Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Remeral

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Mouse

Miss Mouse

ID: 23695

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

I had my second visit with the psychiatrist and he prescribed Remeral (not sure of spelling). I have not picked up the script yet but was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this and why it was prescribed for them?

Thanks,

Suziee

#2 Arwen36

Arwen36

ID: 23916

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

I had my second visit with the psychiatrist and he prescribed Remeral (not sure of spelling). I have not picked up the script yet but was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this and why it was prescribed for them?

Thanks,

Suziee

Hi, Suziee,

Do you mean Remeron?

I have not taken it myself, but my grandaddy does. I have heard it is one of the more sedating medications. I think my grandaddy got on it mostly for sleep, but it did seem to help with his depression as well.

It is considered one of the "atypical" antidepressants if I am not mistaken. There may be a board just for it here, I am not sure. I am still new here too.

Welcome!
There is always hope.

#3 Miss Mouse

Miss Mouse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

Thanks,

Suziee

Hi, Suziee,

Do you mean Remeron?

I have not taken it myself, but my grandaddy does. I have heard it is one of the more sedating medications. I think my grandaddy got on it mostly for sleep, but it did seem to help with his depression as well.

It is considered one of the "atypical" antidepressants if I am not mistaken. There may be a board just for it here, I am not sure. I am still new here too.

Welcome!

Thank you, that's right Remeron....I'm still new to all this stuff... :hearts: I am hoping it will help with my anxiety. I have been on Paxil, Prozac and a few others but they ramped up the anxiety. These were given to me by GP's. I don't think that GP's understand the difference in medications. I think the PD I am seeing is wonderful and he understood that I needed something to quite my mind not ramp it up. I hope it works.

Welcome to you as well..

Suziee

#4 Vell

Vell

ID: 12479

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:00 PM

Thanks,

Suziee

Hi, Suziee,

Do you mean Remeron?

Welcome!

Thank you, that's right Remeron....I'm still new to all this stuff... :hearts: I am hoping it will help with my anxiety. I have been on Paxil, Prozac and a few others but they ramped up the anxiety. These were given to me by GP's. I don't think that GP's understand the difference in medications. I think the PD I am seeing is wonderful and he understood that I needed something to quite my mind not ramp it up. I hope it works.

Welcome to you as well..

Suziee

I took it for like 2 months. It was great for sleep. And even though anxiety wasn't a primary problem for me, it almost cured any anxiety I did have. Although it could be a result of getting less chaotic sleep. This stuff will give you the munchies like nothing else however. Im talking a craving for the most unhealthy food you can find. Putting on weight is a big possibility. Although I needed the weight so it wasnt that big of a problem for me.

#5 Miss Mouse

Miss Mouse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

I do need to put on some weight so that is probably a good thing. I have lost quite a bit these past few months. When I'm depressed I have no appetite. Just don't want to put on too much.

#6 Moonlight_Magic

Moonlight_Magic

Silver Member

ID: 6655

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:18 AM

I have been on remeron (mirtazapine 30mg) for nealy 7 years now. I was prescribed it because i was having problems with nightmares, insomnia, panic disorder and depression and i asked for something that would help me sleep, as i know that not getting enough quality sleep is a huge trigger for me. They gave me mirtazapine and ive been on it ever since.

As for the munchies, well i cant say as ive noticed any change in my appetite, but ive always liked my food anyway, so my appetite is already huge to begin with. Therefore i doubt the remeron make much difference to that. My natural appetite is far bigger than any appetite increase my meds may cause, even when im depressed i dont go off my food because i enjoy eating. However a lot of people say it does increase your appetite if you appetite is poor but if you are not worried about gaining weight that shouldnt be a problem.

But just incase it should ever become a problem, whilst i have gained on the remeron (ive also gained weight off of the remeron so its not unusual for me) i have also been able to lose it by eating a healthy diet and making sure i exercise. So any unwanted weight gain as a result of the remeron can be controlled.

Its a fairly good antidepressant, its one of the few antidepressants ive taken that hasnt given me any side effects whatsoever other than some daytime drowsiness when i first started taking it. Thats worn of now though, ive been on them a longggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg time. I have trouble tolerating other antidepressants and the last time i tried a new one it made me horribly ill because i had an allergic reaction it. With remeron ive never yet had that problem so they are one antidepressant i dont mind staying on.

Edited by Moonlight_Magic, 03 April 2008 - 04:24 AM.

"Oneday your prince will find you, mine just got lost on the way and was too stubborn to ask for directions!" (annoymous)

All quotes below by me and whomever happened to come up with them before i did (lol):

"Beneath the pessimism that is depression im an eternal optimist, so please don't be fooled by my seeming negativity!" *ahem*

"Finding acceptance from the world around us, begins with finding acceptance of the self".

"You dont have to achieve great things to be a great person!"

"On the road of life im a sunday driver. Im taking the scenic route at a speed im comfortable with. So if you want to overtake me, please feel free, but dont keep beeping your horn at me, its irritating. Thankyou"

#7 Miss Mouse

Miss Mouse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

I felt almost normal yesterday after just one dose of the remeral. I was a little sleepy but I can deal better with that than the anxiety I have been feeling. Today I still feel pretty good and not as sleepy.. I think I may have found my drug of choice..

I hope I didn't just jinx myself. :hearts:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users