Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Weight Gain On Citalopram (celexa)???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 malaysiared

malaysiared

ID: 13155

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

Hi guys,

I've been on Citalopram for 2 months now after a period of a year without any medication. It seems to be working...my depression has really eased and I feel very balanced right now :hearts:

However....i'm not eating any more than previously, my diet is basically perfect and am actually doing way more exercise (started going back to the gym x 3 each week) and generally more active after spending 3 months unable to get out of bed...but i'm putting on weight!!! I actually want to lose just half a stone but it will not shift! In fact i'm putting on a pound or 2 a week right now which is kinda scary. I've never had trouble keeping my weight to it's ideal before and I know how to lose weight when i've needed to in the past so this is really puzzling...I don't like this feeling of being out of control of my body :flowers:

I want to be in control of my life again and this is really upsetting me.

Has anyone experienced weight gain that they can categorically attribute to Citalopram/Celexa??

What should I do?

#2 infiniti1027

infiniti1027

Silver Member

ID: 23929

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

Hi guys,

I've been on Citalopram for 2 months now after a period of a year without any medication. It seems to be working...my depression has really eased and I feel very balanced right now :hearts:

However....i'm not eating any more than previously, my diet is basically perfect and am actually doing way more exercise (started going back to the gym x 3 each week) and generally more active after spending 3 months unable to get out of bed...but i'm putting on weight!!! I actually want to lose just half a stone but it will not shift! In fact i'm putting on a pound or 2 a week right now which is kinda scary. I've never had trouble keeping my weight to it's ideal before and I know how to lose weight when i've needed to in the past so this is really puzzling...I don't like this feeling of being out of control of my body :flowers:

Has anyone experienced weight gain that they can categorically attribute to Citalopram/Celexa??

What should I do?

Weight gain is a very common side effect with Celexa! I really enjoyed it as an anti-depressant too, as far as how it made me feel mentally, but I gained 25 pounds (I am in America and don't know the ratio of pounds to stones) in one month! I didn't change my eating or exercise habits either, and it just packed on so fast!

I actually requested Celexa because I had been on it years back and knew it was a fast-acting drug with few adverse side effects, but I never equated it with my weight gain back then. I was at 130 when I started taking it, and wearing a size 7. I am now at 160, and in a size 11. I am NOT happy about it.

My dr. changed my AD to Wellbutrin which has the side effect of weight loss. We shall see! And I was told that most SSRI antidepressants DO cause weight gain. It has to do with the affect they have on the Serotonin levels.

My advice: talk to your doctor .... the longer you stay on Celexa, or any SSRI, the bigger you are gonna get.

#3 blueheart

blueheart

ID: 24135

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

Hi guys,

What should I do?

I know what you are going through, I've only been on citalopram for a month but have already gained about 8 lbs, everytime I look on the mirror I feel dreadful! before my dignoses and during my pregancy I put on 50lbs and havent lost any since then and now with the meds I can see myself getting bigger all the time! I workout everyday and eat fairly sensibly and no luck with losing yet! This extra weight on me makes me hate myself even more and now I'm wondering if being on the meds is really worth it when I am disgsted with myself every day and the thought of running into someone looking like this makes my anxiety ten times worse, some days I don't want to leave the house because of it! I dont want to hijack your thread but I'd love to know if anyone who experienced weight gain on citalopram has had success with losing weight through diet and excersise, I desperately need a glimmer of hope here!

#4 Chester Cheetoh

Chester Cheetoh

Silver Member

ID: 13886

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

not really any gain on Celexa, but since Ive switched to Lexapro Ive become a blimp

#5 imrj

imrj

ID: 21371

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

not really any gain on Celexa, but since Ive switched to Lexapro Ive become a blimp

on lexapro since Dec, have lost about 12lbs since, depression use make me eat whatever just to feel better, not anymore

#6 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:17 AM

Celexa has actually helped me lose some weight, because I'm not stress-eating so much.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#7 infiniti1027

infiniti1027

Silver Member

ID: 23929

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

Maybe it has the opposite affect with regard to stress eating patterns.

