Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Going back to work after depression

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Camus77

Camus77

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

Hey I was wondering if there was a thread to help people in the work environment. I'm trying to find the confidence to get back into a field that I was once in but my clinical depression never allowed me to fully function in such a field. I'm feeling better these days and I was wondering if there was a thread where I could post with others that have had such problems. If not could someone start one? Hopefully a thread that will people in the creative work environment.

#2 Joanna

Joanna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

Hi Camus77,

Welcome to the Depression Forums! I have just created a new topic for you so that as many people as possible will see your post. I'm sure you will receive a lot of helpful feedback.

Wishing you all the very best.

Joanna
Posted ImagePosted Image Joanna

#3 rehill

rehill

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:29 PM

The best advice I have for you is to take a deep breath, jump in and try what you want to do. :hearts: It can seem intimidating at first, but if you really want to do it, give it a try. If you are concerned that after depression you might not be able to work full time, try starting off part time. The thing is to try. I will soon be going back to work after almost a year off and will be starting back at less than half time, and gradually building up to full time. I'm sure you can be successful at your endeavour.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

#4 Camus77

Camus77

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

The best advice I have for you is to take a deep breath, jump in and try what you want to do. :hearts: It can seem intimidating at first, but if you really want to do it, give it a try. If you are concerned that after depression you might not be able to work full time, try starting off part time. The thing is to try. I will soon be going back to work after almost a year off and will be starting back at less than half time, and gradually building up to full time. I'm sure you can be successful at your endeavour.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

What I fear most is that my potential employer will believe that I should better skills than I actually do. I'm afraid I won't have the writing skills that I used to. My biggest problem was that my insecurities would take me over and I couldn't sleep and then not be able to function the next day.

#5 Joanna

Joanna

• 7,272 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:16 AM

Hi Camus,

I'm just wondering if you are taking any medication at all for your depression/anxiety? If not, this could be something to consider. I also suffer badly from anxiety and although I tried all kinds of natural ways to overcome it, it wasn't until I found the right anti-depressant for me that I was able to get much more of a grip on it.

Going back to work is a really positive step and it's great that you are feeling well enough to move in this direction. But I can well imagine that this is also an anxious time and I really hope you are able to find all the support you need - be that in the form of medication and/or therapy - so that you are able to get through this transition while keeping the worst of your fears at bay. Good luck to you, Camus! And well done for getting this far!

Wishing you all the very best and I hope you'll keep us posted!

Joanna
Posted ImagePosted Image Joanna

#6 BrokenAngel83

BrokenAngel83

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

hi! I know how you feel. Actually...I'm now trying to find a job after owning a successful company that I founded and then slowly ran into the ground. I'm only 24, single, and in debt...so it's very important for me to somehow find a way to hold down a good job. Good luck to you, and I wish I could offer advice.

#7 bonez05

bonez05

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:55 AM

Hi Camus.

I agree with rehill. Maybe start out part time somewhere, or doing temp work. See how it goes and if you're able to cope with it. Then move on to something more permanent. Just make a post in here when you're feeling down on yourself about your work and we can try to help you through! If you're worried about your writing maybe get a book and try to brush up before you start work to give yourself a confidence boost?

#8 troy3335

troy3335

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:16 AM

good luck, I hope it works for you

#9 GIJane

GIJane

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

good luck, I hope it works for you

I agree. If you never try to move forward, where does it leave you? Safe? Just try to make sensible steps, as best you can.

#10 DTy

DTy

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:07 AM

hi
i am happy to read this i you should know that you will find alot of people who will help you and advise you

goodluck

#11 Camus77

Camus77

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

I went to hear an author's reading and covered it for a small newspaper. I interviewed the author over the phone. She was very kind. At work though, I hurt my back and its been hurting or over a week. I've never had back pain for this long before. I recently turned 30 and realized that nothing heals. My feet are always throbbing after work. I'm sure my terrible posture does not help. I've realized how lonely I am lately but I dont' feel like I would be a worthwhile boyfriend to any attractive worthwhile woman. I'm in a ton of debt. Life is just piling up on me. I miss college. The conversations, the ideas, the classes, the understanding professors, being recognized for my ideas and most of all I miss the sex. Great googley moogley, I miss the sex!

