Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Effexor And Headache/migraine?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 anyjenny

anyjenny

ID: 25332

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hello,
I'm new to this site, and new to Effexor. It's been approx a week that I've been taking 37.5 mgs. I suffer from migraines as well as depression, and my doc thinks that Effexor is the way to go. Most SSRI's I've tried increase my migraines, so they won't work for me. I took Nortriptyline for a while and it did work (for both headache and depression) but I didn't like the sedative aspect of it. So...I'm trying something new. Made it through several days ok, but then spent the last 3 days with a horrible migraine. I'm really not sure if I should stick this out, or stop the Effexor now. Anybody else out there have experience w/ migraines and Effexor? Thanks in advance for your input.

#2 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

ID: 7815

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:02 PM

:hearts:

I don't know if that's an SE or not. Maybe if you have it you could look at the box? Maybe look it up on line? Plus the coolest thing about here is we have a whole room dedicated to this med. check it out!!! Lots of support for sure and maybe some answers to your questions

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#3 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

ID: 23704

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:00 AM

Anybody else out there have experience w/ migraines and Effexor? Thanks in advance for your input.

Hey Anyjenny
I'm also an old migraineur (I believe they call us) and was on Efexor for many years. I didn't really notice any increase in my migraines, if anything they got less and less, until they just became once-a month hormonal ones. I'm 46, don't know if age makes a difference.

But I did have a lot of tension headaches and nausea AND migraines for the first 2 -3 weeks. Headaches and nausea are listed start-up side-effects. Keep in touch with the doc, but I'd suggest you try and make it through the first 2-3 weeks (might not be as long for you) before you make a decision. Migraine prevention meds like Sibelium do the opposite of SSRIs so it makes sense that the SSRIs would worsen migraines. Efexor is different, it's worth a shot.

After the start-up SEs went away, I was only left with some constipation, but went into remission as far as the depression was concerned. Yoohoo. I can't exactly say I remember what happened with the migraines - but I was so happy to be happy at last.

#4 anyjenny

anyjenny

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

Anybody else out there have experience w/ migraines and Effexor? Thanks in advance for your input.

Hey Anyjenny
I'm also an old migraineur (I believe they call us) and was on Efexor for many years. I didn't really notice any increase in my migraines, if anything they got less and less, until they just became once-a month hormonal ones. I'm 46, don't know if age makes a difference.

But I did have a lot of tension headaches and nausea AND migraines for the first 2 -3 weeks. Headaches and nausea are listed start-up side-effects. Keep in touch with the doc, but I'd suggest you try and make it through the first 2-3 weeks (might not be as long for you) before you make a decision. Migraine prevention meds like Sibelium do the opposite of SSRIs so it makes sense that the SSRIs would worsen migraines. Efexor is different, it's worth a shot.

After the start-up SEs went away, I was only left with some constipation, but went into remission as far as the depression was concerned. Yoohoo. I can't exactly say I remember what happened with the migraines - but I was so happy to be happy at last.

Thanks for replying, Ajumbledmess and moonlightress. For what it's worth, there are new studies coming out that are showing venlafaxine to be comparable to nortriptilyne/amitriptyline in migraine prevention. That's a big reason that I started up on this med. Last week I was feeling discouraged as I was having some of these initial start-up migraines, but this week I'm feeling happier and hopeful that this med will help with both the headaches and the depression. We'll see!

#5 nicole84

nicole84

ID: 15376

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

I've also got the start up headaches second time round on Efexor... onto my 2nd week now and i've had it 3 days running. But I know from past experience they do pass

#6 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

I've also got the start up headaches second time round on Efexor... onto my 2nd week now and i've had it 3 days running. But I know from past experience they do pass

I've JUST been put back onto Efexor :hearts: I started this morning and about 3 hours after taking the first capsule I got the first headache. But like you Nicole, I know they'll pass. There'll be other SEs over the next two weeks, but I'm so so thrilled to be back on it...

#7 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:16 AM

3rd day of 75mg and I woke up with a humdinger of a headache at 05:50 - grabbed a Grandpa powder and it's calmed down. Had some nausea as well. Fortunately no migraines, so far.

#8 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

H-e-a-d-a-c-h-e-s !!!!! :hearts:
OK, I'm sorry but I have to whine just a little about it... I've had one ALL day today. I feel miz. I know it will pass. I just had to say that to someone!

#9 ja4445

ja4445

Advanced Member

ID: 25858

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

H-e-a-d-a-c-h-e-s !!!!! :flowers:
OK, I'm sorry but I have to whine just a little about it... I've had one ALL day today. I feel miz. I know it will pass. I just had to say that to someone!

Hope your feeling abit better :hearts:

#10 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:50 AM

Thanks ja4445. Unfortunately not - I eventually just took a sleeping tablet and went to bed as I couldn't fight it anymore and no painkillers I had, worked.

