Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Switching From Effexor Xr To Cymbalta, Please Read My Story, 30/male W/ Great Life... Why Depression!?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 HybridKOOP

HybridKOOP

Just Registered

ID: 24924

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums but joined because I have a couple of questions about what has happened with me lately...

about three years ago, I was diagnosed with depression when out of the TOTAL blue, I was hit with the inability to concentrate, I wasn't eating, I had terrible anxiety, I was waking up earlier than normal with anxiety... etc. Before this, I was a healthy 26 year old guy, who had graduated college, and led a totally normal life.

I originally had no idea that it was even depression, but after MRI's and catscans, we figured it out, and I was started on Lexapro. Lexapro did nothing for me. We then tried Zoloft. Again... it did nothing for me. At this point, I was truly freaking out. I felt that my girlfriend of the time would wind up leaving me since I was "crazy", I thought I'd lose my job... etc. I marched forward and decided to try Effexor XR after my psych doc suggested it. I started out on 75mg, and voila, I felt much better. 2 months went by, and I had relapsed. Went up to 150mg, felt great for another two months. This continued until I was at 225mg per day and Remerol at night. I took the Remerol for a couple of months, and gained a TON of weight (I needed some weight, but not so much). I eventually stopped taking the Remerol on my own, and worked my way down to 150mg of Effexor. While on the 150... I was living life to about 90%+ as the Effexor was truly making a difference for me. I got engaged to my girlfriend, bought a house, got married last July... all was well. The only downside to the Effexor was lack of sexual drive, and increased blood pressure. To think and function on a normal basis, these side effects were very very minor to me overall.

about two weeks ago, like a freight train, all of the initial symptoms came back. My concentration is terrible, zero short term memory, not eating, waking early, etc. I called the doctor and asked for 37.5mg of Effexor more per day. It helped ONE night and I felt like I was headed in the right direction. But the next day was upsetting since I felt like I was getting worse. A week ago, we upped me to 225mg of the Effexor... but to no avail. I feel like I am getting worse as the days go by.

I am terribly frightened that since the other drugs we tried didn't work, and now that the Effexor doesn't seem to be working, that I will always have to feel like this.

My doc assures me that he has many many different options and combinations that could help me out. I guess I should believe him considering he got me through the last three years relatively symptom free. I met with him yesterday and he decided to take my Effexor down to 150mg for 3 days, then switch over to Cymbalta 60mg per day. Does ANYONE out there have any experience or know of anyone who Cymbalta has worked for after Effexor had stopped being effective? Any input is appreciated. I am praying to God every day that this is going to help me like the Effexor used to.

Also, just lately with this "relapse", I have blurred vision out of nowhere. Has anyone experienced that? THANKS for reading!

- Louis

#2 MSGuy

MSGuy

ID: 24952

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

HybridKOOP,
Cymbalta

I have had all of the experiences you have been going through so do not freak out and think that you are the only one. I have been in school, most of my life and have enjoyed life until my last year in college. All of the symptoms you have described I had. So I made an appointment with the schools Physcologist. She diagonosed me with Depression, Anxiety steming from the Depression. Hell one of the Physcologist told me that I was Bipolar. So they started me on a string on drugs as follows: Paxil, Lexapro, Effexor XR, Remoron, Xanax, Klonopin, Wellbutrin, ABilify lets just say that I have tried everything. Effexor XR worked great for awhile, then just stoped, so like you my doctors just up'd the dose until I was taking 300mg in morning and 75 in the evening. Then it all quit working. I thought that I was going to have to **** myself, because nothing worked and felt useless, like I was a burden. So I did attempt sucide. I put a gun to my head and pull the trigger, THE BULLET DID NOT FIRE. Then I realized what I had just done and I spiraled downward.

