Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Swishing Sound When You Move Your Eyeballs?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#1 mtown67

mtown67

ID: 23851

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:34 AM

I know this sounds odd, but I have been having these swishing sounds go off whenever my eyeballs move. I don't remember when it started, but I am really aware of the sound now. I have not been able to pinpoint which one of my meds might be causing this.

Just checking to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Mike
"If it takes six hours to chop down a tree, spend four hours sharpening your axe" - Abraham Lincoln

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:38 AM

Hi Mike

I think it's probably best to go to your doc, as this may not even be depression or med related.
Some other members may have some insight, but I highly recommend asking your doc.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 mtown67

mtown67

ID: 23851

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:45 AM

Hi Mike

I think it's probably best to go to your doc, as this may not even be depression or med related.
Some other members may have some insight, but I highly recommend asking your doc.

Trace

Thanks Trace. I did. He said he never heard of it before. I did one exhaustive search on the web and found a couple of people with a similar condition. The one thing we all had in common was we are all on some for of medication for depression or anxiety. I just want to see if others might be experiencing similar results.

Thanks.

Mike
  • Umar likes this
"If it takes six hours to chop down a tree, spend four hours sharpening your axe" - Abraham Lincoln

#4 Lizzy

Lizzy

ID: 17

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

Dry eye? Have a chat with the pharmacist who might be able to throw some light onto the symptoms. I have tinnitus every day but not all day, I suddenly become aware of buzzing in the area of my ears <rolls eyes>. My late Aunt had dry mouth due to medication. Sometimes my eyes feel gritty .......
Lizzy
Any change is scary even when we want it Posted Image

#5 mattw

mattw

Just Registered

ID: 26783

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:32 PM

I know this sounds odd, but I have been having these swishing sounds go off whenever my eyeballs move. I don't remember when it started, but I am really aware of the sound now. I have not been able to pinpoint which one of my meds might be causing this.

Mike

Mike,

It does sound odd, doesn't it? But I experience it also. And my doctor looked at me like I was crazy when I told him.

I notice it mostly when I miss a day or two of meds (zoloft).. when I move my eyes fast from left to right, up to down, etc.., when I blink.. I can even "feel" the swish in my fingers sometimes. It's maddening at times. It does make me feel better though that I'm not the only one experiencing this side-effect! Hopefully, someone will find out what this is soon!!

#6 Brogan19

Brogan19

Just Registered

ID: 27294

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:23 AM

This is so odd! I'm having the same problem! I haven't taken my zoloft at all this week and noticed the sound too! In addition to sounds, I also get a strange sensation when I move my eye from one thing to the next too quickly. It feels a bit like dizziness. But the sound is definitely there too.

#7 Paper Tiger

Paper Tiger

ID: 27055

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

Mike

It may not be the same thing, but sometimes my eyes get puffy after a night of deep sleep. They tend to make the "swish" sound you're describing. It also tends to happen after I've been staring at a monitor for extended periods.

An eye mask of some kind could help.
"I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose."
- George Carlin

#8 enki

enki

Just Registered

ID: 28322

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:25 AM

hello.Mike

I found this site just 10 minutes by searching the keywords"Paxil"and"eyeballs". . I had taken Paxil nearly 3 years for my anxiety and stopped it last year. when I was under the treatment, I had experienced this feeling as Brogan19 said".....I haven't taken my zoloft at all this week and noticed the sound too! In addition to sounds, I also get a strange sensation when I move my eye from one thing to the next too quickly. It feels a bit like dizziness....". Today, I has stopped it nearly 2 years but still I have this
trouble. This feeling will be more obvious if I had a bad sleep. It's not a dizziness and looks like a throb caused by some branches of nervous system.
I asked for help from my doctor last month,however, he told me it was strange for no report on this side-effect untill now. I believe it is a disease of brain or nervous system, thus I am seeking for its treatment. Maybe we'd better to send a mail to the manufactures and try to beat it together.

It's so interesting that this damned side-effect exists all over the world.I am Chinese and now in my own country and I am waiting for your replies here.

Enki

Edited by enki, 28 August 2008 - 02:27 AM.

