Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Remeron Withdrawal Hell

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tsva

tsva

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:38 AM

Hi there. I was surprised at the lack of posts about Remeron withdrawal. I know it's supposed to be one of the easiest ADs to come off so perhaps that's why, but as we all know, everyone's different, so here's a brief outline of my experience with it:

Was prescribed it for Glandular Fever. :flowers: Not depressed at the time but the Dr said it might help. It didn't, but I'd always been a poor sleeper, and suddenly I was falling asleep almost as soon as I took the pill and sleeping straight through the night. So I carried on taking it.

I'd always been slightly overweight but nothing major at all. I took Remeron for 4 years and HAVE BEEN TRYING TO COME OFF IT FOR THE PAST THREE!!! In those 4 years I went from mildly overweight to clinically obese to the point where I developed fatty liver disease and the Gastro told me I was so dangerously obese that I was a candidate for gastric bypass surgery on the NHS :hearts: (I'm in the UK).

I know weight-gain has been a huge (excuse the pun) problem for most of us on this med, but has anyone had weight gain this bad? And more importantly, has anyone had really bad trouble getting off this med?? Unlike some people, I found the higher dose made me more drowsy and not the other way round and I tapered so, so, so slowly. But even on 3mg (therapeutic dose being 30mg) the carb cravings are still as strong as ever, as is the daytime drowsiness - and I just can't get it off completely. Although on this incredibly low dose I find I sleep around 9 hours instead of 14 (!) as soon as I stop it completely I either don't sleep all night, or I get 2 hours max. The scary thing is that I'm not on any other med (so no stimulant side-effects), don't go near caffeine, and I'm wondering if this is actually withdrawal because it has gone on so long and has not improved one bit. I've been off Remeron for 2 months now and the insomnia is as bad as the first day I stopped! Could Remeron have done something to my brain? Is this going to be permanent? Has anyone experienced anything similar with this med?

Please help. With virtually no sleep for 2 months I feel like I'm going crazy and I've helpfully :hearts: been told by my Pdoc that I have to choose between my physical health (developing cirrhosis of the liver which is where I'm heading with my liver disease, not to mention the other 101 medical problems brought about by severe obesity) and my mental health!!! :hearts:

Tsva

#2 geepondy

geepondy

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

Tsva, I was hoping a more knowledgeable person might respond to your post but I don't see that you mentioned trying any other sleep aids such as something as simple as over the counter Benadryl to a prescribed med such as Ambien. Have you done so?

Hi there. I was surprised at the lack of posts about Remeron withdrawal. I know it's supposed to be one of the easiest ADs to come off so perhaps that's why, but as we all know, everyone's different, so here's a brief outline of my experience with it:

Was prescribed it for Glandular Fever. :flowers: Not depressed at the time but the Dr said it might help. It didn't, but I'd always been a poor sleeper, and suddenly I was falling asleep almost as soon as I took the pill and sleeping straight through the night. So I carried on taking it.

I'd always been slightly overweight but nothing major at all. I took Remeron for 4 years and HAVE BEEN TRYING TO COME OFF IT FOR THE PAST THREE!!! In those 4 years I went from mildly overweight to clinically obese to the point where I developed fatty liver disease and the Gastro told me I was so dangerously obese that I was a candidate for gastric bypass surgery on the NHS :hearts: (I'm in the UK).

I know weight-gain has been a huge (excuse the pun) problem for most of us on this med, but has anyone had weight gain this bad? And more importantly, has anyone had really bad trouble getting off this med?? Unlike some people, I found the higher dose made me more drowsy and not the other way round and I tapered so, so, so slowly. But even on 3mg (therapeutic dose being 30mg) the carb cravings are still as strong as ever, as is the daytime drowsiness - and I just can't get it off completely. Although on this incredibly low dose I find I sleep around 9 hours instead of 14 (!) as soon as I stop it completely I either don't sleep all night, or I get 2 hours max. The scary thing is that I'm not on any other med (so no stimulant side-effects), don't go near caffeine, and I'm wondering if this is actually withdrawal because it has gone on so long and has not improved one bit. I've been off Remeron for 2 months now and the insomnia is as bad as the first day I stopped! Could Remeron have done something to my brain? Is this going to be permanent? Has anyone experienced anything similar with this med?

Please help. With virtually no sleep for 2 months I feel like I'm going crazy and I've helpfully :hearts: been told by my Pdoc that I have to choose between my physical health (developing cirrhosis of the liver which is where I'm heading with my liver disease, not to mention the other 101 medical problems brought about by severe obesity) and my mental health!!! :hearts:

Tsva

#3 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

Hi TSVA,

It is the anti-histaminic effect that causes the sedation and the carbohydrate (more specifically sugar) cravings. And in most people, either at 30 mg. but even more likely at 45 mg. does the nor-epinepherine effect start to counter act these SE's. Especially the sedating effect. And in actuality, mirtazapine does not cause weight gain, what you eat does. But I know all too well how hard it is to ignore those cravings. Fortunately for me, at 45 mg. and subsequently at 60 mg. these craving were diminished enough to start losing weight with a bit of impulse control and some increase in my normal exercise routine. And after a short time I started to shed pounds as easily as they went on.

