Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Did Increasing Lexapro From 10 Mg To 20 Mg Help Reduce Your Anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy85

Izzy85

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

Well I'm still taking lexapro 10 mg, it hasn't been quite 8 weeks yet but almost. I know I'm pregnant so my hormones are all wacko so I intend to wait until the baby is born to increase my dosage to 20 mg. The anxiety and racing thoughts have decreased relatively but I'm still experiencing a jittery or shaky feeling all over my body, especially in my arms and legs. And I still have racing thoughts. But it is much better. So my question is: For those who increased their dosage from 10 mg to 20 mg, did you see a good improvement or it pretty much stayed the same? What are your experiences on lexapro 20 mg and what exactly are you taking it for? Anything positive would be greatly appreciated as I am scared to death to go up to 20 mg and not see any improvement! I know I'm paranoid!

Edited by Izzy85, 17 April 2008 - 03:19 PM.

#2 Izzy85

Izzy85

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

Seriously guys, I know some people here are taking 20 mg!!!

HELP!

#3 Izzy85

Izzy85

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

Alright guys...I guess nobody can answer my question...But thanks for the reply anyways... :hearts:

#4 rdc4444

rdc4444

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:32 PM

Well I'm still taking lexapro 10 mg, it hasn't been quite 8 weeks yet but almost. I know I'm pregnant so my hormones are all wacko so I intend to wait until the baby is born to increase my dosage to 20 mg. The anxiety and racing thoughts have decreased relatively but I'm still experiencing a jittery or shaky feeling all over my body, especially in my arms and legs. And I still have racing thoughts. But it is much better. So my question is: For those who increased their dosage from 10 mg to 20 mg, did you see a good improvement or it pretty much stayed the same? What are your experiences on lexapro 20 mg and what exactly are you taking it for? Anything positive would be greatly appreciated as I am scared to death to go up to 20 mg and not see any improvement! I know I'm paranoid!

It worked for me. I took 10 mg for 4 weeks and felt like I was taking a sugar pill. I upped it to 20 and noticed an improvement in about a week. I am now starting my 7th week at 20 mg and i feel like the medicine has finally kicked in. I was also scared to up my dose to 20 but was suprised that the side effects I was having (sexual and insomnia) did not get worse. I did notice that I picked up a few new side effects like sweating occasionally at night and a slight headache every now and then however these side effects appear to be diminishing as time goes by.

#5 Izzy85

Izzy85

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

It worked for me. I took 10 mg for 4 weeks and felt like I was taking a sugar pill. I upped it to 20 and noticed an improvement in about a week. I am now starting my 7th week at 20 mg and i feel like the medicine has finally kicked in. I was also scared to up my dose to 20 but was suprised that the side effects I was having (sexual and insomnia) did not get worse. I did notice that I picked up a few new side effects like sweating occasionally at night and a slight headache every now and then however these side effects appear to be diminishing as time goes by.

Thank you so much for you reply, it means the world to me! I have now been on Lexapro 10 mg for 8 weeks and I'm slowly starting to feel better. Finally! I was really getting desperate...But after the baby is born I will definitely see how I'm doing and depending on that I will increase the lexapro, or not. Any positive experiences on lexapro 20 mg would be greatly appreciated!

#6 girlypants

girlypants

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

Hi I went up from 10mg to 20mg about 5 weeks ago. The first couple of weeks after upping the dose I felt worse, very anxious, jittery, racing thoughts etc but then they kicked in and I am feeling much better now. I am doing a lot better on 20mg than I was on the 10mg.

Take care and good luck with your pregnancy.

GP
girlypants

#7 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:43 AM

Hi Izzy --

Glad to hear you've been having positive results with Lex! I'm currently taking Lex for GAD and depression. When I started Lex last fall, I took 10 mg. of Lex for about 12 weeks and then increased to 20 mg. While on 10 mg., I had the same jitters that you speak of. After about one week of being on 20 mg., my jitters subsided completely. I, too, was very gun shy of increasing because my initial build up was frightening and rugged. But as I increased to 20 mg. (with a week at 15 mg in the middle), I was able to increase without experiencing another round of side effects -- I wish the same smooth transition for you!