New Chapter in my life. So I finally went to another Physcologists not affliated with the school. There I also tried another battery of drugs. EVERYTHING, UNTIL I tried Cymbalta 60mg. I was absolutly amazed at how I felt. Cymbalta changed my life, I feel that my past was from someone I do not know, that is how different I feel. NEARLY ALL OF MY SYMPTOMS WERE DRAMATICALLY DECREASED. Listen the symptoms never fully go away, they just go into remission. Do not expect it to work overnight, as it took me about 1 month to start to feel anything. Before anyone asks about side effects I will tell you. Medications work very different on different people. Example my Father now takes Lexapro and he is great, when I took lexapro I almost killed someone I was so pi**ed at the world. As for Cymbalta I have had almost no side effects. Sometimes I feel a little brain cloudy, Sometimes but very rarely. Sometimes I feel a little depressed ( like I said no medication is going to be 100%). But then I am over it. As for the sexual side effects (I KNOW THIS IS IMPORTANT TO YOU BEING NEWLY MARRIED) I have not seen any decrease in my libido, not a single bit. As for the blurred vision, that almost seems like a variant of a panic attack.

I have been on Cymbalta now for 3 years and am now a functioning member of society. I am at 99%, not 100% because you do not when or if the medication might stop working (that always lingers in your mind). Like I said, not all medications work the same on different people. However, you and I seemed to share a lot of the same symptoms. Cymbalta has worked miracles for me. If you have any other questions you can PM me or just post them here. DO NOT GIVE UP. If Cymbalta does not work for you, something will. Never stop looking and never give up hope.

J

Edited by MSGuy, 03 May 2008 - 12:49 PM.

#3 MSGuy

MSGuy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

Sorry forgot to add this, I am now on 120mg of Cymbalta and it works great. 60mg was good, however after talking with the doc, he told me to try 120 and it worked awesome.

J

#4 Aquarian65

Aquarian65

ID: 24909

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

Hi all,
can I get in on this subject? I've been on effexor and wellbutrin for 10-15 years and it never seemed like it worked. Cymbalta is supposed to be the combo of those 2. Is that something you've heard? So now I'm off meds for one almost 2 weeks now. Anxiety is high, and I cry at Everything! But one other question I have is, have you gained any weight on this one? I know it effects people differently, but I'm as big as a house and I just don't want this to continue. I started losing weight right away after going off. When will this D*** crying stop too? Granted I cry even at Hallmark commercials, but this is just hideous.
One other thing I wanted to comment on is I'm glad the gun didn't fire. thanks for being here.
xoxoxo
K

#5 MSGuy

MSGuy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

Still have the 45 with the primer dented, I am glad too.

From what I know, I do no think that that Effexor and Wellbutrin combined are similar to Cymbalta. Effexor and Cymbalta are SSNRI's and Wellbutrin in a class of its own unrelated to any other AD. Cymbalta and Effexor both block the reuptake of Serotonin and Norepinephrine whereas SSRI's only block the reuptake of Serotonin. Wellbutrin blocks the reuptake of Noepinephrine and Dopamine and is usually prescribed when SSRI's and SSNRI's have previously failed. However Cymbalta and Effexor are in the same class that does not mean that the action of each drug is the same (mechanism wise). Cymbalta may have one or more different molecules that make it different from Effexor, based on the same principle of blocking both neurotransmitters. With varying chemical structures, the body will break each drug down differently and each active metabolite is different, yeilding different effects.

As for the weight, I did not find that I had an increase in appetite; actually I had a decrease in appetite. I would take my medication in the morning and not eat until that night when I got home. So I did not gain any weight, however with my anxiety I would not eat because I was scared that I might have to go somewhere. I was petrified to go anywhere after eating because I was scared that I might get sick, because of a panic attack.

Yes I remember the crying and non-stop bombardment of overwhelming feelings. Cymbalta helped me with that tremendously. I am not a Zombie or anything, just not as emotional. I still cry, but not at the drop of a hat something has to make me cry now.

Hope this Helps

J

#6 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

It usually takes about a year of trying different meds and combos to find one that works effectively to reduce all your symptoms. Stopping meds on your own is not the thing to do if you seriously want your doc to help find what works. We're all individual with our symptoms, and there's no wonder drug that works for all of us. More importantly, our bodies metabolize meds differently, and it's just a trial and error process. Being in our individual circumstances can also help us decide what side effects we're willing to deal with as all meds usually have one or two that goes along with it, longterm.

