Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Generic Wellbutrin Does Not Work!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Calliope

Calliope

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

For those out there not having luck with Wellbutrin, I just want you to know that the name brand is the only way to go. Several dr's are seeing a "crash" with patients who go to the generic brand. Since it is not regulated, the medicine can be as low as 20% strengh as the name brand. Please discuss this with your dr. I had a major crash after going from 150 mg name brand to 300 mg generic.
Hope this helps someone!!

#2 Oddball

Oddball

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

For those out there not having luck with Wellbutrin, I just want you to know that the name brand is the only way to go. Several dr's are seeing a "crash" with patients who go to the generic brand. Since it is not regulated, the medicine can be as low as 20% strengh as the name brand. Please discuss this with your dr. I had a major crash after going from 150 mg name brand to 300 mg generic.
Hope this helps someone!!

My Prescription that I'm going to start today is:

Bupropion 150mg

Bad??

#3 historyteach

historyteach

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:21 PM

Wow! That's interesting!
Even though it's not name brand, it still has to pass F&D regulations. How do they get away with making it so much weaker? That can actually be quite dangerous to people. It *could* cause a seizure!

Oddball,
Since you are just starting the bupropion, you do not have to worry about the seizure from sudden withdrawal that I'm referring to. My advice to you is just as I said on your thread. Meditate, exercise or do what ever it is you do to relax and go with it. It does sound like your doc knows what s/he's doing. Please try to relax. :hearts:

Peace!

#4 gaugreg1x

gaugreg1x

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

The Director of the Office of Medical Policy of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Dr. Robert Temple, has acknowledged that TEVA Budeprion XL 300 releases drug at a different rate than the brand name Wellbutrin XL 300, consistent with ConsumerLab.com's findings in this report. Dr. Temple's remarks were made during a radio broadcast on Southern California Public Radio station KPCC on December 19, 2007. He noted that the FDA was aware that bioequivalence studies in people showed the once-a-day generic to release drug sooner than its brand-name counterpart but that the FDA "thought that that wouldn't make any difference." He admitted that the once-a-day generic "had an early release pattern that was a little closer to the original [three-times-a-day] product" than to once-a-day Wellbutrin XL. The FDA approved the once-a-day generic without mention of this difference, further clinical testing or special follow up.

Two weeks prior to Dr. Temple's remarks, on December 1, 2007, the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) officially released information indicating that the dissolution of the Budeprion XL 300 varied significantly from the original drug. According to the USP, tablets of Wellbutrin XL release only a small amount (less than 20%) of drug during the first two hours of dissolution. In contrast, the Budeprion XL releases at least 25% and as much as 50% of its drug in that period. These USP dissolution standards are based upon performance characteristics that the FDA approved for the original and generic drugs, respectively, and were provided to USP by the manufacturers.
edient and binders, etc. Also the FDA regulations for dissolution are rather broad. This can be a problem with a drug such as Wellbutrin.

#5 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

I'm sorry generic isn't working for you, Calliope. People react differently to the various formulas. For me, generic bupropion works very well, even better than the name brand. But some people react negatively. Generic formulas are regulated, but they are allowed a certain amount of leeway regarding percentage of active ingredient and rate of release.

Some people experience a crash when increasing from 150mg to 300mg, regardless of brand. The effective dose is different for everyone. Some people do very well on 150mg, but feel terrible on 300mg. Unfortunately, it takes some trial and error to find the right brand and dosage for you.

Edited by suburgatory, 31 March 2008 - 08:49 PM.

Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#6 tkdan

tkdan

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

I'm on 300 generic and I feel fine.

The effective dose is different for everyone.

I have to agree just because in works for one there is no guarantee it will work for another.

Edited by tkdan, 02 April 2008 - 03:11 PM.

#7 OnlyZ

OnlyZ

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, generics are definitely regulated, this isn't some third world country we live in. And the FDA clearly states the effectiveness requirements of generics. Always research what you put into your body before you buy it...
[This Space For Sale]

#8 pocketplayer

pocketplayer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

Some people experience a crash when increasing from 150mg to 300mg, regardless of brand.

I felt almost nothing at 300 for a month and went to 450 and crashed hard for the past week. Horrible dark depression and tried all day...zombie-like...never go outside...confusion...

only positive is I stopped smoking

For a month I was taking Wellbutrin XL in the brand name bottle---samples form the Dx. Then I got a prescription for Bupropion ER 150 (Generic for Wellbutrin SR)

Can there be a difference between XL & SR? Does it really matter that much?

Edited by pocketplayer, 10 April 2008 - 06:32 PM.

See my blog: bipolarblacklight.blogspot.c om

#9 OnlyZ

OnlyZ

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

XL is longer lasting and is only taken oncer per day, whereas SR is made to be taken twice per day. So the amount of drug in your system at any given point could very well be different between the two preparations.
[This Space For Sale]

#10 pocketplayer

pocketplayer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:21 AM

XL is longer lasting and is only taken oncer per day, whereas SR is made to be taken twice per day. So the amount of drug in your system at any given point could very well be different between the two preparations.

Thank you! I'm pretty pi**ed off right now hearing this. When I went to the pharmacist to fill my prescription, it was for XL. They gave me generic which is SR. The pharmacist said I could take them all at once like I did the XL. My life the past five days has been horrible! I am going to visit this pharmacy.

I will try the SR three times per day--morn, noon, night
See my blog: bipolarblacklight.blogspot.c om

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users