Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Do You Feel Stupid When Depressed?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 VoiDoForm

VoiDoForm

Just Registered

ID: 24349

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

I have had a horrible and indescribable depression for the last 6 years of my life...Im only 18 years old. Due to this horrible depression i have become very introverted and lack a full arsenal of social skills. The strange part is when i was younger i was very happy and never reserved. However the point of this topic is not my general depression, but how i feel when i am depressed. When i am depressed i feel stupid and my thoughts seem to be sluggish. I often stare blankly "into space" as my family would describe it, sometimes thinking about the regretful life i have led, other times simply thinking of nothing at all. Even in the middle of a conversation i can get lost in these blank episodes. I didn't always feel this way, however. I used to be a fast talking, smart ***, with a passion for a good argument. Have i lost intelligence from a six year depression? Have i lost my ability to argue? I can barely carry a conversation these days. All this does is depresses me more. I am 18 years old. What in the world am i going to do. Anyone relate to me?

#2 last_resort

last_resort

Advanced Member

ID: 19918

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:39 AM

I have had a horrible and indescribable depression for the last 6 years of my life...Im only 18 years old. Due to this horrible depression i have become very introverted and lack a full arsenal of social skills. The strange part is when i was younger i was very happy and never reserved. However the point of this topic is not my general depression, but how i feel when i am depressed. When i am depressed i feel stupid and my thoughts seem to be sluggish. I often stare blankly "into space" as my family would describe it, sometimes thinking about the regretful life i have led, other times simply thinking of nothing at all. Even in the middle of a conversation i can get lost in these blank episodes. I didn't always feel this way, however. I used to be a fast talking, smart ***, with a passion for a good argument. Have i lost intelligence from a six year depression? Have i lost my ability to argue? I can barely carry a conversation these days. All this does is depresses me more. I am 18 years old. What in the world am i going to do. Anyone relate to me?

I can relate to that. I'm always depressed, but when I feel especially down it is as though my brain refuses to create anything even vaguely interesting to bring up in conversation. I don't like sitting there glumly so I try to contribute to the conversation and then end up feeling stupid for ever have had opened my mouth. Now I go to a good university which is difficult to get into, so I can't be stupid in that sense, but I still feel stupid a lot of the time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you certainly aren't alone. What you have to try and remember when you feel like this is that it is just the depression talking. I don't know you but you don't sound stupid at all. Social awkwardness is a common thing. Once you feel more comfortable with yourself and your environment things will get easier =]

Edited by last_resort, 12 April 2008 - 12:40 AM.

I don't remember how we happened to meet each other.
I don't remember who got along with whom first.
All I can remember is all of us together...always -Unknown

Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes. -Nietzsche

#3 gaijingirl

gaijingirl

ID: 8484

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:18 AM

I'm so sorry...I feel that way too. I'm only 24 and I feel like I have become much the same way. Your personality, before and after, sounds a lot like mine.

I have heard that serious depression does cause a kind of mild mental retardation, which I believe to be true, from my experience. Also, I used to be very social and now am not, and I think I have lost my social skills. I think social skills are just like any other kind of skills....if you don't use them, you loose them.
If you have been on medication, that may be causing it. I know that my Doctor has told me that she believes that my meds have/are causing memory loss and that she herself was on them and when she was taking Cymbalta she told one of her nurses that she felt like she was getting stupider....and the nurse who had also been on it said she had the same side effect.
I take Ambien now, which has saved my sleep, but my Dr. thinks it may be having an effect on my memory...but without it, I would NEVER sleep, so, I don't know which is the worse of the two evils. I still think being on the Meds is better than not! I'm not great now, but I would be so much worse without them!

Anyway, I'm not much older than you and I totally understand the feeling....I don't want to be social, because I am anxious and depressed, but recently I've been thinking maybe I should force myself to do more....get involved in things I used to enjoy...so that I could get some of those skills back. (I probably won't, because I'm too anxious and depressed, but I'm starting to think about it, so maybe sometime in the future....)

My fear is that I will look back on these years of my life and regret that I was so disabled my my illnesses that I will have missed out on something....I probably have already done that....