#12 50aday

50aday

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:00 PM

I went to hear an author's reading and covered it for a small newspaper. I interviewed the author over the phone. She was very kind. At work though, I hurt my back and its been hurting or over a week. I've never had back pain for this long before. I recently turned 30 and realized that nothing heals. My feet are always throbbing after work. I'm sure my terrible posture does not help. I've realized how lonely I am lately but I dont' feel like I would be a worthwhile boyfriend to any attractive worthwhile woman. I'm in a ton of debt. Life is just piling up on me. I miss college. The conversations, the ideas, the classes, the understanding professors, being recognized for my ideas and most of all I miss the sex. Great googley moogley, I miss the sex!

Get back in work as soon as possible, I know it's hard, take the advice

#13 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

I worked out of my field for a year and a half to see what it would be like. I'm used to working with caring people and I had this horrible assistant manager who has since been demoted, but we really clashed for about the first year. I know I tried to talk to her in a way to let her know that her people skills were less than desirable, as did most of the employees who worked under her. I just don't get this intimidation process she had going on when, in fact, she was the laziest person I ever worked with! She's not doing too hot in her new position, either....

Anyhow, I decided if I could learn new skills there, I could get back into my field and have been there for a week. My head is spinning, but I'm not loosing sleep. I question my ability to concentrate on the note writing part, otherwise, I know I can do the people stuff without any problems, come what may.

I'm thinking I will bring this up with my doc and see what she says. It's important that I'm able to have better recall. I guess it will eventually come together or I'm in big trouble. I went through some tough interviews to get this position, so maybe I'm being negative, but it's scary out there. I figure I don't have anything to loose, and hopefully this will increase my self esteem. I know my self worth took a big beating when I lost my last good job due to the place going under. So did I. I was medicated for depression and gad prior to this happening, and when it fell apart, I just sat down and told myself that I was done in that field.

It's risky, you know? Making a big attempt to do things that came naturally in the past and now you have to have this inner conference due to self doubt is something else.

Love, Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#14 SaxItUp

SaxItUp

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hey I was wondering if there was a thread to help people in the work environment. I'm trying to find the confidence to get back into a field that I was once in but my clinical depression never allowed me to fully function in such a field. I'm feeling better these days and I was wondering if there was a thread where I could post with others that have had such problems. If not could someone start one? Hopefully a thread that will people in the creative work environment.

It was really hard for me to go back to school after my hospital stay, but i called some of my friends and had a sleepover (give me a break, it was ninth grade!). It eased the transition a lot becuase i was able to explain to them what was going on. Good luck!

#15 vangellis

vangellis

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

Hi
I think if you are feeling confident in yourself then go for it. being back in work will make you feel much better in yourself, you will feel you are contributing t life in general, it will also raise your self esteem no end.
good luck to you and well done.
vangellis

#16 biz

biz

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

I am new to all of this. But I would like to tell you it does get easier with time. I was at home for 3 years before I was able to go back to work. I went back a few hours a week to get in the routine of things. After a few months I was up to almost 20 hours a week. It wasn't much but it helped tremendously. I hope all is well. I forgot to say one thing first, I went into counseling first for almost 2 years first. biz

#17 sobking

sobking

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

Good luck

#18 Al T

Al T

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

It must be difficult, but I would think just taking a deep breath and going back, as someone else suggested would be the best thing. I've never had depression, but I am lookig for help for a friend who has it.

Al

#19 Carlamay

Carlamay

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:08 AM

After a month's absence, I went back to work, part time, this past Friday. I was filled wth anxiety and how was I going to be treated upon my return. My fears were normal and I worked my four hours in the afternoon when I am more alive and awake. I'm glad I got that iniital, awkward first day back out of the way. My biggest fear was being bombarded when I walked in the door and that really didn't happen. I kind of figured the first two hours would be a little crazy, just getting back into the routine of things around the office and it was. The rest of the time was really smooth sailing. I was totally exhausted when I got home though. I hadn't been "on" like that for over a month now, but the important thing was I was healthy enough to go back and I do feel better. Life isn't perfect but it is certainly more bearable now for me than it was say in October.

