Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Anxiety/stress Bowel Movement Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lorelai

Lorelai

ID: 17250

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:01 AM

Gross question but has anyone every had yellowish stool after bouts of anxiety or panic attacks?? I know it's normal to get diarrhea with anxiety but today I had a yellowish-semi soft stool and of course it freaks me out, because well every thing does. I've been having panic attacks almost every day for 2 weeks now. Anyone else ever have this??
~PD
Long time anxiety/panic disorder surviver

#2 jv0211

jv0211

ID: 22952

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

A few months ago when my anxiety was really horrible and I went about two weeks with what seemed like constant panic attacks, I had a lot of bowel/stomach related issues. It freaked me out too, I constantly worry about my health as well. I grew up in a household wiht a lot of hypochondriacs and I work with sick people everyday, so all I encounter and see is sickness. It doesn't help the "freaking out about health issues". Anyway, to answer your question during the time that my anxiety attacks were occurring daily my stool was all sorts of colors (sorry to sound gross, just trying to be honest). I also had just gotten over a terrible stomach virus which preceded the anxiety (and may have triggered it), so I was having every stomach issue under the mood during that time. I would say, keep an eye on it, if it doesn't ease up you might want to get it checked - mostly because you don't want to get dehydrated. I hope this helps! :hearts:

#3 Moonlight_Magic

Moonlight_Magic

Silver Member

ID: 6655

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:26 AM

Id go and mention to your dr, especially if it continues. Sometimes it can just be result of something you've eaten but if it persists its worth seeing your gp.
"Oneday your prince will find you, mine just got lost on the way and was too stubborn to ask for directions!" (annoymous)

All quotes below by me and whomever happened to come up with them before i did (lol):

"Beneath the pessimism that is depression im an eternal optimist, so please don't be fooled by my seeming negativity!" *ahem*

"Finding acceptance from the world around us, begins with finding acceptance of the self".

"You dont have to achieve great things to be a great person!"

"On the road of life im a sunday driver. Im taking the scenic route at a speed im comfortable with. So if you want to overtake me, please feel free, but dont keep beeping your horn at me, its irritating. Thankyou"

#4 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

Lorelai, It may seems gross but it's a real problem to some of us with anxiety and/or panic attacks. Every time that my anxiety gets worse, I get diarrhea -- whether for a day or several days, depending on the severity of anxiety. I've never had an issue with color although have noticed that a change in color can often be chalked up to what I've been eating. If yours has been yellowish over a period of time or more than a few times, I'd talk to your regular Dr. or gastroenterologist about it.
I hate to even tell my friends that my diarrhea is caused by anxiety. I suffered a terrible attack 9 years ago and was eventually taken by ambulance 5 hours away. I had been under a huge amount of stress and became so sick because of losing electrolites. I can't remember where you live. In the U.S. we have something called Smart Water that provides electrolites. I don't even travel without it anymore. Be sure to keep yourself hydrated and find a source of electrolites for any emergincy.
I'm glad that you brought up this topic because I imagine there are plenty of people here who need to hear that diarrhea is a common outcome of anxiety.
Hugs, Iowa

#5 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

I googled "loose yellow stools" and found the following:

"Yellow stool can indicate that food is passing through the digestive tract relatively quickly. Yellow stool can be found in people with GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Symptoms of GERD include heartburn, chest pain, sore throat, chronic cough, and wheezing. Symptoms are usually worse when lying down or bending. Foods that can worsen GERD symptoms include peppermint, fatty foods, alcohol, coffee, and chocolate.

"Yellow stool can also result from insuffient bile output. Bile salts from the liver gives stool its brownish color. When bile output is diminished, it often first appears as yellow stool. If there is a greater reduction in bile output, stool lose almost all of its color, becoming pale or grey."

If you don't have GERD or no reason to believe you have a liver disfunction, I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor or gastroenteroligist -- just to check it out.
-Iowa

#6 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:29 PM

You might also want to google Irritable Bowel Syndrome as it sounds like you have this condition and it's related to Generalized Anxiety. As I said before, this anxiety can be very hard on your body. It's good advice that you got from iowa.

Love, Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#7 chiqnina

chiqnina

ID: 23195

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:27 AM

Gross question but has anyone every had yellowish stool after bouts of anxiety or panic attacks?? I know it's normal to get diarrhea with anxiety but today I had a yellowish-semi soft stool and of course it freaks me out, because well every thing does. I've been having panic attacks almost every day for 2 weeks now. Anyone else ever have this??

Sorry that you are dealing with this. I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks, and i also have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). When ever i have really bad anxiety my stool can be yellowish, but it usually doesn't last too long. Keep an eye on it.

#8 Lorelai

Lorelai

ID: 17250

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:17 AM

LOL that was the grossest question, I am such a worrier!! Anyway, I want to thank you all for your replies. I am just such a hypochondriac and have been worrying that there was something wrong with my digestive system and when that happened I went into ultra freak out mode. Everything is back to normal so to speak. I am pretty sure the panic attacks and anxiety have wreaked havoc on my digestive track. I don't recall it doing that so much 8 years ago when I was having a lot of anxiety issues, but heck I am 8 years older now and your body changes.

So I thank everyone who took the time to reply and I hope this lovely topic helps anyone else who doesn't want to ask such an icky question ;)
~PD
Long time anxiety/panic disorder surviver

#9 adam1984

adam1984

Just Registered

ID: 55301

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:33 AM

I find if i get particularly anxious my stools become very loose, I can still control movements if I'm out and about, but then i develop a migraine.

#10 KatrinkaCat

KatrinkaCat

Just Registered

ID: 109322

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

I found this site when I googled "yellow bowel movement" and decided to become a member. :EmoticonDogRun: Gee...why did I pick a running dog?? lol  I'm a panic disorder "veteran" and a unipolar depression "veteran". My panic disorder and depression started in January of 1971, and I've been on medication since 1972. I'm now 68...and had a halfways decent life because of Valium and since 1990...Prozac for depression. I was doing quite well for a number of months, but today had a panic attack...not my worst, since I was able to continue with house cleaning, etc. I first noticed yellow bowel movements back in 1971 after my first panic attack. I don't have this problem with every attack....just with some. No doctor has ever diagnosed me with IBS or anything like that. I was an only child, and my folks passed on many, many years ago, so I really don't have much in the way of family history. Having done a lot of research on the true cause of panic disorder, I'm now wondering if this disease affects the liver...causing bile to be released with the stool...thereby coloring it yellow? The color goes back to normal once the attack remits. I just was very curious if any research was being done along this line. If any researchers are on this site, I would love to hear from you. Also...if you just need someone to talk with who has had panic disorder just about all of their adult life, please write. I hope everyone out there is okay and FIGHTING this disease and NOT giving up! We ARE the heroines and heroes!!

#11 soulitude

soulitude

ID: 108121

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

I have anxiety issues and while it does give me diarrhea when it gets bad, it's never really been yellow. The only time it's been yellow or clay-like-shade and semi-soft is when I was having gallbladder issue. It would be a good idea if you could get yourself a proper and thorough check up. I hope you feel better soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users