I've been on Cymbalta for 3+ years. Initially, my emotions were dampened, but they're all back. I sleep like a baby and I don't feel anxiety, although I know it's there. I'll take the dampened feelings compared to feeling all revved up and like my world was falling apart. I know it helps keep depression at bay. I have a little trouble with recall and usually have to wait for the right word or spelling to come through, lol! It's a small price to pay vs. being totally unable to deal with life issues, sitting at home crying because anxiety wants to keep me a prisoner in my home. I think it's been a wonderful med for me, even when reading about how difficult it is to get off the stuff. I can only be that concerned if I ever try to get off if it, and that's not in the even near future.

I had side effects like teeth clenching and a constant headache with Lexparo as it didn't cover the anxiety totally, and when I tried to go on a increase, the side effects increased to the point where it wasn't worth it. I felt a fast reduction with anxiety on Paxil, but all I wanted to do was sleep. You can't sleep at work, lol! It made me too groggy, even at a really small dose.

I worked for the year with my doc and she listened to me about what I was willing to tolerate. Together, we came up with a good combination as I also have another medical condition and am in constant pain. Cymbalta works on that to some degree, but another med helps more, so the combination keeps me from jumping out of my skin with pain and the anxiety it causes on an otherwise stressed mind.

I hope you find a combination that works for you. Docs usually look at other clients and draw from the experience of using multiple meds to treat different symptoms. It sounds like your doc is on this tract. I know being married has it's own responsibilities, but can tell you that what your feeling about lack of interest may be something that fades out in time. My experience is that it comes back, but in kind of a dampened form.

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#7 MSGuy

MSGuy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:41 PM

HyribKOOP you still there?

Just checking to see how you are doing????????? Just want to see that all is OK.

J

#8 psychocandy

psychocandy

ID: 18703

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:27 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums but joined because I have a couple of questions about what has happened with me lately...

about three years ago, I was diagnosed with depression when out of the TOTAL blue, I was hit with the inability to concentrate, I wasn't eating, I had terrible anxiety, I was waking up earlier than normal with anxiety... etc. Before this, I was a healthy 26 year old guy, who had graduated college, and led a totally normal life.

I originally had no idea that it was even depression, but after MRI's and catscans, we figured it out, and I was started on Lexapro. Lexapro did nothing for me. We then tried Zoloft. Again... it did nothing for me. At this point, I was truly freaking out. I felt that my girlfriend of the time would wind up leaving me since I was "crazy", I thought I'd lose my job... etc. I marched forward and decided to try Effexor XR after my psych doc suggested it. I started out on 75mg, and voila, I felt much better. 2 months went by, and I had relapsed. Went up to 150mg, felt great for another two months. This continued until I was at 225mg per day and Remerol at night. I took the Remerol for a couple of months, and gained a TON of weight (I needed some weight, but not so much). I eventually stopped taking the Remerol on my own, and worked my way down to 150mg of Effexor. While on the 150... I was living life to about 90%+ as the Effexor was truly making a difference for me. I got engaged to my girlfriend, bought a house, got married last July... all was well. The only downside to the Effexor was lack of sexual drive, and increased blood pressure. To think and function on a normal basis, these side effects were very very minor to me overall.

about two weeks ago, like a freight train, all of the initial symptoms came back. My concentration is terrible, zero short term memory, not eating, waking early, etc. I called the doctor and asked for 37.5mg of Effexor more per day. It helped ONE night and I felt like I was headed in the right direction. But the next day was upsetting since I felt like I was getting worse. A week ago, we upped me to 225mg of the Effexor... but to no avail. I feel like I am getting worse as the days go by.

I am terribly frightened that since the other drugs we tried didn't work, and now that the Effexor doesn't seem to be working, that I will always have to feel like this.

My doc assures me that he has many many different options and combinations that could help me out. I guess I should believe him considering he got me through the last three years relatively symptom free. I met with him yesterday and he decided to take my Effexor down to 150mg for 3 days, then switch over to Cymbalta 60mg per day. Does ANYONE out there have any experience or know of anyone who Cymbalta has worked for after Effexor had stopped being effective? Any input is appreciated. I am praying to God every day that this is going to help me like the Effexor used to.

Also, just lately with this "relapse", I have blurred vision out of nowhere. Has anyone experienced that? THANKS for reading!

- Louis

Hey fella, :hearts:

Thats what a lot of people dont understand - depression can strike anyone no matter how perfect your life is !!!

