Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Many Mg Of Citalopram Did Your Doctor Start You On?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: How many mg did your doctor start you on Citalopram? (275 member(s) have cast votes)

Citalopram

1. Voted 10 mg (121 votes [43.68%])

Percentage of vote: 43.68%

2. 20 mg (137 votes [49.46%])

Percentage of vote: 49.46%

3. 40 mg (18 votes [6.50%])

Percentage of vote: 6.50%

4. 60 mg (1 votes [0.36%])

Percentage of vote: 0.36%

5. more than 60 mg (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 tropicana

tropicana

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

My psychiatrist started me on 40 mg a day. I had an incidence lastnight that's making think 40 mg is too much for me. I don't think I can tolerate it.
"To help another person grow is at least to help him to care for something or someone apart from himself, and it involves encouraging and assisting him to find and create areas of his own in which he is able to care...."

#2 hellnbak

hellnbak

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:08 PM

I was started on 20mg's/day which was increased to 40mg's/day after about 6 months. If you have a question about your meds then it's important you talk to your doctor asap

So long as we are loved by others I should say that we are almost indispensable; and no man is useless while he has a friend.

Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted Image

Love is the only sane and satifactory answer to the problem of human existence
Erich Fromm

#3 daisychain

daisychain

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

I started on 5, then 10, then 20, now 30. My gp is not keen at all on upping dosage.
Posted ImagePosted Image

I’ve learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

#4 flowergal

flowergal

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:49 AM

I started at 20 and after 2.5 months I went up to 30. 40 sounds high to be starting out with.

#5 zhanghm

zhanghm

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

I started on 20 mg, but I was hit with almost immediate dizziness, nausea, drowsiness, and dry mouth. A couple hours later, I ended up vomiting and spent most of the night in the bathrrom. I guess my tolerance is pretty low, but I moved myself down to 10mg, and so far its been pretty good, aside from mild nausea.

#6 dondi2538

dondi2538

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:52 PM

I started on 20mg a day but the psych said I could take 40 if I felt I needed it. He also upped it to 60 after he learned of my suicide attempt, but only if I needed it. I wonder about this doc sometimes. He sort of acts like he wants me to decide what I want to take and how much of it I want to take. I'm not a doctor. I wonder what he'll say when he finds out I stopped taking it altogether.

#7 bunkee

bunkee

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

I started on 20 and then was upped to 30. My doc said 30 was the upper end of the theraputic amount. ??

#8 fingaz

fingaz

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

My doctor started me on 20 mg when i was on lexapro, it was supposed to help with my anxiety but it didn't work very well, so i was only on it for 6 months before i switched med's.

#9 trishak

trishak

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:43 AM

hi tropicana, im not a doctor but i think that was a high dose to start with. personaly i found 10mgs hard to tolerate. i was inreased to 60mgs ver slowly and i found i couldnt function with nausea. i even dented my car trying to park it. so i came back to 40mgs. when i was explaning this to my doc. i was told thinks like, drink milk, take them at night and after food or take 20mgs at night and 20mgs in the morning. they are deffinatly hard meds to take at the start. but they realy helped me in my life. talk to your doctor, get the balance right and you'll soon feel much better. it can be scary when you first start on these meds so the slower the better, take :hearts: time to adjust and tolerate them. best of luck.

#10 dmc

dmc

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:08 AM

I started on 5mg and now I'm on 20mg after 6 months. I've also been prescribed 'Mirap' (mirtazapine) which helps my sleep and smooths out things during the daytime, although I do feel a bit groggy in the morning

#11 jnnelyn

jnnelyn

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

My psychiatrist started me on 40 mg a day. I had an incidence lastnight that's making think 40 mg is too much for me. I don't think I can tolerate it.

I was also started at 40. My doc told me to take it at bed time so that I wouldnt be a walking zombie during the day. I was diagnosed with severe depression. That was back in 2006. I took celexa for a little over a year at that dosage. Made me feel ok except for the fact that I have gained 40 pounds. I now take cymbalta and am trying to wean off of it. I am not sure if I was just started way too high or what. Good luck to you!

#12 BearsTrail

BearsTrail

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

I started at 10 mg of Lexapro about a year ago. After 6 months it was up to 20mg. Now I'm spending my first week at 30 and the mornings have been pretty tough, especially with the DST change. I'm not a morning person, and going back to waking up in the dark was very draining. The sexual side effects are becoming very prominent again as well. I don't know where I'm going if this doesn't work. I doubt 40 since dosages over 30 did not show a great response over 20 anyway. Then i get to go through some withdrawls and try something else. yaaaaaay! :hearts: :shocked: :bump: :hearts:

#13 surreygirl

surreygirl

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:42 AM

I started on 40mg but I think that's because I was transferred right over from Prozac 40mg (which I'd orginally started on 20mg I think). I was having trouble sleeping and the doc said it might be the meds and that Citalopram would be better. However, after being on that for a few years, I have changed back. I took an OD a few months ago (first in 3 years!) and the Psychiatrist couldnt understand why my GP had put me on Citalopram. So he got me to switch back to Prozac. I get confused with all these mixed messages. Who is right? What's what? As if we aren't overwhelmed enough!!!