#9 Xephon

Xephon

Advanced Member

ID: 27617

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:18 AM

Dear Mtown67,

I also had this experience of a swishing sound when moving my eyes. In my case, it was caused by being heavily over medicated by an incompetent doctor. At the time I was on 700 mg of effexor per day. I hope this helps. You may need to see another doctor for a second opinion. I've been astounded by the differeing levels of skill and experience amongst mental health pros of all stripes.
Best wishes for your health and happiness.

Regards,
Xephon
It is only for the sake of those without hope that hope is given to us.
-Walter Benjamin

#10 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

ID: 12666

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hello eye swishers,

I'm going to say this is an anxiety symptom. Anxiety can sometimes make my eyes painful to move and make is hard to focus on anything. Utter hell when you're at work and you feel people are staring through you. I have noticed it can cause muscles to tighten up.
Beating depression since 2007

#11 skyland

skyland

Just Registered

ID: 28429

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

Mike

Mike,

It does sound odd, doesn't it? But I experience it also. And my doctor looked at me like I was crazy when I told him.

I notice it mostly when I miss a day or two of meds (zoloft).. when I move my eyes fast from left to right, up to down, etc.., when I blink.. I can even "feel" the swish in my fingers sometimes. It's maddening at times. It does make me feel better though that I'm not the only one experiencing this side-effect! Hopefully, someone will find out what this is soon!!

I hate you guys are going through this but I am releived because i had no idea what was happening to me. I stopped Lex about week ago and have been dizzy and when i turn my head it takes a split second for my eyes to catch up and i have a VERY annoying swishing noise when i move my eyes or look around or even when walking......anyone else????????

#12 skyland

skyland

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

Mike

I have been experiencing vertigo and the swishing noises along with feeling like i am going to lose it at times, i have been off lex 10 mg cold turkey for a week....its been an emotional roller coaster.....do you have any other symptoms or is anyone else out there ever had this? please let me know....thx

#13 skyland

skyland

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

Dear Mtown67,

I also had this experience of a swishing sound when moving my eyes. In my case, it was caused by being heavily over medicated by an incompetent doctor. At the time I was on 700 mg of effexor per day. I hope this helps. You may need to see another doctor for a second opinion. I've been astounded by the differeing levels of skill and experience amongst mental health pros of all stripes.

Regards,
Xephon

did you have any other symptoms? i have vertigo and emotional high / lows...my vision is also distorted????please let me know...thanks

#14 Xephon

Xephon

Advanced Member

ID: 27617

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

Dear Mtown67,

Regards,
Xephon

did you have any other symptoms? i have vertigo and emotional high / lows...my vision is also distorted????please let me know...thanks

Yes I had those as well. The dizzyness and vertigo often happened during work, where I had to move quickly to fill the orders of customers at a food market. Whenever I would turn around I would experiemce the woozy feeling in the eyes.
It is only for the sake of those without hope that hope is given to us.
-Walter Benjamin

#15 A_W

A_W

Just Registered

ID: 25260

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

Dry eye? Have a chat with the pharmacist who might be able to throw some light onto the symptoms. I have tinnitus every day but not all day, I suddenly become aware of buzzing in the area of my ears <rolls eyes>. My late Aunt had dry mouth due to medication. Sometimes my eyes feel gritty .......

Wait, that buzzing sound is tinnitus? I thought it was the sound of silence :hearts:
"I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me."

- Dave Barry

#16 Ripley

Ripley

Just Registered

ID: 28526

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

I have the what I call the "swish swish" too, and I know why it happens to me. I am on one of the older MAOI's called Parnate. I talked to my Doctor about it and she said the drug's presence in my blood level is so sensitive that I have to take the medication at exactly the same time every morning to prevent the levels from dropping. I'm okay if I take it a little early, but if I take it even 1 hour past the usual time, the swishing starts. For me, the swishing is constant and horrible. Even if I sit perfectly still and just move my eyes just one tiny bit, I hear it. I also get nauseaus and my brain feels like its pressing on the inside of my skull. I can't function at all, much less try to go anywhere. My med time is 5:00am, so if I sleep through the alarm, the swish monster is there when I wake up. To help me get through this, I take a little extra medication and lay down for about an hour. Then I eat something sweet and something salty, take a hot shower, then just sit for a while. I can usually feel okay enough to get dressed an go to work, but I feel like crap all day. I don't fully recover from the whole episode until the following morning.