#20 seeker57

seeker57

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

Hello This is my 1st time here ... I had been off work for about 3.5 months and I had no treatment, my G.P. gave me a note but would not do the paperwork for the insurance company, so I had to use my own funds for the time. I finally got a psychiatrist, but because I was out of money, I returned to work 3 weeks ago, full on! My Doc gave me some meds, but now I have completely crashed ... I see my doc again on Monday, I really hope she will support me ... I'm quite scared right now, because if she doesn't help with the insurance co(which I have paid into for over 5 years) I will have to return to work as I am. I work with vulnerable people, it's tough when I am a vulnerable person myself to help them. I have been dealing with bouts of depression for as long as I can remember, but I have always been able to manage on my own, but now it has gotten more than I can handle. Does it get worse with age? Has anyone experienced that? I just had a birthday last week saturday, was the worst of my life. I really hate this. Nobody in my inner circle knows about my depressive tendencies, so it's hard not to have anyone to talk to. Does anyone else feel ashamed of this condition? I really do.

Edited by seeker57, 03 May 2008 - 09:21 PM.

#21 adrum

adrum

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

Hello This is my 1st time here ... I had been off work for about 3.5 months and I had no treatment, my G.P. gave me a note but would not do the paperwork for the insurance company, so I had to use my own funds for the time. I finally got a psychiatrist, but because I was out of money, I returned to work 3 weeks ago, full on! My Doc gave me some meds, but now I have completely crashed ... I see my doc again on Monday, I really hope she will support me ... I'm quite scared right now, because if she doesn't help with the insurance co(which I have paid into for over 5 years) I will have to return to work as I am. I work with vulnerable people, it's tough when I am a vulnerable person myself to help them. I have been dealing with bouts of depression for as long as I can remember, but I have always been able to manage on my own, but now it has gotten more than I can handle. Does it get worse with age? Has anyone experienced that? I just had a birthday last week saturday, was the worst of my life. I really hate this. Nobody in my inner circle knows about my depressive tendencies, so it's hard not to have anyone to talk to. Does anyone else feel ashamed of this condition? I really do.

You're not alone. My entire family has suffered from depression, and of course, it was handed down to me as well. Sometimes I wish genetics had been kinder; why couldn't I be dealing with something like high cholesterol? It just feels like this condition is incurable. I always feel ashamed and embarrassed because of my depression. I feel that even if I do my best to hide it, I wear it on my sleeve. I don't have anyone to talk to about it, because as you probably already know, it's hard for people who don't suffer from it to relate. Usually they give you a pat on the back and say things will get better. They don't. I walk around feeling like an outcast. Watching people laugh and joke and take advantage of life, I feel like I'm in a bubble, outside looking in. I wonder, what they have that I'm missing. I't harder with the passing time. You start reflecting on your life's accomplishments or lacks, and it brings you down. I hate this too. You're not alone.

#22 Girly

Girly

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

You are not alone seeker57. Seeing your Dr on Monday is the right thing to do. Getting help while you are younger is the best thing to do, that way it won't get worse when you get older because the Drs will help you to get better.

Edited by Cowgirl, 04 May 2008 - 03:11 PM.

Girly

"No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou

Diagnosis - Borderline Personality Disorder. Meds - citalopram and olanzapine.

#23 seeker57

seeker57

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

Thank-you for both your comments ... it seems simple but it means a lot. Yesterday, I had an explosive outburst that sent my partner reeling. I tripled up on my clonazepham and that settled things down. My partner has never seen me behave this way before and I have not behaved this way in over ten years, I think things had gone into some remission for awhile, but now it's back in spades ... I may be hospitalized by the end of the day, I'll see what my Doc has to say. I'm glad I found this forum, I will check back often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users