#4 gaijingirl

gaijingirl

ID: 8484

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:20 AM

I'm so sorry...I feel that way too. I'm only 24 and I feel like I have become much the same way. Your personality, before and after, sounds a lot like mine.

I have heard that serious depression does cause a kind of mild mental retardation, which I believe to be true, from my experience. Also, I used to be very social and now am not, and I think I have lost my social skills. I think social skills are just like any other kind of skills....if you don't use them, you loose them.
If you have been on medication, that may be causing it. I know that my Doctor has told me that she believes that my meds have/are causing memory loss and that she herself was on them and when she was taking Cymbalta she told one of her nurses that she felt like she was getting stupider....and the nurse who had also been on it said she had the same side effect.
I take Ambien now, which has saved my sleep, but my Dr. thinks it may be having an effect on my memory...but without it, I would NEVER sleep, so, I don't know which is the worse of the two evils. I still think being on the Meds is better than not! I'm not great now, but I would be so much worse without them!

Anyway, I'm not much older than you and I totally understand the feeling....I don't want to be social, because I am anxious and depressed, but recently I've been thinking maybe I should force myself to do more....get involved in things I used to enjoy...so that I could get some of those skills back. (I probably won't, because I'm too anxious and depressed, but I'm starting to think about it, so maybe sometime in the future....)

My fear is that I will look back on these years of my life and regret that I was so disabled my my illnesses that I will have missed out on something....I probably have already done that....

#5 Reborn

Reborn

ID: 23242

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:21 AM

I'm only a few years older than you, but I can definitely relate. When I was a kid, my life was perfectly normal. I did not really display any signs of a mood disorder.

In high school, a nasty depression overcame me, and I feel like it robbed me of part of my life. It definitely twisted my personality. At least it went away.

I can definitely identify with the mental confusion as well. Normally, I'm a very intelligent person, but the depression makes me do irrational things. I usually enjoy reading, but when I'm depressed I absolutely cannot read. I tend the read the same line over and over. Should I manage to finish a paragraph, I usually can't recall what I read. If I actually manage to struggle through a page, I'll typically fall asleep from exhaustion. (no joke)

It's really frustrating. i can usually do most of the things I did before, but I have to try much harder. Learning requires more repetition.

Bupropion helped clear up the confusion for me. It allowed me to read, and I felt a bit smarter. I suppose it was just the general stimulant effect rather than the antidepressant effect. If you're like me, the confusion will clear once your depression clears.
I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid! Why must people always equate the two?

#6 Retreat1975

Retreat1975

ID: 22173

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:26 AM

I remember when I was in university not too long ago, and I was depressed and lonely because I was away from home. Well, my depression completely interfered with my ability to retain vital information during classes. I did feel stupid. I felt like I had lost all capacity to learn, and I was a person who loved learning. I remember trying to speak to a fellow student one day, and my tongue just went numb. My words came out in a jumble, and I didn't know what the heck I was saying. It was a weird, disassociating moment, aside from an embarrassing one. It was horrible. I couldn't verbalize my thoughts very well because I was so depressed. The one thing that I regret is how depression altered my first impression upon my classmates. Nobody wanted me in their group because I believe they thought I was incapable of critically analyzing a project or issue that was part of our homework. And they were probably right to a certain degree. My depression made it difficult to retain knowledge and recall it. Indeed, it is no wonder that we can feel intellectually inferior when the chemical imbalance in our brains causes us to morph into a zombie-like existence. I can never forgive depression for what it robbed from me over the last four years of my life. My husband repeatedly consoles me about that whole ordeal, and I often need the validation and support from my spouse over and over again. I need to remind myself that I was NOT myself when I had depression. I 'am' a capable person, and intelligent. Depression robs us of that.

I just want to tell you that I can understand very well what you are going through. Remember that this is NOT who you really are. Depression will give us a new maladaptive personality. It kills a person's spirit.

#7 Daisho

Daisho

ID: 20133

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:15 AM

I've had the same experience.

Before depression, academics came very naturally to me, and I really didn't have to try hard in school, even my first year of engineering school. After depression hit, things didn't come naturally anymore. On top of that, I was frequently fatigued, distracted, anxious, and had difficulty concentrating.

I don't think it's permanent though, so you shouldn't worry about that. When depression isn't affecting me, I feel that I'm as smart or smarter than I ever was.