I was the same. Had a job paying LOADS of money but didnt get paid if I didnt go in to work. Guess what - I had loads of time off work. Nice wife, house, car, money - to all outward appearances perfect.

Same as you I've tried a fair few drugs, Paroxetine, Remeron and currently Effexor. All work for a bit then dont. Still searching for the magic bullet !!!! I get months at a time where I'm ok then months at a time when I'm not. Been like this for 12 years or so.

I'm with you - I know how tough and frustrating it can be when things turn bad yet again and all you want is to be cured !!!!!
:flowers:
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#9 MSGuy

MSGuy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

Everyone is looking for that "magic bullet"; however odds are usually against us. Just like today, was very bad day for me, I was just not myself: mad at the world and was just all around angry. I know that medication does not work all of the time, but today was a VERY bad day..... I am just waiting for tommorow so it can be better :hearts: that is all anyone can expect....

We all have bad days, just bear with them and hope tommorow is better and you know what............... It always is!!!!!!!!!

J

Edited by MSGuy, 07 May 2008 - 08:33 PM.

#10 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

I get a bad day, here and there, but I think it's easier to snap out of a bad day after you have been through the symptoms of depression and anxiety and not on meds. Now, those were some bad days and I thought I was going to loose my mind. Not what you were planning on doing in life. It just sneaked up on me and started to rule me. Anxiety sucks!

Anyhow, I put the bad day behind me and strive for better tomorrows. I feel things, but not to the extent that I did without meds. I think Cymbalta blocks the symptoms really well. I know I still felt anxiety and depression when I was on Lexparo, but I had tons of tension in my neck and jaw. I had a mind headache all the time, and my doc said it was from tension, but as soon as I got stable on Cymbalta, it went away......

I'm glad to hear that you like Cymbalta. It does a great job of keeping me glued together. I don't have racing thoughts and can think things through. I notice I get a little forgetful at times and have to pay attention to what I'm doing, but it's not the only med I'm on, so I think that has all to do with it. I work fulltime, am married and have three kids who are all teens. Help!!! Actually, they aren't the problem. I just worry too much, get anxious, have a pain disorder that just drives me nutz at times, and if you add it all up, it's not good. I had trouble sleeping, initially and that was a signal I was having a relapse. Now, I know what my relapse warning signs are. Not being able to sleep and worrying all the time and not acting on what I need to do. It's an easy rut to get into. Procrastination knows me, well.

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#11 idleinn

idleinn

ID: 25162

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:49 PM

Hello everyone,

- Louis

Thats what a lot of people dont understand - depression can strike anyone no matter how perfect your life is !!!

I was the same. Had a job paying LOADS of money but didnt get paid if I didnt go in to work. Guess what - I had loads of time off work. Nice wife, house, car, money - to all outward appearances perfect.

Same as you I've tried a fair few drugs, Paroxetine, Remeron and currently Effexor. All work for a bit then dont. Still searching for the magic bullet !!!! I get months at a time where I'm ok then months at a time when I'm not. Been like this for 12 years or so.

I'm with you - I know how tough and frustrating it can be when things turn bad yet again and all you want is to be cured !!!!!

GDAY PSYCHCANDY ,LIKE YOU I HAVE TIED S*** LOADS OF STUFF JUST STARTED ON CYMBALTA THREE DAYS AGO IT HAS ONLY COME ON TO THE PBS GOVERMENT SYSTEM THIS MONTH HOW ABOUT WHERE YOU ARE IS IT AVAILABLE?
HAVE A NICE DAY....

#12 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

ID: 23704

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:31 AM

HybridKOOP and others...
With depressions that strike out of the blue, I would seriously recommend doing the combination of medication AND therapy. You can feel you've had a "normal" life, but something may be deep-seated from very long ago, that has been re-activated. Or at least get a psychological evaluation.

I'd never have made it without the meds, but I have to say that goes equally for psychotherapy... and both together is like a 1+1=3 situation.
YMMV.

#13 idleinn

idleinn

ID: 25162

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:29 AM

HybridKOOP and others...
With depressions that strike out of the blue, I would seriously recommend doing the combination of medication AND therapy. You can feel you've had a "normal" life, but something may be deep-seated from very long ago, that has been re-activated. Or at least get a psychological evaluation.

