Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Can I Get Disability?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Madeleine

Madeleine

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

I applied for disability 2 years ago and was rejected. I have had severe and debilitating depressions since age 13. Last week I got my SS statement in the mail: I earned a total of about $5000 in my lifetime (I'm almost 48.) I married in my twenties and raised two daughters, though it was very challenging. My husband, who I met in college and married while we were both pre-med students, went on to become a doctor and promised that he would always take care of me. I adored him and trusted him. After 21 years of marriage (including many years of near-poverty through the time he was in medical school and residency) he divorced me, and left me with just enough resources to survive (rent, food, utilities.) Nothing at all left over and I have no assets or extended family. The people at SSDI said I didn't have enough "points" to qualify for SSDI and rejected my file. I'm very frightened, exhausted, and feel that I have no future at all. I really desperately need some good advice. Does anyone on here know anything that I can do about this? Many thanks in advance.

#2 laralee

laralee

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:08 AM

Madelaine,

I wish I could help you on this one, unfortunately I am in a similar situation but our system is much different from yours. Are you not getting adquate spousal support you may want to revisit this issue.

I wish you the best of luck and that you are able to sort this out soon.

Michelle
Michelle
Live each day as if it were your last. You never know what tomorrow may bring
99% of all families are dysfunctional the other 1% are in denial.

#3 amiok123

amiok123

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

Oh man, I'm so sorry. I am going through the SSDI process, but I do have enough credits to qualify. Can you get SSI??
~M

dx: Panic Disorder, Chronic Depression, GAD

#4 amiok123

amiok123

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

Do you get any alimony?
~M

#5 Madeleine

Madeleine

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

Do you get any alimony?

$350.00/wk.

#6 amiok123

amiok123

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

Do you get any alimony?

$350.00/wk.

You may be able to qualify for SSI...have you looked into that? They don't take work credits into account.
~M

#7 chiqnina

chiqnina

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:54 AM

this may be a stupid question, but how or where do you go to find out if you qualify for disability? I could really use it, i have severe depression, anxiety and panic attacks and am on meds.

#8 bijou

bijou

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

in the us, it's social security that takes care of it... it's quite a process, i guess, but people i know have gotten it.. not sure what it is where you are tho... do u have social security or something similar there?

#9 wjd

wjd

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:36 AM

chiqnina,

Depending on where you live in Canada it is available to you. There are variables to consider regarding to where to go, as in, are you working now? If not, then it is generally through social assistance. For eg. in ontario it is a branch of Ontario Works called ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Plan). Each province has some variation of it.

If you are working, then it is a matter of the type of insurance you have with the company, if any.

As stated by a previous poster regarding the U.S.A. and it being quite a procedure, I am afraid to say that it is often a difficult one here also. Things to consider when applying into such programs are documentation and paper trails regarding your illness.

What tends to happen to most people who apply is that you are instantly refused it. They do this hoping you will just simply go..'well crap...that sux." and go away. This is where the tribunal process can begin, for most anyone who gets disability needs to have some sort of a fight with the system. The good news regarding the fight is that there are free legal services available to do your fighting for you, and you'll need them...and once the process has begun any and all benefits you are entitled to if you do win will end up being paid to you retroactive to your initial claim.

I just went through this process and ended up receiving over 2 years worth of retro back pay in a lump sum check. That was pretty helpful given our financial circumstances. Heck, it was more then helpful...it was HUGE. And now we are receiving monthly supplements with a wide array of benefits we didn't have before.

If you have more questions or can share more on your situation or location in Canada and need assistance, either put it here, or if it is more comfortable for you, feel free to Private Message me and I will help you in any way I can.

Good luck.

Edited by wjd, 21 March 2008 - 01:42 AM.

#10 john1157

john1157

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

Do you get any alimony?

$350.00/wk.

Madeleine, if you don't have enough points you will not get SSDI. SSI is a form of federal welfare and with an income of 350.00 a week I seriously doubt you'd qualify for that either. You can apply online to start the process, it took me about 18 months to get approved (for SSDI). I was rejected on my inital application but got approved on appeal with an attorney. Just remember that SSDI is insurance based on what you paid into the system while SSI is federal welfare, they are 2 different things. You should try to find out if there is any possibility of getting it (SSDI), based on your former husbands earnings.

#11 amiok123

amiok123

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

Do you get any alimony?

$350.00/wk.

Madeleine, if you don't have enough points you will not get SSDI. SSI is a form of federal welfare and with an income of 350.00 a week I seriously doubt you'd qualify for that either. You can apply online to start the process, it took me about 18 months to get approved (for SSDI). I was rejected on my inital application but got approved on appeal with an attorney. Just remember that SSDI is insurance based on what you paid into the system while SSI is federal welfare, they are 2 different things. You should try to find out if there is any possibility of getting it (SSDI), based on your former husbands earnings.

Good idea, John. If you were married for 10 years or longer, I believe you'd be entitled to it based on his earnings. Good luck Mad!
~M

#12 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

Your alimony income will most likely disqualify you for SSI. You definitely don't qualify for welfare or public assistance. Your annual income is probably above the poverty level in your state which means you won't be able to get much in the way of assistance.

I exist on a tad over $1400 from SSD. There's a few dollars left for food and I don't qualify for food stamps. It's tough, but I make do with what I have.

Are you able to work at all? or are you mentally/physically disabled?

One thing, you are entitled to a portion of your ex's SS retirement providing you don't remarry.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users