One other thing: Part of why you feel stupid is that depression makes you think less of yourself. We beat ourselves up about our faults much more than regular people.

#8 Jo Rotz

Jo Rotz

ID: 20120

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

Because I have a harder time concentrating when I am in a depressed state, I have less comprehension skills. The confusion and added feelings of inadequacy also correspond with the lack of comprehension.
That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet - Emily D.

#9 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

ID: 28313

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

I can totally relate. I have a PhD in philosophy and I feel like acquaintances expect smart things from me as a consequence. But when I'm depressed, I'm a *****.
We are all failures -- at least, all the best of us are. -- Sir James M. Barrie

#10 john1157

john1157

ID: 18991

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:01 AM

Severe depression does affect cognitive abilities, how can it not. When depression takes full control your mind is so turned inward and filled with nothing but negativity and how bad you feel that it's hard to focus on anything else.

#11 Used To Be Me

Used To Be Me

Advanced Member

ID: 28772

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

i have danced between depression and being a bouncey on the ball guy. I do agree with the meds, anti depressants taught my mind to supress memories, so i never faced them i just mentally blocked them, and they pop up to ruin my life a little later on, and also if i want i can just blank over a lot of stuff, and although at the moment i really need my bounce back and they have offered me anti-depressants, i would rather take the harder route of understanding the problem to move on, than forgetting it

My only other suggestion, which won't really solve the problem but seems a fact to myself is the human mind loves to chew on information, when your smart its chewing on the swirling experiences adn facts you pick up, when your depressed its doing the same thing even when my mind goes blank for some days it is merely from over-thinking. The brain can get exhausted, and that's why chilling, wife swap or whatever way we turn our brains off with tv, internet, or multiple ways. When i'm depressed like now, i cannot stop rethinking the situation that got me here. When i fall into depression with no real reason my mind is asking why am i feeing this way rather than thinking straight. Its like when i grow social phobia for temporary months, when throwing myself into the fire seems like it might result in failure, rejection or whatever, my mind is saying what should i say rather than just saying. the best mind is a relaxed mind, and in today's society it is hard to clear the debris internally and from external situations and expectation.

This may not be the case for yourself, but i hate being an ***** when i know i can be interesting, witty ad myself. Remember the most interesting of minds are interested minds. If we were all in control of our minds life would be simple, now to make this smple few paragraphs a reality, but changing perceptions is not the easiest thing.

All my hope for a quick return for myself and others

Chris
There is a man who plays a violin, & the strings are the nerves in his own arm

#12 MongoVoid

MongoVoid

ID: 28974

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'm almost 18 and I think i've always had a underlying depression murking about in my roots. With more and more failures, deaths in more ways than one and just..piles of crap I'm being dealt, I think I've gone into overload. I used to have a passion for a good debate, like you said, and be witty, sarcastic, make people laugh and was a respected writer not just amongst people my age but writers in general. I felt so proud of the products I put out, through my mind, my thought, my chaos and neurosis and proud of the fact that I helped others see things in different ways and think intellectually and deep.
Now...oi...now I feel buried in idiocy. My diction used to be equisite and now I can't stand to hear myself speak. Everything I say when i have to say something seems so mundane, trite, fake and so unlike myself. I feel sooooooo brain dead and dumb as all balls. People used to mistake me for someone so much older because of my words and mind, now I'm all that I hate. I feel like I'm living a lie and not thinking at all, just frolicking about. I feel soo eternally disgusted! with myself because of how my one sharp mind, the only good thing i had, has become a slug. I haven't written a song in over a year now whereas, I used to write between 3-5 songs a week. If i had a dry spell, my mind would come back the next week with a vengeance with a really really good couple of songs. It was the only time in my life I was ever proud of being me. Now I feel i'm not longer myself just an imposter in my vessel and the opposite of everything i was and truly am. Just a dumb, mindless, wannabeintellectual *****. To put a cherry on it all, I'm in college and making not so great grades for I'm not trying at all but when I do try because reality and some unseen force makes me, I get crap grades. The lack of motivation for anything and everything is not helping this either. So all in all, i feel like a incompetent worthless piece of dumb shiit.
so, in a word, yea, totally with ya.

