Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Celexa And Fatigue/sleep Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SimplyMe

SimplyMe

Just Registered

ID: 24522

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

About a week a ago I started Celexa, 20mg once a day. The doctor suggest that I start taking it in the morning, and if it makes me tired then to take it at night. I gave myself 4 days of starting on it in the morning and about two hours afterwards, I feel so tired, and can't shake the feeling. When I'm not working, I nap, I can barely keep my eyes open.

Two nights I've taken it about 2 hours before I go to bed, and I tend to sleep good for 2 hours, then wake up with racing thoughts and can't get back to sleep for between 1-3 hours. Then sleep a couple hours more and get up.

I've never really had problems sleeping before, and this is really bothering me. Is this normal? Do you experience this on Celexa?

I know that I just started it and need to give it a chance to work, but this is driving me up the wall. I have an appointment with my doctor on the 30th of the month and will mention it to him then as well. Though if it keeps up, I might have to call him before that.

Thanks...

#2 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

ID: 20486

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

Hi SimplyMe --

Welcome to DF :hearts:

Sorry you're feeling so frustrated right now. What you are experiencing is quite normal. It generally takes about 2 weeks to work through most of the side effects and up to 8 weeks to feel the therapeutic benefit of just about any AD (anti-depressant). Sleep disruption and drowsiness/fatigue are very standard side effects at the offset. If you're generally a good sleeper, your sleeping patterns should resume as time goes on. Try to hang in there. I know it's frustrating. I've been there too... But sticking it out should be worth the wait.

Best to you,
HopefulOne

Edited by HopefulOne, 18 April 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#3 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• 12,824 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

:hearts: to DF, SimplyMe!

I had the same side effects when I started Celexa, but they faded away within a few weeks. It seems paradoxical that the drug would make you sleepy during the day, yet give you insomnia at night! :hearts: I know it's really irritating, but as Hopey said, the first 2 weeks are the worst, then the side effects will start to fade as the therapeutic effects build. You should be fully adjusted in 6-8 weeks.

My preference was to take Celexa in the morning, and then drink lots of coffee! Sleep is VERY important to me, and when I tried taking Celexa at night, I got insomnia, night sweats, and a horrible restless feeling, where just the pressure of the bed against my body would drive me nuts! :flowers: But despite the inconvenience of startup side effects, Celexa really is an effective treatment for both depression and anxiety. I hope your adjustment phase is over soon. :hearts:

Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#4 DarkTower

DarkTower

ID: 24452

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

Know what you mean on the tired feeling. I've been taking the 20mg at night for about 3 weeks now, but I've noticed I'm feeling less and less fatigued every day. At about the week 2 mark, I could barely pull myself out of bed. Now i may feel a little drowsy, but a cup of joe usually does the trick. I'm starting to feel the therapeutic effects more and more and it feels great, like back to my old self. My doc gave me 100mg wellbutrin to take in the mornings to combat some drowsiness and the sexual side effects, so there's a thought for you if those SE's are that bothersome. Apparently it's pretty common to piggyback those two meds together. Let us know how you're doing and stick with it!

#5 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• 12,824 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

My doc gave me 100mg wellbutrin to take in the mornings to combat some drowsiness and the sexual side effects, so there's a thought for you if those SE's are that bothersome. Apparently it's pretty common to piggyback those two meds together.

Yes, I forgot to mention I also take Wellbutrin, which is more activating. But even though I was on WB first, when I started Celexa I still got the fatigue and insomnia.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#6 SimplyMe

SimplyMe

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I was hoping that it would lessen with time, and I'm just going to stick it out and hope that is the case. It helps knowing that I'm not alone in this and the symptoms. Thank you all so much. :)

#7 aster

aster

Just Registered

ID: 24595

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

I've been on 20mg Celexa for 8 or 9 months and still have some issues with fatigue.

I've always had a hard time sleeping (usually waking very early and not being able to get back to sleep) and if I don't get a *really* solid night of it, I'm quite drowsy the next day. Much more so than before the meds. Hard to tell exactly how much difference of course, but it is very noticeable - give me a sofa or a cozy chair and I am out like a light, after a night of sleep that would have been fine pre-Celexa. I eat healthy and get plenty of exercise, but neither seems to help.

It's the side effect that I still notice every day and is my main complaint about a drug that's otherwise worked decent for me, depression-wise.

#8 kgarrison

kgarrison

Just Registered

ID: 24798

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:47 AM

About a week a ago I started Celexa, 20mg once a day. The doctor suggest that I start taking it in the morning, and if it makes me tired then to take it at night. I gave myself 4 days of starting on it in the morning and about two hours afterwards, I feel so tired, and can't shake the feeling. When I'm not working, I nap, I can barely keep my eyes open.

Two nights I've taken it about 2 hours before I go to bed, and I tend to sleep good for 2 hours, then wake up with racing thoughts and can't get back to sleep for between 1-3 hours. Then sleep a couple hours more and get up.

I've never really had problems sleeping before, and this is really bothering me. Is this normal? Do you experience this on Celexa?

I know that I just started it and need to give it a chance to work, but this is driving me up the wall. I have an appointment with my doctor on the 30th of the month and will mention it to him then as well. Though if it keeps up, I might have to call him before that.

Thanks...

I am going through the same thing right now. I tried it in the morning, I tried it in the evening and each time I still had horrendous sleeping. I am now experiencing insomnia followed by somnolence and feel like I can't get it together. Have you been on other anti depressants and had other side effects? I was on prozac and loved it. I know that we all have to try different meds until we find the right one, but in the mean time it is hell. Hang in there and remember you aren't out there alone.

Kristin

#9 SimplyMe

SimplyMe

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:02 AM

I am going through the same thing right now. I tried it in the morning, I tried it in the evening and each time I still had horrendous sleeping. I am now experiencing insomnia followed by somnolence and feel like I can't get it together. Have you been on other anti depressants and had other side effects? I was on prozac and loved it. I know that we all have to try different meds until we find the right one, but in the mean time it is hell. Hang in there and remember you aren't out there alone.

Kristin

Kristin, I was on Zoloft before about 7 years ago and don't remember having side effects, other than sexual ones. But then again I also didn't feel that it worked well for me and went off of it on my own.

It has been almost a month now and I don't feel tired anymore after I take it. I went back to taking it in the morning, close to the same time each day and the tired/fatigue issues went away. I also feel much more "leveled" on Celexa and much happier. My husband has noticed a huge difference in me. He was cute and said that all of the sleeping was just sleeping the crabbiness away. :)

Thanks again for all the comments and I hope everyone else will be able to shake the fatigue/sleep issues as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users