mtown67

Swishing Sound When You Move Your Eyeballs?

76 posts in this topic

Posted

I know this sounds odd, but I have been having these swishing sounds go off whenever my eyeballs move. I don't remember when it started, but I am really aware of the sound now. I have not been able to pinpoint which one of my meds might be causing this.

Just checking to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Mike

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi Mike

I think it's probably best to go to your doc, as this may not even be depression or med related.

Some other members may have some insight, but I highly recommend asking your doc.

Trace

Posted

Hi Mike

I think it's probably best to go to your doc, as this may not even be depression or med related.

Some other members may have some insight, but I highly recommend asking your doc.

Trace

Thanks Trace. I did. He said he never heard of it before. I did one exhaustive search on the web and found a couple of people with a similar condition. The one thing we all had in common was we are all on some for of medication for depression or anxiety. I just want to see if others might be experiencing similar results.

Thanks.

Mike

Umar likes this

Posted

Dry eye? Have a chat with the pharmacist who might be able to throw some light onto the symptoms. I have tinnitus every day but not all day, I suddenly become aware of buzzing in the area of my ears <rolls eyes>. My late Aunt had dry mouth due to medication. Sometimes my eyes feel gritty .......

Posted

I know this sounds odd, but I have been having these swishing sounds go off whenever my eyeballs move. I don't remember when it started, but I am really aware of the sound now. I have not been able to pinpoint which one of my meds might be causing this.

Mike

Mike,

It does sound odd, doesn't it? But I experience it also. And my doctor looked at me like I was crazy when I told him.

I notice it mostly when I miss a day or two of meds (zoloft).. when I move my eyes fast from left to right, up to down, etc.., when I blink.. I can even "feel" the swish in my fingers sometimes. It's maddening at times. It does make me feel better though that I'm not the only one experiencing this side-effect! Hopefully, someone will find out what this is soon!!

keeke and bhasski like this

Posted

This is so odd! I'm having the same problem! I haven't taken my zoloft at all this week and noticed the sound too! In addition to sounds, I also get a strange sensation when I move my eye from one thing to the next too quickly. It feels a bit like dizziness. But the sound is definitely there too.

Posted

Mike

It may not be the same thing, but sometimes my eyes get puffy after a night of deep sleep. They tend to make the "swish" sound you're describing. It also tends to happen after I've been staring at a monitor for extended periods.

An eye mask of some kind could help.

Posted (edited)

hello.Mike

I found this site just 10 minutes by searching the keywords"Paxil"and"eyeballs". . I had taken Paxil nearly 3 years for my anxiety and stopped it last year. when I was under the treatment, I had experienced this feeling as Brogan19 said".....I haven't taken my zoloft at all this week and noticed the sound too! In addition to sounds, I also get a strange sensation when I move my eye from one thing to the next too quickly. It feels a bit like dizziness....". Today, I has stopped it nearly 2 years but still I have this

trouble. This feeling will be more obvious if I had a bad sleep. It's not a dizziness and looks like a throb caused by some branches of nervous system.

I asked for help from my doctor last month,however, he told me it was strange for no report on this side-effect untill now. I believe it is a disease of brain or nervous system, thus I am seeking for its treatment. Maybe we'd better to send a mail to the manufactures and try to beat it together.

It's so interesting that this damned side-effect exists all over the world.I am Chinese and now in my own country and I am waiting for your replies here.

Enki

Edited by enki
bhasski likes this

Posted

Dear Mtown67,

I also had this experience of a swishing sound when moving my eyes. In my case, it was caused by being heavily over medicated by an incompetent doctor. At the time I was on 700 mg of effexor per day. I hope this helps. You may need to see another doctor for a second opinion. I've been astounded by the differeing levels of skill and experience amongst mental health pros of all stripes.

Best wishes for your health and happiness.

Regards,

Xephon

Posted

Hello eye swishers,

I'm going to say this is an anxiety symptom. Anxiety can sometimes make my eyes painful to move and make is hard to focus on anything. Utter hell when you're at work and you feel people are staring through you. I have noticed it can cause muscles to tighten up.

Posted

Mike

Mike,

It does sound odd, doesn't it? But I experience it also. And my doctor looked at me like I was crazy when I told him.

