Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tropicana

How Many Mg Of Citalopram Did Your Doctor Start You On?

How many mg did your doctor start you on Citalopram?   278 members have voted

1. 1. Citalopram

• 10 mg
    • 20 mg
    • 40 mg
    • 60 mg
    • more than 60 mg

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

100 posts in this topic

Posted

My doctor told me that she always started her patients on 20mg, so that's where I started. It wasn't working for me as well as it should have been, so my dosage was raised to 40mg. There is still no change in how effective it is, so I'm probably going to switch over to a different medication.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I'm pretty sure I was started on 10mg for like 2 days then up to 20mg for about a month , it stopped working so now I am up to 30mg/day.

Posted

I started off taking 10mg (which I don', then after about 3 months went up to 20mg, then up to 40mg, then back down to 20 which made me reeeally ill! Then back up and then I hopped over to the Sertraline bus..

Posted

10, 20 30 now 40

Posted

20mg. Just moved to 40mg after 8 weeks. Did this make anyone ill?

Posted

I started on 40mg but just took two, oops, any one any idea what migth happen is aniything?

Posted

it seemed to really hit me, so i had to start on 5mg, then 10, then sometimes 15mg, 20, 30, 40

Posted (edited)

i wouldnt go frm 20 to 40 without going via 30.

if you take two then i guess u would feel abit ill.

Edited by lizzy100

Posted

Started on 20 mg.

Posted

I was started on 10mg citalopram which I have been on for two weeks so far after being on 20mg fluoxetine which was making me worse

Posted

they started me at 10mgs for the first week and now I am up to 20mgs...should be staying there

Posted

Hi, I started on 10mg and ended up on 40mg for 2 years..Weaned off, got depressed restarted on 40mg did not work switched to Prozac

Jim Bow

Posted

I was started on 10mg citalopram which I have been on for two weeks so far after being on 20mg fluoxetine which was making me worse

Just to update I am now on 20mg, doctor said he started me on "a smaller" 10mg dose to make sure it wouldnt make me worse like the fluoxetine did and 20mg is apparently a "normal" dose

Posted

i started on 20mg

Posted

Hi,

I started on 10mg and ended up on 40mg very effective as well

Jim Bow

Posted

I went from 25 mg Zoloft to 10 mg Celexa and am still taking that dosage now. My doc said the 10 mg essentially equaled the 25. I needed 100 mg Zoloft for it to work well so I'm guessing I'd do best at 40 mg ... oh well

Posted

My dr started me with 20mg and it's been nearly 3 wks. I must admit that i can diffinitely feel one of the side effects, every time i drink my water i feel very nausea :hearts:

Posted

hey guys my doctor started me with the 20mg dosage of the generic celexa. i just started taking generic celexa two days ago and so far i dont feel anything except for the numerous side effects, so im hoping the meds kick in soon. Hang in there.

james

Posted

hi tropicana, im not a doctor but i think that was a high dose to start with. personaly i found 10mgs hard to tolerate. i was inreased to 60mgs ver slowly and i found i couldnt function with nausea. i even dented my car trying to park it. so i came back to 40mgs. when i was explaning this to my doc. i was told thinks like, drink milk, take them at night and after food or take 20mgs at night and 20mgs in the morning. they are deffinatly hard meds to take at the start. but they realy helped me in my life. talk to your doctor, get the balance right and you'll soon feel much better. it can be scary when you first start on these meds so the slower the better, take :hearts: time to adjust and tolerate them. best of luck.

Hi I am new to this site so I don't know if I am doing this right. I was just put on Celexa 10mg. I have been on it for 2 days now. I still feel lousy, in fact I felt a little better yesterday. I am anxious even with the 25mg Xanax. Maybe I am expecting to much. How long before you start to feel good. are some days more anxious that others. I had horrible nausea the first night because I didn't take it with food. But now the nausea is gone.

What other side effects make it hard at first

Posted

hi tropicana, im not a doctor but i think that was a high dose to start with. personaly i found 10mgs hard to tolerate. i was inreased to 60mgs ver slowly and i found i couldnt function with nausea. i even dented my car trying to park it. so i came back to 40mgs. when i was explaning this to my doc. i was told thinks like, drink milk, take them at night and after food or take 20mgs at night and 20mgs in the morning. they are deffinatly hard meds to take at the start. but they realy helped me in my life. talk to your doctor, get the balance right and you'll soon feel much better. it can be scary when you first start on these meds so the slower the better, take :flowers: time to adjust and tolerate them. best of luck.

Hi I am new to this site so I don't know if I am doing this right. I was just put on Celexa 10mg. I have been on it for 2 days now. I still feel lousy, in fact I felt a little better yesterday. I am anxious even with the 25mg Xanax. Maybe I am expecting to much. How long before you start to feel good. are some days more anxious that others. I had horrible nausea the first night because I didn't take it with food. But now the nausea is gone.

What other side effects make it hard at first

Hi Helena :hearts:

You're doing it right so don't worry. If you don't want to include someone else's message with your own, go right to the bottom of the page and click 'Add Reply' and you'll get your own box.

Celexa can be a bumpy ride to start up. It usually takes 6-8 weeks to kick in fully and the side effects can be less than pleasant. The initial anxiety that it causes should go away within a couple of weeks but of course everyone is different. I also had nausea when I started, in fact I actually vomited but I did have a bug at the time too.

There are many different side effects - too many to list here, but of course you may get none of them as some people take to it easier than others.

I found that dizziness was a problem initially but the real thing was that I felt like a zombie for about 6/7 weeks. I couldn't really do much of anything and felt tired all the time. Then one day it just left and I started to feel like a human again.

It does work for my depression though and I'm on a much higher dose than you so the effects were probably worse for me.

Good luck.

PRT xx

Posted

10mg!! It took 40 mgs and 8 weeks later to be really effective - it was great then.

Posted

I started on 20mg years ago.....Now I'm on 80mg of Cipramil a day!!!!! It seems way to high.....It works for me but i still have trouble with concentration and sometimes feel low in energy.....

Posted

I am weaning off zoloft so my doctor started me on 20mg celexa while I am on 50mg zoloft (down from 75)- it has only been 2 days but I am hoping for good results. I felt like the zoloft was not helping me at all.

Posted

I started on 20 mg's of Lex 5 weeks ago. It seems to be perfect. I haven't felt this good in 4 years. I wish I had gotten help sooner.

Posted

I started on 20 mg's of Lex 5 weeks ago. It seems to be perfect. I haven't felt this good in 4 years. I wish I had gotten help sooner.

Ohhhhh that is so good to hear, my GP has just swapped me from 50mg of zoloft to 20mg citaloprom.... so I really hope it works for me. I was on fluoextine for over 5years. I so worried about how I'm going to feel..... when is best time to take it morning or evening?