Best,
HopefulOne

#8 Be Happy

Be Happy

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

Hello

I have been on Lexapro 10mg for 2 months and today have decided to increase my dosage to 15mg and then to 20mg in about 1 week... after reading your experiences, can I ask did your libido decreased more?

Edited by Be Happy, 10 November 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#9 happy days 08

happy days 08

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

Speaking from a males point of view, Lex has been weird. I have been on Prozac and Zoloft, and both of them completely killed my sex drive. I am on 30 mg of Lex/day, and I still have a huge sex drive. However, reaching the big "O" is almost freakin impossible. I have gone over an hour and a half and tried everything, but no success. It could be dose related since I am on a higher dosage, but who knows? I hope that it works for you.
Hard as it may be sometimes, have faith! Happy Days 08

#10 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

Hello

I have been on Lexapro 10mg for 2 months and today have decided to increase my dosage to 15mg and then to 20mg in about 1 week... after reading your experiences, can I ask did your libido decreased more?

Just found your post and was wondering, did you increase your dosage to 15mg and then 20mg and how has it worked out for you. I'm on 10mg and I either have to increase dosage or taper off and find something else.

Karen

#11 lcny2001

lcny2001

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:15 PM

hi girlypants,
i know you posted this about a year ago, but it's so similar to what I'm going through right now. If you still check this site, i would love your response. I just upped my dosage from 10 mg to 20 mg 16 days ago and I'm jittery/agitated/teary/depressed. It sounds like you went through the same. How many weeks did it take for you to get past this? Are you still on the lex 20mg and has it continued to help? Hope you are well...

#12 gblondie12

gblondie12

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

hi girlypants,
i know you posted this about a year ago, but it's so similar to what I'm going through right now. If you still check this site, i would love your response. I just upped my dosage from 10 mg to 20 mg 16 days ago and I'm jittery/agitated/teary/depressed. It sounds like you went through the same. How many weeks did it take for you to get past this? Are you still on the lex 20mg and has it continued to help? Hope you are well...

I am trying to increase my Lexapro dosage to 15 mgs. from 10 mgs.......every time I try to increase to 12.5mgs, I get a tired, dizzy feeling that is usually cured my taking .5 mgs. of xanax........is this normal?????? How long does it take for your body to adjust to the new dose?????? Anyone with some input, it would be GREAT!!! I am going through a personal hell.....took a Sanesco test and showed low serotonin level.......at 10 mgs, I just feel anxious, sobby, heart races when I have to be in a social situation....so I know increasing the Lexapro is going to help, it's just getting to the higher dosage that is ******* me!!!!!!!! How long is the adjustment side effects going to last????? Anything to help the side effects????

#13 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:07 PM

I'm on citalopram and changed from 20mg to 40mg in one go which is quite a big jump.

The extra side-effects should settle down in a week or so. xx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#14 kkuylen

kkuylen

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

hi girlypants,

Hi Icny2001,

Just wondering if you got any better on the 20mg. I went up about a week ago and am not feeling better yet and its been over two months. I just dont know if I should keep waiting or not. I dont want to have to try anything else because its so hard to do it while youre still sick. Thanks alot, Maria

#15 raox

raox

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

hi girlypants,

hey im going through the same thing you and izzy85 are going through as well...almost to a T..thinking about thoughts and stuff like that im in a real bad spot right now. could anyone give me some advice and let me know if they overcame this..iv bee like this for months now...iv been onlexapro 10mg for 3 weeks and its not doing anything..im really depressed and the only reason im still alive this moment is my little brother..please i need some help :( im hanging in by a thread..

#16 kkuylen

kkuylen

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

hi girlypants,

hey im going through the same thing you and izzy85 are going through as well...almost to a T..thinking about thoughts and stuff like that im in a real bad spot right now. could anyone give me some advice and let me know if they overcame this..iv bee like this for months now...iv been onlexapro 10mg for 3 weeks and its not doing anything..im really depressed and the only reason im still alive this moment is my little brother..please i need some help :( im hanging in by a thread..

