Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Swishing Sound When You Move Your Eyeballs?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#41 tman

tman

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

I know this sounds odd, but I have been having these swishing sounds go off whenever my eyeballs move. I don't remember when it started, but I am really aware of the sound now. I have not been able to pinpoint which one of my meds might be causing this.

Just checking to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Mike

Swishing Sound When You Move Your Eyeballs? Celexa! I just stopped using it and now I am getting these symptoms. It's awful. When I move my eyes quickly to the left or right i hear a swishing sound and get a head rush.

:no:
Ed

#42 HAL 9000

HAL 9000

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:37 AM

I too was searching for information on swishing sounds. I seemed to get this after going off Lexapro, Then Doc put me on Efexor. Agh..... the side effects were AWFUL. I decided to get off medication alltogether and the swishing is becoming much less noticable over time (3-4 weeks).

Surely some medico should have documented this effect before now?

Anyway, the voice inside my head said I was hearing things and not to listen to the swishing sound. But then I thought if the voice inside my head said I was hearing things and not to listen, should I listen to the voice in my head? :lookaround:

Bye

#43 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:27 AM

I too was searching for information on swishing sounds. I seemed to get this after going off Lexapro, Then Doc put me on Efexor. Agh..... the side effects were AWFUL. I decided to get off medication alltogether and the swishing is becoming much less noticable over time (3-4 weeks).

Surely some medico should have documented this effect before now?

Anyway, the voice inside my head said I was hearing things and not to listen to the swishing sound. But then I thought if the voice inside my head said I was hearing things and not to listen, should I listen to the voice in my head? :lookaround:

Bye

Hi HAL 9000,

That is something to think about. I mean if you are hearing voices in your head telling you what to do then you might need to let the doctor know that. How loud is that voice? Maybe it your conscious. Something to think about. Best wishes.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#44 markh

markh

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:22 AM

I know this sounds odd, but I have been having these swishing sounds go off whenever my eyeballs move. I don't remember when it started, but I am really aware of the sound now. I have not been able to pinpoint which one of my meds might be causing this.

Mike

Mike,

It does sound odd, doesn't it? But I experience it also. And my doctor looked at me like I was crazy when I told him.

I notice it mostly when I miss a day or two of meds (zoloft).. when I move my eyes fast from left to right, up to down, etc.., when I blink.. I can even "feel" the swish in my fingers sometimes. It's maddening at times. It does make me feel better though that I'm not the only one experiencing this side-effect! Hopefully, someone will find out what this is soon!!

I hate you guys are going through this but I am releived because i had no idea what was happening to me. I stopped Lex about week ago and have been dizzy and when i turn my head it takes a split second for my eyes to catch up and i have a VERY annoying swishing noise when i move my eyes or look around or even when walking......anyone else????????

Yes i get this. Sounds like someone momentarily with a pair of marakas, when i turn my head or move my eyes. When i'm tired and or depressed i also get a continuous hissing in the back of my head. Somedays louder than others.
"Golf; a perfect way to ruin a good walk". Winston Churchill.

" You may fire at will!"
"which one's will sir; do you know these people??"

#45 bluetrue

bluetrue

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

I also could hear my eyeballs move when I was coming off Effexor.

#46 witchmoon

witchmoon

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

Just reading about the swishy eyeballs! LOL...... NOT!! It is absolutly awful! Glad to know I'm not alone and crazy! However this is a horrible symptom.
There are other symptoms as well but the SWISH is the worst! So I have been on celexa for exactly a year and slowly weened myself off. I have been
having these symptoms for almost two weeks. I see no one has replyed on the subject for almost 6 months. Can any one tell me how much longer do
I have to deal with this, will it be permenant?...........HELP!!!! :help:

~Knowlage is Power~

#47 TilleyA07

TilleyA07

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

Yes, I too have this symptom. I was thinking about quitting sertraline 50 mg a day, but when I was off for 4 days these symptoms began.

It is incredibly annoying and I hope not permanent. Since no-one seems to have followed up on this site, I'm guessing it does stop. If it didn't I imagine people would be here complaining still.

Weird symptom, I'm still feeling it as I write this article (I began taking Sertraline again today). If it is permanent we should begin a class-action suit because if I have to deal with this for life I'm going to be very depressed/angry.

Edited by TilleyA07, 17 May 2011 - 12:30 PM.

