Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Restoril (temazepam)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DaKrazy1

DaKrazy1

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been on Klonopin for over 3 years now, for anxiety and lately as an sleep aid as well. My dosage wasn't much, about 1.5-2.0 mg per night. My psychiatrist wants me off it and prescribed Restoril instead. I know it's another benzo, but it doesn't seem to be very common and from what I have read it's pretty addictive. I know that Klonopin is as well, but Restoril just seems like a much stronger med.

In addition, I also take Wellbutrin and Zoloft, which is working great.

Is it unusual for a doctor to prescribe this drug? I could hardly find anything about it here? Anyone on it?

Thanks for hearing me out!

#2 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been on Klonopin for over 3 years now, for anxiety and lately as an sleep aid as well. My dosage wasn't much, about 1.5-2.0 mg per night. My psychiatrist wants me off it and prescribed Restoril instead. I know it's another benzo, but it doesn't seem to be very common and from what I have read it's pretty addictive. I know that Klonopin is as well, but Restoril just seems like a much stronger med.

Is it unusual for a doctor to prescribe this drug? I could hardly find anything about it here? Anyone on it?

Is your anxiety under control? If so your doc may want you off klonopin and onto something that is more centered on sleep. Restoril has a shorter half-life than klonopin and is used more as a hypnotic than for anxiety. Klonopin is also the benzo most likely to cause depression with long term use. I'm not kidding, look at the P.I. sheet.

Edited by maintainin, 03 June 2008 - 01:54 PM.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#3 OnlyZ

OnlyZ

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

I don't know where you are, but it is uncommon to get that medication in the United States. The Klonopin is a much more popular medication for anxiety. But whatever works for you best is what you need.
[This Space For Sale]

#4 luvdogs

luvdogs

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

Hi everyone,
i am speaking primarily from my,an addict's,point of view.if you've been taking klonopin for that long w out becoming addicted,you're chances are pretty slim at becoming addicted to restoril.restoril is one of the oldest benzos,usually used only for sleep.it CAN be addictive,however,so make sure you're aware of warning signs.i really don't see your psych's point as far as switching from one to the other.have you told him your fear of addiction?? i've been addicted off and on to benzos and opiates since 1997.it is a trip thru hell to detox off of,but like i stated,i'm an addict,and was long before i was ever on benzos.i just recently detoxed off restoril,it's been 2 weeks now.

#5 DaKrazy1

DaKrazy1

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for answering!

My anxieties have gone down and that's why I guess I'm going off the Klonopin. I just need to get my sleep back on track.

I am living abroad, but receiving health care from an US Army facility, maybe they prescribe it more often then common in the US. I got put on 30 mg right away, which is the highest dosage they make. I guess I am really concerned with getting addicted, and maybe I'm also afraid of what will happen to me when I go off the Klonopin.

I guess I'll know in a few days.

#6 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:57 PM

What do you mean by addicted? If you mean that you wont be able to sleep without it, you can get that way with just about anything you take to sleep. Doesnt matter if its restoril, klonopin, trazodone, ambien, benadryl, etc...

Dont worry about the addicted part. If it works for you then go with it. If it doesnt, dont try taking anymore than prescribed and be sure and let your doc know.

Edited by maintainin, 03 June 2008 - 03:57 PM.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#7 L1011

L1011

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

UK doctors would choke before give you a temazepam. I was hospitalised with severe manic depression and even then I wasnt given it. Only odd Diazepam. Funny they wired me up to an electric shock machine which erased my memory but yet they wouldnt give me a tranquilliser!!

#8 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

I don't know where you are, but it is uncommon to get that medication in the United States. The Klonopin is a much more popular medication for anxiety. But whatever works for you best is what you need.

Hi, I am in the US and I have taken Restoril. Restoril is a benzo that is a hypnotic which means that it is only prescribed to be taken at bedtime to aid in sleep. There is no question that Klonopin is a much more popular medication for anxiety. The reason being that Restoril isn't used to treat anxiety. It is a sleeping pill. Klonopin is used for sleep as well, but the difference is that it has a much longer half life than Restoril. Restoril always clears your system long before you have to take the next dose which keeps it from building up in the body.

Restoril doesn't seem to be prescribed very often for insomnia which is probably because it is a benzo. Ambien is a more common choice especially for general practitioners.

:hearts:
Katie

#9 DaKrazy1

DaKrazy1

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

An update:

I did take the 30 mg at bed time and it took me about 2.5 hours to fall asleep. I did sleep well and I woke up the usual time in the morning. However, I just felt really down when I woke up, totally joyless. I been feeling great the last couple of weeks, so this isn't good. Besides, it doesn't make fall asleep any faster. Oh well, at least I gave it a try.

#10 luvdogs

luvdogs

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

An update:
sometimes benzos,barbs,and opiates can cause or aggravate depression.other meds can,too--atenolol for hypertension for example.i've been on the medication merygoround for 18 years now,with other meds also.seroquel helps me sleep,but the side effects are unbearable at times.i wish i was "normal" and didn't have to go through this crap.i'm sick of it.the statin drugs can cause some dangerous side effects,too.i've finally realized there are no miracle drugs.i tried to self medicate with street drugs,but those are useless in the end,too.i pray alot.this illness is a b****.

I did take the 30 mg at bed time and it took me about 2.5 hours to fall asleep. I did sleep well and I woke up the usual time in the morning. However, I just felt really down when I woke up, totally joyless. I been feeling great the last couple of weeks, so this isn't good. Besides, it doesn't make fall asleep any faster. Oh well, at least I gave it a try.

#11 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,909 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

Klonopin was prescribed for me by the neurologist to control tremors associated with Parkinsonism. It made me sleep 22 hrs/day. Are you being tapered off Klonopin?

I've been on and off Restoril for years for chronic disruptive sleep patterns. Trazodone and Ambien only worked short-term. Lunesta and Rozerum do nothing for me. Valium causes excessive aggitation. My current dose is 15mg/night with permission to go to 30mg (sometimes 45mg). Initially, there is a slight morning "hangover." It's the only med that keeps me asleep all night. I haven't taken it for awhile as my physical activities are demanding and am worn out by the end of the day. I did notice a tapering off of effectiveness when it was used everynight (just like all sleep aids will do.) I don't think about Restoril's addictive properties as long as I can sleep. It used to be prescribed quite often, but the new aids available have become more popular. I think pdocs use it as a last resort when everything else fails.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#12 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:12 PM

An update:

I had a similar issue with Restoril. It kept me asleep, but it didn't help me fall to sleep.

:hearts:
Katie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users