Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Very Weird Dreams On Effexor

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chiqnina

chiqnina

ID: 23195

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

I have been on effexor for 3 weeks and just recently i have been having very wierd dreams. Most of them involve people from my past who i haven't seen in a very long time. Lots of the dreams involve very weird things happening that don't really piece together. Sometimes the dreams are frightening. Has anyone else expierenced this, is this a side effect, or is something wrong?

#2 dtm

dtm

Platinum Member

ID: 22765

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hi chiqnina

I've been reading a lot of info on Effexor over the last few days, and this seems to be a pretty common side effect.

Have you recently increased your dose? Or did they just start up 3 weeks into your current dose?

#3 chiqnina

chiqnina

ID: 23195

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:57 PM

Hi chiqnina

I've been reading a lot of info on Effexor over the last few days, and this seems to be a pretty common side effect.

Have you recently increased your dose? Or did they just start up 3 weeks into your current dose?

i have increased the dose, it was 2 weeks of taking 1 pill/day, and now it's 2 pills/day. Thank you for responding it is good to know that it is a pretty common side efect.

#4 ecstatichappy

ecstatichappy

ID: 22881

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hi chiqnina,

Though I'm not on Effexor any more (it was working pretty well for me, when, suddenly, it just stopped doing so), I can also attest to having the most bizzare, lucid and yes, sometimes frightening dreams while on it. I mean, all dreams have an element of the fantastic to them but this stuff was in a different league altogether, for me.

I wish I could say that I got used to them or they stopped after the while, but that wasn't my experience the entire time I taking it. I hope yours is different.

I have been on effexor for 3 weeks and just recently i have been having very wierd dreams. Most of them involve people from my past who i haven't seen in a very long time. Lots of the dreams involve very weird things happening that don't really piece together. Sometimes the dreams are frightening. Has anyone else expierenced this, is this a side effect, or is something wrong?

Edited by ecstatichappy, 02 March 2008 - 11:48 PM.

“Man is the only animal for whom his own existence is a problem which he has to solve.” - Eric Fromm

#5 DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix

ID: 23197

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:56 AM

I've only been taking Effexor for a week and a half now so I haven't really had any effects at all from it. But I do know that when I was taking Cipralex (escitalopram) which is in a similar class of drugs (it's an SSRI where Effexor is SSNRI I think) I would have super intense dreams every night. Happy dreams were wonderful and bad dreams were really scary. If I had a bad dream I'd be afraid to go back to sleep...but some days I didn't want to get up because my dreams were so real and so enjoyable I didn't want to go back to the real world. Hopefully most of your intense dreams are the good kind! But if not I totally sympathize with that as well.. and from the research I did when I started having dreams it's a pretty common side effect with AD's, so no worries about that :)

#6 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

ID: 21

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

I've been on efexor for years and the dreams don't stop. Sometimes I get bad dreams but i think that its not us dreaming more, its us being more conscious or remembering them better.
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#7 Juliobenjimino

Juliobenjimino

ID: 23462

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:22 AM

I've only been taking Effexor for a week and a half now so I haven't really had any effects at all from it. But I do know that when I was taking Cipralex (escitalopram) which is in a similar class of drugs (it's an SSRI where Effexor is SSNRI I think) I would have super intense dreams every night. Happy dreams were wonderful and bad dreams were really scary. If I had a bad dream I'd be afraid to go back to sleep...but some days I didn't want to get up because my dreams were so real and so enjoyable I didn't want to go back to the real world. Hopefully most of your intense dreams are the good kind! But if not I totally sympathize with that as well.. and from the research I did when I started having dreams it's a pretty common side effect with AD's, so no worries about that :)

Since the venlafaxine, my dreams have been incredibly real, vivid and intricately-plotted. They have themes, story-lines, twists in the tale and complex plot structures. As a consequence, I've started to get them confused with movies and wondering why no-one else has seen them. This is actually a welcome side-effect; I often have to go back to sleep to 'finish the story off' - I need to know what happens at the end of my dream! However, when they take a scary twist though, I get real night-terrors that take quite a while to shake off. I've learned to live with those.

The human brain - a very odd thing :hearts:

Edited by Juliobenjimino, 09 March 2008 - 06:22 AM.