#48 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

Wow, this thread is fascinating. But, obviously it's a bummer to those that have this. I've never experienced it, but have heard squishing noises in my head that sounded like fluid or blood or something was oozing around in my brain.

:lookaround:

:shocked:

Hope this goes away for everyone! It does appear to be something the drug companies should look into and list as a possible side or withdrawal effect.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#49 tiramisu1

tiramisu1

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

I was really surprised (in a good way) to find this discussion!
This is my case:
yesterday morning I forgot taking my Effexor XR 75 mg (im on it for almost a year).
in the evening i already started feeling weird. kinda unbalanced.
when I woke up today - after 24 hours without the "drug" in my system - I had the eyeball-noise syndrom which led me here eventually....
I felt so strange this morning, so disoriented, i even was afraid to drive to work...
anyway, today i took the pill and few hours later i started feeling normal again.

SO STRNANGE!
do you think i should see a doctor?

#50 henrithecat

henrithecat

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

Yep sounds like Brain Zaps to me. I have always experienced them as a weird sound when I move my eyeballs. I'm sure it's from AD withdrawal. To be safe, of course, you might want to check with an opthamalogist (sp?) but it sounds exactly like the brain zaps I've had in the past.

-htc
I'm on a roll this time. I feel my luck could change.

#51 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

I was really surprised (in a good way) to find this discussion!
This is my case:
yesterday morning I forgot taking my Effexor XR 75 mg (im on it for almost a year).
in the evening i already started feeling weird. kinda unbalanced.
when I woke up today - after 24 hours without the "drug" in my system - I had the eyeball-noise syndrom which led me here eventually....
I felt so strange this morning, so disoriented, i even was afraid to drive to work...
anyway, today i took the pill and few hours later i started feeling normal again.

SO STRNANGE!
do you think i should see a doctor?

Just to cover all grounds I think you should discuss this with your pdoc so he will be aware of it and can give you some feedback. I also think it wouldn't hurt to see an opthamologist.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt, 31 May 2011 - 07:02 PM.

Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#52 WestOz

WestOz

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

Quite amazing... a Google of "hear my eyeballs moving" led me straight here... my sympathies to those of you who are suffering/have suffered this peculiar symptom. I had been on Citalopram 40mg for about a year until about 3 months ago, initially due to painkiller dependency but remained on same due to developing depression and anxiety. My GP switched me from Citalopram to Pristiq 100mg when my depression got worse and I was instructed to undergo a "cleaning out" period of 5 days before starting to take Pristiq. By the end of 2 days, I had the eyeball swishing sounds real bad (1st time ever experienced), but also accompanied by constant impulses throughout my body which I would describe like electrical "zaps" - several times a minute, all waking hours. Constant dizziness, lack of co-ordination and even stumbling were also happening. It was so severe at the end of 4.5 days that I started the new medication half a day early. As soon as I started on the Pristiq, all these symptoms disappeared. Until...

Take 2:
3 days ago, told my GP that my depression and anxiety had actually become worse on the Pristiq and he switched me back to Citalopram 40mg. But guess what... had to undergo a cleaning out period again :sad: , this time for 4 days. Well as I sit here typing this at midnight, as soon as I wake up in the morning it will be 4 days. Right now, the swishing eyeball sounds are at their worst, I feel like I'm being mildly electrocuted every 10-15 seconds or otherwise with any movement of the eyes and have heightened anxiety.

Thank you to all others who have shared their experiences; it definitely seems, at least for me, a direct result of abrupt stoppage of anti-depressant meds. I will post back here my experiences after I have been back on Citalopram for a few days.

Regards to all :burn:

#53 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hi WestOz

Glad you have found DF. :welcomeani: Take a look around at all the Forums, including ones on Pristiq and other meds. I think you will find, as you already have, helpful information.

Feel free to start a new thread, reply to posts and so forth.

Best,

Tim

Quite amazing... a Google of "hear my eyeballs moving" led me straight here... my sympathies to those of you who are suffering/have suffered this peculiar symptom. I had been on Citalopram 40mg for about a year until about 3 months ago, initially due to painkiller dependency but remained on same due to developing depression and anxiety. My GP switched me from Citalopram to Pristiq 100mg when my depression got worse and I was instructed to undergo a "cleaning out" period of 5 days before starting to take Pristiq. By the end of 2 days, I had the eyeball swishing sounds real bad (1st time ever experienced), but also accompanied by constant impulses throughout my body which I would describe like electrical "zaps" - several times a minute, all waking hours. Constant dizziness, lack of co-ordination and even stumbling were also happening. It was so severe at the end of 4.5 days that I started the new medication half a day early. As soon as I started on the Pristiq, all these symptoms disappeared. Until...