Im sorry to hear youre going through that. Just try to hang in there. You will NOT be like this forever-something will help. I feel alot better on 20 than I did on 10mg, so you may need an increase, but talk to your doctor. I still have some bouts of anxiety, but it is much better, so I have to see if giving it more time will be better (its been 4 weeks at 20mg), or talk to my dr about an increase. Good luck and talk to people on this site-everyone is in the same boat and very helpful. Maria

#17 gucci son

gucci son

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

hi girlypants,

Im sorry to hear youre going through that. Just try to hang in there. You will NOT be like this forever-something will help. I feel alot better on 20 than I did on 10mg, so you may need an increase, but talk to your doctor. I still have some bouts of anxiety, but it is much better, so I have to see if giving it more time will be better (its been 4 weeks at 20mg), or talk to my dr about an increase. Good luck and talk to people on this site-everyone is in the same boat and very helpful. Maria

i know this is old but i just recently upped my dose from 10mg to 20mg of lex...after like 1 1/2 week i felt alot better for a week...then i got depressed and had anxienty again...so i been up on the does for about 3 weeks now...is it gonna kick in....i been on lexapro for almost 2 years (10mg)....iam starting to lose hope and it makes me feel sad about my life....can anybody else share thier stroy of upping thier does of lex 10 to 20mg. I need some support!!! thanx so much
Life and depression is like a game of Chess......

#18 gucci son

gucci son

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

hi girlypants,

i know this is old but i just recently upped my dose from 10mg to 20mg of lex...after like 1 1/2 week i felt alot better for a week...then i got depressed and had anxienty again...so i been up on the does for about 3 weeks now...is it gonna kick in....i been on lexapro for almost 2 years (10mg)....iam starting to lose hope and it makes me feel sad about my life....can anybody else share thier stroy of upping thier does of lex 10 to 20mg. I need some support!!! thanx so much

bump...anybody?

#19 raox

raox

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:50 AM

hi girlypants,

bump...anybody?

yep. i bumped from 10mg to 20mg and got my life back. huge difference. all the best! im alot better on the MDD and GAD side, pure o ocd isnt 100% under control but its manageable.

#20 gucci son

gucci son

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

hi girlypants,

how long did it take to see a difference....after jumping to 20mg? It awesome that u felt better right after jumping.

bump...anybody?

yep. i bumped from 10mg to 20mg and got my life back. huge difference. all the best! im alot better on the MDD and GAD side, pure o ocd isnt 100% under control but its manageable.

#21 JKChicago

JKChicago

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

hi girlypants,

how long did it take to see a difference....after jumping to 20mg? It awesome that u felt better right after jumping.

bump...anybody?

I just upped from 10 to 20 yesterday after having experience an anxiety attack at work so I'll let you know in a week or 2 whether there is any improvement. I've been on Lexapro for more than a year after having been on Paxil for a number of years and experiencing a major weight gain. So far, not really any significant weight gain on Lexapro BTW.

#22 journeymann

journeymann

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:24 AM

Wednesday April 16 2014 

Day 4 on 20 ml Lexapro   (57 days / 8 weeks on 10 ml)

My name is Mark and I am 37 years old from Brisbane Australia.

I have been on the initial 10 ml of lexapro for about 8 weeks. It has not seemed to have any noticeable effect on reducing my anxiety and depression. The crazy insomnia and related side affects did lessen around the 5 week mark, and my sleep returning to more normal. I did notice some very small improvements perhaps in overall mood around week 5 and 6. (but very minor and not lasting.)

Since upping the dosage of my medication these past few days, I have been MORE tired, and more unstable, and the Anxiety much stronger.

Today I slept for most the afternoon from 1 pm till 5:30 pm.
I have been more depressed again in recent days.

Moderate Nausea / Low Appetite / Higher Anxiety and Increased Depression / Higher fatigue.

* I have arranged to return to work starting Wednesday NEXT WEEK. (reduced hours) I hope I was not premature with that decision. I am really hoping the increased dosage will bring the balance back to my mind and emotions.

Edited by journeymann, Yesterday, 03:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users