As far as your current insomnia is concerned, nothing will keep you awake more than your thinking about it. One gets so obsessed with the difficulty they have falling asleep, that it becomes almost impossible to do so. What I found myself doing in the past is to read or do some activity that keeps you mind off sleeping. Usually, most people will then get so sleepy they will fall asleep in situ. But when you find yourself so drowsy you can hardly keep your eyes open, go immediately to bed and think of something soothing. If you immediately start wondering if you will finally get to sleep, you probably won't.

As you stated, mirtazapine is rarely associated with severe discontinuance syndrome. But certainly, that doesn't mean that no one has ever had a hard time discontinuing them. So keep us posted, the members here on DF and care although they may not post. But they might very well be watching and if you stimulate a thought from then, they will respond.

Peace and Love.... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#4 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hi TSVA,

It is the anti-histaminic effect that causes the sedation and the carbohydrate (more specifically sugar) cravings. And in most people, either at 30 mg. but even more likely at 45 mg. does the nor-epinepherine effect start to counter act these SE's. Especially the sedating effect. And in actuality, mirtazapine does not cause weight gain, what you eat does. But I know all too well how hard it is to ignore those cravings. Fortunately for me, at 45 mg. and subsequently at 60 mg. these craving were diminished enough to start losing weight with a bit of impulse control and some increase in my normal exercise routine. And after a short time I started to shed pounds as easily as they went on.

As far as your current insomnia is concerned, nothing will keep you awake more than your thinking about it. One gets so obsessed with the difficulty they have falling asleep, that it becomes almost impossible to do so. What I found myself doing in the past is to read or do some activity that keeps you mind off sleeping. Usually, most people will then get so sleepy they will fall asleep in situ. But when you find yourself so drowsy you can hardly keep your eyes open, go immediately to bed and think of something soothing. If you immediately start wondering if you will finally get to sleep, you probably won't.

As you stated, mirtazapine is rarely associated with severe discontinuance syndrome. But certainly, that doesn't mean that no one has ever had a hard time discontinuing them. So keep us posted, the members here on DF and care although they may not post. But they might very well be watching and if you stimulate a thought from then, they will respond.

Peace and Love.... wayne

Wayne,

I always wondered whether it was the Remeron that made me put on weight or just the extra food that Remeron made me eat !!!!!!

Like the OP, I also put on a fair bit of weight.....

Like you though, I found that the sedation thing did lessen at a higher dose.

Also, unlike the unfortunate OP, I had no problems like hes having withdrawing from it.
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#5 glimon

glimon

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

"Hell" is the right word for it. I have been on 30 mg Remeron for the past ten years, I took it initially to help with sleep and pain (I have myofascial pain, a cousin of fibromyalgia). My withdrawal symptoms have been worse, I suffer "disconnections", seizure-like but not really seizures ( I had EEGs and were normal), my head feels light and confuse, then I drop for a few seconds. Insomia is terrible, I don't even get the two hours. Every time I try to get off it, it is worse, as if my body is telling me "hey, that is already part of my brain chemistry, don't remove it!". Is there a way out?

#6 roy100

roy100

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

I am 2 years off, from this terrible drug.
It causes rage, obesity, resstless leg syndrome, CFS.

Its not easy to gett off it.

There are special forums to get over this terrible drugs that cause more harm than good and is prescribed for problems that can be solved in another way.

They are prescribed for Insomnia, for Pre menustration pain, and so on, causing life long problems.

Please go to the web pages for withdrawal.
They are not allowed to be mention here.

Good luck !

#7 Rahul

Rahul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:45 AM

I am 2 years off, from this terrible drug.
It causes rage, obesity, resstless leg syndrome, CFS.

Its not easy to gett off it.

There are special forums to get over this terrible drugs that cause more harm than good and is prescribed for problems that can be solved in another way.

They are prescribed for Insomnia, for Pre menustration pain, and so on, causing life long problems.

Please go to the web pages for withdrawal.
They are not allowed to be mention here.

Good luck !

That's nice Roy that you are off drugs. Can you describe briefly how you are doing without drugs? How did you manage to come off them and do you have relapses?
I'm not a doctor or a health professional and any advice in my post is purely my personal opinion and anecdotal.