Take 2:
3 days ago, told my GP that my depression and anxiety had actually become worse on the Pristiq and he switched me back to Citalopram 40mg. But guess what... had to undergo a cleaning out period again :sad: , this time for 4 days. Well as I sit here typing this at midnight, as soon as I wake up in the morning it will be 4 days. Right now, the swishing eyeball sounds are at their worst, I feel like I'm being mildly electrocuted every 10-15 seconds or otherwise with any movement of the eyes and have heightened anxiety.

Thank you to all others who have shared their experiences; it definitely seems, at least for me, a direct result of abrupt stoppage of anti-depressant meds. I will post back here my experiences after I have been back on Citalopram for a few days.

Regards to all :burn:

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#54 JAB

JAB

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:17 AM

I joined this forum specifically for this discussion. I, too, have had "swishing eyeballs" for two days now, & guess what? I forgot to take my Effexor yesterday morning, didn't take any of it until last yesterday evening-by then I had a killer headache-was up til 5 a.m., finally dozed off til abt 9-head was a dull ache & progressively worked back up to a full blown killer headache again tonight-only with eye swishes now. I am miserable. The best description I have read is of a Star Wars light saber. And as someone mentioned, that's a pretty nerdy description, & I'm not a huge SW fan, but I did watch a few of them growing up. Lol
, Now, in my desperate search for a fix to this hellacious headache, & finding the common cause as low level of my Effexor-i just took another day's dose abt an hour ago. HAVE I JUST TAKEN TOO MUCH FOR MY BODY? I am hoping it will give my body a big surge of the meds & make these side effects go away! HELP?!?!?!

#55 CRMLGRL

CRMLGRL

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:20 AM

I have been having the same problem. I found this site and your question when I googled "swishing when eyes move" It is getting really annoying. Did you find out if it is related to a depression med? I take Effexor and Wellbutrin. I had no idea this could be related to meds. I'm interested to hear if you found a correlation to meds and which ones. Thanks for sharing!

Mike

#56 CRMLGRL

CRMLGRL

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:33 AM

Take 2: I just read the other replies here. I had no idea the swishing was due to meds. I've had this happen before when after a social event I'd had a bit too much alcohol! But now it's all the time and it's SOOOOOO annoying and getting worse, I think I've been a bit lax about WHEN I take my meds; in other words, you are really supposed to take them at the same time each day and I don't always do that. So I will try to be more consistent and see what happens. I've been taking these same two meds, Effexor and Welbutrin for several years, since my daughter passed away, this is the first time I've experienced this. I have cut back on the Welbutrin but as my doc recommended, not all at once, so I don't understand why it's now affecting me. I have had sudden other problems with IBS that was not an issue before and now I wonder if it all isn't related? I think it's time to wean off the Welbutrin (like my body is saying, "Hey, time to get that stuff outa here!") and get back to just the Effexor which I never have had a problem with....I have cut the dosage back to half of the Effexor, with the blessing of my doc, and I think that my doc and I will now work on eliminating the Welbutrin altogether. I will let you know how that goes and if the dang swishes go away!

Thank you all for talking about this issue because I seriously had no idea that the meds were at all associated with the noise.

I have been having the same problem. I found this site and your question when I googled "swishing when eyes move" It is getting really annoying. Did you find out if it is related to a depression med? I take Effexor and Wellbutrin. I had no idea this could be related to meds. I'm interested to hear if you found a correlation to meds and which ones. Thanks for sharing!

Mike

#57 thinkchick

thinkchick

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

Although this thread was started several years ago, I am surprised to see that many still state that their doctors know anything about this "swishing sound". It is a well-documented side-effect of these types of medication, mostly when you stop taking them but also when you miss a dose or are late in taking them. I was on Effexor for nine months had such a bad experience with it - horrendous, vivid nightmares, black outs, seizures, and intense thoughts of suicide. My uncaring, uninformed and could-not-care-less doctor simply took me off those pills and put me on Celexa. While I was on Celexa the swishing sounds started as well as "brain zaps". I have since figured out from various forums and talking to another doctor that it was withdrawal from the Effexor. The Celexa did not help either and I did not trust that this doctor could help me so I stopped taking it as well. It took over six months for these withdrawal symptoms to subside to bearable and a full year for them to go away altogether. I have also had Tinnitus since my mid-twenties and it seems like these meds have now made it worse.