I notice it mostly when I miss a day or two of meds (zoloft).. when I move my eyes fast from left to right, up to down, etc.., when I blink.. I can even "feel" the swish in my fingers sometimes. It's maddening at times. It does make me feel better though that I'm not the only one experiencing this side-effect! Hopefully, someone will find out what this is soon!!

I hate you guys are going through this but I am releived because i had no idea what was happening to me. I stopped Lex about week ago and have been dizzy and when i turn my head it takes a split second for my eyes to catch up and i have a VERY annoying swishing noise when i move my eyes or look around or even when walking......anyone else????????

Posted

Mike

I have been experiencing vertigo and the swishing noises along with feeling like i am going to lose it at times, i have been off lex 10 mg cold turkey for a week....its been an emotional roller coaster.....do you have any other symptoms or is anyone else out there ever had this? please let me know....thx

Posted

Dear Mtown67,

I also had this experience of a swishing sound when moving my eyes. In my case, it was caused by being heavily over medicated by an incompetent doctor. At the time I was on 700 mg of effexor per day. I hope this helps. You may need to see another doctor for a second opinion. I've been astounded by the differeing levels of skill and experience amongst mental health pros of all stripes.

Regards,

Xephon

did you have any other symptoms? i have vertigo and emotional high / lows...my vision is also distorted????please let me know...thanks

Posted

Dear Mtown67,

Regards,

Xephon

did you have any other symptoms? i have vertigo and emotional high / lows...my vision is also distorted????please let me know...thanks

Yes I had those as well. The dizzyness and vertigo often happened during work, where I had to move quickly to fill the orders of customers at a food market. Whenever I would turn around I would experiemce the woozy feeling in the eyes.

Posted

Dry eye? Have a chat with the pharmacist who might be able to throw some light onto the symptoms. I have tinnitus every day but not all day, I suddenly become aware of buzzing in the area of my ears <rolls eyes>. My late Aunt had dry mouth due to medication. Sometimes my eyes feel gritty .......

Wait, that buzzing sound is tinnitus? I thought it was the sound of silence :hearts:

Posted

I have the what I call the "swish swish" too, and I know why it happens to me. I am on one of the older MAOI's called Parnate. I talked to my Doctor about it and she said the drug's presence in my blood level is so sensitive that I have to take the medication at exactly the same time every morning to prevent the levels from dropping. I'm okay if I take it a little early, but if I take it even 1 hour past the usual time, the swishing starts. For me, the swishing is constant and horrible. Even if I sit perfectly still and just move my eyes just one tiny bit, I hear it. I also get nauseaus and my brain feels like its pressing on the inside of my skull. I can't function at all, much less try to go anywhere. My med time is 5:00am, so if I sleep through the alarm, the swish monster is there when I wake up. To help me get through this, I take a little extra medication and lay down for about an hour. Then I eat something sweet and something salty, take a hot shower, then just sit for a while. I can usually feel okay enough to get dressed an go to work, but I feel like crap all day. I don't fully recover from the whole episode until the following morning.

Posted

I have the what I call the "swish swish" too, and I know why it happens to me. I am on one of the older MAOI's called Parnate. I talked to my Doctor about it and she said the drug's presence in my blood level is so sensitive that I have to take the medication at exactly the same time every morning to prevent the levels from dropping. I'm okay if I take it a little early, but if I take it even 1 hour past the usual time, the swishing starts. For me, the swishing is constant and horrible. Even if I sit perfectly still and just move my eyes just one tiny bit, I hear it. I also get nauseaus and my brain feels like its pressing on the inside of my skull. I can't function at all, much less try to go anywhere. My med time is 5:00am, so if I sleep through the alarm, the swish monster is there when I wake up. To help me get through this, I take a little extra medication and lay down for about an hour. Then I eat something sweet and something salty, take a hot shower, then just sit for a while. I can usually feel okay enough to get dressed an go to work, but I feel like crap all day. I don't fully recover from the whole episode until the following morning.

Wow!

I thought I was alone in this "swishing" sound! Yes, I've had it most if not all of my life. No one I ever spoke to heard of this not even my doctor,

It is a relief to hear others have this. I would not worry in the least as it has not "hurt" me all these years.

