Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Every Other Day Wellbutrin?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 scoobnme

scoobnme

ID: 24442

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

Well, I finally got up the courage to try my first pill, 150XL, yesterday. Felt weird but not overly so. Slept ok actually, sort of wiped out appetite. Anyway, it is now time for the next pill (24 hrs later) and I still feel a bit wired, etc. Do you think since I am just starting out I could take it tomorrow instead? Do every other day for awhile, then maybe increase to every day? Or try today and if too much, then do every other? Thanks. Scoobnme

#2 Reborn

Reborn

ID: 23242

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

That's a bad idea. The XL formulation is set to release it over a 16-24 hour period (roughly). Thus, if you took it every other day, the first day you would have a constant supply and the second you would have no additional bupropion. This would cause the available level of the drug in your system to fluctuate rapidly.

Bupropion does typically have some side effects when you start it, and I can only imagine this dosing system would greatly exacerbate them.

Basically, you're suggesting doing something which was not meant by the manufacturers to be done. If you still disagree with me, you really should get the OK from your doctor at first.

Keep in mind, your blood levels of bupropion was fluctuate until it reaches a steady state (1-2 weeks maybe?) This means you may feel the effects off and on early, but you should feel more stable once there is a constant amount in your system.

When I started bupropion I had the same side effects. It inhibited my appetite a bit, and made me hyper. It actually made the room spin a bit for me the very first time I took it and the first time increased the dose. That only happened those two days though. All of my side effects disappeared two weeks after hitting my final dose. (Until recently)
I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid! Why must people always equate the two?

#3 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:59 AM

I agree with Reborn, that skipping days is a bad idea. The goal is to achieve a steady state of the medication in your system, and you can't have that if you're dosing every 48 hours with a daily medication. The few times I've missed even one dose, I've been thrown off kilter for days.

It's very common to feel overstimulated when you start Wellbutrin, but for most people that fades away. The first 2 weeks are usually the most challenging with any antidepressant, but then the side effects will start to fade, and soon you'll start to feel the benefits. It takes about 6-8 weeks to fully adjust to an AD, but you should start feeling better sooner than that.

Stay hydrated and avoid other stimulants like caffeine while you adjust. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#4 scoobnme

scoobnme

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and took it, then today took one also--this is day 3 (150XL). I think that I am already noticing the problem I had on Paxil--unable to cry. WB is so chemically different (opposite actually) from Paxil that I never anticipated this. I don't think I have read this as a side effect from any others on this forum. Otherwise I think it's going ok. I dont seem to have the insomnia others do. Well, I awaken very often all night long, probably every 30 min to every hour, but I do get back to sleep. I know that's not good sleep, but consider insomnia to be more of the lying awake for hours not sleeping at all. I've always slept poorly unless I took a sleep aid (sonata or ambien), but with little kids want to be able to tend to them in the night and not be too zonked. Anyway, how about this inability to cry, anybody else experience it? Thanks.
Scoobnme

#5 Reborn

Reborn

ID: 23242

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

Inability to cry? Are you actively trying to cry?

That seems like it would be a theraputic effect of the drug. WB can act very fast as it is a stimulant. Browse the forums for info on "the Wellbutrin Honeymoon"
I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid! Why must people always equate the two?

#6 scoobnme

scoobnme

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for replies. I am still on it, overall doing ok, more insomnia, but not the anxiety I had feared. I did go to Wellbutrin honeymoon phase and found it helpful. Reborn, to answer your question--one of my children died of cancer and I don't think it's healthy or normal to be unable to cry. A good cleansing cry is often a much needed release and catharsis. I did tear up a few times this week, so maybe the ability is not entirely gone. Will have to wait and watch I guess.

#7 Mimen

Mimen

ID: 22830

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

:hearts: WELCOME AND HELOOOOOOO

Dont skip days please it could mean trouble. Dont beat yourself up about the crying it is a natural process. I worried about it for months after my mom passed away and about 9 months down the line I had such a spectacular cry that I had to pull the car over in the middle of nowhere and cried for what felt like hours. Worked pretty much the same when my dad passed away.

You are the only person that can compensate for the terrible, terrible loss you have had. The wound runs very deep and time and your body will take the natural path the heal.

WB is a fantastic drug, best I have ever been on and I have been on 2 to 3 other very good ones as well so my base for comparison is quite wide.