I'd never have made it without the meds, but I have to say that goes equally for psychotherapy... and both together is like a 1+1=3 situation.
YMMV.

Yes i agree you need to get the grey matter on track as part of the recovery process, in between changing from efffexor to cymbalta i had three weeks in clinic doing intensive CBT course they lower my 600 mgs of effexor back down to cipramal +lamactogine and diazepam to enable me to take it all in. After being at home for 6 weeks trying to make it work hit rock bottom went back to clinic for review and they puy me back on to heavy meds again. It was worth a try anyway as i am sick of changing meds every couple years. When i get back on top of this new meds i plan on revisiting all my CBT manuals and see how i go with a clearer head.Even though we proved i still need heavy meds i still hope that one day i may be able to change this 20 + years of depressed brain arround to enable me to cope with less hic-ups and changes i know i will be on them for the rest of my life that not a problem but a bit of stability would go along way....

Have a nice day all...

#14 not_alone

not_alone

ID: 26024

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:31 PM

I have suffered from depression for many years. I also suffer from PTSD, generalized anxiety disorder, and now they are saying bipolar. I have been in the psych ward 6 times. Being there helped me get away from the world and stabilize myself. That is what psych wards are for.....to stabilize you. I have tried every anti-depressant out there. Now I am on Cymbalta and it seems to be working thus far. I am also on a mood stabilizer. I can understand what you are feeling. You get to a point were you have tried several medications and start losing hope. I am also going to a psychologist once a week. You might consider doing that. Anti-depressants are not going to make you feel up all the time. Going to therapy is very beneficial with the medication. The combination can do wonders. I know I felt good when I was taking my medication and going to therapy. Also, the doctor's start off with one medication and then add on. It took 4 years for them to add another medication. They do not want to be very invasive. However, I was the one who suggested the mood stabilizer. And it has helped. So you might want to talk about more options with your psychiatrist. If you are being prescribed meds by a regular doctor you might want to go to a psychiatrist. They are more specialized in mental illness. Hope this helps.

#15 tman220

tman220

ID: 24120

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

Hi everyone, i just want to say thank you to the couple people who have posted on this topic!....i havnt read all the posts, but the ones i did were very inspiring! :hearts:

I am saying this because i too have been battling with right and wrong meds, as it almost seems like there sombody turning an on/off switch inside of me whenever they feel like it throughout every day.....after lexapro didnt work, i tried zoloft wich didnt work. I have been pondering just giving up lately, but this forum gave me some newfound hope to try a new med and hope for the best!.....and also, after reading these posts, i will probably try effexor first, then Cymbalta!....thanks again guys!

#16 HybridKOOP

HybridKOOP

Just Registered

ID: 24924

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hi everyone, i just want to say thank you to the couple people who have posted on this topic!....i havnt read all the posts, but the ones i did were very inspiring! :hearts:

I am saying this because i too have been battling with right and wrong meds, as it almost seems like there sombody turning an on/off switch inside of me whenever they feel like it throughout every day.....after lexapro didnt work, i tried zoloft wich didnt work. I have been pondering just giving up lately, but this forum gave me some newfound hope to try a new med and hope for the best!.....and also, after reading these posts, i will probably try effexor first, then Cymbalta!....thanks again guys!

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been back to this forum lately. I will post in detail where I stand now, but a long story short is... Cymbalta 60mg worked for 2 weeks then stopped, he put me up to 90mg which made me feel worse, I think. We added Remeron which worked for 2 weeks, then THAT stopped. I just stopped Cymbalta and started Pristiq. Today is day 2 on that, and I feel that nasty feeling when I used to be late/miss a dose of Effexor. Not sure what I want to do at this point as I feel like crap. Ativan is barely making a dent to make me feel better, and that usually is VERY effective (0.5mg a couple times per day). I am really thinking about going back to the Effexor and cranking it up to 300mg to see what happens.

#17 nanamore

nanamore

ID: 25963

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

Hello everyone,

- Louis

#18 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

ID: 17288

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

It might take a combination of medications working together before you get it right and it stays that way. I know it can be soooo frustrating, especially because each AD takes 4-8 weeks to get in your system, and then what if you have to taper off one before you go on another? That takes even more time, and the whole time you go through this, you are feeling lousy. I'm sorry you are all feeling this way, and I went through this last summer, until I finally found an AD that worked-that being Cymbalta. I take the 90 mg., and initially had to deal with going through all the side effects again when I raised my dosage, but it did stabilize. Hope you can find something that permanently works!

