Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Many Mg Of Citalopram Did Your Doctor Start You On?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: How many mg did your doctor start you on Citalopram? (275 member(s) have cast votes)

Citalopram

1. Voted 10 mg (121 votes [43.68%])

Percentage of vote: 43.68%

2. 20 mg (137 votes [49.46%])

Percentage of vote: 49.46%

3. 40 mg (18 votes [6.50%])

Percentage of vote: 6.50%

4. 60 mg (1 votes [0.36%])

Percentage of vote: 0.36%

5. more than 60 mg (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 cotton candy

cotton candy

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

I went from 25 mg Zoloft to 10 mg Celexa and am still taking that dosage now. My doc said the 10 mg essentially equaled the 25. I needed 100 mg Zoloft for it to work well so I'm guessing I'd do best at 40 mg ... oh well

#42 crystalangel

crystalangel

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

My dr started me with 20mg and it's been nearly 3 wks. I must admit that i can diffinitely feel one of the side effects, every time i drink my water i feel very nausea :hearts:

#43 depressed_guy86

depressed_guy86

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

hey guys my doctor started me with the 20mg dosage of the generic celexa. i just started taking generic celexa two days ago and so far i dont feel anything except for the numerous side effects, so im hoping the meds kick in soon. Hang in there.
james
Johnny boy always played the fool, he broke all the rules so you would think he was cool.
He was never really one of the guys no matter how hard he tried, with the thought of suicide
It's kinda hard when you ain't got no friends, he put his life to an end they might remember him then.
You cross a line and there is no turnin back he told the world how he felt with the sound of a gat.

#44 helena gray

helena gray

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

hi tropicana, im not a doctor but i think that was a high dose to start with. personaly i found 10mgs hard to tolerate. i was inreased to 60mgs ver slowly and i found i couldnt function with nausea. i even dented my car trying to park it. so i came back to 40mgs. when i was explaning this to my doc. i was told thinks like, drink milk, take them at night and after food or take 20mgs at night and 20mgs in the morning. they are deffinatly hard meds to take at the start. but they realy helped me in my life. talk to your doctor, get the balance right and you'll soon feel much better. it can be scary when you first start on these meds so the slower the better, take :hearts: time to adjust and tolerate them. best of luck.

Hi I am new to this site so I don't know if I am doing this right. I was just put on Celexa 10mg. I have been on it for 2 days now. I still feel lousy, in fact I felt a little better yesterday. I am anxious even with the 25mg Xanax. Maybe I am expecting to much. How long before you start to feel good. are some days more anxious that others. I had horrible nausea the first night because I didn't take it with food. But now the nausea is gone.
What other side effects make it hard at first

#45 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

hi tropicana, im not a doctor but i think that was a high dose to start with. personaly i found 10mgs hard to tolerate. i was inreased to 60mgs ver slowly and i found i couldnt function with nausea. i even dented my car trying to park it. so i came back to 40mgs. when i was explaning this to my doc. i was told thinks like, drink milk, take them at night and after food or take 20mgs at night and 20mgs in the morning. they are deffinatly hard meds to take at the start. but they realy helped me in my life. talk to your doctor, get the balance right and you'll soon feel much better. it can be scary when you first start on these meds so the slower the better, take :flowers: time to adjust and tolerate them. best of luck.

Hi I am new to this site so I don't know if I am doing this right. I was just put on Celexa 10mg. I have been on it for 2 days now. I still feel lousy, in fact I felt a little better yesterday. I am anxious even with the 25mg Xanax. Maybe I am expecting to much. How long before you start to feel good. are some days more anxious that others. I had horrible nausea the first night because I didn't take it with food. But now the nausea is gone.
What other side effects make it hard at first

Hi Helena :hearts:

