• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Is Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello! Understand that this is a long process that will be ongoing for awhile. Somethings may not seem right or look right at the moment, such as your profile page. So some things may not work as expected for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually it will all come together and be wonderful! It may be as if nothing has ever changed... Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to ask any questions they may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
psi81

Worsening Of Depression Upon Starting Wellbutrin

195 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

I know you can keep it up. I think it's going to help us both. Have faith :smilingteeth:

Our brains are adjusting, and it sucks. I don't know how I'm going to feel tomorrow.

Today I felt great, and like I just woke up from a nightmare. Tomorrow might be a whole other story. I'll keep you posted. Have a good night and God bless.

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Thanks for the support, Fenix. I'll try to hang in with this for the 10 weeks. It's only just over 3 more weeks for me anyway. I've gone this far. Days like yesterday make it pretty difficult though. Edited by Coyote

Posted · Report post  

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1280770227' post='653235']
Thanks for the support, Fenix. I'll try to hang in with this for the 10 weeks. It's only just over 3 more weeks for me anyway. I've gone this far. Days like yesterday make it pretty difficult though.
[/quote]

Hang in there, Coyote. You're going to be the next in the long line of people in these forums that write to report that they've turned the corner!

Posted · Report post  

[quote name='TroutMask' timestamp='1280782326' post='653272']
Hang in there, Coyote. You're going to be the next in the long line of people in these forums that write to report that they've turned the corner!
[/quote]
Thanks, TroutMask

I sure do hope that's the case. Seems crazy that something could take that long to make a difference, but I'll ride it out a few more weeks and see what happens.

Posted · Report post  

Hi all,
have not been on here for a while. Depression is back with job loss, financial matters and all that, wife is not in the best mood with me cause I gave up. I just kinda gave up and do not care, except for my family really. But I care enough to get better now. I have had it and I want to get better
Had Paxil and Celexa in the past, now on Wellbutrin 100mg SD, one a day. Not too much happening, no kick as you talked about, but feel a bit hopeful and stuff and I will stick it out for 8 weeks, so we will see. Getting ready for the roller coaster
I see him in a month so then I will get more I guess
peace talk soon

Posted · Report post  

Fenix,

Just checking in to see how you're doing. You're getting close to 7 weeks now and I was wondering if it kicked in for you yet.

Hope to hear from you.

Posted · Report post  

Gaaaah. This seems so hopeless!

7 Weeks! I still feel empty, worthless. Like a ghost. Thoughts of dying, thoughts of sleeping and never waking up.

I don't have hope that this depression will leave. It seems so hopeless!!

My brain's in a fog all day long, I feel slow and stupid and useless!!

That's how I'm doing.. How are you doing Coyote?? Are you doing better??

I really don't want to switch medication.. but 7 weeks.. maybe I'll give it one more.

They say the darkest hour comes before the dawn.

Posted · Report post  

Fenix,

Sorry you're still having a rough go of it. In this thread I saw that some people didn't get benefit til 10 or 11 weeks. Seems a hellish sentence to wait that long, but who knows.

Me, I'm at 8 weeks now. 300mg XL and a hefty dose of Remeron at night. I always feel best in the morning, before I dose. I feel pretty good then. After dosing the WB, it always fuzzies up my thinking a bit around a half hour to 45 minutes after taking it, and that feeling stays around but wears off in about an hour.

I've had a couple of bad nights recently. My depression always seems worse at night. I too, have felt like this just isn't going to work sometimes, but I'm sticking with it until my next pdoc appt (30th of this month). At that point, I'll be at around 11 weeks, so I'll know whether I want to try to up the WB to 450mg, or just quit it altogether. I don't feel horrible during the daytime, I just don't feel good (and I still isolate, mostly).

Hoping it turns around for you soon. You think you can stick with it another 3 weeks? We can try to do it together.

Posted · Report post  

I'm not giving up so easily haha. I can't. I'll wait 3 months. I think I'm reacting very very slowly to it.

Besides, I'm not taking any other AD I'd like to keep my sex drive/waistline haha.