Hello everyone,

- Louis

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:11 AM

Hello everyone,

- Louis

GDAY PSYCHCANDY ,LIKE YOU I HAVE TIED S*** LOADS OF STUFF JUST STARTED ON CYMBALTA THREE DAYS AGO IT HAS ONLY COME ON TO THE PBS GOVERMENT SYSTEM THIS MONTH HOW ABOUT WHERE YOU ARE IS IT AVAILABLE?
HAVE A NICE DAY....

I'm in the UK. I think Cymbalta is available here ????

#20 nervous_nellie

nervous_nellie

Just Registered

ID: 26437

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:21 PM

I took Cymbalta at 60-90 mg for over 2 years, but it never helped with the severe anger and intense outbursts. Went to a new dr. and he put me on mood stablilizers, thinking I was bi-polar, but they just didn't cut it. He stopped my Cymbalta, and now, 8 months later, I'm wanting him to put me back on it. At least I was handling my depression ok. Now, I'm on Abilify, and the akethesia is driving me bonkers. I still have intense outbursts, so I am not sure what to do.

I joined this group today - not exactly sure why - but I feel so alone. I'm so depressed, yet the dr. keeps throwing clonapin or lorazapam or geodon at me and all it does is make me want to sleep. So, I am not taking any of them, except for clonapin when I feel just too anxious and am about to jump out of my own skin, and if my husband is home. People don't understand me, they say, "you have such a wonderful husband who provides well, two beautiful children, you don't have to work" <I'm too freaked to get a job right now> but I just can't feel good about any of it. I'm so down.

Perhaps reading some posts on the forum will help me realize I'm not alone?

#21 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

ID: 17288

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

I took Cymbalta at 60-90 mg for over 2 years, but it never helped with the severe anger and intense outbursts. Went to a new dr. and he put me on mood stablilizers, thinking I was bi-polar, but they just didn't cut it. He stopped my Cymbalta, and now, 8 months later, I'm wanting him to put me back on it. At least I was handling my depression ok. Now, I'm on Abilify, and the akethesia is driving me bonkers. I still have intense outbursts, so I am not sure what to do.

I joined this group today - not exactly sure why - but I feel so alone. I'm so depressed, yet the dr. keeps throwing clonapin or lorazapam or geodon at me and all it does is make me want to sleep. So, I am not taking any of them, except for clonapin when I feel just too anxious and am about to jump out of my own skin, and if my husband is home. People don't understand me, they say, "you have such a wonderful husband who provides well, two beautiful children, you don't have to work" <I'm too freaked to get a job right now> but I just can't feel good about any of it. I'm so down.

Welcome Nellie,

You came to right place. There are many understanding people here who have been through situations similar to what you are experiencing. I think you are right to ask your Dr. to go back on an SNRI like Cymbalta or maybe one of the others like Effexor. If the benzos. make you too sleepy, I'd be reluctant to take them during the day too.

I'm sorry you feel sad and lonely, but I think you'll find many friendly voices here. Hope you start to feel better.

Sincerely,

Maddie
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 healthyagain

healthyagain

Just Registered

ID: 26595

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:12 AM

Hi Nellie,
I just joined the forum tonight after finding so many posts from caring people who share similar feelings. I just stopped taking Cymbalta 3 weeks ago after having been on 60 mg for the past 4 years. Prior to cymbalta I took Prozac for a year, but it lost its effectiveness. Cymbalta worked very well for me (post traumatic stress and general anxiety/depression). This past year I spent some time doing self-help in trying to discover the root of my inner problems/shame/depression. I felt I was really ready to go off the medication, but I was not prepared for the side effects of withdrawal! My doctor did not inform me, so I have spent the past few weeks thinking I had some sort of brain/neurological/heart condition! Tonight after the kids and my husband went to bed, I decided to google the effects of going off cymbalta and found this forum. I found all of my symptoms - with great detailed descriptions - memory loss, brain zaps, ocular pain, blurry vision, tired, etc... So I guess I'm not dying after all!!! If you do decide to go back on Cymbalta, there is a lot of information on this forum that may be useful for when you feel you are ready to go off of it!