You're doing it right so don't worry. If you don't want to include someone else's message with your own, go right to the bottom of the page and click 'Add Reply' and you'll get your own box.
Celexa can be a bumpy ride to start up. It usually takes 6-8 weeks to kick in fully and the side effects can be less than pleasant. The initial anxiety that it causes should go away within a couple of weeks but of course everyone is different. I also had nausea when I started, in fact I actually vomited but I did have a bug at the time too.
There are many different side effects - too many to list here, but of course you may get none of them as some people take to it easier than others.
I found that dizziness was a problem initially but the real thing was that I felt like a zombie for about 6/7 weeks. I couldn't really do much of anything and felt tired all the time. Then one day it just left and I started to feel like a human again.
It does work for my depression though and I'm on a much higher dose than you so the effects were probably worse for me.
Good luck.

PRT xx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#46 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

10mg!! It took 40 mgs and 8 weeks later to be really effective - it was great then.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#47 Fender

Fender

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:41 AM

I started on 20mg years ago.....Now I'm on 80mg of Cipramil a day!!!!! It seems way to high.....It works for me but i still have trouble with concentration and sometimes feel low in energy.....

#48 sahdgirl

sahdgirl

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

I am weaning off zoloft so my doctor started me on 20mg celexa while I am on 50mg zoloft (down from 75)- it has only been 2 days but I am hoping for good results. I felt like the zoloft was not helping me at all.

#49 scout10

scout10

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

I started on 20 mg's of Lex 5 weeks ago. It seems to be perfect. I haven't felt this good in 4 years. I wish I had gotten help sooner.

#50 Beebs

Beebs

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

I started on 20 mg's of Lex 5 weeks ago. It seems to be perfect. I haven't felt this good in 4 years. I wish I had gotten help sooner.

Ohhhhh that is so good to hear, my GP has just swapped me from 50mg of zoloft to 20mg citaloprom.... so I really hope it works for me. I was on fluoextine for over 5years. I so worried about how I'm going to feel..... when is best time to take it morning or evening?

#51 margaret

margaret

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:25 AM

I am on Mirtazapine 30g but am been weaned off and onto Lexapro 10gm.
I found I was to tired and irritable on the other.
See how I go.

#52 BCFan75

BCFan75

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:27 AM

I was started on 10 mg. Now up to 20 mg with 150mg Wellbutrin.
Be strong, things will get better.

#53 gucci son

gucci son

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

I was started on 10 mg. Now up to 20 mg with 150mg Wellbutrin.

i started at 10mg's and then went up to 20mg. with .50mg of xanex at night. All is well!
Life and depression is like a game of Chess......

#54 Strat1982

Strat1982

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:50 AM

I started on 20 mg, but I was hit with almost immediate dizziness, nausea, drowsiness, and dry mouth. A couple hours later, I ended up vomiting and spent most of the night in the bathrrom. I guess my tolerance is pretty low, but I moved myself down to 10mg, and so far its been pretty good, aside from mild nausea.

I had the exact same experiance. He strange thing is. I was on 40 mg about 3 yes ago and stuidly took myself off them when I thought I didn't need them. Now 3 years down the line it seems that even 20 mg is to much for the side effects so I've reducedmy dose to 10 the only thing is that a low dose may have no impact on the illness at all and will just give you side effects. I would be interested to know becase it was something I read??

#55 Bribarian

Bribarian

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:44 AM

I find Lexapro to be extremely potent, so for me, I've decided to not go up or down more than 2.5mgs at a time.

Any more and I seem to have really bad side effects.
Panic Disorder/GAD/OCD/Clinical Depression

300mg Effexor XR 50mg Seroquel 1mg ativan PRN

#56 Aniela

Aniela

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

I started on 5mg and now I'm on 20mg after 6 months. I've also been prescribed 'Mirap' (mirtazapine) which helps my sleep and smooths out things during the daytime, although I do feel a bit groggy in the morning

Same with me cept 10 mg Cipralex and 15 mg Mirtazapine because of sleep issues
I try to be strong and not let them see my vulnerability.
I have a chronic need for approval but am told it's not about me.
I really want to belong somewhere and just to be happy....
To be wanted by those around me, especially friends and family.

