Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Ritalin Prescribed For Depression (not Add)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tsva

tsva

ID: 22256

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

Hi, I have had treatment-resistant depression for most of my life and I recently got talking to someone from the US whose depression was greatly helped by the drug RITALIN (she did not have ADD). I was wondering whether anyone could share their experiences, either positive or negative, of this med. I'm especially interested in anyone who has been prescribed Ritalin in the UK as I get the impression they are more reluctant to prescribe it here that in the US.

Also, does anyone know of any positive articles / trials on the Internet that I could print out to show my psychiatrist? She says she hasn't heard of Ritalin being used for depression and so is reluctant to prescribe it.

If you are taking / have taken Ritalin for depression, what dose are you on and are you taking it with another anti-depressant or other medication?

Does the Ritalin act as an augmentor, boosting the benefits of your anti-depressant or is it supposed to work on its own?

Did your blood pressure rise? Or did you have any other side-effects? Did these wear off?

The woman I met says she doesn't take it everyday but only when she needs it! Is this common and is it recommended?

How long does it take to kick in? My friend says it took only a few days rather than the standard 4+ weeks.

What are the side-effects and long term dangers?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

All the best and wishing you a depression-free 2008. :hearts:
Tsva

#2 slw

slw

Gold Member

ID: 17002

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

I can't answer much of what you've asked -- but I can answer a little.

My son suffers from anxiety & depression -- he also has learning disabilities but ADHD was ruled out.
He does have some of the ADD symptoms though -- no hyperactivity.

He has been on AD's for about 2 years and is now on prozac and zyprexa.
The zyprexa makes most people very tired.

He tried a friends adderall (I know, bad -- but he's 18 and they make poor choices).
He said it made him feel great -- so his pdoc added a little adderal xr to his med combo.
He said it took his anxiety away and allowed him to focus -- i see where he is more awake when he
takes one -- but he's also a little more irratible -- i don't think anyone would notice that but me.

The adderall is very similiar to ritalin -- the effects kick in soon and it's out of your system in 24 hours.
It doesn't need a buildup to work like AD's. His dr said he could take it when he felt like it.

Both drugs are amphetamine based and there is a potential for abuse & addiction.
They are actually controlled substances and I can't remember what class they are, but it's a major drug
offense to give any to someone else (distribution) or have any without a prescription (possession).
It's the only drug I get through our mail order prescription plan that has to be signed for.

From my younger days of mis-spent youth, I have a tiny bit of experience (one-time) with illegal amphetimines.
They make you feel great -- to the point i only did them one time because it felt so good -- i was so awake &
alert with no mental impairment that i could tell -- i knew it was something i could become addicted to.

So, it can help -- and i know of quite a few people who take these drugs to combat the fatigue produced by other
drugs -- and if your dr is willing to prescribe it, i would say it's worth a try if nothing else is working -- just be
careful with them.

#3 NewVoid

NewVoid

ID: 20801

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

You might want to look into these drugs: Lyrica, Neurontin. Both of these are anticonvulsants but they work great for anxiety and depression and they don't sedate you heavily like other anticonvulsants can. Also, it seems the new popular drug these days that's been working for people is Provigil. It's a stimulant like ritalin, but it's different because it's not an amphetamine and it has less side effects.
All the night's pride and shame has been redeemed by the shadows. The cause is the cure and vice versa, but thinking happy thoughts works in a way because nothing is without light.

#4 tsva

tsva

ID: 22256

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

Brilliant. Thanks so much to you both for your replies. Your posts raised another question in my mind: is Ritalin ONLY used to combat the SEs of ADs (i.e. the lethargy) or is it ever prescribed on it's own actually as an AD or as an AD augmentor?

Slw - does your son take Adderall to help his depression or to alleviate the SEs of his ADs?
That's great that the Dr prescribed it and it's helping him. Was the Dr not worried about abuse / tolerance / dependency?

NewVoid - re Provigil - yes, I've noticed it cropping up a fair bit on these forums. Don't know if it's available in the UK, will have to look into it. Again, is Provigil used on its own as an AD, or as an augmentor, or is it used solely to combat the AD SEs?

Many thanks again for your replies. If any others have advice / experiences to share, I would be very grateful.