I still struggle with depression and have gotten nowhere with my doctors - one actually told me to go to the local hospital and ask for the mental health nurse and tell her I am suicidal, which I'm not - on my bad days I want to die but I certainly don't want to **** myself. I don't want to go back on those meds so I try to cope on my own. On my bad days I take St John's Wort which does help.
True friends are those that willingly stand beside you no matter how much s**t you are standing in.

#58 Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:29 AM

HI , I too googled "whooshing sound when looking" and found this forum. I came off celexa 2 weeks ago and still have the zaps and i now realize they happen with eye movement. I get the same symptoms all you other have too like lethargy, dizzyness and esp. vertigo. I felt it come on the day after i stopped the celexa/citalopram cold turkey. been over 2 wks now and the symptoms have got worse the first week and have been as intense for the last week without subsiding. I just hope it stops soon, it is driving me crazy and the only time it sops or lets up, is if i have a drink or two.
Seems like a not too well known withdrawal effect of AD espescially SSRI type drugs. thanks for sharing everyone, will keep you updated as to how long it takes for the symptoms to subside.

#59 mrsrob

mrsrob

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

New user - hi.

Worries me to hear some people have suffered with this problem for a long time.

I was on 200mg per day of Sertraline. I recently found out I was pregnant and my doctor told me to try coming off the Sertraline completely. So from that dose (and I've been on Sertraline and other SSRI's for about 2-2.5 years now) I am going cold turkey.

My mood so far is surprisingly good. However, if I move my eyes slightly too fast, I have the swishing sound you are all talking about. This makes me feel dizzy and just plain horrible.

My doctor didn't know what I was talking about and so I've been told to go back in a week if nothing changes.

Reading this forum, I'm worried that I'm going to need a degree of Sertraline forever to prevent these symptoms.

Anyone else in my position?

#60 Mike A

Mike A

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

Hi everyone. I started taking Effexor 2 years ago -- at age 60, my first encounter with psych meds -- and first noticed the eyeball swish 12-18 hours after missing a dose. Then it stopped a few hours after taking the next dose. It happened so predictably, that it was an effective alert to me that I had missed a dose.

Neither my psychiatrist nor my optometrist had heard of this effect.

A year ago I started a 4-step taper-off, and a month ago took my last dose. The steps down caused no problems, but with the step off the swishing came on with a vengeance: persistent and loud, whenever moving my eyes left or right (not up or down) even slightly. On the 2nd and 3rd days I also experienced some mild vertigo.

After day 3, no vertigo and the swishing began to diminish. Now, I only notice it if I'm tired (blood sugar?), or sometimes if I've just stood up from sitting (blood pressure?). Daily exercise, getting plenty of good food, drinking plenty of plain water, and getting a good sleep are all helpful for me. Slip up on any of these, and the swishing seems to be more likely to happen. But at least now when it does occur, it's only briefly, and not a big distraction. In time, I think it may disappear entirely.

btw, I have had mild tinnitus in both ears for 10+ years, and this withdrawal symptom is clearly something separate from that.

Good luck to all you good people. Remember that everything's temporary ... if you give it enough time. ... Mike

#61 Drakulea

Drakulea

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hey everybody!
Boy am I glad I found this thread.
I've been dealing with Swish Monster with the EXACT smpts like you guys describe, since October 2010.
On and off presentation- mostly on days with either not enough sleep or over-sleeping.
Have been on Effexor XR 225mg since sep2010.
No text book or drug side effect report had this smpt ANYWHERE!
My psychMD was puzzled too. Would get some relief w/meclizine and Zofran, but my day would be ruined !
Threw up many times when "swish swish" would happen.

For the past 3 days it is constant! Due to my crazy schedule, did not have time to pick up the refills for the Effexor .... Now I finally know why "swish monster" visits and I remember all the times I missed my dose bc of my schedule.
Thank you for this post. I feel like I finally got the "swish" by it's ears. :)

Edited by lindahurt, 06 September 2011 - 06:00 PM.

#62 NoamSane

NoamSane

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:22 AM

Hi Folks,

I describe it more as a buzzing sound and I associate it w/tinnitus. I had an inner ear infecttion as a little kid and my balance has never been right. Tinnitus manifests itself as buzzing and clicking noises rather than tones.

