Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Men's Sexual Side Effects With Celexa

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 dancing dolphin

dancing dolphin

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:10 AM

Guys,
I just started Celexa yesterday and am tapering off of Paxil. The paxil made it impossible (almost) to ejaculate. Have other men who are taking Celexa found it to have less sexual side effects?

DD

#2 ricky59

ricky59

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:05 PM

I don't know how similar celexa is to lexapro. I had trouble achieving orgasm with lexapro, but it was not impossible and it seemed to get better after being on it for a while. Hopefully celexa will be similar.
still trying to attain my hearts desire

#3 IowaGuy

IowaGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, its been a bit of a strugle, but it gets easier after a bit.

IowaGuy :hearts:
"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."

--C.S. Lewis ~ The Problem of Pain

#4 Chester Cheetoh

Chester Cheetoh

Silver Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

no problem with physical arousal here.

but yeah, anorgasmia appears to be a standard side effect.

#5 IowaGuy

IowaGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:01 PM

Arousal is DEFFINETLY not the problem.....Im glad i know the medical term anorgasmia now!

IowaGuy :hearts:
"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."

--C.S. Lewis ~ The Problem of Pain

#6 ricky59

ricky59

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

I guess I'll find out. the doc just put me on celexa.
still trying to attain my hearts desire

#7 my_chemical_existence

my_chemical_existence

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

I guess I'll find out. the doc just put me on celexa.

I've been on Citalopram for about six weeks now. It was a bit of a problem at first, but, has improved the longer I've been on it.

#8 Rahul

Rahul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:40 AM

It was a bit of a problem at first, but, has improved the longer I've been on it.

A man's libido cannot be forever suppressed, eh? :hearts:

Edited by Rahul, 05 June 2008 - 02:41 AM.

I'm not a doctor or a health professional and any advice in my post is purely my personal opinion and anecdotal.

Dx: MDD
Rx: 10 mg escitalopram + 15mg mitrazapine + 20 mg chlordiazepoxide (all
at bedtime)

#9 happy days 08

happy days 08

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:08 AM

+1. Exactly how it is with me too.
Hard as it may be sometimes, have faith! Happy Days 08

#10 safetyfast

safetyfast

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

+1. Exactly how it is with me too.

Was an issue the first few weeks, but went away.

#11 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:15 AM

Guys,
I just started Celexa yesterday and am tapering off of Paxil. The paxil made it impossible (almost) to ejaculate. Have other men who are taking Celexa found it to have less sexual side effects?

DD

Yep. I had the same problem when I took Paxil years ago.

No such problem with any other ADs I've had (inc currently Celexa).
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#12 Yo Gabba Gabba

Yo Gabba Gabba

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

Yes, a very common side effect of some AD's - There are certain AD's that are rated better for sexual side-effects. I do believe it fades after some time.

#13 youngtanboi

youngtanboi

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

I am on citalopram for past two days.The usual side effects like dizziness,insomnia and tiredness seemed fine,but the lack of ejaculation was so depressing!
Whats the word?????? oh...anorgasmia (very explainative)....My doctor wants me to stay on for 1 month but without orgasm???(He dint even mention this side effect) ...Guys,does it really get better after couple of weeks?

Edited by youngtanboi, 24 January 2011 - 07:45 AM.

#14 imrj

imrj

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

I am on citalopram for past two days.The usual side effects like dizziness,insomnia and tiredness seemed fine,but the lack of ejaculation was so depressing!
Whats the word?????? oh...anorgasmia (very explainative)....My doctor wants me to stay on for 1 month but without orgasm???(He dint even mention this side effect) ...Guys,does it really get better after couple of weeks?

it does get better after 4-6 weeks but man what never got better for me was a pretty big loss of ejaculate amount and potency....make sure to have your testosterone leves checked....after 2 years on Lex my levels were in the tank and my libido, while existent, was lame at best. i am now on 100mg test injection a week and its a miracle ...and not just for sex but mental and physical strenght as well...

#15 youngtanboi

youngtanboi

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

Thankyou for ur reply...getting testesterone level checked?I never thought of that....maybe i should talk 2 my doc...

Edited by youngtanboi, 25 January 2011 - 07:07 AM.

#16 nahin

nahin

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

I'm on Citalopram atm and I too have this problem.

When I started out I could not get off, erection and arousal is not the problem. Simply could not get it off. Girlfriend din't complain tho.
Found that after about 2months with 20mg / day the problem was gone.

Now i started dosing it up and I'm at 40mg / day now. Problem is back.
Hoping that it will solve itself in antoher 2months or so.

If the problem does not solve itself, go see a doctor and switch meds.
And I saw that wisdom excels folly as light excels darkness. The wise man's eyes are in his head, but the fool walks in darkness. And yet I know that one fate befalls them both. - Ecclesiastes 2:13-14

#17 Fallout3

Fallout3

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

Took me a month but the problem went away with the other side effects 20mg a day here since day one, and I am starting to feel better, some days I feel tired or a little down but overall I feel better. :talktohand:

#18 intransition

intransition

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

it does get better after 4-6 weeks but man what never got better for me was a pretty big loss of ejaculate amount and potency....make sure to have your testosterone leves checked....after 2 years on Lex my levels were in the tank and my libido, while existent, was lame at best. i am now on 100mg test injection a week and its a miracle ...and not just for sex but mental and physical strenght as well...

I have been on some form of SSRI's for about 15 years (Zoloft, Effexor and now Lexapro) but I'm trying to get off the Lexapro for good and switching to Buspar for my anxiety/irritability. I too had low Test levels and have been on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) for about 16 months. Feel MUCH better since starting TRT but my orgasms are still pretty dull while on the Lexapro. I suggest all guys around the age of 40 to get their Testosterone levels checked to see where they are in relation to where they should be. Mine might have been caused by SSRI's, my vasectomy, or just is the way I am. I know my life has completely turned around since starting treatment though. Now it's time to get off the SSRI's and get the rest of my body back to normal.

#19 nahin

nahin

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:58 AM

Been on citalopram for about 4months soon, and everytime I increase dosage I get inorgasmia. But after about a week or so it settles and then stuff is back to normal. Well, It's harder for me to get an orgasm but I welcome that. Makes me hold out longer and that's a good thing in my eyes. Self asteem booster...
And I saw that wisdom excels folly as light excels darkness. The wise man's eyes are in his head, but the fool walks in darkness. And yet I know that one fate befalls them both. - Ecclesiastes 2:13-14

#20 SteveAIC91

SteveAIC91

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

I have been taking Celexa 20mg since august of last year. my Dr told me there could be sexual side effects. "Its not that you wont, it just might take longer." were her exact words lol
But at that time I didnt care because I hadnt been in a relationship for so long. so what did it matter to me? Well now im in a great relationship, but i have some sexual problems. She isnt complaining lol but really ***?
anyone else have the same problem?

Edited by lindahurt, 20 May 2011 - 01:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users