We'll keep going together and I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

Posted · Report post  

I'm actually pretty darned dispirited today. Thinking it's pointless to continue this med trial. I'll try for another 3 weeks, but jeez, this is tough sledding. Will I ever feel good?

Posted · Report post  

I hear you..

It doesn't help having people tell me I should quit meds and have faith in God..

Although faith in God is good to have..

All day today I've been in a fog. Not depressed and hurting, yet unable to function or move properly.

Anyway, let's get through the day. Talk to you tomorrow.

Posted · Report post  

Funny thing, as poorly as I felt earlier yesterday, last night I felt the best I have in some time, and feeling decent today too. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted · Report post  

Yeah.. I woke up this morning pretty optimistic, ready for the day.

Once I got out into public my anxiety kicked in full force and I had to drive home.. Man, if it's not one thing it's the other. I'm thinking about starting BuSpar but the start up may furthur my depression. I'm seeing a doc on tuesday, so we'll talk about it.

If I had to guess, I'd say your anxiety will be abating soon. Mine has only recently started to, but I'll take whatever progress I can get. Today I ran several errands. Until recently, particularly since I started the med trials, doing those things seemed really daunting. A couple of times at the store I had super high anxiety. Today, no big deal. I just did the stuff. Not counting any chickens yet though. Edited by Coyote

Posted · Report post  

It's working!!! 8 weeks and it's working!! :Coopyahoo:

But I still gotta get something for anxiety, I'm thinking 10mg of Celexa.

Posted · Report post  

[quote name='Fenix03' timestamp='1281805652' post='656920']
It's working!!! 8 weeks and it's working!! :Coopyahoo:

But I still gotta get something for anxiety, I'm thinking 10mg of Celexa.
[/quote]

That's awesome! Super happy for you. Has it been working for a few days in a row?

Posted · Report post  

Yeah 2 days, but I'm positive it's working I can feel it. It's the anxiety that sucks. Public speaking, and simply being around other people is pretty overwhelming. My chest feels like it's caving in around people. But whatever, in my opinion it's 10000000000 X's better than the depression I was in.

How about you Coyote? Another good day?

Posted · Report post  

[quote name='Fenix03' timestamp='1281827083' post='656976']
How about you Coyote? Another good day?
[/quote]
Nah, seem to have backtracked the last couple of days. Still hanging in until pdoc appt in two weeks. We shall see.

It's very cool that you're turning a corner though. Your idea about possibly adding some SSRI is probably a good one (or Buspar). Who knows, though, maybe the anxiety will resolve on its own too.

Posted · Report post  

4 consecutive days of feeling great :smilingteeth: Thought I'd give an update.

I've never really thought about my future or anything because I've never cared, but I'm thinking I might get into Psychology!! It'd be great to be an addictions counsellor, or a clinical psychologist! To help people with the same struggles I've had.
FightThePowah likes this

Posted · Report post  

What's pretty cool about your update, Fenix, is that you are now one of the stories that inspires others as they muddle through start up problems. Eight weeks to work for you, and then it clicked on, so to speak.

I had an improved day yesterday, but nothing I'd call great yet, like you're experiencing. I'll take improvement though.

Hey guys, I started wb a little over a week ago. I'm also on 15mg of remeron each night and 15mg of buspar twice a day. My starting dose of the wb was 150 xl each day for a week, now its 300 a day. No honeymoon period at all. I was on paxil for a few months and it worked great. It really helped me with anxiety, which is the main reason I started meds in the first place. Unfortunately, I quit because the sexual side effects were just too much. I've had the electric shocks and they are no fun.

Ever since I quit the paxil I've been on remeron. I actually started it while I was still on the pail and it immediately helped my sex drive but seemed to make the paxil less effective. I tried 30mg of the remeron but this was at the same time I was getting the shocks and didn't know they were from the paxil, so my doc brought me back down to 15mg.

Anyways, so far I've had no honeymoon, only increased irritability and amplified emotions, not in a good way either. My anxiety is back even though I feel like the paxil taught me a lot. I know how to think but I can't help feeling anxious anyways. And I've been depressed before, but when I started the paxil I wasn't very depressed, it was for anxiety. However, as time goes by my depression has increasingly getting worse, and since I've started the wb its been pretty bad, especially because I can't sleep anymore. The remeron really improved the quality of my sleep and appetite at first, but these effects have gone away, even before I started the wb.