Dx: MDD
Rx: 10 mg escitalopram + 15mg mitrazapine + 20 mg chlordiazepoxide (all
at bedtime)

#8 Davevanza

Davevanza

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:52 AM

I am on Mirtazapine 45 mg thrice/day. The reason is for tension headache and insomnia.

Honestly, after a while, Mirtazapine's hypnotic effect does not work for me anymore. That is why I am also on Seroquel ( anti psychotics ) before bed.

If anyone is having problem with the liver function, it is best, to my opinion, is to buy a bottle of Benadryl ( the red original bottle, that contains Diphenhydramine, an antihistamine).

You can take 10 mg of it, or maybe 20 mg of it, if it works for you, as opposed to buying Unisom sleep tablet which contains 50 mg of it. I think it's too strong.

Best if you discuss with your doctor. But I think, Diphenhydramine is the oldest and safest antihistamine, and that's where PROZAC is synthesized from.

#9 roy100

roy100

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

That's nice Roy that you are off drugs. Can you describe briefly how you are doing without drugs? How did you manage to come off them and do you have relapses?

It takes a lot of will to get over it.
In my case I did it cold turkey, because he ( the DR ) was changing my AD ( remeron ) , and I have had such bad experience with others ADS , that I told to myself, its better to be depress that to feel this bad.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do it very small dosages, it lowers the time of WD.

But with so little knowledge, and the mind in such distress, I had to do it that way. Again the answer is in the WD sites in internet, not in those that praises the AD, which needed to be sued.

Mos depressionn would go away in the course of 12 weeks if left untreated.

With the damage of AD it takes 2 Plus years to get over the unbalance left by the AD.
Good Luck

Edited by roy100, 03 October 2008 - 06:33 PM.

#10 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:09 AM

Mos depressionn would go away in the course of 12 weeks if left untreated.

I have to disagree. You may be talking about very mild cases. I went for years when I was younger with untreated bipolar depression and all that did was worsen it. I now wish I had just taken the treatment. Each depressive episode left untreated increases your chances of having another episode.

#11 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:17 AM

Tsva -
I feel for you, that is really awful. I really think you need to somehow get another opinion - I don't know how feasible that is on the NHS? How can your Pdoc say something as unhelpful as that to you?

Anti-psychotics are very sedating and may work for your insomnia, they're really strong, but unfortunately they're also notorious for weight gain. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) was like water off a duck's back to me, even at 100mg, and it doesn't sound as if an over-the-counter remedy is going to dent your severe insomnia. But you deserve a Pdoc who will work with you to solve this problem. Are you able to pay for a private consultation, with someone who has more knowledge of this specific problem?

Wish you all the best.

#12 Imkowalski

Imkowalski

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:10 AM

Hi tvsa,

I weaned myself off Avanza (which I'm assuming is the name of Remeron in Australia) 2 months ago too and am having similar problems with insomnia and was starting to question whether i would ever sleep normally again. I had really bad insomnia with my depression when I started on the AD and was really scared that i was getting ill again. Good to know I"m not alone in this. I've had alot of trouble finding info on the withdrawal side effects of this drug and this is the first forum I've found dealing withis issue. I have been taking a combination of different sleeping tablets both herbal and chemist - not at the same time though. I think the post about the anti-histamine component is a good point as I was thinking along similar lines.

i can't believe your doctor put you on this drug. As for me I think it saved my life as I was way ill and probably wouldn't be here today. that said I'm currently very well and I think I will persevere with the sleeplessness as i would rather be AD free and it scares me to think of the long term effects.

let me know how you're getting on

Imkowalski

Tsva

#13 lara14x

lara14x

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

i read all da posts & i agree & respect & recommend them all
but honestly
regarding remeron
in my case & condition
it haz been the best med. ever
plz im not talkin abt da withdrawal symptomz
remeron rescued me
i wuz in a vry bad place
i am now back 2 normal
yes da withdrawal symptomz r da worst
vry hard 2 get thru
but u gota keep ur mind off it n keep urself buzy
remeron wuz def. worth it, 4 me
i duno wut i wud hav done without it
it helped me alot n cured me frm unipolar disorder
it fixed,healed,changed,improved,& restored me
it lifted up my mood my dayz my life
i now smile, laugh, eat, sleep, talk
i socialize, work, enjoy evrythn n evry1 around me
i will mis it
i cnt thank my doctor enuf
ive nvr felt better
i wish evry1 in pain health
i wish evry1 da end of depression
& i wish evry1 wut i wish 4 myself & more
REMERON thank u
u successfully saved me
c=

#14 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hi lara14x and Welcome to DF,

Wow, it's really good to hear that you have had such a wonderful experience with Remeron. I'm glad it has worked well for you.

If we can't stand alone to help ourselves,
with support we shall stand together
to make the changes and a difference within our lives
and the lives of all for the better.

#15 lara14x

lara14x

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

here i am
a month n half away frm my previous post