Jump to content

Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Olanzapine (zyprexa) For Anxiety


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 laralee

laralee

    Platinum Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

I saw my psychiatirst yesterday and he did not want to increase my doseage of Ativan and has given ne a prescription for olanzapine for my anxiety issues. Has anyone else you this for this issue and could you share your results with me. I am rather nervous of this drug. and really need some feedback here.

Thanks Michelle
Michelle
Live each day as if it were your last. You never know what tomorrow may bring
99% of all families are dysfunctional the other 1% are in denial.

#2 Jkm

Jkm

    Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

You might find out more information on this med in the Other Meds Room. Sometimes docs will use small doses of this kind of med to reduce symptoms. I hope this provides relief. I think most of us are on typical antidepressants. Any idea why your doc is using this?

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#3 laralee

laralee

    Platinum Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:28 PM

Honestly he doesn't trust me with anymore benzo. Says it's being use to treat ongoing anxiety even though it is marketed as an antipsychotic drug
Michelle
Live each day as if it were your last. You never know what tomorrow may bring
99% of all families are dysfunctional the other 1% are in denial.

#4 Jkm

Jkm

    Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:44 PM

Have you taken it yet? You may be pleasantly surprised at how relaxed you become!

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#5 lambvet

lambvet

    Premium Member

  • Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sun City West, Arid-zone

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:07 AM

Have you taken it yet? You may be pleasantly surprised at how relaxed you become!

Jackie


I took Zyprexa for a while when we were trying to find a good med for my anxiety, I found that it was bothering my memory although sedating. Plus I seemed to be putting on a lot of weight quickly. But I have reacted like that to a number of meds that I have tried in the past.

Peace and Love..... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)


* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *


Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "


#6 Nopawn

Nopawn

    Silver Member

  • Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

A few years ago, when I was undergoing MAJOR anxiety--was literally in a state of panic that made me just want to die--I was prescribed Zyprexa. It got rid of the panic fast. But, after about a week, it also made me gain weight just as fast--like 2 lbs./day!!! Yikes! And I was not even eating much at all--nor had I ever had a weight problem. So I quit, and hobbled along on an SSRI after that.

#7 slw

slw

    Gold Member

  • Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • Location:US

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

my son takes it -- he did start it for psychotic symptoms, but it has taken his anxiety away along with the psychosis.
he also takes prozac.

it is a little sedating depending on your dosage -- and it does cause weight gain for a lot of people, but not all -- my son hasn't gained any weight.
you should sleep well with it.

what dosage will you start with? my son has been as high as 20 mg a day and is currently on 10 mg now that everything is under control.

#8 laralee

laralee

    Platinum Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:21 AM

I am starting on 2.5 mg at noon and 5 mg at bedtime. The first night I only took 2.5 mg at bedtime along with my usual meds and slept very well but woke up feeling stoned. So last night I cut my Ativan to 1 mg from two and this morning I feel more alert and no brain fog.
Michelle
Live each day as if it were your last. You never know what tomorrow may bring
99% of all families are dysfunctional the other 1% are in denial.

#9 Izzy85

Izzy85

    Silver Member

  • Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Location:Québec, Canada

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

This is actually a really good topic, because I've been wondering about this drug for anxiety. I don't have any psychotic episodes or I don't see things or anything like that but I get anxious to the point that I want to die too. And it just lasts forever, it actually never goes away. It's just that constant feeling, all the time, and it makes minutes feel like hours and days like years. So yeah after this baby comes out I'm going to try to talk to my doctor about it! I'm actually not seeing a psychiatrist yet, I just have a regular doctor and right now my OBGYN. I think I need to find a shrink here pretty soon! Baby is due July 3rd...only 3 more months to go! I feel miserable, out of breath, uncomfortable but that's ok!

#10 laralee

laralee

    Platinum Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

{{{{{{{Izzy}}}}}}

I really feel for you, the last trimester is hard. I guess that's why I cut it short by a month 2 out of 3 times. I found out what the last month was like with my second and skipped it again on the third.
Hope all goes well and baby is born no later than due date and healthy.

Michelle
Michelle
Live each day as if it were your last. You never know what tomorrow may bring
99% of all families are dysfunctional the other 1% are in denial.

#11 Izzy85

Izzy85

    Silver Member

  • Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Location:Québec, Canada

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:14 PM

{{{{{{{Izzy}}}}}}

I really feel for you, the last trimester is hard. I guess that's why I cut it short by a month 2 out of 3 times. I found out what the last month was like with my second and skipped it again on the third.
Hope all goes well and baby is born no later than due date and healthy.

Michelle


Thanks for the reply Michelle! I want the baby to be born at 37 weeks exactly!!! Cause it's actually considered full term and 36 weeks is till considered premature. So 37 weeks would do it for me! And it would be a beautiful June baby! But I'm actually praying that the Lord takes care of everything and that He lets this baby come out when it's ready! But oh man 37 weeks sounds soooooo good!!!

#12 Jkm

Jkm

    Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

Your doc would probably order you a small dose of something to get you through this. I'm sure he's had other people who have had extreme anxiety towards the end of their pregnancy. You may be surprised!

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#13 Brian1020

Brian1020

    Newbie

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

Hi Wayne,

I've found a lot of anti-anxiety meds make me lethargic and I also had memory problems.

What meds are you taking now for your anxiety?