#13 Used To Be Me

Used To Be Me

Advanced Member

ID: 28772

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:27 AM

Hey all, i see this is common as, i have questioned if i have a mind that can think, justify and question, here is my understanding

I was smart, not on general knowledge, but in getting people, what they were up to, and my arguing skills were good. It has been a long time since i was that person, and i have spent the last few months trying to see where the fork appeared in life, i am not sure it will be the return to myself, but if i understand something i find it far easier to accept.

My main conclusion from having this mushy void i call a brain, is that i am aware i have a brain. When i was smart, i was present in any situation, and my mind had the freedom to leap where it needed to, making my referencing humour, all manner of things keep on form. I am aware now that while i speak, my paranoia of not having spoken properly plays a large part, i am aware that i am wondering what i should be saying, and trying to make links, rather than having a calm mind that did it automatically. I would love to say meditation or brething exercises are the answer, but they are not. I have over thought things for too long. I lived in a place for 3 years where being myself, a bouncey story telling weirdo was held against me, and as i struggled to be myself and it was not recepted well, i fell into wondering about myself, or trying to adapt to others one dimensional vein thinking, and being someone who cares i seemed to have lost myself entirely. I now have so many thoughts, mostly to do with myself, the future, the past, i can barely grab at any of them, its like a swirly mess i cannot calm down. The longer it lasted, the more harder my abilities to socialise, or take on new information became, and slowly i became a zombie. I lost my bounce, i never wanted to dance or have explosive on the spot little actions, and unsurity filled me, until my self esteem was eaten by the world around me.

Another element is that i have seriously had trouble letting go of the past. A virus made my brain cook in my blood at high temperatures and anything before 3 years ago is very hazy, but all the tragedies still seem as clear as day, so when most people enjoy memories of snow, school, christmas i find it hard to join in. Most do not have a good memory of school, but even in the silly books i was forced to read i usually had comedy skills and fond memories of a good friend i had throughout it, we are no longer friends as he was too offended that if he recalled a memory the chances are i would have little to no idea what he was speaking of. I guess like most people i find it easier to remmeber the bad than the good, and if you have had a lot of bad they become a primary focus, and sooner or later if you make your brain so negative it looks for the bad in the future, other people, situations, and my own abilities. Loving yourself, as hard as that may be, it seems for many here was something that we did once, and in that simplicity comes a brain that is not dwelling on oneself. The brain loves to chew over information, i just swapped chewing on external information, to overthink on myself. This naturally also leads to brain fogging, where the brain can only take so much strain, and leads to a point where one idea has been so overthought it cannot function normally, and soon what you did, saw, read, thought, heard all become increasingly difficult to hold onto.

I do not know if this is the same for anyone else. i may be dumber, but i am still trying to analyse everything. There is also a fact that we release chemicals when we are frustrated or angry that lower the i.q. by up to 40%, how many of you have felt you argued poorly or said things you didn't mean during an argument? Truth is i was focused, i was clear, and my brain was free to sponge. now i beat myself up, question my abilities, and have horrific images i try to supress, which leads to mentally blocking to a certain degree. There are a million reasons it would seem, but when you no longer like yourself or the world and depression wins, it does seem that wall staring and living in your own mind can break the brain. I only hope there is a way out...

Chris
There is a man who plays a violin, & the strings are the nerves in his own arm

#14 joey

joey

ID: 28883

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:52 AM

Oh yes- I feel extremely stupid when I am depressed. I don't cope with ordinary tasks and can't get motivated. My mind slows right down but my negative feelings speed up until I feel like my mind is barely there. I know at those times I appear like the 'lights are on but no-one's home'.

#15 wewelsburg83

wewelsburg83

ID: 29485

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:37 AM

Oh yes- I feel extremely stupid when I am depressed. I don't cope with ordinary tasks and can't get motivated. My mind slows right down but my negative feelings speed up until I feel like my mind is barely there. I know at those times I appear like the 'lights are on but no-one's home'.