Tsva

#5 slw

slw

Gold Member

ID: 17002

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

Brilliant. Thanks so much to you both for your replies. Your posts raised another question in my mind: is Ritalin ONLY used to combat the SEs of ADs (i.e. the lethargy) or is it ever prescribed on it's own actually as an AD or as an AD augmentor?

Slw - does your son take Adderall to help his depression or to alleviate the SEs of his ADs?
That's great that the Dr prescribed it and it's helping him. Was the Dr not worried about abuse / tolerance / dependency?

NewVoid - re Provigil - yes, I've noticed it cropping up a fair bit on these forums. Don't know if it's available in the UK, will have to look into it. Again, is Provigil used on its own as an AD, or as an augmentor, or is it used solely to combat the AD SEs?

Many thanks again for your replies. If any others have advice / experiences to share, I would be very grateful.

Tsva

my son takes it for both -- but I think he liked what it did for his anxiety the most
and he's 18 -- if it just made him feel physically good, he liked it

his dr was worried mostly because it will work against his zyprexa (an anti-psychotic) -- but said we would try it and keep a close eye on it
the zyprexa was making sleep a lot more than any AD could -- up to 16 hours a day -- but he has a problem with sleep
his anxiety will get out of hand, and he will stop sleeping for days -- he then gets paranoid delusions which counts as psychosis
maybe he's bi-polar too and it's mania? we're still watching

but the adderall did perk him up a little -- he was falling asleep in his classes -- and now he's staying awake for them.

he usually takes one on school days and skips them on the weekends -- some school days he'll pass on it

but -- again he's 18 -- i know that one time he took more than he was supposed to so he could see what they would do
i know the potential for abuse is there, so i keep a very close eye on his meds

by the way -- lots of people sell their kids ritalin to people that abuse it or take it themselves

#6 starr

starr

Silver Member

ID: 1886

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

Hi,

I took ritalin along with paxil in the past and it worked great for me. I was
on 10mg and it helped with the depression that the paxil did not take care of
and the fatigue.

best wishes,
starr

#7 bunkee

bunkee

ID: 20355

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:08 PM

Some traditional bipolar drugs are also supposed to help depression. i.e. Lithium, Depakote and some others. I'm no dr, obviously, but you could ask about some of those.

Edited by bunkee, 07 March 2008 - 12:09 PM.

#8 r_kage

r_kage

ID: 32391

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

I was just prescribed a low dose of ritalin to help with symptoms of treatment resistant depression. There doesn't seem to be much on this topic, so I'm going to use this thread to report how I am in about a week. (I also take 10mg Abilify and 50mg trazodone daily.)
Rhonda

Age 38; dx: Asperger Syndrome, treatment-resistant depression

"My Amazing Ability....to avoid doing work!!! It's quite brilliant. I should bottle it and sell it to workaholics, although that would require w.o.r.k. and god knows when I'd get around to it." ~Elise

#9 starr

starr

Silver Member

ID: 1886

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hi,

I took ritalin in the past along with paxil tohelp with the
fatigue and the remaining depression the paxil didnt
cover. It worked great for me but I eventually switched
to prozac and didnt need the ritalin anymore. It was
really good while I used it though.

best wishes,
starr

#10 r_kage

r_kage

ID: 32391

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:19 PM

Following up, this is only my fifth day on the low dose of ritalin, and my depression is rapidly getting worse, not better. I do not notice an increase in energy on this dose, but I do think I have slightly better focus, through it all.
Rhonda

Age 38; dx: Asperger Syndrome, treatment-resistant depression

"My Amazing Ability....to avoid doing work!!! It's quite brilliant. I should bottle it and sell it to workaholics, although that would require w.o.r.k. and god knows when I'd get around to it." ~Elise

#11 jmerali

jmerali

Just Registered

ID: 39081

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hey, I can actually add a lot of insight on this topic. I'm 27 now, and have had drug resistant depression for about 11 years now. I have tried every antidepressant in the book..with no response to anything. About 5 years ago my psychiatrist put me on Dexedrine which is an amphetamine, just like Ritalin. There is dexedrine, ritalin, concerta, and adderall, which all act in roughly the same way.