I can comment on the dizzy feeling as I get that too. For me it related to a "middle" ear problem. I had vertigo in 1988 from an ear infection (or so they said I felt fine except for severe dizzyness) My eys would roll back and forth like crazy for two weeks off and on. Antihistamines like diphenhydramine helped a lot but it was awful. I thew up as well. Anyway, since then, I get dizzy easy so I learn to relax and try not to stare up at tall buildings or objects or allow my eyes to dart back and forth too much.

Thanks for writing about this

Glen AKA theswan

Posted

I thought I was going nuts with this "swishing" sound. It is comforting to know that others have this as well.

I am taking Mobic for arthritis, Requip for RLS (restless leg syndrom) and just finished Cymbalta (for depression brought on by constant pain). Also take 1 or 2 Lortabs at night so I can sleep. I've been taking Requip and Cymbalta since July. These meds cause a lot of fatigue - no energy at all. I decided to skip all but the Lortab one night and all the next day I had the "swish swish" or "swish, swish, swish" every few minutes and a dizzy feeling. The feeling was not uncomfortable and lasted only a few seconds, but I knew something was wrong.

Went back on the meds and no more "swishing" or dizziness. Stopped again for one night and it all came back. Thought that it must be the meds reactiopn, or rather, lack of the meds reaction. Went back on the meds and it stopped. Finished the Cymbalta (no refills) and the swishing and dizziness now occurs all day - 5 or 6 times a minute. I've noticed that it occurs when I move my eyes (open or closed does not matter) or when I move my head. It is always 2 swishes or 3 swishes along with the dizziness.

If I'm walking or talking I pause for a moment. Must be careful when driving.

This is weird... my wife will put her ear next to mine and will tell me if she hears it. She can hear it at the same time I hear it!

Will make an appointment with family doc and keep you posted.

Thanks,

CoosaRiver

Posted

I thought I was going nuts with this "swishing" sound. It is comforting to know that others have this as well.

I am taking Mobic for arthritis, Requip for RLS (restless leg syndrom) and just finished Cymbalta (for depression brought on by constant pain). Also take 1 or 2 Lortabs at night so I can sleep. I've been taking Requip and Cymbalta since July. These meds cause a lot of fatigue - no energy at all. I decided to skip all but the Lortab one night and all the next day I had the "swish swish" or "swish, swish, swish" every few minutes and a dizzy feeling. The feeling was not uncomfortable and lasted only a few seconds, but I knew something was wrong.

Went back on the meds and no more "swishing" or dizziness. Stopped again for one night and it all came back. Thought that it must be the meds reactiopn, or rather, lack of the meds reaction. Went back on the meds and it stopped. Finished the Cymbalta (no refills) and the swishing and dizziness now occurs all day - 5 or 6 times a minute. I've noticed that it occurs when I move my eyes (open or closed does not matter) or when I move my head. It is always 2 swishes or 3 swishes along with the dizziness.

If I'm walking or talking I pause for a moment. Must be careful when driving.

This is weird... my wife will put her ear next to mine and will tell me if she hears it. She can hear it at the same time I hear it!

Will make an appointment with family doc and keep you posted.

Thanks,

CoosaRiver

I'm so glad I found all of you! I had the swishing sounds also. They started over a year ago while I was on Lexapro & Wellbutrin. I gradually phased out Lexapro and then a few months later while still on Wellbutrin the sounds came back. I told my brother who is a surgeon and he said he never heard of anything like it, and for the first time since he graduated med school over 20 years ago, had no suggestions.

I kind of put up with it as it was never constant. But I think I found the culptrit(s). I have noticed that whenever I had ANYTHING

that was "relaxing", especially at night, the sounds started in my sleep and always continued into my waking hours and often the rest of the day. Depending on the "relaxation" determined how often and for how long the swishing sounds lasted. What have I taken for relaxation:

1. Alcohol, even only one glass of alcohol or alcohol with dinner.

2. Even just one toke of illegal drug.

3. Night-time allergy and/or pain medication.

4. Any sleep promoting drug or substance.

Since I have stopped taking any of these, the sounds have stopped. Apparently, these interact with ALL ant-depressants/anti-anxiety meds, because the selection of drug names that each of us are on seem to cover almost every brand.