#17 theswan

theswan

ID: 28546

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

I have the what I call the "swish swish" too, and I know why it happens to me. I am on one of the older MAOI's called Parnate. I talked to my Doctor about it and she said the drug's presence in my blood level is so sensitive that I have to take the medication at exactly the same time every morning to prevent the levels from dropping. I'm okay if I take it a little early, but if I take it even 1 hour past the usual time, the swishing starts. For me, the swishing is constant and horrible. Even if I sit perfectly still and just move my eyes just one tiny bit, I hear it. I also get nauseaus and my brain feels like its pressing on the inside of my skull. I can't function at all, much less try to go anywhere. My med time is 5:00am, so if I sleep through the alarm, the swish monster is there when I wake up. To help me get through this, I take a little extra medication and lay down for about an hour. Then I eat something sweet and something salty, take a hot shower, then just sit for a while. I can usually feel okay enough to get dressed an go to work, but I feel like crap all day. I don't fully recover from the whole episode until the following morning.

Wow!

I thought I was alone in this "swishing" sound! Yes, I've had it most if not all of my life. No one I ever spoke to heard of this not even my doctor,

It is a relief to hear others have this. I would not worry in the least as it has not "hurt" me all these years.

I can comment on the dizzy feeling as I get that too. For me it related to a "middle" ear problem. I had vertigo in 1988 from an ear infection (or so they said I felt fine except for severe dizzyness) My eys would roll back and forth like crazy for two weeks off and on. Antihistamines like diphenhydramine helped a lot but it was awful. I thew up as well. Anyway, since then, I get dizzy easy so I learn to relax and try not to stare up at tall buildings or objects or allow my eyes to dart back and forth too much.

Thanks for writing about this

Glen AKA theswan

#18 CoosaRiver

CoosaRiver

Just Registered

ID: 28786

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:37 AM

I thought I was going nuts with this "swishing" sound. It is comforting to know that others have this as well.

I am taking Mobic for arthritis, Requip for RLS (restless leg syndrom) and just finished Cymbalta (for depression brought on by constant pain). Also take 1 or 2 Lortabs at night so I can sleep. I've been taking Requip and Cymbalta since July. These meds cause a lot of fatigue - no energy at all. I decided to skip all but the Lortab one night and all the next day I had the "swish swish" or "swish, swish, swish" every few minutes and a dizzy feeling. The feeling was not uncomfortable and lasted only a few seconds, but I knew something was wrong.

Went back on the meds and no more "swishing" or dizziness. Stopped again for one night and it all came back. Thought that it must be the meds reactiopn, or rather, lack of the meds reaction. Went back on the meds and it stopped. Finished the Cymbalta (no refills) and the swishing and dizziness now occurs all day - 5 or 6 times a minute. I've noticed that it occurs when I move my eyes (open or closed does not matter) or when I move my head. It is always 2 swishes or 3 swishes along with the dizziness.

If I'm walking or talking I pause for a moment. Must be careful when driving.

This is weird... my wife will put her ear next to mine and will tell me if she hears it. She can hear it at the same time I hear it!

Will make an appointment with family doc and keep you posted.

Thanks,

CoosaRiver

#19 akiva

akiva

Just Registered

ID: 29654

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

I thought I was going nuts with this "swishing" sound. It is comforting to know that others have this as well.

I am taking Mobic for arthritis, Requip for RLS (restless leg syndrom) and just finished Cymbalta (for depression brought on by constant pain). Also take 1 or 2 Lortabs at night so I can sleep. I've been taking Requip and Cymbalta since July. These meds cause a lot of fatigue - no energy at all. I decided to skip all but the Lortab one night and all the next day I had the "swish swish" or "swish, swish, swish" every few minutes and a dizzy feeling. The feeling was not uncomfortable and lasted only a few seconds, but I knew something was wrong.