#57 Tender Soul

Tender Soul

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:52 PM

Hi. I started with 10 mg Cipralex, after a week 15 mg, and now 10 mg again because i will stop it(my pdoc will stop it). My pdoc will try another AD on me.
~~~There is no easy way to be a good human~~~
The psychiatry is the fastest-developing domain in the medicine. - my GP

#58 Fallout3

Fallout3

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hello

My first week Citalopram 20mg to start no big changes yet, side effects dry mouth and I can't finish the race wink wink , I know I need to be patient and I will try.

#59 MissYou009

MissYou009

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

I'm on 10mg Citalopram to increase to 20 in about a week (or sooner if the side effects don't bother me).
Previous Diagnoses: Adjustment disorder w/a depressed mood, GAD, OCD.
Previous meds: Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Lamictal, Zyprexa, Depakote, gabapentin, Geodon.

New Diagnoses: Bipolar II, OCD
New meds: Seroquel XR 200mg , Lexapro 20mg.

#60 nahin

nahin

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

I started out on 10mg / day for a week. Then up to 20mg. After about 2months I'm now up to 40mg.
Still has no effect on me, other than the fact that I now can cry. And I can do so with tears (rare for me).

I'm gonna go on 40mg for a month now. If there is no effect, I'm going for 50 and eventually 60. Just hope I get any effect from it.
And I saw that wisdom excels folly as light excels darkness. The wise man's eyes are in his head, but the fool walks in darkness. And yet I know that one fate befalls them both. - Ecclesiastes 2:13-14

#61 hocico

hocico

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

I started on 10mg for 2 weeks and Ive been on 20mg for (5?) weeks now , it has settled out now and is really helping with my anxiety.
Do not wait for extraordinary circumstances to do good; try to use ordinary situations. - Jean Paul Richter
Democracy no longer works for the poor if politicians treat them as a separate race - Frank Field

#62 Smileyface

Smileyface

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:18 AM

Hi I started on 10mg for 6 weeks and I am now to increase to 20 mg a day.

#63 gecko7

gecko7

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:04 AM

I was started out on 10mg yesterday because I am on the small side. I go back in 1 month and may go up.
Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Henry David Thoreau

#64 imperfectsilence

imperfectsilence

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

I was started on 10mg, went up to 30mg after a month which was increased to 40mg 3 weeks ago...and I feel no different than when I was on no medication at all!

#65 Nibs

Nibs

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

10 mg, I am feeling nothing besides some drowsiness :( Ive been on it for 3 weeks... :(

#66 MissYou009

MissYou009

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

I lasted 2 weeks on Citalopram...the side effects were horrible!

I then was put on Zoloft, and then Effexor...and then I was diagnosed with Bipolar II so I was put on a mood stabilizer to get me sorted out before adding an AD again.

I started Lexapro a week ago at 10mg, and have now moved up to 20mg which is where my pdoc plans on keeping me. It has way less side effects for me than Celexa or any of the others did (probably because I'm now on a mood stabilzier)...although Celexa made me lose my appetite and about 5 pounds along with making me so tired I could barely function, and Zoloft caused a lot of nausea, and those side effects have nothing to do with needing a mood stabilizer.
Previous Diagnoses: Adjustment disorder w/a depressed mood, GAD, OCD.
Previous meds: Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Lamictal, Zyprexa, Depakote, gabapentin, Geodon.

New Diagnoses: Bipolar II, OCD
New meds: Seroquel XR 200mg , Lexapro 20mg.

#67 Smileyface

Smileyface

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hi

I started on 10mg of citalopram for 6 weeks, then i increased to 20mg after a further 2 weeks and I am now on 30mg with 150mg Doselupin.

I am still having terrible side effects from the citalopram but mentaly feel a lot better.

#68 browri

browri

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

Generally speaking. whatever does you take of Celexa, your equivalent Lexapro dose is USUALLY half of that. If you take 40mg, your Lexapro dose is probably 20mg. I was started on 10mg of Celexa and now I'm at 20mg. But I'm seeing a psychiatrist in September and I might have that bumped up and add Wellbutrin to deal with the drowsiness and lethargy.