Lets face it, if we're taking these meds, we're prone to having a drink, a toke, or an Ambien.

Keep in mind, I found this only works with absolute abstinence from the above, and may take a few days or even a few weeks depending on what and how often you have been "relaxing". You may have even combined some of these. Who hasn't?

I hope this works for all of you.

Akiva

Posted

Mike

It is amazing that you can type in a symptom and find an entire forum! I had no idea. I'm so glad to hear that there are other people out there that have these weirdo symptoms. I occasionally have this problem and sometimes it will last a day or so and sometimes just a few hours. I know this was posted a while back, but I just found it. I felt I needed to join to learn some things and I especially wanted to reply to this. I'm very anxious right now with all the family coming to my home for Thanksgiving and I have sssooooo much to do. Also, I have been on my computer A LOT the last couple of days in a frantic rush to find last minute hotel and air deals for a last minute trip immediately after the holiday. My feelings are that it is a touch of both anxiety to make sure all gets done in time AND spending a lot of time with my head down looking into my laptop. I'm hoping now that a good deal of that is behind me and a good night of sleep will make things better tomorrow. I'm praying that it will be! Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Posted

It's probably related in no way to your mental conditions, but whenever you feel something wrong in your head (Especially eyes or ears), it's best to tell a doctor, just in case it's serious. You probably wouldn't like being blind.

Posted

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Mike, thanks for writing on this forum about the swishing eye problem. I am a migraine sufferer (not too bad) and take many meds that work with the serotonin levels. I think I forgot to take my pills 2 times this week, which is strange for me, and I'm sitting here typing this trying to not get dizzy.

And thanks to all the other who posted/replied - it's nice to know I am not alone.

Did anyone's doctor have a specific treatment/suggestion to lessen or make it go away? Any help is appreciated.

Posted

Mike

Thank God for this Forum. I found this forum by searching on Google for "hear my eyeballs move." I suffer from Anxiety and Depression. I was on Paxil for two years, and just recently been placed on Wellbutrin and Lamictal. My psychiatrist wanted to get me off of the Paxil so he reduced my dosage from 20 mg to mg for a few months and then this past week when I saw him on Thursday, he said to split my last Paxil into fourths and take one fourth each day until it was gone. My last 5mg was this past Sunday. By Tuesday at Noon I started feeling Nauseous and actually threw up, was feeling dizzy and light headed. Still feeling this way Today (Wednesday) I had noticed another symptom I was experiencing was that I could hear my eyeballs move, like a swooshing sound. So I found this Forum and called my Psychiatrist to explain what I had been feeling. He asked me to come in and said that all of these symptoms were classic symptoms of coming off of Paxil, except for the eye swooshing noise, he hadn't heard of that before. So he decided to put me back on Paxil, I just took 10mg. He promised I would feel "normal" by tomorrow this same time and to call him to let him know I am feeling. I will also post here again to let you know how I am feeling. But apparently the eye swooshing noise is an effect of coming off of these medicines, so if you miss a couple days or quit altogether you might experience this symptom. So if you are reading this because you went searching for why you could hear your eyeballs move, know you arent crazy ( I know I thought I was crazy for even searching for it, but I am glad I did) and you should call your doctor. Thanks again so much.

Brent

Posted

Mike

Posted

Mike

Mike,

Did the swishing sound go away for you yet? I've been on sertraline for about six months. I decided I was ready to get off the med (generic Zoloft) about two weeks ago or so. I broke my 50mg pills in half and took 25mg for a few days, then 25mg every other day for another few days and haven't had any for over a week now. I can't remember when I first noticed my swishy sounding eyeballs, but it's been several days now. I'm also pretty darn tired. I haven't been sleeping too well at night. My swishy eyeball sound and that slight sense of motion right at the end of my eyeball moves reminds me quite a bit of the same sensation I usually get when I get sick, like with a cold or sinus infection or some other respiratory or fever bringing illness. It really only bothered me to begin because I thought I might be getting something. I am not a very physically healthy person and the fear of respiratory infections for me is huge. Also, everyone else who's had this experience coming off anti-depressants, how are you all doing? Did your swishy, dizzy eyeball problems go away? Thanks.