Please hang in there you will not get all the side effects you will read about on the net. People tend to post only when they feel side effects and nothing after it has been going great for a couple of months and years.

I send all my angels over to you to look after you during this time in your life.

Thanks for replies. I am still on it, overall doing ok, more insomnia, but not the anxiety I had feared. I did go to Wellbutrin honeymoon phase and found it helpful. Reborn, to answer your question--one of my children died of cancer and I don't think it's healthy or normal to be unable to cry. A good cleansing cry is often a much needed release and catharsis. I did tear up a few times this week, so maybe the ability is not entirely gone. Will have to wait and watch I guess.

BPII and loving it!

#8 scoobnme

scoobnme

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

Mimen, thank you for all your kind words and advice. I am so glad to hear what a great drug it is for you. There is something I really like about it too, but not even sure what it is! As I had mentioned earlier, Paxil had been a wonder drug for me because it kept me so calm, nothing bothered me, stopped all my irritability, etc. I was always nice! But when my daughter got sick I stopped it because I really needed to cry, a lot. And of course I did. Now I have a lot of anger with the grief, and take it out on mostly my poor husband. If the WB does not help that enough, I might then add a small dose of Paxil, but first I'll give the WB a try by itself. The energy is a very welcome part of the WB. I have so much to do and want to make sure all my other children get the time and attention they deserve. We all love each other so very much, and they need to see me as fun, not sad. Will keep you updated. How are you doing now? Was it a problem with finding the right dose, etc? Let me know.

Scoobnme

#9 Mimen

Mimen

ID: 22830

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:12 AM

I will PM you a previous post of mine?

Mimen, thank you for all your kind words and advice. I am so glad to hear what a great drug it is for you. There is something I really like about it too, but not even sure what it is! As I had mentioned earlier, Paxil had been a wonder drug for me because it kept me so calm, nothing bothered me, stopped all my irritability, etc. I was always nice! But when my daughter got sick I stopped it because I really needed to cry, a lot. And of course I did. Now I have a lot of anger with the grief, and take it out on mostly my poor husband. If the WB does not help that enough, I might then add a small dose of Paxil, but first I'll give the WB a try by itself. The energy is a very welcome part of the WB. I have so much to do and want to make sure all my other children get the time and attention they deserve. We all love each other so very much, and they need to see me as fun, not sad. Will keep you updated. How are you doing now? Was it a problem with finding the right dose, etc? Let me know.

Scoobnme

BPII and loving it!

#10 PetersKeys

PetersKeys

ID: 35186

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:11 AM

I have to disagree. If your feeling really weird that means it might be too strong. Taking it every other day sometimes can help your body get used to it easier. I take wellbutrin every other day with selegiline in between them. Allot of doctors sometimes have patients take prozac every other day too.

Edited by PetersKeys, 21 June 2009 - 05:13 AM.

#11 kittyday

kittyday

ID: 37930

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:38 AM

I have been on wellbutrin for many years. I works well when I need it. When I becom happy independent and self assured it begins to make me hyper. Anxious. I was taken off the meddication because I did not need it anymore, but recent events w/ pregnancy and dealing w/ a closet substance abuser has led me back to the gallows. This is the worst state of depression I have been in my sholw life. I feel I will never be happy again.

I initially started on the lowest dose, but found it went through my body too fast. so I would split the dose take one in the morning and one at lunch. This reduced my symptoms/side effects and stay in my body at a steadier rate.

Since my current trauma, I have now been jumped to 300mg. 150 twice a day before 2 pm for 5 days and 300 in the am daily for the last week. I have felt ok so far. but some of my thaughts and feelins are not subdued. Counseling makes a big difference.

I would not suggest the every other day dose. I have done that and crashed like a semi going 200 mph. As a result I was hospitalized. Given this is your first time stay on the daily dose and talk to th dr about cutting the dose in1/2/ to take twice ady.

good Luck :hearts:
Kittyday

#12 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

ID: 19273

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

Scoobnme

Hi: I know this is an old post but just started Wellbutrin and looking for all the info I can get. Are you still using the Wellbutrin and if so, what dosage are you on? Did you ever take it every other day or every day as most people suggested. I hope your grief has lessened somewhat.

Thanks, Karen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users