Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

The Most Effective Benzodiazepine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rylan1015

Rylan1015

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hello all,

I have recently been prescribed 2 benzos, one was called Klonopin, the other was called Ativan. I've always been prescribed SSRI's for my anxiety, so I'd actually never heard of either of them.

I know that I'm supposed to take the Klonopin once on the morning, and 2x in the evening for sleep, and the Ativan is only when needed. I've only been on the Klonopin for about 3 or 4 days now and I feel absolutely horrible. I am EXTREMELY sleepy, I have headaches, I can't see straight, I've had a total loss of coordination and balance, and I am confused a lot. Does anyone know if this is normal? And how long does it typically last, or is it just part of taking the medicine (will I always remain confused and dizzy?) This medication has done very little so far in terms of helping my bad general anxiety (the Ativan works very well for my panic attacks, though).

Also, should I be prescribed a different kind of Benz. medication that might work better for me for long-term general anxiety, and what types are out there? I am really bad when it comes to medications; I don't know how many are out there or one kind from the other. I just wanted to know, is there anybody else out there with bad general anxiety who is on any other type of benzodiazepine medication that seems to work very well for them, or if they know of the ones that didn't work that well? I wish I could take my Ativan for my my long term anxiety but my doctor does not want me to, it is only for panic attacks, but it NEVER makes me sleepy. I feel like he should switch their uses.

Thanks in advance ! :)

#2 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hello all,

I have recently been prescribed 2 benzos, one was called Klonopin, the other was called Ativan. I've always been prescribed SSRI's for my anxiety, so I'd actually never heard of either of them.

I know that I'm supposed to take the Klonopin once on the morning, and 2x in the evening for sleep, and the Ativan is only when needed. I've only been on the Klonopin for about 3 or 4 days now and I feel absolutely horrible. I am EXTREMELY sleepy, I have headaches, I can't see straight, I've had a total loss of coordination and balance, and I am confused a lot. Does anyone know if this is normal? And how long does it typically last, or is it just part of taking the medicine (will I always remain confused and dizzy?) This medication has done very little so far in terms of helping my bad general anxiety (the Ativan works very well for my panic attacks, though).

Also, should I be prescribed a different kind of Benz. medication that might work better for me for long-term general anxiety, and what types are out there? I am really bad when it comes to medications; I don't know how many are out there or one kind from the other. I just wanted to know, is there anybody else out there with bad general anxiety who is on any other type of benzodiazepine medication that seems to work very well for them, or if they know of the ones that didn't work that well? I wish I could take my Ativan for my my long term anxiety but my doctor does not want me to, it is only for panic attacks, but it NEVER makes me sleepy. I feel like he should switch their uses.

These are all questions that you need to ask you Dr. I can tell you when I have taken the benzo's I have many of the side effects you are. Normally it is only for a short term fix. So maybe the Dr. thinks you won't be on them long

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#3 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hello all,

These are all questions that you need to ask you Dr. I can tell you when I have taken the benzo's I have many of the side effects you are. Normally it is only for a short term fix. So maybe the Dr. thinks you won't be on them long

I don't know if these are "common" side effects, but I'm sure they are possible. Personally, if I had something like confusion, I'd tell the Dr. you are going off of it, and that you'd like an AD to help with your anxiety/panic attacks.

Sounds like he may have given these to you short-term in order to stop the anxiety immediately, but it sounds like the side effects might warrant trying something else.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 thegirlshateher

thegirlshateher

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:34 PM

Hello all,

I had really bad side effects with the klonopin. Just like you, I felt EXTREAMLY tired, weak in my muscles, blurry vision, confusion. This is was only on .25MG twice a day. It just felt like i had the flu all day, i felt like my body was resenting me everytime i went to take another pill. He ALSO gave me ativan for emergencies (which i ended up resorting to when the klonopin was too much for me, i liked those). My psychiatrist says im very sensitive to drugs it seems. As soon as I told him that I had these feelings he told me to stop taking the klonopin immediately, which im sure your dr. might say the same. A few days ago he decided to put me on Xanax .25MG twice a day for a while and Im liking it ALOT better. The Xanax and Ativan have a very short life in the body, where the Klonopin starts to build up in the system. I prefer the Xanax and the ativan. On the klonopin, i was a mess. I took klonopin for a week and a half and had horrible withdrawals when i stopped. The day after I stopped I spent most of the day crying hysterically for hours and had uncontrollable anger and insomnia. It was very hard for me

I agree whole heartedly with your comment about having the ativan all the time. That drug settles with me alot better as well.

Good luck! and don't be discouraged by the klonopin, it just might not be the right one for you. My Dr. is having me on Xanax for a few weeks and then may start me on an anti-depressant. It seems that we are both at the same stage in our treatment, so don't feel alone!

Edited by thegirlshateher, 25 June 2008 - 11:45 PM.

#5 Avalanche00

Avalanche00

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:42 PM

I wonder if your doc prescribed too high a starting dose of Klonopin. If you're new to the drug, a high dose right off the bat will cause some of the side effects you mention. The good news is that they usually subside or go away with time (especially the drowsiness).

I would call your doc and mention the side effects and either try a lower dose at least to start, or discuss other anxiety meds such as SSRI's which work better long term but can also have a number of side effects, especially when first starting (if anxiety increases initially, at least you have the Ativan to help calm you down).

Klonopin is a pretty good anti-anxiety med, but it's not for everyone. Good luck with your anxiety management and trying to find the right meds and dosages--and keep us posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users