Advertisement

Registration/Login Issues

If you are experiencing any problems regarding registration or logging-in to your account subsequent to our recent upgrades, then please contact dfadmin@depressionforums.org. Thank you, and happy holidays!

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Adding Cymbalta To Remeron

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 House Cat

House Cat

Just Registered

ID: 1012

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

I'm taking remeron for depression and amytriptyline for neck pain. My pain doctor recommended I try cymbalta instead to help with pain relief. I got some from my regular doctor. Tapered down the remeron from 60 to 30 for a week, then stopped for a week.... then read more details about cymbalta and how it doesn't mix well with amytriptyline so I spent another week without the remeron while I stopped the amytriptyline to let it flush out of my system. So Ive spent the last three weeks thus:

#1 half dose remeron, full dose amytriptyline
#2 no does remeron, full dose amytriptyline
#3 no does remeron, no dose amytriptyline

I was planning on starting the cymbalta in the next day or two, but I completely fell apart without the remeron last night so I went back on it. I had no choice, it was bad. Very bad. I cant get off it long enough to let it flush out to start the cymbalta. So what I want to know is: can I keep on the remeron and start the cymbalta as well

#2 Isabeau

Isabeau

ID: 17697

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hey House Cat,

None of us here are professionals to give you that sort of advice, so the best thing you can do is go and see your doctor or contact them and tell them how you are feeling.

He/She will know what is best for you,

HUGS
Isabeau :hearts:

IS-A-BOW
© AJ

We're our own dragons as well as our own heroes,
and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.

#3 X-ray

X-ray

ID: 11794

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:24 AM

I'm taking remeron for depression and amytriptyline for neck pain. My pain doctor recommended I try cymbalta instead to help with pain relief. I got some from my regular doctor. Tapered down the remeron from 60 to 30 for a week, then stopped for a week.... then read more details about cymbalta and how it doesn't mix well with amytriptyline so I spent another week without the remeron while I stopped the amytriptyline to let it flush out of my system. So Ive spent the last three weeks thus:

I was planning on starting the cymbalta in the next day or two, but I completely fell apart without the remeron last night so I went back on it. I had no choice, it was bad. Very bad. I cant get off it long enough to let it flush out to start the cymbalta. So what I want to know is: can I keep on the remeron and start the cymbalta as well

Hello House Cat,

I think that Remeron and amitriptyline is a bad combo.
Those drugs don't go well together.

If you google "drug interactions" you will get many answers.
You can check the combo of Remeron and Cymbalta for yourself.

Amitriptyline can help both with depression and pain.
It's not a modern drug, so the side-effects are bad.

Remeron is good for sleep, but you will need something for your pain.
Cymbalta is approved for depression and nerve pain.

Best of Luck,
X-ray

#4 idleinn

idleinn

ID: 25162

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

I have just switched to cymbalta from other ssri and combos ( effexor , mirtazapine and lithium )for the same reason to help with nerve pain which has been caused by 8 broken vertabrae. Two weeks after starting i am back at work dep has started to lift and have been able to stop pain meds all together.

All the best ...have a nice day...

#5 House Cat

House Cat

Just Registered

ID: 1012

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:35 AM

Hello House Cat,

I think that Remeron and amitriptyline is a bad combo.
Those drugs don't go well together.

If you google "drug interactions" you will get many answers.
You can check the combo of Remeron and Cymbalta for yourself.

Amitriptyline can help both with depression and pain.
It's not a modern drug, so the side-effects are bad.

Remeron is good for sleep, but you will need something for your pain.
Cymbalta is approved for depression and nerve pain.

Best of Luck,
X-ray

I've been doing remeron and amytriptyline for several years now with good effects. They may not play nice with other people, but the play nice together with me.

I know amytriptyline is out of date, but it has been a miracle worker for my pain. The first time I used it I was on 50mg a day and it completely resolved my neck pain. Unfortunately I can't run that dosage for any length of time because the side effects slowly build and they are harsh when they hit full steam. But I'm now on it 20mg a day and when work requires more physical effort I bump it temporarily to 30mg a day and that helps when needed. As bad as the side effects are I'm better off with it than without it (assuming I control the dosage).

So back to the original point: is anyone using remeron and cymbalta together successfully/safely?

#6 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

ID: 23704

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:22 AM

I know amytriptyline is out of date, but it has been a miracle worker for my pain.

Actually, it's still being used a lot. It doesn't work as specifically as the newer drugs, which means more side effects, but when the newer drugs fail, the older ones get used with good success.
I took amitryptiline for chronic headaches, just 10mg, worked very well AND I slept so well.

#7 edgeoftheocean

edgeoftheocean

ID: 31838

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

I AM TAKING REMERON AND CYMBALTA TOGETHER

Hello Everyone,
I guess I'm the guinea pig that's taking both remeron and cymbalta at the same time. I am taking them together (15 mg remeron at night before bed, and 30mg cymbalta in the morning), my doctor has told me that I am at risk of serotonin syndrome. I'm taking both for anxiety, not depression. The side effects of cymbalta as far as I can see are 50/50. You don't have muscle pain (thank goodness, because the muscle pain from remeron was brutal), it curbs your appetite (makes you nauseous), you feel significantly more alert without being scared (unlike the common side effect of anxiety in conjunction with alertness I experienced on Wellburtin XL). The negative side effects (for me) however are sexual disfunction, stomach pain, hot flashes, skin sensitivity, exhaustion by 10pm ('crashing') and apparently some people have lost their monthly visitor as well. I want to stop taking remeron completely and just stay on cymbalta as I've gained 50-60 lbs since starting remeron in June of last year (by far the heaviest I've ever been, and hating it), but I have to talk to my doctor and see what he prescribes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users