Went back on the meds and no more "swishing" or dizziness. Stopped again for one night and it all came back. Thought that it must be the meds reactiopn, or rather, lack of the meds reaction. Went back on the meds and it stopped. Finished the Cymbalta (no refills) and the swishing and dizziness now occurs all day - 5 or 6 times a minute. I've noticed that it occurs when I move my eyes (open or closed does not matter) or when I move my head. It is always 2 swishes or 3 swishes along with the dizziness.

If I'm walking or talking I pause for a moment. Must be careful when driving.

This is weird... my wife will put her ear next to mine and will tell me if she hears it. She can hear it at the same time I hear it!

Will make an appointment with family doc and keep you posted.

Thanks,

CoosaRiver

I'm so glad I found all of you! I had the swishing sounds also. They started over a year ago while I was on Lexapro & Wellbutrin. I gradually phased out Lexapro and then a few months later while still on Wellbutrin the sounds came back. I told my brother who is a surgeon and he said he never heard of anything like it, and for the first time since he graduated med school over 20 years ago, had no suggestions.
I kind of put up with it as it was never constant. But I think I found the culptrit(s). I have noticed that whenever I had ANYTHING
that was "relaxing", especially at night, the sounds started in my sleep and always continued into my waking hours and often the rest of the day. Depending on the "relaxation" determined how often and for how long the swishing sounds lasted. What have I taken for relaxation:
1. Alcohol, even only one glass of alcohol or alcohol with dinner.
2. Even just one toke of illegal drug.
3. Night-time allergy and/or pain medication.
4. Any sleep promoting drug or substance.
Since I have stopped taking any of these, the sounds have stopped. Apparently, these interact with ALL ant-depressants/anti-anxiety meds, because the selection of drug names that each of us are on seem to cover almost every brand.
Lets face it, if we're taking these meds, we're prone to having a drink, a toke, or an Ambien.
Keep in mind, I found this only works with absolute abstinence from the above, and may take a few days or even a few weeks depending on what and how often you have been "relaxing". You may have even combined some of these. Who hasn't?
I hope this works for all of you.
Akiva

#20 smnln

smnln

Just Registered

ID: 31100

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:12 AM

Mike

It is amazing that you can type in a symptom and find an entire forum! I had no idea. I'm so glad to hear that there are other people out there that have these weirdo symptoms. I occasionally have this problem and sometimes it will last a day or so and sometimes just a few hours. I know this was posted a while back, but I just found it. I felt I needed to join to learn some things and I especially wanted to reply to this. I'm very anxious right now with all the family coming to my home for Thanksgiving and I have sssooooo much to do. Also, I have been on my computer A LOT the last couple of days in a frantic rush to find last minute hotel and air deals for a last minute trip immediately after the holiday. My feelings are that it is a touch of both anxiety to make sure all gets done in time AND spending a lot of time with my head down looking into my laptop. I'm hoping now that a good deal of that is behind me and a good night of sleep will make things better tomorrow. I'm praying that it will be! Happy Thanksgiving to all.

#21 ItsBrian

ItsBrian

ID: 29143

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

It's probably related in no way to your mental conditions, but whenever you feel something wrong in your head (Especially eyes or ears), it's best to tell a doctor, just in case it's serious. You probably wouldn't like being blind.
"You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go."

#22 jd1314

jd1314

Just Registered

ID: 31183

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Mike, thanks for writing on this forum about the swishing eye problem. I am a migraine sufferer (not too bad) and take many meds that work with the serotonin levels. I think I forgot to take my pills 2 times this week, which is strange for me, and I'm sitting here typing this trying to not get dizzy.

And thanks to all the other who posted/replied - it's nice to know I am not alone.

Did anyone's doctor have a specific treatment/suggestion to lessen or make it go away? Any help is appreciated.