I have always felt that this buzzing or zipping sound when my eyes move was because of sinus problems. This last time I started getting post nasal drip the same time the buzzing (and accompanying minor balance or nauseating symptoms) started. But I had never even thought of it having anything to do w/ meds.

Well, it just so happens that I have just finished tapering off the tofranil (imipramine) before the 2 week wash-out before I go back to nardil (MAOI). So now I don't know what to think. I may ask my Psyc MD if I can go back ON a small dose of the imipramine to see if the buzzing goes away. I will also ask my GP for something for the sinuses to see if that does anything.

Thanks, all, for posting your findings or suspicions because, the more who do, the more Google matches this thread is likely to get and the more people could either be helped or will AT LEAST find out they aren't alone and that there's a possible explanation for it.

Edited by NoamSane, 08 September 2011 - 06:24 AM.

#63 wiican

wiican

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:24 AM

Mike

Never seen this experience so well described as on this forum. Have been on Effexor XR in combination with other meds for over dozen years. I get the sound described when I close eyes when my dose of an antidepressant is raised a bit too much.

Crazy people are those who don't see a psychiatrist, not those of us who do:)

Edited by wiican, 20 September 2011 - 12:46 AM.

#64 Tuoldo

Tuoldo

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

New user - hi.

Worries me to hear some people have suffered with this problem for a long time.

I was on 200mg per day of Sertraline. I recently found out I was pregnant and my doctor told me to try coming off the Sertraline completely. So from that dose (and I've been on Sertraline and other SSRI's for about 2-2.5 years now) I am going cold turkey.

My mood so far is surprisingly good. However, if I move my eyes slightly too fast, I have the swishing sound you are all talking about. This makes me feel dizzy and just plain horrible.

My doctor didn't know what I was talking about and so I've been told to go back in a week if nothing changes.

Reading this forum, I'm worried that I'm going to need a degree of Sertraline forever to prevent these symptoms.

Anyone else in my position?

Hi mrsrob; again, new-user here, registered only to thank people for posting re this subject, and to add my experience of the "condition" as well...........

I`m just like you, I was on Sertraline for about 6 months (wife is on second bout of cancer now, and we have young children, so a VERY stressful time for us all...)

Anyway, approx 3 weeks ago, I came down with a chest infection, and was given antibiotics to treat this. At the time, I forgot to ask the Doc if the antibiotics could clash with the Sertraline, and, thinking I needed the a/bio`s more, I came off the Sertraline competely, as I was told a while ago by the Doc that it was non-addictive, and as such, I didn`t see a problem in coming off ALL of it, rather than weaning off, etc.....

Looking back now, I think the eyeball-swooshing started within a few days, accompanied by excessive tiredness (honestly, even with 8 hours sleep a night I can fall asleep on a clothes line...........anytime LOL)

Must admit though, and it`s only struck me this evening, I am now starting to feel quite depressed again, and I have taken another Sertraline again this evening, with the thoughts of going back on it to see if it helps ?

In light of this info though, I suspect a re-visit to the Doc`s may be the best thing, rather than going straight back on the Sert, if it`s causing these problems.

Again....................thanks for your input eveyone, certainly helps to find you`re not on your own with this one.............Posted Image

#65 RM3403

RM3403

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

I too am having the noise behind the eyes symptom. I will say as I have read many others have already stated, it could be related to anti depressents. I recently stopped taking lexapro. I was jist searchong online for the "noise behind eye" symptoms and found this forum. It was very informative and helpful.

Thank you very much!

#66 David Rickman

David Rickman

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hi All,

I too joined this group after yet another extensive search for answers to, what may be, the same condition.

I call them "zing-zings". These occur either when moving my eyes, or holding my eyes in position and turning my head to either side. If this makes any sense, they seem to have a 'pattern', or 'beat' to the zings. Example: " zing, zing, zing ... a missed zings ... zing ... several missed zings ... zing, zing."

Is this similar to what some of you are experiencing?

I've had this for years, son it doesn't concern me ... just makes me quite curious. The only medication that's been common over the years is Neurontin, and Ambien. I just started taking Effexor, and used to take Cymbalta.

