Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Amitriptyline For Insomnia

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 briang39

briang39

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

My doc has prescribed amitriptyline for my insomnia, part of which is due to starting Lexapro 4 weeks ago. She has suggested taking 20 mg. Has anyone else had success with amitriptyline? If so, how long before I go to sleep should I take it?

Thanks for your help.

#2 bear

bear

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

Hey briang39......i've been on amytrptaline since "94" i take it for my depression.....and it's the only thing that has helped me,i tried many others,but this one i have been on since...i havent heard about just taking it for "insomnia" but i can tell you one thing...it's not an "anti depression" drug that You can just stop taking...i take "50" mg. only cuz i've been on it for so long,that my body can handle it. It depends on the person and how long or how fast it takes affect.....but i can warn about this.."DO NOT DRIVE" after taking it,it does make You "Sleepy". for me i usually take mine about 9:pm every nyte,by 9:30 or 10:00pm i'm feeling drowsy......it just all depends on the person when taking this.......then by 11pm i'm really feeling the effects..it helps majorly for "Depression". my pm is open Your welcome to pm anytime.... :hearts:
"Never be ashamed of who You are.....and always always speak from Your Heart and Soul,don't let anyone ever take that from You".........You are Your own unique individual,always remember that" "Be Stronge,Be Couragous,and be Proud of who You are...and NO ONE can ever step all over You". PS. I'm the One holding the mic while singing,if You view my RT pic,it's under "My Albums" take a peek,leave a comment*LOL*...........oh and the Other One in the pic with me,is a good Friend of mine.....Her Daughter's B/F took the pic...

#3 Neatoboy

Neatoboy

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

I take Endep which is in the Amitriptyline group to help me sleep. It's fantastic but definitely take bears advise not to drive after you take your dosage. I take it 30-60 mins before bed. I really hope it helps you overcome insomnia!
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on
- REM

Homer: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." Posted Image

#4 Great_Chicken

Great_Chicken

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:29 AM

I had serious insomnia after a head injury and was prescribed this predominantly for the insomnia. Seemed to do the trick but i had awful mong-brain side effects and reduced dose as much as possible and came off it as quick as i could.

I guess like most of these meds there's individual reactions. I'm glad i used it. But also wish i'd got a psych opinion rather than my gp at the time.... though in the end i think it was a good thing.....

#5 claire158

claire158

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:24 AM

I take 50mg before I go to bed, they gave me it for my insomnia too - didn't really help with my depression. I have never really thought it has helped very much for me, I do get some sleep though but often I wake several times during the night. I've been on it for about a year. I really hope it helps you.
" A friend is someone who reaches for your hand but touches your heart"

#6 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

My doc has prescribed amitriptyline for my insomnia, part of which is due to starting Lexapro 4 weeks ago. She has suggested taking 20 mg. Has anyone else had success with amitriptyline? If so, how long before I go to sleep should I take it?

Thanks for your help.

It works on your anxiety fast. I have slept really well within the first two weeks of taking it, that changed when my doc upped the dose to 175mg. At first you may dream like crazy. It may take some time for your body adjust as I was knocked out on 10mg back in December, but can now take 50/50/75 split doses without feeling tired at all (yes, I saw your mouth drop, 175mg).

Beware if you are an alcohol user as any more than two drinks and you'll be seeing stars.

For depression though this med took over FOUR MONTHS to work for me. I just hope it continues to work. If it does I will be the happiest guy alive.

Claire, 50mg is the dosage for pain and anxiety, 150mg-200mg for depression (although you may have the odd day feeling very high on your dosage).

Edited by kirkwuk, 17 April 2008 - 12:34 PM.

Beating depression since 2007

#7 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,940 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

I was prescribed amitryptaline for depression as well as sleep (horrible patterns all my life). I was on 75mg, took it between 1-2 hours before bedtime and zonked me for 6 hours straight. There was a slight hangover feeling in the morning, but was gone before I had to leave for work. Alcohol intensified the effect, so don't drink with it. It did help with my depression. What time of day do you take Lexapro? AD's can cause sleep disruptions if taken later in the day.

I'm now taking Imipramine (another tricyclic) for sleep (along with Risperdol and Restoril) and depression. It's working ok and no morning hangover.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#8 nevel

nevel

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

I have started Amitriptyline for tension head aches and sleep problems. I have been on it for 3 weeks at 20 mg . During the day, I am feeling sedated and tired. I take it about 30 - 60 minutes before bed. I can feel it went it takes affect. Does the day time tiredness go away in time ? Or should I talk to my doc about reducing dose . It helps alot with sleep and I am getting anxiety relief from it .

#9 girlypants

girlypants

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

Hi, I take Lexapro for my depression, but I take 25mg of Endep a couple of hours before bed for insomnia and pain control. The first night I took it I slept like a baby. Occasionally I do still have a bad nights sleep, but generally since I have been on the Endep I have slept very well. I do find that it makes me tired throughout the day as well, but I dont mind that too much because at least I am getting sleep at night.

Good luck, I hope that it helps you too.

girly
girlypants

#10 X-ray

X-ray

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I've been on amitriptyline for 37 years.
Take your pills two hours before bedtime!

Is Lexapro and amitriptyline really a good combo?
I have tried Prozac and Elavil for a couple of months.

Those months were the worst time in my life.
So Prozac and amitriptyline don't mix well.

Best regards,
X-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users