When I am depressed or incredibly stressed, I do NOT eat. I lose weight during those times. When I went through my divorces (yes TWO!) I lost weight.

However, when I am content and happy, I am a HOG! LOL

So, perhaps, maybe that's it. If you typically lose weight or are thin during depressive periods, and eat normally or eat excessively during happy or periods of contentment, you may gain weight while on celexa, because when it works, it generally works well. In my book, it is definitely a great mood stabilizing, "happy" pill when it settles in! I loved the effects on my mood and lifting my depression. I just hated the effects on my butt and my thighs and my belly!!!!! LOL

#8 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

ID: 20486

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:14 PM

I'm with you, Infiniti. When I'm down or stressed, I eat like a bird. When I'm happy, I can eat myself out of house and home. My current AD makes me a virtual chow hound. I have to be very, very careful. The good news is that since most of our seratonin receptors are in our tummies/gastro systems, if I'm eating well, I know my AD is doing something right! :hearts:

Chloe -- I took Celexa for a bit and I know what you're talking about. I know how alarming it can feel to put on weight (quickly!) with an AD. It's good that you are exercising -- that's important. I think you'll find that people react differently to Celexa (as evidenced by Burgy's post) -- as with any other AD. I hope you can find a healthy balance somehow. I know it's frustrating...

Best to you --
HopefulOne

Edited by HopefulOne, 09 April 2008 - 12:15 PM.

#9 Guest_HeadCase_*

Guest_HeadCase_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

Celexa has actually helped me lose some weight, because I'm not stress-eating so much.

I just picked some up today and the label on it says it can lead to weight loss or gain

#10 Chester Cheetoh

Chester Cheetoh

Silver Member

ID: 13886

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

I'm probably eating less, but my metabolism has slowed down considerably

#11 rush25

rush25

ID: 24473

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:15 AM

I've been in treatment for an eating disorder for several years and Celexa is commonly prescribed to patients with EDs due to the fact that they do not typically cause clinically significant weight gain. And obviously it does not alter the seizure threshold like other ADs.

But all medications affect people differently.

#12 AnnieHoward

AnnieHoward

Just Registered

ID: 24518

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

How odd. I've been on Celexa for several years now. There has been some weight gain, but also loss. Whereas Wellbutron had me blow up like a blimp!

#13 Chercher

Chercher

Just Registered

ID: 24556

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and logged on because of the weight gain thing. been on citalopram (celexa) for three months now and it does wonders for my mood, can't fault that but the weight gain is scary. I told the doc and she said it definitely doesn't put weight on you but it does cause higher appetite. Since then I've noticed what I'm eating, and ti's true, I feel hungry all the time and snack more. is there any way to stop this. I don't fit any of my clothes and can't bear to go out and buy new big ones.
Doesn't help that it also makes me feel shattered all the time so I don't have the energy to move around. if it weren't so wonderful for my mood I'd consider coming off it.

Someone said they wondered if it had the opposite effect from when you're down. When I'm down I can't eat, could that be why I'm troughing now?

Does anyone have any hints on how to get over these side effects?

"The good news is that since most of our seratonin receptors are in our tummies/gastro systems, if I'm eating well, I know my AD is doing something right!" (Sorry don't know how to quote yet) This is fascinating. Never heard this before.

Thanks to anyone who finds time to reply.

Chercher

#14 big blue eyes

big blue eyes

Just Registered

ID: 24972

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:10 AM

Hi guys,

What should I do?

#15 lcyldybg

lcyldybg

Just Registered

ID: 43688

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:04 AM

Not sure how this i is done, im a newbe. curious why you switched from celexa to lexapro? my md just switched me to celexa from lexapro! (money costs w/ no insurance anymore) would appreciate your expreriance in the difference, Lucy

#16 pacwest

pacwest

ID: 27829

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

I am on lexapro and have put on about 15kg since starting it and I feel digusted in myself. I am not eating any more than I used to and I am so ashamed with how I look that I don't want to go out and see my friends or family. I have tried to get off the Lexapro a couple of times but the side effects are so bad that I end up taking them again despite wanting desperatly to lose weight. I just hate myself right now and wished that I never started on the tablets to begin with.