This is a quality thread by the way, most of what's been written applies to my personal experience as well. The only thing I disagree with is how we all look at ourselves as 'stupid' or 'feeling stupid', itself very different from actually believing you are stupid. The way we should look at it is in a metaphorical sense, we are all finely tuned cars but we can never exceed 40KM an hour because of the thick fig around us (basically we are all intelligent and creative but don't have access to that creativity and intelligence due to the brain fog that surrounds our brains).
I for one feel very much like I am dealing with a form of brain damage because of depression in terms of its' effects on my employment. I'm highly inattentive and always in a dreamy state of inattention that I can rarely snap out of. I'm expecting to get fired from my job in the coming months but despite this I know that I'm not stupid. Too many of us start questioning our genetic self worth when it comes to depression as though we were born stupid when in fact we are normal people running on the same track as others, it's just that we have hurdles in our lane. At least we have something to blame our moments of stupidity on.

Looking up depression related materials on the internet is surprising, very little literature deals with depression and it's intellectual effects. It ought to be more prominent I feel because with the amount of sufferers out there it's basically needed in order to help them become acustomed to the effects this horrible condition brings.

Good luck to you all in fighting this condition.

Edited by wewelsburg83, 09 October 2008 - 02:38 AM.

#16 LR1990

LR1990

ID: 29512

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

I am 18 too and feel very much like you do.

I feel stupid because at times I feel like everything I do is in slow motion. I blank out on convo's all the time, or sometimes I just have nothing to say.

#17 Guest_Virgo831_*

Guest_Virgo831_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:53 PM

I can totally relate. I've been depressed probably my whole 51 years and everything you've described is what I've felt and gone thru. That's part of the affects depression has on you but it doesn't take away from your IQ. Once your depression is under control your intelligence and your ability to argue will return. Right now, you're just being held down by your emotions and negative thoughts. Make gaining back what you feel you've lost your goal in conquering your depression. Easier said then done, I know. It's been an uphill battle for me my whole life but you're young and maybe your luck will be better then mine. Just think positive.

#18 elvenstrawberry

elvenstrawberry

ID: 30790

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:23 AM

I've had the same experience. Even when my depression subsides and I'm having a good day I just can never seem to get a handle on concepts. Things I have to memorize have been especially difficult. While my writing skills are the same they used to be, my translation and math skills have suffered, in my opinion. I can't even remember if I felt this way before I started my medication, but either way it does suck. It also doesn't help that I can't sleep at night and subsequently sleep through my morning class about once a week...

#19 jeff70

jeff70

ID: 22945

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:52 AM

I'm 38, and I'm just finishing my first semester after an 8-year interruption in my education. I definitely feel as though I'm firing on fewer cylinders. I'm dual-majoring in anthropology and philosophy, so any loss of mental acuity really stands out to me.

Many things have changed over the last 8 years: more depression meds, onset of anxiety disorders and the accompanying anti-anxiety meds, worsening of the chronic pain in my knees and long-term use of MS Contin (not fully controlling the pain), etc.

I'm sure part of it is jumping back into senior-level philosophy classes from a cold start. Next semester may more accurately affect how bad things are.

Maybe returning to playing chess would help...or maybe it would just be embarrassing. :-|
---
"One day I feel I'm on top of the world, and the next it's falling in on me."
- Neil Peart, "Far Cry"

#20 shax212

shax212

ID: 28645

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:49 AM

I can relate to this, some days when my depression is at ease everything seems to make sense, schoolwork, my life, my relationships. But when it takes over again I find reading very difficult to comprehend, I cant find anything clever to say in conversation with friends and family. Its a very strange thing, I like to put it this way... the world around me stays the same, but my perception of it changes. These episodes come without warning and can last for days, when I do feel this way and absolutely need to get schoolwork done I take Adderall, its an ADHD medication, in the amphetamine class, this medication has worked wonders for... It clears my head, my thoughts are focused and I actually want to get work done. It also temporary eases my symptoms of depression as well. I do however suggest not to take this medication frequently, as it is considered very addictive. I have also read some studies that Adderall has been used as an anti-depressant, I can definitely see why...

#21 quixotic

quixotic

ID: 29994

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:08 AM

Yes I do.. not just academic wise but in general.. I just have bad diction and can't articulate my thoughts and ideas very well. I think I sound stupid and feel so when I hear myself speak so I rather not speak a lot..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users