#23 bmf

bmf

Just Registered

ID: 31612

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

Mike

Thank God for this Forum. I found this forum by searching on Google for "hear my eyeballs move." I suffer from Anxiety and Depression. I was on Paxil for two years, and just recently been placed on Wellbutrin and Lamictal. My psychiatrist wanted to get me off of the Paxil so he reduced my dosage from 20 mg to mg for a few months and then this past week when I saw him on Thursday, he said to split my last Paxil into fourths and take one fourth each day until it was gone. My last 5mg was this past Sunday. By Tuesday at Noon I started feeling Nauseous and actually threw up, was feeling dizzy and light headed. Still feeling this way Today (Wednesday) I had noticed another symptom I was experiencing was that I could hear my eyeballs move, like a swooshing sound. So I found this Forum and called my Psychiatrist to explain what I had been feeling. He asked me to come in and said that all of these symptoms were classic symptoms of coming off of Paxil, except for the eye swooshing noise, he hadn't heard of that before. So he decided to put me back on Paxil, I just took 10mg. He promised I would feel "normal" by tomorrow this same time and to call him to let him know I am feeling. I will also post here again to let you know how I am feeling. But apparently the eye swooshing noise is an effect of coming off of these medicines, so if you miss a couple days or quit altogether you might experience this symptom. So if you are reading this because you went searching for why you could hear your eyeballs move, know you arent crazy ( I know I thought I was crazy for even searching for it, but I am glad I did) and you should call your doctor. Thanks again so much.

Brent

#24 Blue Racer

Blue Racer

Just Registered

ID: 32052

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

Mike

#25 Blue Racer

Blue Racer

Just Registered

ID: 32052

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

Mike

Mike,

Did the swishing sound go away for you yet? I've been on sertraline for about six months. I decided I was ready to get off the med (generic Zoloft) about two weeks ago or so. I broke my 50mg pills in half and took 25mg for a few days, then 25mg every other day for another few days and haven't had any for over a week now. I can't remember when I first noticed my swishy sounding eyeballs, but it's been several days now. I'm also pretty darn tired. I haven't been sleeping too well at night. My swishy eyeball sound and that slight sense of motion right at the end of my eyeball moves reminds me quite a bit of the same sensation I usually get when I get sick, like with a cold or sinus infection or some other respiratory or fever bringing illness. It really only bothered me to begin because I thought I might be getting something. I am not a very physically healthy person and the fear of respiratory infections for me is huge. Also, everyone else who's had this experience coming off anti-depressants, how are you all doing? Did your swishy, dizzy eyeball problems go away? Thanks.

#26 lynkali

lynkali

Just Registered

ID: 33260

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:10 AM

Thank heavens for Google searches! Just wanted to add my 2 cents, although by the number of responders so far, it looks like this isn't all that unusual of a symptom. I missed three doses (two on accident, but one on purpose, bad timing) of my Celexa (citalopram 40 mg) the last few nights. This morning I woke up slightly dizzy, but didn't think anything of it until I started hearing SOUNDS when my head moved, and even when just my eyes moved. I wouldn't have called them "swishing" sounds ... more like someone was shuffling their bare feet on carpet in my head, when my eyes moved to either side. I also felt surges of adrenalin (or fast heartbeats, or something like panic) each time I got the sounds. One of the most bizarre things I've ever experienced. Since the missed doses were accidental, I'm planning to resume Celexa tonight, so hopefully the noises (and dizziness and adrenalin) will disappear soon. Makes me a little fearful about ever stopping for good, but at least I know now that I don't have a brain tumor or sudden ear infection or anything! Thanks everyone for keeping this thread google-able! :)

#27 gregdz

gregdz

Just Registered

ID: 34881

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:24 AM

The "star-trek sliding door" sound has been driving me nuts for months, after I was put on anti-depressants after a mild heart attack and TIA.

I am on Cymbalta and lamictal. Taking them regularly or on time doesn't eliminate the swoosh completely, but makes it more tolerable. Skipping a dose it bad new.

Have any of you read about "serotonin syndrome". If not, google it.

Mentions just about every symptom here except the swooshing eye movement although I would guess that this symptom could fall under one of the listed ill effects.

I am grateful I found you folks, reinforcing my suspicion that the noise was related to meds. I blame the drug companies for ignoring us and I think we need to find one of those litigious lawyers who handle class action suite for MRI dyes, faulty pacemaker wires, and other items which have hear "the little guys" and blown off by corporate america.

So- take the drug- fix one problem start another. Stop the drug- same options. Alcohol and morphine and fentanyl were less painful to stop than SSRI/SNRI's.

Most people experience somme degree of paralysis during deep sleep and while they are aware of their surroundings, they are paralyzed, but asleep. Check out some web sites on sleep abnormalities. Of course, without the depression/anxiety drugs your mind races, preventing quality sleep. I've had dozens of sleep studies- usually 2-3 a year.