As far as the outbursts - I'm thinking that you mean you feel overwhelmed or enraged and either act out or yell (at kids or husband)??? I have caught myself a couple of times since going off of the cymbalta feeling that way, but have a much better grasp on handling myself and controlling myself since I've done some self-help therapy. I have never had any professional therapy, (I'm sure I could use it) but haven't done so due lack of money and husband support! I have found some great books from our library system related to my personal issues (grew up in an extremely narcisstic family, and as an adult I still have to deal with my 2 narcisstic parents, sister, and a narcisstic mother-in-law!) In understanding my past, accepting it, and taking charge of my life now as an adult, I have a whole different perspective on who I am and my boundaries. I hope that you are able to find your inner self and grow from there and eventually be medication free! I too have heard the all too familiar "you're so lucky you don't have to work... that must be so nice with your husbands schedule..." to the "you should be working and hiring a nanny.... why do you...you should..." the list could go on forever, heh? I often wonder how a professional would diagnose my life! One thing I do know is that I was not born with depression! I was born feeling good and it wasn't until I couldn't bear anymore mental burdens that I became physically depressed with all the physical symptoms of anxiety - couldn't sleep, crying, hyperventilating, clenched teeth (tmj), rosacea... feeling crazy!

I hope your doctor will put you on whatever safe effective medication you need and that you can also find the right therapy for yourself so that you too can raise your children in a healthy state of mind!

Did you have any withdrawal problems after going off cymbalta the first time? Does anyone know how long withdrawal lasts?

Edited by healthyagain, 04 July 2008 - 01:42 AM.

#23 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:31 AM

Starting Cymbalta tomorrow (along with tapering off the effexor) - wish me luck !!!!

#24 Kimmy1975

Kimmy1975

Just Registered

ID: 37175

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:47 AM

[quote name='HybridKOOP' post='413010' date='May 2 2008, 02:27 PM']Hello everyone,

Edited by Kimmy1975, 28 May 2009 - 09:42 AM.

#25 Kimmy1975

Kimmy1975

Just Registered

ID: 37175

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

quote name='HybridKOOP' date='May 2 2008, 02:27 PM' post='413010']
Hello everyone,

- Louis
[/quote]

Edited by Kimmy1975, 28 May 2009 - 09:42 AM.

#26 miseryme

miseryme

ID: 37857

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:51 AM

Hi,
I dont think theres a magic bullet or tablet. Ive had depression since I can remember having thoughts. Who knows. Not all depression is reactive...a reaction to something. Some is just organic or built in. I feel for you...it sucks.
Misery

Hello everyone,

- Louis

#27 russiangirl

russiangirl

ID: 38990

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:46 AM

Starting Cymbalta tomorrow (along with tapering off the effexor) - wish me luck !!!!

same here !
I was on Effexor, first seemed like it was MAGIC, I started to lose weight, felt happy, truly happy, life was amazing, then it all stoped, not working anymore, gained 10 lb +, felt like crap, hopeless (all within a year or so); now found new doc, started Cymbalta... coming off effexor is AWEFULL!! now i now how drug users feel
so far don't feel much w cymbalta 60 mg
any feedbacks on weight w cymbalta? don't want to gain even more lb, it's depressing hope to lose some, please everyone, tell me about your weight issues
thanks

#28 russiangirl

russiangirl

ID: 38990

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

Sorry forgot to add this, I am now on 120mg of Cymbalta and it works great. 60mg was good, however after talking with the doc, he told me to try 120 and it worked awesome.

J

please let me know about appetite/weight issue... is there any difference from 60mb to 120? how did it affect you?
thank you !

#29 marylander

marylander

ID: 43665

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

Russian girl,
I have been on 60 mg of Cymbalta for 4 years and I've gained 50 lbs! However, from reading all the posts it seems to affect everyone differently. Some people lost weight at first and then gained it. Did you end up going on it? If so, what has been the result?

--M

J

please let me know about appetite/weight issue... is there any difference from 60mb to 120? how did it affect you?
thank you !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users