#14 Hermitess

Hermitess

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

I went from 20 to 40 to 60 within a few months. Still not sure I'm getting much positive effect. I have to take Klonopin along with it because I have so much anxiety and agitation. The agitation is largely caused by the Celexa (I've experienced it with all of the ADs I've tried). I don't know....I know I've never been able to find any kind of peace or happiness when I wasn't on medication, but I'm not finding it now either. Just makes me wonder if these are the right meds, or if there's really an answer at all. Something to make my life more than just survival. I'm going to go crawl into bed now. Night.
Major (Agitated) Depression, GAD w/OC tendencies, SA, ADHD

#15 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:01 AM

The typical therapeutic range seems to be 20-40mg Celexa/citalopram or 10-20mg Lexapro/escitalopram, although some people have better success outside that range.

When I first started ADs, my doctor started me at 10mg Lexapro, then 20mg after one week. It was very effective at alleviating my depression and anxiety, but left me feeling numb and lethargic, so I stopped after about 3 months. Several months later, I tried Celexa, but just 10mg to start, and 20mg after a week. That seems to be a better balance for me, enough to treat my depression and anxiety without numbing me. I also take Wellbutrin, which is more activating.

Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#16 Chester Cheetoh

Chester Cheetoh

Silver Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

i started at 20mg Celexa.

that was switched to 10mg Lexapro

which then got upped to 20 and now I'm at 30 Lexapro

#17 Shadow_0084

Shadow_0084

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

I was started on 20 but then moved up to 40. But this is also my second time taking this stuff.

#18 Kristi

Kristi

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

I am taking 20 Mgs a day, but before I was on Prozac 20 Mgs a day(but that was more then two years ago). I have been taking Citalopram for almost 2 months now.

#19 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:48 AM

10mg.

Some people will tell you 5mg is enough for them to start on, never mind 40.
Beating depression since 2007

#20 cutehobbit

cutehobbit

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

started on 20mg now up to 30mg as was still getting mood swings
:hearts: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: etc
CuteHobbit Bellydancer
A shimmy solves everything

#21 ricky59

ricky59

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:55 AM

I started on 10 and ended up on 20 which was where I stayed until I tapered off completely. Now it looks like I have to go back on :(
still trying to attain my hearts desire

#22 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:15 PM

I have been on Celexa for atleast 5 years. I started at 20 mgs. My current doseage is 30 mgs, but I have been up to 60 mgs.

:hearts:
Katie

#23 Nole

Nole

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

Started on 10mg of Lex 8 weeks ago, still on 10mg.

#24 Torchwood

Torchwood

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

I was started on Cipralex 10mg and just had my dose upped to 20mg

Torch xxx
Clare

I dont know whats right or whats real anymore, i dont know how i'm meant to feel anymore - Lily Allen

Insanity Is Hereditary - You Get It From Your Kids!

Current DX Borderline and Avoidant PD'S mixed and Bipolar II
Meds - Seroquel and Escitalopram

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 ja4445

ja4445

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

I started on 20mg of citalopram and upped to 40mg after about 6 weeks! It didnt work for me so had to change to other AD's!

#26 Yakshini

Yakshini

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

My doctor told me that she always started her patients on 20mg, so that's where I started. It wasn't working for me as well as it should have been, so my dosage was raised to 40mg. There is still no change in how effective it is, so I'm probably going to switch over to a different medication.
Though my heart harbours love songs, they are crippled and insane...

#27 KLeah

KLeah

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

I'm pretty sure I was started on 10mg for like 2 days then up to 20mg for about a month , it stopped working so now I am up to 30mg/day.

#28 jadio

jadio

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:14 AM

I started off taking 10mg (which I don', then after about 3 months went up to 20mg, then up to 40mg, then back down to 20 which made me reeeally ill! Then back up and then I hopped over to the Sertraline bus..

#29 chel

chel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

10, 20 30 now 40

#30 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:32 AM

20mg. Just moved to 40mg after 8 weeks. Did this make anyone ill?
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#31 Done

Done

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

I started on 40mg but just took two, oops, any one any idea what migth happen is aniything?

#32 lizzy100

lizzy100

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:09 AM

it seemed to really hit me, so i had to start on 5mg, then 10, then sometimes 15mg, 20, 30, 40

#33 lizzy100

lizzy100

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:11 AM

i wouldnt go frm 20 to 40 without going via 30.
if you take two then i guess u would feel abit ill.

Edited by lizzy100, 13 April 2009 - 04:11 AM.

#34 Tropical24

Tropical24

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

Started on 20 mg.

#35 x_Spencer_x

x_Spencer_x

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

I was started on 10mg citalopram which I have been on for two weeks so far after being on 20mg fluoxetine which was making me worse

#36 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

• Platinum Member
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

they started me at 10mgs for the first week and now I am up to 20mgs...should be staying there
Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

#37 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:02 AM

Hi, I started on 10mg and ended up on 40mg for 2 years..Weaned off, got depressed restarted on 40mg did not work switched to Prozac

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#38 x_Spencer_x

x_Spencer_x

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

I was started on 10mg citalopram which I have been on for two weeks so far after being on 20mg fluoxetine which was making me worse

Just to update I am now on 20mg, doctor said he started me on "a smaller" 10mg dose to make sure it wouldnt make me worse like the fluoxetine did and 20mg is apparently a "normal" dose

#39 too_broken_to_belong

too_broken_to_belong

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

i started on 20mg
As the yellow moon to the darkest night
Turns to raging fire
The road it bends and the darkness spins
To voices in the choir

#40 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

Hi,

I started on 10mg and ended up on 40mg very effective as well

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users