Med history:
  • Age 56 - 2 mild heart attacks, 2 TIA's. Overweight (from the meds)
  • Numerous ruptured eardrums since age 6. tubes in my ears were not removed for a year. Then I blew them out in the 60's/70's on tour with some big name rock bands.
  • Also a pilot for many years- unpressurized planes at high altitude (never hurt, eardrum would just burst and bleed)
  • Pancreatic failure from acute pesticide poisoning (malathion, benzyne, DDT)
  • 7 spinal surgeries from degenerative disc disease - getting ready for #8. Got a titanium reinforced spine- plates, screw, rods
  • In a coma for 2 days after one surgery
  • Adrenal cysts (possible phenochromacytoma).
  • Diabetes (from pancreatic disease)
  • Severe Sleep Apnea - I stop breathing every few seconds without a CPAP.
  • Functional Sleepwalker- I got dressed one morning, got dressed, drove to airport, flew to Seattle, had a meeting, flew home, drove home from airport, went to bed- and didn't remember any of it.
  • Daytime Hypersomnolance- I can fall asleep, while talking to someone, and hit REM in 45 seconds - and keep talking
  • AND-GO FIGURE... Depression, Anxiety, BiPolar, "Grandpa is acting weird again mommy", adult ADD/ADHD

I didn't want to mention the swooshing to my doctors for fear I'd end up either getting cut open, or tossed into the looney bin.

You have offered me more info and support here than I would have ever imagined.

Sorry this is long- Readers Digest Condensed version next post.

G

#28 bmtphoenix

bmtphoenix

Just Registered

ID: 37311

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

Just thought I'd throw mine in here, too. Besides the description of the sound, which we probably all hear differently, I have the exact same symptoms. My best description would be a sparking sound in the inner ear every time I move my eyes from side to side too quickly. It's much worse when I'm sleepy (like now). I take Welbutrin, Cymbalta, Diovan (blood pressure), Advicor (Cholesterol) and Nexium.

#29 toddf

toddf

Just Registered

ID: 37471

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:27 AM

I have the same sound when moving my eyes and it started when I discontinued Pristiq, a patent extender that Wyeth put out based on Effexor. My GP had some samples he gave me after my 12-year-old daughter was in the hospital for 50 days and nearly died. I started having major anxiety problems related to that and work. I never had anxiety/depression issues prior to this and I am 44.

I wish I never took that medicine. I have ringing in my ears, brain zaps, strange electrical feelings through my arms and fingers, and this swishing sound when I move my eyes. I also now have this disconnected feeling, like I am in a dream and watching reality. I am not taking any medication at all now except Singulair for allergies, but all of these sensations continue.

I will post back in a few weeks and let you know if any of the symptoms stop or decrease.
  • katwill414 likes this

#30 Sara Tonin

Sara Tonin

Just Registered

ID: 37633

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:01 AM

LOLOLOLOL!!! You guys rock! =D

I just Googled "symptom swishing head" and I got you!!

I wasn't sure if it was related to my drugs, or if it was ear related or if I had a tumor! (("It's not a tumor!" -Arnold Schwartzenegger in Kindergarten Cop)) LOL

Although it may have happened a little bit before May 1st, I didn't pay much attention then.
On May 1st, stupid Pharmacare stopped paying for one of my meds (Cipralex/Escitalopram... related to Celexa). I have been having soooo much trouble trying to get the problem sorted out. Apparently the community mental health clinic where my psychiatrist had arranged for that medication to be covered, closed my file without telling me. And then it took them 3 weeks to tell me that they closed my file even with me calling and calling. So now I'm getting bounced here and there and need referrals from everyone's grandma and the easter bunny before I can even make an appointment to wait another 2 months to see my psychiatrist!! ARG! But nevermind! :P

The point is that I had to go off that drug cold turkey. (I am also taking lithium and welbutrin.) I was practically bedridden for over 2 weeks, the withdrawal was so bad. And the swishing was horrible at that time, accompanied by vertigo.

