Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Clenching My Jaw On Lexapro

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 croser

croser

ID: 21465

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

I've been on 10mg of Lexapro for a week now and have been clenching my jaw almost constantly it seems. Does anyone know why this happens? Will it go away? It's not that bothersome of a side effect--it could certainly be worse! It's just kind of annoying and I was wondering if anyone had any info on it.

#2 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

Yes, muscle tension, especially in the jaw, neck, and shoulders, is common during the startup phase of an SSRI. I experienced it myself, but it does fade over time. Stay hydrated, breathe deeply, and stretch your jaw and other tense muscles throughout the day.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#3 nicole84

nicole84

ID: 15376

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

I noticed I was grinding my teeth alot more when I took Lexapro too!! Something I already do in my sleep.. OUCH!

#4 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

ID: 21778

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:17 PM

Although I take a different AD I also experience teeth clenching. It is mainly at night time although I catch myself doing it sometimes during the day. I have a special night guard made from the dentist but I spit it out in my sleep. Usually my husband wakes me up. I can almost always tell when I've done it most of the night as my jaw is very sore, like someone punched me. If you can't get a special one made from the dentist you could try WalMart or one of those places and look into their mouth pieces. I wish I would have done that before I paid $300 for mine (that I can't find now). Lessons Learned: if you have a habit of spitting night guard devices out make sure you don't have a Yorkie sleeping next to you. God knows what he has done with it.

Best Wishes,
Lost

#5 croser

croser

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

thanks guys for the replies. i think it's starting to fade a bit ... though the mouth guard idea is a good one, i think i've been grinding my teeth in the night a bit ...

#6 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

ID: 20486

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

Hi Croser--

Bottom line -- if you're prone to grinding or clenching your teeth at night without Lex, you'll likely notice jaw clenching as a side effect. As others have said here, it should pass. Try to relax and stretch the surrounding muscle groups (neck and shoulders). A mouth guard is a GREAT idea should the clenching linger too long for you or become uncomfortable.

HopefulOne

#7 croser

croser

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

thanks for the replies! the jaw clenching during the day is lessening a bit, and i have been wearing a mouth guard at night. i've been taking ib profun (sp?) for the neck and shoulder tenseness and that seems to help, though that has been getting better, too ...

thanks! :hearts:

#8 GimmeGimmeMore

GimmeGimmeMore

ID: 19114

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

I experienced jaw clenching and teeth grinding, as well. It seemed to go away after a few weeks.

#9 dmc

dmc

ID: 21703

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

Jaw clenching, feeling "wired', and feeling that your mind is racing and you're talking way too fast are all side effects that you get when starting to take an ssri. It goes away after a few weeks I found

#10 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

ID: 14398

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

I had some jaw clenching too, when I was on lexapro. It wasnt that bad but I caught myself doing it quite a bit.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#11 MommyMayhem

MommyMayhem

Just Registered

ID: 22469

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:38 AM

I had some jaw clenching too, when I was on lexapro. It wasnt that bad but I caught myself doing it quite a bit.

My clenching never subsided while on Lex (Lex > 2 years, Celexa before that). I've simply tried to make myself more aware of it and relax my mouth as much as possible. It also tends to make my mouth really dry, so I keep a sippee cup nearby at night for hydration. I've also used the oral lubricants but didn't care for those as much.

Good luck!

#12 croser

croser

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:09 AM

Yeah, mine's not really going away, either. Oh well, I'm not torn up about it. It could be a lot worse! Hopefully I don't get cheeks like John McCain, though: he's been clenching his jaw for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users