I'm withdrawing off Cymbalta and cross-tapering to Efexor. Yesterday I decided to do some reading about Cymbalta withdrawal, and blow me down - HEADACHES are a frequently reported symptom!

I was on 60mg. The pdoc said to spend a week on 30mg and then stop. But I am going to slow that down. (He's not the one with the headaches!)

#11 leo999

leo999

ID: 26382

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:11 AM

Hello...

The sad part about taking any medication can be unpleasent side effects.
Headaches seem to be a common one unfortunately.
There is a big difference between migrain and common headache, although both are difficult to live with on a daily basis.

Ive had migrain attacks all my adult life at around one attack per 14 days..lasting on average 24 hours....... head in a bucket, the works.
At times the attacks would be more frequent at one or 2 per week......... over maybe 30 years.

Only in the past 4 years did I find out about sumatriptan/ betablocker combinations.
This does not always work for normal headaches and isnt meant too....... but for full blown migrain.. for me it reduced the attacks by about 80% and that was like a lottery win.

I have clinical depression /agorophobia and yes I found most of the calming medications for that problem did trigger migrain attacks.... but at that time..... I didnt know about sumatriptan.....

If nothing else works for migrain........ and its compatible with current meds....... its worth a try.

Regds
Leo

#12 ja4445

ja4445

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:20 AM

Thanks ja4445. Unfortunately not - I eventually just took a sleeping tablet and went to bed as I couldn't fight it anymore and no painkillers I had, worked.

I'm withdrawing off Cymbalta and cross-tapering to Efexor. Yesterday I decided to do some reading about Cymbalta withdrawal, and blow me down - HEADACHES are a frequently reported symptom!

I was on 60mg. The pdoc said to spend a week on 30mg and then stop. But I am going to slow that down. (He's not the one with the headaches!)

Its horrible having to change meds, I have done it several times, Im cutting my Effexor done at the moment, bit fed up of being fogged up and difficulty sleeping!! :flowers:

#13 nicole84

nicole84

ID: 15376

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:03 AM

The headaches left me after a couple of weeks... almost up to the 4 week mark and no more headaches yay!! I knew they'd get better... on occasion I may still get one, but nothing like starting up

#14 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:34 AM

Only in the past 4 years did I find out about sumatriptan/ betablocker combinations.
This does not always work for normal headaches and isnt meant too....... but for full blown migrain.. for me it reduced the attacks by about 80% and that was like a lottery win.

Sumatriptan is a life-saver! If I can get it swallowed right at the start of an aura, it aborts the migraine 95%...
A friend of mine, who gets bad migraines, developed a tolerance to sumatriptan (and other triptans), the beta-blockers and Sibelium didn't help her, but Topamax has done it for her. so there are options...

Tension headaches are much more of a problem for me, (now that I have sumatriptan.) Today I went from 75mg to 150mg of Efexor and the headaches are still b-a-d. Or should I say headache, since it's actually one ongoing one.

#15 anyjenny

anyjenny

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

I agree about the triptan drugs--they are wonderful at stopping migraines. However, I'm finding more and more that docs won't simultaneously prescribe triptans and ssri's because of the risk of serotonin syndrome. I know my doc won't do it.

The good news is that my start-up headaches have subsided, though I'm still not sure the Effexor's really doing the trick for me.

#16 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

The good news is that my start-up headaches have subsided, though I'm still not sure the Effexor's really doing the trick for me.

Hi again anyjenny
How much Efexor are you taking and how long have you taken it...? If I remember right, you were at 37.5mg last time you posted.(?)

#17 ja4445

ja4445

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:06 AM

Hey there everyone! I started cutting down effexor today 375mg to 300mg and its given me an awful headach within about four hours of my missed tablet! I havent cut down Effexor before so I have no idea what to expect! :hearts:

#18 anyjenny

anyjenny

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hi again anyjenny
How much Efexor are you taking and how long have you taken it...? If I remember right, you were at 37.5mg last time you posted.(?)

I'm up to 75 mg now--have been for about 2 weeks. Haven't had any headaches in a while, but am not feeling good, either. I feel agitated and unable to concentrate, though I'm not feeling depressed... Not sure how much longer to give this med. I'm not feeling that the effect from it is really that positive.

#19 ja4445

ja4445

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:14 AM

Hi again anyjenny

I'm up to 75 mg now--have been for about 2 weeks. Haven't had any headaches in a while, but am not feeling good, either. I feel agitated and unable to concentrate, though I'm not feeling depressed... Not sure how much longer to give this med. I'm not feeling that the effect from it is really that positive.

Hey there it took a good 3mths before Effexor helped me it can take a bit of time to work!

#20 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

Mine became effective (for my depression) a lot faster than 3 months, last time around. It was about 3 weeks. And 3 weeks is the timeframe my current pdoc gave me, for evaluating whether or not it's helping. (Day 10 today)

One other thing, Anyjenny, - there is a chance you may need a slightly higher dosage. Check with your doc as to what dose he plans to go to. Some people go as high as 375mg. But last time I took Efexor, I had improvement on just 75mg. It's really variable.