#69 modestmouse_2011

modestmouse_2011

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

10 mg I think, still have the prescription so I haven't started taking them yet...

"I want you to be everything that's you, deep at the center of your being." -Confucius

#70 emc

emc

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:23 AM

This is my first post so I hope it's ok to dive straight in. I was started on 20mg a day and then increased to 40mg afew weeks later. It does take some getting used to and didn't work for me but I have heard lots of successful stories about it.

#71 de Selby

de Selby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

My doctor started me on 20mg. That was seven years ago. Since then my dose has varied from 10-40mg. I was lucky enough not to experience any side effects when taking them. I've recently tapered off, under doc's supervision, and am not using anymore. I don't think they really did me any good. Even though I tapered off gently, I still suffered from brain zaps for over a month after my last dose. I don't feel any worse since I was taking them and at least I'm saving a bit of money. I should say, however, that I have had counselling and have learnt some strategies to deal with my anxiety, which may explain why I am coping without the meds.

Edited by stevenbrown80, 13 October 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#72 Chad33

Chad33

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:17 AM

Started on 5mg and upped the dosage to 10mg after 2 weeks.

#73 zach626

zach626

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

Started 10mg Celexa (Torrent generic) yesterday as well as Xanax XR 1mg to help with my anxiety until the Celexa starts working. These are both in addition to the Wellbutrin XL 150mg (Watson generic) I've already been on for a bit under 3 weeks.

#74 Moonstone91

Moonstone91

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

I was started on 10mg of Citalopram and will be moving to 20mg on day 15.

#75 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

I was started on Celexa at 10mgs and then increased to 20mgs
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#76 Therados

Therados

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

I was on 40mg for a long time, then i stopped taking medicines completely. Now i am wanting to start back on them again, but i am not sure if 40mg would be the wise choice, or if i should start off lower, i know i will end up working my way up to 40mg though.
I guess if it doesn't make me feel ill or anything, ill stick with 40mg.

#77 T on C

T on C

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

Started 20 mg Oct 31, moving up to 40 mg tomorrow. I hope the side effects are easier on me this time around.

goldenvelope1jr.gifdiamondstar.gif There's people in my bowl...
Current Meds: Propranolol, Lithium, Haloperidol, Norvasc, Zoloft, Zaleplon
Up to date diagnosis: PTSD, BP1, MDD with psychotic features

#78 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

I was on 40mg for a long time, then i stopped taking medicines completely. Now i am wanting to start back on them again, but i am not sure if 40mg would be the wise choice, or if i should start off lower, i know i will end up working my way up to 40mg though.
I guess if it doesn't make me feel ill or anything, ill stick with 40mg.

I went off citalopram for a year and started back on 20 mg in October. It was rough going for the first week or so (nausea). I advise you to start low and go slow.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. The information provided by me is intended purely for entertainment purposes.

#79 Lily100

Lily100

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

I started on 10mg for two weeks and then was put on 20mg for a month. I am now on 40mg for the last 4 months but in the last three weeks I have found that they are not working for me anymore. I am not sure if this is just an episode that will pass and I will be fine again. First time on antidepressants so I am still unsure on what exactly to expect.

#80 peachesmary6

peachesmary6

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

I was started on 20 and moved up to 40.mg

My Diagnoses:

anxiety disorder, Borderline personality disorder, ADHD, Treatment resistant major depression,aspbergers, dystemia, etc.

My Current meds: none

My Previous meds:
Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, pamalor,
welbutrin, trazadone, Buspar , can't remember all the names to many.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users