What should I do? I really am not down to spend 7 more weeks like this to see if it works. Would anyone suggest an maoi? An ssri with little to no sexual side effects? My doctor is hesitant to prescribe any benzos to me, which is unfortunate bc they actually work for anxiety, unlike buspar.

Well I just wanted to vent in here bc I'm frustrated about the wb. I thought it was a stimulant and gave at least some immediate reaction, but so for it honestly just seems to be making things worse and not really doing anything else except making me overly emotional. Later fellow WBer's Edited by lmaosuine

Posted · Report post  

Welcome, Lmaosuine,

If you read through this entire thread, you'll probably note that there were several people who had a difficult start up period, thought of quitting, but kept taking it, to later have it kick in and work nicely.

I guess only you can know if the side effects are so problematic that you can't continue. I'm over two months into WB, and I found that the anxiety has pretty much gone now (in the last two weeks).

Some people add low dose SSRI to their WB to counter anxiety and it works well for them. WB is known to enhance libido, so maybe adding a bit of SSRI (if you've got some Paxil left) to the WB could smooth out your ride, and the WB would cancel out Paxil's sexual side effects.

Anyway, at only a week into the WB trial, it's not at all uncommon to be feeling mostly (if not all) side effects. They do go away with time. Also, you can cut down or eliminate caffeine while on WB. I was taking Remeron to help with depression and sleep, but I found that while on WB, Remeron just doesn't put me to sleep (plus, I wanted to eat everything not nailed down and put on a couple of pounds). Now I just use very low dose Ambien (I break a tab in half), and 1/4 tab of Trazodone and the last couple of nights I've slept better (knocking on wood).

An aside, I find that WB helps with concentration too.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hey Coyote,

Thanks for your reply. I did read through the entire thread, and I saw how people seemed to get better after about two months. The problem is, I just really don't want to wait two months feeling like this. There are some situational factors contributing to my depression and anxiety, but they aren't as bad as the WB is making them seem. I was totally fine with them while on paxil/remeron. I do think I need to add talk therapy to my treatment bc i don't want to just mask my issues and have them come back when I stop AD's.

I'm really curious to know how the WB is working for you, Coyote. I read all the previous posts in this thread and it seems the WB has been very slow to work for you. But you mentioned that now, after two months, your anxiety has subsided. How about depression? Is it everything you could hope for? I'm almost ready to bite the bullet and take the side effects of an MAOI because they just seem like wonder drugs.

EDIT: Oh, and that's a good suggestion about adding an SSRI to the WB. I really do think paxil was effective and not just placebo, but I'm scared of the sexual side effects and whether they're permanent or not. Right now, my sex drive is totally fine, but I've just seen so many horror stories online about permanent side effects after stopping paxil or other ssri's. The shocks are definitely something to be taken seriously, they're very uncomfortable. They do seem to be going away though.

I'll keep all this in mind when I go in for my next appointment, in a little over a week. Edited by lmaosuine

Posted · Report post  

lmaosuine,

I wish I had better news to report. I'm about ready to quit this trial. Yes, the anxiety has gone away, but frankly, it hasn't done much for my depression. My next pdoc appt is on the 30th of this month, and I was just going to continue taking it until then, but it's seeming a little pointless, to tell you the truth. I'm already 9.5 weeks into this trial. That's more than a good try.

Oh, and it's making my hair fall out too.

I really hope it works for you though. It works wonderfully for a lot of people.

Posted · Report post  

Coyote,

I think that's all I needed to hear. I'm almost at 3 weeks and I'm not impressed. I'm semi okay but irritable in the daytime, then when night comes around I feel terrible. I think wellbutrin just isn't the drug for me, and I don't want to spend 5 more weeks going through this s*** to confirm that it doesn't work well for me. Why would anything take 8 weeks to work anyways? That's a really long time. I might just end up going on celexa and risk the sexual side effect. Or maybe my pdoc will have something else in kind when I come in. I wish you luck coyote and i'd like to know what you do if you stop the wellbutrin.