#21 ForeverJuliesmom

ForeverJuliesmom

Just Registered

ID: 26894

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

Mine became effective (for my depression) a lot faster than 3 months, last time around. It was about 3 weeks. And 3 weeks is the timeframe my current pdoc gave me, for evaluating whether or not it's helping. (Day 10 today)

One other thing, Anyjenny, - there is a chance you may need a slightly higher dosage. Check with your doc as to what dose he plans to go to. Some people go as high as 375mg. But last time I took Efexor, I had improvement on just 75mg. It's really variable.

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the boards. old to depression. The worse of my entire life. I feel no emotion at all. I just lay around the house all day in the same ole pajamas, eat hardly anything but yet gained 20 pounds in a year. My Pdoctor has tried just about everything, the last being Prozac 60mgm which did absolutely nothing. I have had a very tough life, the most depressing thing being the death of my daughter in a car accident 7 years ago......Her death ( her boyfriend died too ) set off a domino effect of loss ( sister died of cancer shortly after, lost my house ) I'm sure you all get my gist. I'm a former nurse, can't work in my current condition. Anyway, my Dr. decided to put me on effexor today. I don't know where to go from here should this not work. I take xanaz, topamax and ambien. I feel for all of us who suffer, but am so tired of hearing from other people, "I could feel better if I wanted to. " Oh well

#22 Batfink

Batfink

ID: 16095

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the boards. old to depression. The worse of my entire life. I feel no emotion at all. I just lay around the house all day in the same ole pajamas, eat hardly anything but yet gained 20 pounds in a year. My Pdoctor has tried just about everything, the last being Prozac 60mgm which did absolutely nothing. I have had a very tough life, the most depressing thing being the death of my daughter in a car accident 7 years ago......Her death ( her boyfriend died too ) set off a domino effect of loss ( sister died of cancer shortly after, lost my house ) I'm sure you all get my gist. I'm a former nurse, can't work in my current condition. Anyway, my Dr. decided to put me on effexor today. I don't know where to go from here should this not work. I take xanaz, topamax and ambien. I feel for all of us who suffer, but am so tired of hearing from other people, "I could feel better if I wanted to. " Oh well

Hi juliesmom

Im so sorry that you have had such a horrible time over the last few years and the loss of your daughter that is still so raw. I hope you find some relief with effexor please stick with it until you find the dose that helps you. Its hard to find enthusiasm for ADs when you have tried so many (I know!) and its easy to give up on them without giving them a proper chance!

I know what you mean about other people telling us to "pull our socks up" my mother actually told me I choose to feel like this!! At least you can find support on here, check the different forums out and you will find a whole host of people ready to give support and well wishes,

Batfink

#23 ForeverJuliesmom

ForeverJuliesmom

Just Registered

ID: 26894

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:31 PM

Hi everyone.

Hi juliesmom

Im so sorry that you have had such a horrible time over the last few years and the loss of your daughter that is still so raw. I hope you find some relief with effexor please stick with it until you find the dose that helps you. Its hard to find enthusiasm for ADs when you have tried so many (I know!) and its easy to give up on them without giving them a proper chance!

I know what you mean about other people telling us to "pull our socks up" my mother actually told me I choose to feel like this!! At least you can find support on here, check the different forums out and you will find a whole host of people ready to give support and well wishes,

Batfink

Thanks for your reply Batfink............Today would have been Julie's 29th birthday (((((sigh)))).....I can't cry, can't feel anything anymore. Darn medications. They aren't helping either way... I used to be able to have a good healthy cry, I can't even do that anymore. But, I can feel blessed that God gave her to me for almost 22 years and I will see her again some day. And I am blessed to have 3 other children and 3 gorgeous granddaughters. Why can't I feel blessed to enjoy and play with them???? I hate my mind, my brain............it's stopping me from enjoying my precious grandchildren.....My husband has Aspbergers syndrome ( he's my second husband, not the father of my 4 children ), which is a form of autism. He doesn't communicate hardly at all with me and our marriage is basically a friendship. We have separate bedrooms, eat separately, no physical contact of any kind. It's so sad, I'm only in my early 50's and men find me very pretty, but I won't cheat. So, since all my kids are married and out, I basically live alone with a "friend." I stay in my own room most of the time. I have 3 dogs and a cat that are my source of comfort right now. But, my 13 year old dog is dying from cancer, so I have been sitting with her constantly. Sorry to sound so down and whiny, but this is my life and I don't see it getting better unless this effexor takes hold. I was doing so good on the Wellbutrin for so long, but it just stopped working about a year ago and nothing has worked since. I hardly even leave the house or my pajama's. Anyone have any words of advice, comfort, encourement or words of hope for me, I could sure use it..........Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users