The way I described it was like how it feels when you have a really high fever. When you turn your head it swishes like your brain is floating and bobbing around in there, and seems to take a while to catch up. Same thing when you move your eyes. And the sound and sensation are uncomfortable! Even when you close your eyes, or clench your jaws, or use any muscle in your head it makes that high pitched swoosh and strange sensation.

Now that so much time has passed, I expected the whooshing to be gone. But still turning my head, using my eyes, or using most other muscles in my head still makes the swishing and now also a kind of very high pitched ping.

Since I also have tinnitus and I had fifty billion ear infections as a kid, I was looking up online to see if it was an inner ear thing. But I guess it is just a drug thing. Just something else to grin and bear.

Thanks all!! =D

#31 jeff41

jeff41

Just Registered

ID: 38250

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

I'd like to add my experiences to the thread in hopes of helping spread the word on this. A lot sounds familiar to me, but its frustrating that no one seems to have followed up with an update!

My doc recently went on the warpath putting me on some meds to treat fibromyalgia symptoms. I was on Cymbalta for 2 weeks, with no noticeable improvements nor any side effects. He had me titrate off of that for a few days, and then immediately start Savella. I started with 12.5mg one day and 25mg the next. I was having some problems with nausea, headaches, fatigue, and exhaustion during exercise. Since I was already weary of this, I called and asked to go off of it the 3rd day, after taking my morning dose of 12.5mg. After that I was off it.

The day after i started having problems with light headedness when I move my eyes. I also have that feeling like a surge of adrenaline that some of described here. It happens when I move my eyes, whether my eyelids are open or not. In addition to this, I started having bad headaches, nausea, fatigue, and a burning sensation in my body. These, sadly, are very famliar to me. The only thing that I'd consider 'new' is the eye problem, though I have had light headedness along with the other symptoms in the past, just not in this exact manner.

The notable part is that I've been on some type of SSRI or other psychiatric drug for the last 10 years solid, all for fibromyalgia treatment. My symptoms did not start out quite this way, and have changed a lot over time. The last time I remember having these specific symptoms to this degree was when I was on Paxil. I can't help but wonder if the drugs are causing the majority of the problems. I have read that the effects can be lasting changes to brain chemistry. Its possible that is what has happened to a lot of us.

I'm curious though. Any of the people with the eye issues - did it ultimately go away after some time? As I said, mine has remained pretty steady, but I've only been off Savella for about a week. I'll keep you updated as to my progress :)

#32 dtc83

dtc83

Just Registered

ID: 38336

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

Hello you fellow noisey-eyes

Just thought i'd mention that i've had these odd sounds exactly as many of you have described (bare feet scraping on carpet whenever any sudden eye move captures it very well, and especially just as i'm about to go to sleep) - but am not depressed nor on any medications, nor have i ever been. So its not only or exclusively or necessarily a side-effect

Noises began four or five days ago, i'd been inexplicably dizzy for a few days - which a nurse i went to see thought was to do with a virus. Dizziness has now mostly gone, and i'm left with just the eye sounds, but they seem to be getting quieter...

best wishes all
david

#33 rybka

rybka

Just Registered

ID: 38656

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

Mike

Hi Mike,
I have seen exactly the same case on TV(show called Mystery Diagnosis on Discovery Health channel). One lady had the same problem you have. There are three interconnected tubes located inside each ear called SEMICIRCULAR CANALS. Each canal is filled with a fluid called ENDOLYMPH. The wall of one of her canals had hole that allowed the fluid to leak onto her brain, but doctors were able to fix it.

Medication you take may caused the damage to your inner ear. Tell all of this to your specialist, it will help!

Good luck,
Amra

#34 okiebart

okiebart

Just Registered

ID: 39319

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

I just started experiencing this again....I had it a few years ago for a couple months then it went away. I just had a very small stroke last week and the doctors have been changing my blood pressure meds and today when I move my eyeballs to either side I can hear usually 3 quick swishing type noises in conjunction with a simultaneous waves of vertigo/dizziness. My BP has been changing daily in response to several doctors trying to each figure out which regimen of meds I should be on.....so today my diastolic BP has been steadily climbing while the systolic has remained in a normal range....I'm interested to see how that changes over the next couple days as my body adjusts to the new drugs. I also am feeling my heartbeat in my body when it beats and also almost like an echo when the pulse pressure moves to other places in my body.....it's not very noticeable except when I want to go to sleep then of course it seems very loud and is somewhat un-nerving. I had this before as well and my doctor had never heard of it.