Regards,

David L. Rickman

#67 ken_baumgartner

ken_baumgartner

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

I've recently stopped Paxil for the second time. This time was taking 20 mg per day, then started breaking the pills in half, then stopped completely. I got the swishy eyeballs when I dropped from 20mg to 10mg (didn't last long), and now I've got them again since I've stopped completely. Same thing happened when I went off Paxil the first time. It eventually goes away after 2-3 weeks I've found. Just another withdrawal symptom in my case. Super annoying, but no big deal.

#68 CFS Man

CFS Man

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

Mike

This is an old thread but I wanted to thank Mike (original poster) and also David Rickman (last but one post) for articulating what I too have experienced and have struggled to put into words for years. I recently stepped down my Venlafaxine med from 75mg/day to 37/day and am now off the Venlafaxine and trying St John's Wort instead. I have had CFS (on and off) for 16+ years and was taking Venlafaxine for 7+ years to treat depression which I have always felt to be a side-effect of my CFS rather than the cause.

The reason I came to this forum was to find out if my swish-swish symptoms are a side effect of coming off Venlafaxine. They could be but thinking about it, I have experienced the same symptoms for years, even whilst on Venlafaxine. The swish-swish sensation only occurs when I am feeling physically ill or really run down. If I had to verbalise my symptoms to my doctor, this is how I would describe them:

When moving my eyeballs or head, I get a ‘swish-swish’ sensation inside my head, accompanied by a wave of dizziness and light-headedness and momentary disorientation. My brain feels very foggy. The nearest I can get to describing this swish-swish sensation is that it's like the sound/sensation of blood being pumped through a heart, only it's happening inside my head. The swish-swish sensation is sometimes more of a 'zing-zing' than a 'swish-swish' and it feels like an electrical current or pulse is passing through my head.

I would love to know what is causing the swish-swish or zing-zing.

Edited by CFS Man, 05 January 2012 - 05:45 AM.

#69 Duality

Duality

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hey folks,

Thought I'd throw my 2c in here too to help out those experiencing this (good to know I'm not the only one). Was on Lexapro (20mg) for 1-2 years and this month started moving off it with the help of a GP.

4 week plan for me (self designed and OK'd by her) was.

Wk 1: 20mg.
Wk 2: 15mg.
Wk 3: 10mg.
Wk 4: 5mg.

Thought that'd be slow enough to stop any side effects. For the most part it worked, until the last few days. I've been off it for about a week now, and 3 days into this week I started getting the 'swooshy eyeballs' thing. =_= Very, very annoying. It's intrusive when you're trying to live your life, as it does make it hard to focus. I actually experienced a mild form of this when I first went ONTO Lexapro, so I'm not overly concerned as there's sure as hell no way this is unrelated to me decreasing dosage. And I've done it as safely as possible, with GP support. Nothing much else to report, minor headachyness and feeling a little 'dizzy'.

As the other posters have said, when you move your eyes side to side in particular, you get this weird 'swooshy' effect and can even hear it, though I suspect I'm not hearing something real... There's not enough mechanical movement there for that. It feels to me more like a rush of blood, almost as if something jumps out at you and startles you. And no, I don't hear voices or any of that, emotionally I'm totally fine too, just this lingering annoying side effect hanging around that is bothering me!

It's annoying to not be in control of it, but I'm pushing on. If I can remember I'll jump back on here and update this with the time it took to subside so others have a clearer idea of what to expect. =)

#70 ple

ple

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thank God I found this site. I have been experiencing this "swishing" sound in my head when I turn my head or eyeballs for a while now and have gone to see several doctors and even have an MRI scheduled. I have taken prozac in the past but have been on Cymbalta for a while for Fibromyalgia and depression caused by that and Rheumatoid arthritis. This has been making me even more depressed because the doctors look at me like I am crazy or something. I'm sorry you all have also been having these bizarre symptoms but as least we are starting to see a pattern. You get it with or without the depression medicine, but even worse when you try to get off it, right? Mine has gotten worse when I tried to wean myself off of the cymbalta after I felt it was making my depression worse - or at least not helping the fibromyalgia or the RA any. From all of your comments it sounds like I have to get back to taking the Cymbalta or even increasing it to calm it down. To "Duality" and everyone else, please re-post your progress as soon as you come up with anything new. At least I know I am not "crazy and just hearing things that are not really there". Thanks for that.