Amphetamines have been the only thing that has ever helped my depression and energy. Over the years, you tend to become resistant to them and need to increase dosage and/or amphetamine. I thought I was the only one using this for depression, but it really means the difference between being bedridden and living a much more productive life. I am still frequently trying other drugs and ways to get better, but in the meantime they work as a good buffer. Amphetamines increase your pulse significantly, and can have different side effects for different people. But there's no research that suggests it being dangerous, unless its abused and/or you overdose. For me side effects include increased sweating, dry mouth, and a stiff back. But the tradeoff is totally worth it.

If anyone needs more info regarding this, feel free to ask away.

#12 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

ID: 28313

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

Interesting. I have recently added ritalin to my combo of lamictal and zoloft and I have to say I'm happy with the result. I really lifts the veil. I have to get of the instant release formula, as it is a roller coaster ride.
We are all failures -- at least, all the best of us are. -- Sir James M. Barrie

#13 mystery

mystery

Just Registered

ID: 45206

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

YES...I have recently been prescribed Ritalin for depression only. I have been put on Ritalin, as many other families of AD have a component in them that aggravate my headaches (history of migraines). It has only been about a month and a half, but it is fastly making my life easier. While I am, indeed, seeing a small improvement in such things as staying focused and getting things accomplished (I think these things will take awhile to fall into place), I am seeing improvements, quickly, in other areas.

I immediately was able to sleep for the first time, really, in years. Sleep hours, for me, were few and far between and forced. I had been thru numerous sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, melatonin, anti-anxiety pills (xanax, valium, ativan) and various combinations thereof. None of which were very successful. I had settled into a semblance of normalcy with the help of muscle relaxers and melatonin and 4-5 hrs sleep per night. And then, it was forced. With the Ritalin, if I lay down on the couch to watch T.V. at 4:30pm (my day starts at 3am), I am out for the count!!! For the first time in years, I am not only able to fall asleep and stay asleep, but I actually feel tired ahead of time...like there is a reason for me to go to bed (other than the fact that I have to wake up in a few hrs). I honestly don't remember the last time in my life that I felt tired at night and was able to retire and get a good night's sleep. I am in the process now of figuring out just how much of the Ritalin and when gives the best results.

For now I am taking 20 mg, 3x's a day. Sometimes I just take 1 at night, as it seems that 2 may make me a bit groggy when I wake up. It's a work in progress.

I also have noticed that my body/digestive system is much more regular, which has also been an issue in the past. Due to my migraines, I do take periodic painkillers, which can cause constipation. The Ritalin seems to help in that dept, as well. I have lost a few extra pounds that was impossible up until now, no matter what I seemed to do. I also have a history of asthma and COPD and since starting the Ritalin, I find that there are times when it seems my breathing is also improved...like I can take deeper more satisfying breaths. I've heard that a regular sleep pattern can help with all of these things. I am so thankful for the sleep and that, if nothing else, the Ritalin has given me that. There does seem to be an improvement in my "staying on task". I find I am able to get a few things accomplished and be more focused and a little more productive. For me, that is a big step in the right direction. It is my hope that with more time, those things improve immensely.

For me...for now...Ritalin is godsend...and a keeper!

#14 gmack123

gmack123

Just Registered

ID: 119317

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Hi! I recently was put in a psych hospital. I've always been the girl who knew everyone and had a blast. Until about two years ago, I met someone and fell in love. I started failing my classes, stopped hanging out with my friends, never went to school and I didn't want anything to do with my family. Everyone around me could see this guy (whom I'm now engaged to) was tearing me apart. I started hating myself. I couldn't stand to look at myself in the mirror. I quit taking care of my appearance and my self hygiene was going down the drain. My parents had enough and admitted me to the hospital where I had a mental breakdown and I was admitted. I was diagnosed with major depression while I was there. Even though I acted as if I was happy to all the therapist and doctors so i could go home. Now I struggle with depression everyday. It's really bad at night. Every night I question if I want to be alive to see tomorrow. I found a bottle of Ritalin in my mothers purse and took two 10mg I felt alive and could deal with my fiancé without harming myself. I actually had energy and wanted to leave my bed. So yes! Ritalin is something that you can take for depression! Things that I have problems with while I'm on it is, feeling the need to chainsmoke, and really jittery. That's it. But other wise it's what is saving my life every night.

Edited by gmack123, 20 March 2014 - 12:03 AM.

• gmack123 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users