Although I don't understand much of what is being said here is a link I just found that seems to describe some of these symptoms along with some medical terms....maybe it will help somebody.

#35 karmic_serenade

karmic_serenade

ID: 38965

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:24 PM

I'm about 2 weeks off of Cymbalta and I felt this swishing along with the brain zaps that I got from withdrawal.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be who you are..
and say what you feel..
Because those who mind, don't matter..
and those who matter, don't mind.

-Dr. Seuss

#36 lqotg

lqotg

Just Registered

ID: 43683

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:19 PM

I was so glad to see these responses when I googled 'swishing noise when eyes move"

I had been put on lexipro for facial neuralgia. Had taken it for just over a year.. I weaned off very very slowly.. ( over 3 months), and just finished a couple weeks ago.. and then noticed this noise, of course it scared the crap out of me.. as I thought my symptoms were increasing.. but now I think it is just a result of being off the SSRI.. how bizarre..

Still have the facial neuralgia.. [also had lyme.. bells palsy.. and a dural fistula... ( bad blood vessel in my brain, which was fixed last summer).. the fistula repair got rid of a pulsitle tinnitus, and of course I am very happy to have a fixed BRAIN.. but nothing seems to have helped with the tingling/burning neuropathy. no one knows what caused which symptom]

anyway.. at least when I go back to my dr.. I will show some your comments, so they once again won't think it's "all in my head".. LOL

#37 vickiH

vickiH

Just Registered

ID: 44453

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:33 AM

What a relief it was to find others with this strange symptom! I'm old enough to appreciate having something like Google where you can type in a strange symptom and instantly find some good leads, or even the answer. I have been between health plans, and unfortunately didn't think to get my lexapro refilled before all this. I didn't think a few days without it would hurt, but then I started HEARING my eyeballs move. I didn't connect the two until I Googled the symptom and came upon this forum. Makes sense now. I am still not covered by my new plan yet, but the pharmacy gave me a few days' worth of lexapro and the swishing is gone. Points for creativity go to the guy who called it "star trek sliding door"!! I will think of you every time I see something "Star Trek". Also, if I ever decide to go off this med, i will definitely wean gradually. On another note, it's good to know this forum is here and there are so many caring and supportive people willing to share their time and experiences. Wish I had this when I was growing up. Thanks to everyone for their input and help in solving this mystery...

#38 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:34 AM

Hi and Welcome VickiH

It is fantastic what the internet can do. I am so glad that you found us, so that you know that you are not alone.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#39 griwei

griwei

Just Registered

ID: 46519

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:16 AM

Same symptoms here too. The cause - in my case - appears to be Celexa withdrawal.

For the record, my google search was:

+tinnitus +vertigo +"eye movement" +celexa -rapid

Tinnitus is a common side effect of the SNRI, Buproprion, which I take for ADHD (300 mg/d), in addition to 100mg/d of Modafinil. I've had it for a couple of years.

Having tapered off of Celexa (from 20 mg/d to nothing over the span of around four weeks), I've noticed how the constant, high-pitched ringing in my right ear can be momentarily modulated with quick eye-movements, along with minor Vertigo. That the Tinnitus / eye movement / Veritgo connection exists, apparently as a result of my dropping Celexa from the regimen, makes sense because some of the very same neurotransmitters that are impacted by the mechanism of SSRIs have been implicated in inducing a certain type of Vertigo.

It's also interesting that the symptoms worsen as the evening winds into the wee hours of the morning (i.e.: less sleep equals more noise and dizziness).

Ah, such is the life of those who need to monkey around a little with their neurochemicals...

Edited by griwei, 13 March 2010 - 05:18 AM.

#40 CAL

CAL

Just Registered

ID: 47671

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

Mike

You should make an appointment with an OPHTHALMOLOGIST or NEUROLOGIST. they will understand better. I had many docs think i was crazy but they did not. I had an MRI but found nothing, the swishing stopped just before test. It comes and goes having it again. Driving me crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users