Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Tiredness With Citalopram?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesy

Jamesy

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:20 AM

Hi folks,

I was prescribed 10mg of Citalopram by my GP nearly 3 weeks ago, I wa suffering from anxiety and depression.

I've never been a big sleeper, usually slept until 7am until the anxiety and then it was uaually 5am. Since starting Citalopram i've been getting real tired most of the day and falling asleep between 8 and 9 at night and still waking at 5-6am feeling really tired.

I was just wondering if this wears off after a while? My anxiety and depression are definetly improving but the tiredness can get a bit annoying.

Thanks

#2 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

Tho I am no expert, I know that a lot of the meds can be very sedating. I don't think you said what time you take it. Maybe you could try a different time of day. That worked for me. Hope your feeling better soon.

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#3 Jamesy

Jamesy

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:15 AM

I don't think you said what time you take it.

Sorry, forgot about that lol

I'm taking it at around 7pm at night

#4 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:23 AM

Jamesy --

Fatigue and drowsiness are common start-up side effects of most anti-depressants. At three weeks in, you should be feeling better soon. The first 2-3 weeks are the bumpiest. 10 mg. of Celexa is quite a low dose so it doesn't appear to be an issue of heavy dosage. If you continue to feel drowsiness and fatigue for too much longer, I would recommend advising your doctor. Many people supplement their Celexa with Wellbutrin (which can help with fatigue and lingering depression). For info. on Wellbutrin, feel free to visit the Wellbutrin forum.

Food for thought.

Hang in there.
Best,
HopefulOne

#5 ricky59

ricky59

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

I had a worsening of my insomnia, so I was tired during the day. I don't know if it was the lexapro making me feel tired or just the lack of sleep. I do know that most of my side effects from lexapro eased off after a couple of months. Only thing that persisted was jaw clenching.
still trying to attain my hearts desire

#6 Patricia

Patricia

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

My husband started Citalopram about 6 weeks ago at 10mg. I am sooo frustrated with this because he's been much more depressed and unstable since starting this. And tiredness - yes!!! I called his doctor a few days ago and she said to increase the dose to 20 mg. Since he's had similar experiences with dozens of antidepressants he's tried, I think he should stop it instead of increasing the dose. I know you have to give new meds time to work, but how do you put life on hold and stay in bed for months waiting? Sorry for sounding so negative.

#7 Girly

Girly

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:23 AM

My husband started Citalopram about 6 weeks ago at 10mg. I am sooo frustrated with this because he's been much more depressed and unstable since starting this. And tiredness - yes!!! I called his doctor a few days ago and she said to increase the dose to 20 mg. Since he's had similar experiences with dozens of antidepressants he's tried, I think he should stop it instead of increasing the dose. I know you have to give new meds time to work, but how do you put life on hold and stay in bed for months waiting? Sorry for sounding so negative.

Hi Patricia

The citalopram can take several weeks to kick in and the tiredness is a side effect of the tablets. If you are concerned anout your husband changing the dose to 20 mg please speak to his Doctor. How long has he been trying the other ADs for? Has he had any counselling/therapy in conjunction with the tablets?
Girly

"No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou

Diagnosis - Borderline Personality Disorder. Meds - citalopram and olanzapine.

#8 Patricia

Patricia

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:14 PM

He's been trying meds for 10 years. He is seeing a psychiatrist that we like, but no therapy/counselling. He's tried just about every antidepressant out there and they just don't seem to work for him. The most helpful med he's been on is Provigil (helps him stay out of bed). I am going to ask his doctor about a referal to counselling.

Hi Patricia

The citalopram can take several weeks to kick in and the tiredness is a side effect of the tablets. If you are concerned anout your husband changing the dose to 20 mg please speak to his Doctor. How long has he been trying the other ADs for? Has he had any counselling/therapy in conjunction with the tablets?

#9 Girly

Girly

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:26 PM

He's been trying meds for 10 years. He is seeing a psychiatrist that we like, but no therapy/counselling. He's tried just about every antidepressant out there and they just don't seem to work for him. The most helpful med he's been on is Provigil (helps him stay out of bed). I am going to ask his doctor about a referal to counselling.

Patricia

It is wonderful that you are so supporting of your husband :hearts:

I am not aware of Provigil personally but if he has not had therapy/counselling and with a phychiatrist that you both like then definitely ask about the possibilities.

I know that citalopram made me very tired at first but everyone is different. Please keep us updated.

Girly

Girly

"No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou

Diagnosis - Borderline Personality Disorder. Meds - citalopram and olanzapine.

#10 idleinn

idleinn

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

Patrica, i went onto 20 mgs of cipramal 8 weeks ago duringa 3 week stint in a clinic to do a med change over and CBT course,tiredness has not been an issue quite the opposite actually but i do find that i am no better now possibly even worse than when i went in . My wife agrees with me on that one. I had been on effxor 600 mgs and 1000 of lithium which had stopped working like many others so they dropped back to 20 mgs cipramal and some lamotrogine ( anti phsycotic ) and diazapam to cover the bad times of anxiety and said go home and wait for the CBT course to start working ......I am still waiting. I go back to Perth this week to be re-assesed it could be interesting......
Have a nice day....

#11 Patricia

Patricia

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

Patrica, i went onto 20 mgs of cipramal 8 weeks ago duringa 3 week stint in a clinic to do a med change over and CBT course,tiredness has not been an issue quite the opposite actually but i do find that i am no better now possibly even worse than when i went in . My wife agrees with me on that one. I had been on effxor 600 mgs and 1000 of lithium which had stopped working like many others so they dropped back to 20 mgs cipramal and some lamotrogine ( anti phsycotic ) and diazapam to cover the bad times of anxiety and said go home and wait for the CBT course to start working ......I am still waiting. I go back to Perth this week to be re-assesed it could be interesting......
Have a nice day....

Idleinn, I admire your patience and persistence with your med changes. Hang in there!

#12 cs94njw

cs94njw

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

Hi folks,

I was prescribed 10mg of Citalopram by my GP nearly 3 weeks ago, I wa suffering from anxiety and depression.

I've never been a big sleeper, usually slept until 7am until the anxiety and then it was uaually 5am. Since starting Citalopram i've been getting real tired most of the day and falling asleep between 8 and 9 at night and still waking at 5-6am feeling really tired.

I was just wondering if this wears off after a while? My anxiety and depression are definetly improving but the tiredness can get a bit annoying.

Thanks

Apparently it's common to get leg twitching with suffering from depression - I've had a large bit of that recently.  Waking up with my fingers and legs feeling achey or jumpy.  So that can explain drowsiness.

I've started taking 1hr naps at work, early afternoon to help myself.  This doesn't affect your normal sleep patterns - if it was for longer than 1hr, then it can.  I do feel refreshed afterwards.

My GP's routine is to start me on an anti-depressant, and then see me 2 weeks later.  If there are no serious side effects, she then increases it.  She's just done that with the citalopram.  As part of the consultation, she also firmly asks if I am having counselling (I'm having marriage problems atm).  I think she considers both as important treatments - and I think she's right.

I just upgraded from 20mg to 40mg of Citalopram, and the drowsiness is not fun :(  Not for a Software Engineer.  Hopefully it'll diminish soon.

#13 Wisteria

Wisteria

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

I've had this same problem for some time too and I've used it for about 2 months (I had one year break because didn't need it anymore...). I feel so tired all time, foggy head, can't focus clearly... I'm using Cipralex 5mg. z_z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users