Thanks,
Brian

#14 lambvet

lambvet

    Premium Member

  • Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sun City West, Arid-zone

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:16 AM

Hi Wayne,
I've found a lot of anti-anxiety meds make me lethargic and I also had memory problems.
What meds are you taking now for your anxiety?
Thanks, Brian


Hi Brian,

I take mirtazapine (30 mg. BID) (Remeron) for the anxiety and a low dose bupropion (100 mg. BID/SID) (Wellbutrin) for dysthymia. Before I started the bupropion, I would sleep 'rock' hard and would have trouble getting started in the morning, but once I 'came' to, I was fine. I take the bupropion at least once a day, but when I need to get up early and snap to it, I take a second one about 6-8 hours after the first one which I take upon rising. Either way, an hour later I am fine. As a measure of my memory, I can do the New York Times crossword puzzle in the time it takes me to smoke a cigarette slowly, so I think it is fine. But one thing I have noticed is when you wonder about your memory, I think you become more aware of when you can't remember a word or a number. It probably doesn't really occur more often, it is just that you are more aware of it. Just my take on it, but I have taken meds that I 'know' dulled my memory, but mirtazapine and/or bupropion aren't one of them.

Hope that helps you out... OH, BTW, when I took buspirone (BusPar) some years ago and before it stopped working (about 3 years), it didn't seem to effect my memory either.

Peace and Love.... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)


* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *


Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "


#15 laralee

laralee

    Platinum Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:50 AM

Update on the Zyprexa, it really has helped to keep my anxiety to a resonable level and is a wonderful adjunct to sleep. I have been doing all right on it.
The only problem I've really noted about the weight gain is that I know have a bust line again. Oh well it's cheaper than Implants lol
Michelle
Live each day as if it were your last. You never know what tomorrow may bring
99% of all families are dysfunctional the other 1% are in denial.

#16 Izzy85

Izzy85

    Silver Member

  • Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Location:Québec, Canada

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:01 PM

Lol, that was funny! Keep us updated as I am really interested about this drug. I also take lorazepam as needed but I don't want to stay on this.

#17 laralee

laralee

    Platinum Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:21 AM

Izzy the problems is I've now outgrown all my bras. I never in my wildest dreams though this would happen. He mentioned weight gain as a side effect but I did not expect it in my chest. Will have to tell my oldest daughter about this because she's always talking about buying some boobs.
Michelle
Live each day as if it were your last. You never know what tomorrow may bring
99% of all families are dysfunctional the other 1% are in denial.

#18 Izzy85

Izzy85

    Silver Member

  • Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Location:Québec, Canada

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

Lol, no you don't want your daughter to be on this drug to get some boobs, especially if she doesn't need it. As far as the plastic surgery...Well if I had a daughter I would have her wait until she's at least 18 years old and take her own decision. Also I don't think I would help financially with the surgery (now that's if it was my OWN daughter). I would say that I'm happy for her in whatever decision she takes but that she's beautiful the way she is. That's how God made us, after all! But see I've hated my nose ever since I was teenager and I've thought about plastic surgery, but then I said no, this is how God made me, and people actually say my nose looks just fine, I am unique!

#19 laralee

laralee

    Platinum Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:17 PM

(((((Izzy))))))

My oldest daughter will be 27 this year. I just mentioned this because she would drive me :hearts: with al her talk about buying boobs. I could never understand it. She has had cosmetic surgery on her ears when she was a teen. I waited until she was old enough to have some imput into the decision to have her ears pinned. She used to really get teased about her ears sticking out.

As an update on the Zyprexa I have decided to only use it at night as it really knocks me flat. I'm sleeping soundly for up to 12 hours at a time. What I am noticing is it seems to be impacting on my memory and I wake up somewhat unsettled as if I cannot even remember going to bed. I really do not like this effect at all.
Michelle
Live each day as if it were your last. You never know what tomorrow may bring
99% of all families are dysfunctional the other 1% are in denial.

#20 slw

slw

    Gold Member

  • Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • Location:US

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

maybe you should take a little less? we really had to play with my son's dosage up & down to get the right effect & he gradually adjusted to it.

i would never suggest this if you were taking it for psychosis, but maybe try cutting the pill in half?
zyprexa is EXTREMELY sedating and does seem to have some issues with memory until you get used to it.

#21 laralee

laralee

    Platinum Member

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

Although prescribed for twice a day I am only using it at bedtime and am cutting it back to half the dose prescribed. The only reason I have been given this was because my anxiety was just out of control and he didn't want to give me more Ativan when I requested a prn dose to supplement my hs dose. I am really going to have to address this further with him. That or find a new psychiatrist which I'm thinking about doing since he's just starting to infuriate me.
Michelle
Live each day as if it were your last. You never know what tomorrow may bring
99% of all families are dysfunctional the other 1% are in denial.

#22 audre

audre

    Just Registered

  • Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:10 PM

Update on the Zyprexa, it really has helped to keep my anxiety to a resonable level and is a wonderful adjunct to sleep. I have been doing all right on it.
The only problem I've really noted about the weight gain is that I know have a bust line again. Oh well it's cheaper than Implants lol



Hi LaraLee,

At one time I was on Lexapro 20 mg and Zyprexa 5mgs at night as well as a small dose of Xanax Xr that I'll be off of soon.
I'm just wondering at what dose and HOW LONG it took before you noticed it helping your anxiety? When I took it I was on so many other
meds it was hard to tell. I remember it making me sleep too much and I was one of the lucky ones and only gained 15 lbs in 6 months.
But this was enough for my doctor to take me off the drug. Now I'm trying an MAOI parnate and am not a a level that it is helping me yet.
You have to be patient with this drug.... the morning palpitations are killn' me.

Anyway if the parnate thing doesn't work I may have to go back to the Zyprexa and it is hard to find people who are using it for anxiety alone without and other drugs.

How's it been working out for you?

Thanks,

Audre




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Google (1)