#17 raox

raox

ID: 42760

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:36 AM

I am on lexapro and have put on about 15kg since starting it and I feel digusted in myself. I am not eating any more than I used to and I am so ashamed with how I look that I don't want to go out and see my friends or family. I have tried to get off the Lexapro a couple of times but the side effects are so bad that I end up taking them again despite wanting desperatly to lose weight. I just hate myself right now and wished that I never started on the tablets to begin with.

Did you try tapering off slowly or did you cold turkey it? anyway iv been on lexapro for 2 months, first month 10mg, second month 20mg and i havent put on any weight at all. i exercise 4-5 days a week and cut out junk food. somehow lexapro got me to care more about what i eat and my health. when i was dperessed i didnt give a D*** what i ate. id go a whole day without ewating then pig out on chocolate and chips. since being on lexapro i only eat food, and i noticed it supresses my appetite.

#18 renmer85

renmer85

Just Registered

ID: 45870

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

Hey Guys,

I have been on Citalopram (as well as various other anti-depressants/bi-polar meds) for about 2 years now. My doctor told me that Citalopram will not cause weight gain, as one of the reasons for my depression was eating disorders/self image issues. However, within that past couple of months, I have noticed an EXTREME weight gain in myself (I was always the skinniest one in the house, now I'm not). I have put on 14 pounds in the past few months and am absolutely horrified!!! I have not changed my eating habits (I have usually only had two meals/day or three small meals). I am thinking about just stopping all of my medications completely, b/c to me, my weight is my number one mood-setter.

I am also on Lamictal, which I've been on for about 2 months for Bi-Polar and Zanax on an as-needed basis.

I have never felt so horrible about myself, that I'd rather be mentally unhappy than physically ugly...I don't know what to do anymore...any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :shocked:

#19 deedee80

deedee80

ID: 43014

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hey Guys,

I have been on Citalopram (as well as various other anti-depressants/bi-polar meds) for about 2 years now. My doctor told me that Citalopram will not cause weight gain, as one of the reasons for my depression was eating disorders/self image issues. However, within that past couple of months, I have noticed an EXTREME weight gain in myself (I was always the skinniest one in the house, now I'm not). I have put on 14 pounds in the past few months and am absolutely horrified!!! I have not changed my eating habits (I have usually only had two meals/day or three small meals). I am thinking about just stopping all of my medications completely, b/c to me, my weight is my number one mood-setter.

I am also on Lamictal, which I've been on for about 2 months for Bi-Polar and Zanax on an as-needed basis.

I have never felt so horrible about myself, that I'd rather be mentally unhappy than physically ugly...I don't know what to do anymore...any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :shocked:

You will need to change some of your eating habits. I eat a lot, but the only thing I have done is stop drinking soda and drinking at least 6 glasses of water a day. I still drink juice. I lost 5 pounds. I still eat junk food. I knew all about anti-depressants because I was others for years and made me gain weight. So I knew I had to cut out something, which I chose to be sodas. It is so hard. I have not drank a soda in 2 months.

#20 iorange

iorange

Just Registered

ID: 64295

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:11 AM

I find it interesting that others are experiencing the same issues. I have tried Lexapro for a short time, but was not on it long enough or on a high enough dosage to notice any side effects. I have now been on Paroxetine since October and have experienced extreme weight gain. Hardly noticeable to myself, but close friends and family members have noted that I look larger. I'm a young adult male and have always been the skinny kid. I was about 130-135 when I started and I'm pushing 155 right now. As of this past week I've been getting off of it to get on Citalopram, but these posts have turned me away from it. I think I'm done with SSRI's. Just out of thought maybe the dosage has something to do with the weight gain. I am not happy with how I look right now. I have lost all muscle definition. I noticed myself becoming heavier once I stepped it up to a "regular" dose. Curious to know if anyone else has noticed that relation.

I hope the best for everyone! Hang in there. When you feel, you heal:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users