Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Altered Taste Sensation - Effexor

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

ID: 21778

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

I was bumped up from 75mg Effexor to 150mg about two weeks ago. About a week ago I started having this AWFUL, HORRIBLE taste in my mouth. I tested it yesterday. I am supposed to take Xanax three times a day, but didn't take any, only the Effexor to see which/what was doing it. It was awful!! I drank coffee, soda, had hard candy, brushed my teeth, etc and it would NOT go away. It finally did when I got home and made chicken soup for dinner. So I had this metallic taste for approximatly 10 hours!! Today I have taken the Xanax but not the Effexor and the yuck taste isn't here. So... I can only conclude that it is the Effexor. I'm going to take it tonight before I go to bed so I can HOPEFULLY sleep through it. Like I said, it's like a rusted metal taste or like I went on a really bad drinking binge and woke up with fuzz on my tongue - but there is no fuzz -- I've looked numerous times.

Can anyone else relate to this? If I can't get the taste thing under control I'm going to quit taking it. It is really THAT bad.

As always, thanks in advance for any inputs you may have.

Lost

#2 Tenderheartsks

Tenderheartsks

ID: 23107

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

I can completely identify with that as I had the same thing with the Effexor, and if I even missed one day's dose, it was ten times as bad! Metallic is a perfect way to describe it.

I also had problems with horrible sweating episodes at any given time, and I finally asked to try something else. I was switched over to Paxil.

I'd have to say that Effexor had the worst side effects of any antidepressant I've taken over the years.

#3 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

I can completely identify with that as I had the same thing with the Effexor, and if I even missed one day's dose, it was ten times as bad! Metallic is a perfect way to describe it.

I also had problems with horrible sweating episodes at any given time, and I finally asked to try something else. I was switched over to Paxil.

I'd have to say that Effexor had the worst side effects of any antidepressant I've taken over the years.

So the nasty taste never went away? I can't stand it. I'm to the point of not taking it just to get away from the taste. It didn't do that with the 75mg, but unfortunatly that dosage wasn't high enough and I've only noticed worse feelings since moving up. My anxiety and moods are way worse - but that taste could be the trigger. It is really THAT bad.

Lost

#4 Tenderheartsks

Tenderheartsks

ID: 23107

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:26 PM

If I remember correctly (this has been 6+ years ago), the taste did die down after about two to three weeks on the 150 mg dose, but as I said, should I miss even one dose, it was awful.

It was also like my body's thermostat was screwed up in the summer time. I could go out and do yard work for a bit and be fine. Then boom, I'd literally have sweat pouring down my temples and into my eyes. It was like I had no warning I was starting to get hot.

You might want to be careful when the warmer months roll around and you're outside. Hopefully that funky taste will pass for you.

#5 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

I took it last night and slept through the yuck mouth. It started in a little later in the day (guessing because of the time release) but it wasn't near as bad. I haven't noticed any excessive sweating. I'm a very cold person by nature. I have a circulation disorder in my hands and feet that cause them to turn colors and go numb. So, I would welcome a little more heat but don't see it happening. I even felt a little less anxious today and was able to smile a little more. I'm going to keep up the night-time taking of the Effexor for now. My only concern is taking that, the Ambien and the Xanax all at the same time. My doctor has enforced that I at least take the Xanax with the Ambien because the Ambien didn't work alone - together it works great, and I wake up with no drowsiness by 545am every morning.

I just am praying this taste thing disappears. Its almost like explaining labor and child birth to someone that has never gone through it. Its THAT awful!

Lost

#6 dtm

dtm

Platinum Member

ID: 22765

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:40 AM

I've been taking Effexor for 4 days, and I noticed a reduction in taste sensation the same day I started. Everything seems to taste the same.

I started on 75mg, and up to 150mg on Wednesday next week. Not looking forward to metallic mouth...

Edited by dtm, 01 March 2008 - 01:42 AM.

#7 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

ID: 21

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:25 AM

I've been taking Effexor for 4 days, and I noticed a reduction in taste sensation the same day I started. Everything seems to taste the same.

I started on 75mg, and up to 150mg on Wednesday next week. Not looking forward to metallic mouth...

you won't necessarily get this, everyone is different and what one person experiences another doesn't. Don't go round expecting the worst.
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#8 dtm

dtm

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

you won't necessarily get this, everyone is different and what one person experiences another doesn't. Don't go round expecting the worst.

Sorry. You're right. I have to give this a chance. It's just that this is my fourth AD, and I guess I'm looking for ways to not be disappointed if it doesn't work for me.

Thanks for being so patient.

#9 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

I've been taking it at night the past few days. It has helped tremendously. Every now and again I'll get the taste during the day (time release perhaps?), but nothing like it was. Thank God - trying to describe it is/was like trying to describe the pain of labor - words could not describe it.

lost

#10 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

I lied. It still tastes awful. I take it at night and the mornings are fine. Then it starts again around noonish. It's been 8 1/2 hours, I just ate dinner and I can still taste it.

#11 dtm

dtm

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:07 AM

I lied. It still tastes awful. I take it at night and the mornings are fine. Then it starts again around noonish. It's been 8 1/2 hours, I just ate dinner and I can still taste it.

What dose are you on? I'm up to 150mg tomorrow. My taste has recovered from the initial 75mg blast. I actually didn't feel any side effects at all today.

Edit : Forget that question. Just noticed it's your thread, and that you're on 150mg :hearts:

Edited by dtm, 04 March 2008 - 05:28 PM.

#12 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:00 PM

What dose are you on? I'm up to 150mg tomorrow. My taste has recovered from the initial 75mg blast. I actually didn't feel any side effects at all today.

Edit : Forget that question. Just noticed it's your thread, and that you're on 150mg :hearts:

No problem. I've been on 150mg for about 5 weeks now. The taste thing comes and goes. Yesterday was HORRIBLE. Today was fine. It gets so bad that it makes me feel physically sick. I go back to the pdoc next week and will discuss it with him. As bad as it is I'm really surprised I'm the only one that has posted about it or experienced it. Its just awful!
I sincerely hope you don't have to experience it.

lost

#13 dtm

dtm

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:39 AM

Hi lost

Just wondering if the yukkie taste has abated at all?

How are you finding the Efexor otherwise? Is it helping yet?

dtm

#14 nicole84

nicole84

ID: 15376

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

I just stumbled across this and reminds me of when I came off Efexor... I had the worst taste I wanted to vomit and couldn't get rid of it. Took a good few days and I had no idea what it was, thought it was a mouth infection or something but now I reckon it was the meds!

#15 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

I've been totally off the Effexor now for about 6 weeks. My taste buds are back thank God. I no longer take any AD's as my body has a diffifult time with them.

Hope all is well,
Lost

#16 swinn

swinn

ID: 67

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

I recently had to increase my effexor to 75mg. It's been 4 weeks and I can't stand to eat. I am so sick it's awful. Everything tastes terrible. It hasn't helped my depression and I'm so tired I don't want to do anything. I was going to call the doc yesterday but didn't. He had told me we're running out of options for me. I've tried just about every anti-depressant. I'm so depressed. I don't know what to do.

Sally
Sally

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users