Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Always Bored

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hateandlove

hateandlove

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

I am always bored no matter what i do. I do a lot of stuff, and i am extremely active and social, but nothing takes this boring unsatisfying feeling away. Is there anything I can do about this, or will i just have to deal with this my whole life?

#2 john_

john_

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

Everyone has to cope with boredom soemtimes, but no I do't think you have to feel the way you do. It is natural for soemone who is bored to struggle against that boredom, so accepting your boredom is probably not the easiest way. My advice, for what it's worth (I feel a little guilty about giving advice often as my own life is sooften in disarry) is thta soemthign probably needs to change. You have active and social lifestyle, but maybe there are still soem changes you would liek to make? If not the problem may well be with your thought patterns and perhaps you should examine them to try to find out what makes you bored.

#3 bijou

bijou

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:06 PM

i don't know what you believe, but for me, it's what i call the "god void" where i'm not thirsty, not hungry, don't want a cigarette, don't want to sleep, don't want to go anywhere, but am still not content... it means for me i need to take care of myself spiritually- whatever that means to you... just what i think, hope it helps..
love
bijou

#4 Elhaym

Elhaym

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

hateandlove,
I understand what you mean. That "boredom" and constant feeling of dissatisfaction is one of the most common and frustrating symptoms of depression. I don't think this is something you "have to" deal with your whole life. It goes hand-in-hand with your depression & recovery. Keep looking for something that works for you (whether that's meds, talk therapy, both...).

In addition, maybe try some new things? It's great that you're active and social, but maybe these activities and relationships are not satisfying what you need right now in your life. I'm not saying you should ditch them altogether, but maybe make some subtle changes. I would also recommend keeping a journal, which will help you to reflect and find meaning in your everyday life.

Personally, my life is stuck in an awful rut. I try to keep my mind sharp by learning and reading as much as I can every day and reminding myself that my life doesn't have to resemble anyone else's to be fulfilling. Also, writing in my journal reminds me of the things in my life that I can be grateful for.

Take care! :hearts:

- Elly

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")

#5 HiddenIn

HiddenIn

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

I know what you mean. Whenever I'm feeling depressed, I have this feeling of being stuck. I'm usually sitting at the computer bored out my mind and wanting something more. But I don't actually feel like doing anything that comes to mind. This usually cycles me further into feeling hopeless and worthless, which is the worst time for me.

#6 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

With depression comes boredom or the lack of joy/pleasure in things. With proper MH treatment, you won't always feel like you do. I'm home 24/7 and have daily repetitive chores taking care of all my animals. I don't get bored as each animal has its distinct personality. Every lamb born (Dec. through May) comes as a surprise. Sometimes lambs have to be bottle fed when the ewe abandons them. I don't live close into town and am rather isolated from social activities. When I start to feel bored, I find something that challenges me mentally or psysically. You might try challenging yourself with something new.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#7 duggie

duggie

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

I volunteer 2 days a week at a local Senior Center. I walk two miles a day and pick up litter in my neighborhood. Volunteering and walking help keep me from getting bored.
Doug

#8 last_resort

last_resort

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:47 AM

I feel like this a lot of the time, unless I'm with a good friend or scrapbooking, which I have just recently taken up. It's the only thing that I've gotten excited about in a long while. I think boredom and dissatisfaction are the nature of the disease.

I don't remember how we happened to meet each other.
I don't remember who got along with whom first.
All I can remember is all of us together...always -Unknown

Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes. -Nietzsche

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users