#71 dpotthast

dpotthast

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

I too have had these symptoms for over ten years. I have a bachelors in biological psychology and stopped worrying when I discovered the colliculi. in the hind brain, there are two regions that neighbor eachother, one known as the inferior colliculus (for hearing) and superior colliculus (for sight). there is a strong seratonergic influence in this region which likely explains why symptoms vary with ssri intake. strong motor movements of the eye will be accompanied by increased activity in the superior colliculus, this activation can spread to the inferior colliculus inducing the sensation of sounds. I imagine feelings of vertigo could be related to hindbrain regions associated with the vestibular system of the inner ear also being activated. again I have had this for over ten years and have no other symptoms of neurological disease, perhaps this will ease some minds out there. for myself it is a bit bothersome when I wake up, but it vanishes after a few minutes... I would say that it reflects some imbalance in seratonin and is a symptom of the brain reacting to this imbalance. not a doctor,nif symptoms persist, see one :)

#72 Giraffe59

Giraffe59

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

I am using Venlafaxine (Efexor) 75 mg for years now, and I suddenly stopped (stupid me). Now I have the same symptoms.

But I had these symptoms too about 40 years ago, as I remember these same sounds in my head (don't know it was affected by moving my eyeballs), and at those days I did not take any drug at all.

Thanx to all contributors, now I can place the sound, and the cause. And I will behave and take my medicine again.

#73 michaeljoefox

michaeljoefox

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

Ok all, although I haven't registered until now, I've been following this and other forums relating to this situation regarding "swishies" (as everyone has their own name for them) I've discussed this with my Dr. and ended up in the hospital for this because it had literally driven me to insanity. The constant noise, the head rush feeling, dizziness, and this all began the first time my med doc tried to take me from Lexapro and put me on another med. Now, even though I'm back on Lexapro, the same MG, i have been experiencing the swishies since, and it is awful. I printed out EVERY SINGLE PAGE I could find regarding this awful symptom, and brought it with me both to the ER and to the DR so they didn't think I was crazy. Luckily, my Doc was actually quite appreciative in the sense that he took all of my pages and promised to submit them to the Lexapro rep the next time they come so they can start getting this documented, as apparently I'm not the only person this is affecting. (effecting? affecting? Always confused!) It brings me great comfort in knowing i'm not alone, and I hope this does the same for the rest of you, just please bear with us and the medical world to try and get this documented and fixed, hopefully sooner than later. Best of luck to everyone, and thanks for being there.

- Joe

#74 meistersinger

meistersinger

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Ok all, although I haven't registered until now, I've been following this and other forums relating to this situation regarding "swishies" (as everyone has their own name for them) I've discussed this with my Dr. and ended up in the hospital for this because it had literally driven me to insanity. The constant noise, the head rush feeling, dizziness, and this all began the first time my med doc tried to take me from Lexapro and put me on another med. Now, even though I'm back on Lexapro, the same MG, i have been experiencing the swishies since, and it is awful. I printed out EVERY SINGLE PAGE I could find regarding this awful symptom, and brought it with me both to the ER and to the DR so they didn't think I was crazy. Luckily, my Doc was actually quite appreciative in the sense that he took all of my pages and promised to submit them to the Lexapro rep the next time they come so they can start getting this documented, as apparently I'm not the only person this is affecting. (effecting? affecting? Always confused!) It brings me great comfort in knowing i'm not alone, and I hope this does the same for the rest of you, just please bear with us and the medical world to try and get this documented and fixed, hopefully sooner than later. Best of luck to everyone, and thanks for being there.

- Joe

You will also want to report this to the FDA, if you live in the US. They have a database to report adverse drug side effects.

#75 Megan286

Megan286

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

go to an Opthalmologist. PCP's usually don't have the specialty knowledge needed and it might end up taking a lot of time. If you call an eye dr.'s office, tell whoever answers the phone your problem, that you are a new patient, and they should write your problem down, put it back there for the dr to read, and see if he wants to work you in. I'm sure the eye dr. would help you and it's better to be safe than sorry.

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure... think about such things."

Above all else, guard your heart.

"When all the clouds roll away and the sun begins to shine, I see my freedom from across the way and it comes right on time... makes me feel so free, makes me feel like me, and it lights my life with love."

-Van Morrison

#76 claycochaser

claycochaser

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hey guys. Same exact symptoms here. Glad Im not alone. Im crrently taking paxil and lamictal. My only concern is every poster states the swishes were related to missing or stopping meds. I take on a regular basos and have never missed or stopped. Thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users