#8 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

ID: 21

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

the dreams can be amazing and very difficult sometimes to tell if they were really just a dream or a memory.

I enjoy the dreams mostly, except for my awful ex-husband who keeps turning up in them and we've been divorced since 93 and i left him in 91.
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#9 Mars_is_Awesome

Mars_is_Awesome

Just Registered

ID: 39911

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:19 AM

I've been depressed for many years but refused medication until now, just started taking Effexor at the beginning of Aug-09, and BEFORE that, I always recorded my dreams on paper, which I kept right beside my bed, because i'd start to forget the dream(s) immediately after waking up. I believe dreams can tell you things, if nothing else, what your subconscious mind is up to. What you really desire, and so forth. Anyways, I've noticed REALLY funky dreams on Effexor. Just like someone else wrote here, involving people from my past. Random people I haven't thought about for years. Maybe it has something to do with the brain getting 'back on track' as it were, getting more access to itself and memories and the like, I dunno. But on Effexor, I don't care what I dream. I'm convinced these dreams now mean absolutely nothing. They're totally berserk. I often get the feeling while dreaming that I've done something in the dream twice, like I have a dream, and then dream it over again, and I always seem to know what's going to happen in my dreams before it happens. So in that regard, even nightmares aren't that scary, cause I know how they're gonna end. I seem to have way more control in dreams, and get a 'spectator' feeling in some dreams, like I'm not even in the dream, I'm just watching it all happen. Often I have 4 or 5 different dreams in one night, and sometimes there are common factors in every dream, like for instance, in a span of 4 or 5 dreams, even though the dreams were all different and unique, I happened to have rings on the fingers of my left hand in every dream, and throughout the dreams, I 'knew' these rings would be there if I looked. Seems like much more 'lucid' dreaming. Peace and love.

#10 ja4445

ja4445

Advanced Member

ID: 25858

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:38 AM

Hey there I have taken Effexor for about 2 years, I do dream a fair bit, but it always gets worse with a dose change, they seem to settle down then after a few days. Sometimes they can be nasty or very strange, and others silly or funny! Im not sure if you just get used to them! I think time is the best way to tell if they are getting less they could go away! Best of luck :hearts:

#11 Bird2E

Bird2E

ID: 559

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

. . . But on Effexor, I don't care what I dream. I'm convinced these dreams now mean absolutely nothing. They're totally berserk. I often get the feeling while dreaming that I've done something in the dream twice, like I have a dream, and then dream it over again, and I always seem to know what's going to happen in my dreams before it happens. So in that regard, even nightmares aren't that scary, cause I know how they're gonna end. I seem to have way more control in dreams, and get a 'spectator' feeling in some dreams, like I'm not even in the dream, I'm just watching it all happen. Often I have 4 or 5 different dreams in one night, and sometimes there are common factors in every dream, like for instance, in a span of 4 or 5 dreams, even though the dreams were all different and unique, I happened to have rings on the fingers of my left hand in every dream, and throughout the dreams, I 'knew' these rings would be there if I looked. Seems like much more 'lucid' dreaming. Peace and love.

[size="2"]OMG! Me too. Amazing, realistic-ish dreams. But when I think of them while awake I am amzed at how unreal they are. People I know are in them, and familiar places, but everything is different in some ways. My town is laid out differently and the people act differently that they do in "real" life. I can also seem to control them, I am in the dream while also being an observer. I never have nightmares, although sometimes there is a sort of unseen threat factor in some of them. And many are recurring, which is nice when I know it's a threatening one.... I can remove the threat and change the whole outcome I love them!

I read in the CrazyMeds forum that they go away when you stop taking Effexor, and that they are more vivid on XR than on the non-time release kind. I can attest to that. I also had them while on Paxil, but nowhere as realistic and fun.[/
size]

Bird

It is only when we silent the blaring sounds of our daily existence that we can finally hear the whispers of truth that life reveals to us, as it stands knocking on the doorsteps of our hearts.  ~K.T. Jong

I have had a long, long time to come, finally, to the conclusion that I and only I have control of my mind, soul and body. I CAN and have overcome a lot of (poo-poo caca) to get here and every single second has been worth it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users