the flow. Guilt is the worst emotion, and one day i'll figure how to deal with it. Fear is also as bad. I loathe that i can be so me, and suddenly nott be, and little takes me to go into my hea, and that has never been a pretty place.
There is a man who plays a violin, & the strings are the nerves in his own arm

#9 Scott43

Scott43

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:51 PM

Brain Fog??

Its called Depersonalization...

There really is no such thing as brain fog although this is how I described my feelings as well when I first got it... Actually there is Brain fog due to meds ect... being worn out from using your mind to much, but the feeling of being out of it and disconnected is a completely different case.

15 months and still counting here... and the worse part 24/7 No Breaks!

It does stink! Try DP Self Help .Com it will help you to better understand this condition...

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users