Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Does Anyone Have Anxiety All Day?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 amiok123

amiok123

ID: 22739

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

I'm on Paxil, but I am still anxious all day. I have to take Xanax 3 times a day (1mg) just to feel "normal", without it I am a wreck and feel like I can't move.
~M

dx: Panic Disorder, Chronic Depression, GAD

#2 amiok123

amiok123

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

I'm on Paxil, but I am still anxious all day. I have to take Xanax 3 times a day (1mg) just to feel "normal", without it I am a wreck and feel like I can't move.

Forgot to add, without the Paxil, I get severe panic attacks every night...the Paxil helps with those at least.
~M

#3 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:01 AM

I had panic disorder and meds helped lots, but it took that and a steady dose of ativan to keep me calm for about 7mo. It sounds like you are concerned about taking a benzo. My doc tried other Buspar, but it didn't do diddly. I didn't want to go on a benzo because of the possibility of addiction, but I couldn't live in a panic state everytime I walked out the door, and wanted to go back to work.

Can you tell us about your dx., and if your doc tried to increase the Paxil? I know it really helped me with depression and anxiety, but the second time I tried to go on it with the panic disorder, my blood pressure when through the roof. I was really disappointed because on Paxil, I felt a little tired, but more 'normal' than any other ad I have ever been on! I think it's a great med for depression and anxiety. I still wish I could be on it. I was on it due to not being able to sleep and feeling upset all the time. I was very irritable. I took it for 6mo., and was able to taper right off of it. I was 'good to go' for three years after I stopped it.

I don't know if I'll ever get off meds at this point. Too much going on that keeps me in a constant state of anxiety and I have to do things to cope with stress all the time, even with meds. I don't feel stressed out in any way other than muscle tension and headaches when things get rolling, but no anxiety attacks.

I think you just need to stay on the meds and not worry about it. Taking a benzo is lots better than having anxiety attacks. Hang in there!

Love, Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#4 Lizzy

Lizzy

ID: 17

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:06 AM

I'm anxious today. I have a beta-blocka every evening and if I'm upset I add 40m in the mornings. It helps a LOT! Without it I would be focussing on how I was feeling all day long, often because my anxiety levels were high. On a scale of 1-5 how high is your anxiety?
Lizzy
Any change is scary even when we want it Posted Image

#5 Moonlight_Magic

Moonlight_Magic

Silver Member

ID: 6655

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:34 AM

When my anxiety was really bad, yes it could last all day. It was unrelenting. It seems to have calmed itself down a little now though, thanks to my routine and healthy eating etc.

Im on meds as well, mirtazapine, ive been on them for years though.

Edited by Enigmatic_Soul, 21 February 2008 - 09:36 AM.

"Oneday your prince will find you, mine just got lost on the way and was too stubborn to ask for directions!" (annoymous)

All quotes below by me and whomever happened to come up with them before i did (lol):

"Beneath the pessimism that is depression im an eternal optimist, so please don't be fooled by my seeming negativity!" *ahem*

"Finding acceptance from the world around us, begins with finding acceptance of the self".

"You dont have to achieve great things to be a great person!"

"On the road of life im a sunday driver. Im taking the scenic route at a speed im comfortable with. So if you want to overtake me, please feel free, but dont keep beeping your horn at me, its irritating. Thankyou"

#6 amiok123

amiok123

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

Lizzy: It kind of waxes and wanes throughout the day....sometimes 2 or 3 and sometimes 5, it's pretty cyclical.

Yes, I am worried about becoming dependent on benzo's. They are the only thing that make me feel normal right now, though.... I've been on a couple different AD's since I was about 14 (I'm almost 26 now). They always seemed to "do the trick" until the anxiety really got bad about 3 years ago, and I had my first full blown panic attack.
~M

#7 amiok123

amiok123

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:32 AM

I had panic disorder and meds helped lots, but it took that and a steady dose of ativan to keep me calm for about 7mo. It sounds like you are concerned about taking a benzo. My doc tried other Buspar, but it didn't do diddly. I didn't want to go on a benzo because of the possibility of addiction, but I couldn't live in a panic state everytime I walked out the door, and wanted to go back to work.

Can you tell us about your dx., and if your doc tried to increase the Paxil? I know it really helped me with depression and anxiety, but the second time I tried to go on it with the panic disorder, my blood pressure when through the roof. I was really disappointed because on Paxil, I felt a little tired, but more 'normal' than any other ad I have ever been on! I think it's a great med for depression and anxiety. I still wish I could be on it. I was on it due to not being able to sleep and feeling upset all the time. I was very irritable. I took it for 6mo., and was able to taper right off of it. I was 'good to go' for three years after I stopped it.

I don't know if I'll ever get off meds at this point. Too much going on that keeps me in a constant state of anxiety and I have to do things to cope with stress all the time, even with meds. I don't feel stressed out in any way other than muscle tension and headaches when things get rolling, but no anxiety attacks.

I think you just need to stay on the meds and not worry about it. Taking a benzo is lots better than having anxiety attacks. Hang in there!

Love, Jackie

Yes, I was on 20 mg. of Paxil, then upped it to 40mg and it actually made me more anxious. The doctor dx. me w/ Panic Dis, Dysthemia, and GAD. I have another visit w/ him on the 3rd, and he thinks there is a chance I could be bipolar....but I don't have the classic mania that is described when I look up the symptoms.
Before the Paxil, I was on 10mg of Lexapro, then 20mg of Lexapro, and I didn't like it because I couldn't sleep. Just switched to Paxil a month a go. I was on Paxil for a few years from the time I was 14, too.
~M

#8 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:13 AM

There are different diagnoses of bipolar where people experience lows that are severe instead of highs. (Their mood swings low.) Maybe he's thinking in these terms. If you do well on meds for while, then they seem to stop working, this is a possibility.

I'm also on a beta-blocker like Lizzie. It's real small pill that controls your hearbeat and controls my blood pressure. It stops anxiety after taking it for a couple of days. It's something you might ask your doc about if you are worried about the benzo's. I was on ativan for 7mo., until my ad and the beta blocker stopped the anxiety. I don't experience much anxiety at all. I'm really calm on my meds and I don't get over excited about anything. It's so much better than where I was the first 6mo. I felt like I was walking on eggs..... I think meds take longer to work than people really admit. Either than or we just learn how to cope with things better, lol!

Jackie
Posted Image

#9 keren_za

keren_za

Platinum Member

ID: 17675

• Platinum Member
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

My anxiety can sometimes last for an entire day, while it's severeness will change during the day as well. I usually take Phenergan to ease myself down, I find it effective, but only when the dose is high. Perhaps I should ask my pdoc for a better alternative.
"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself."

#10 cvoor

cvoor

ID: 9525

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

Lately looks like my anxiety last all day. My blood pressure today was higher than I have ever seen. I also have been having the panic attacks and burning stomach a lot lately.

#11 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

Maybe you doc would consider medicating you with a beta-blocker. It will take you blood pressure down, control your heart beat and prevent panic attacks. It's really an inexpensive med, too. I think it's less than $10. a month and starts working the first week you take it. It can make you feel a little tired, but anxiety is tiring anyways.

Jackie
Posted Image

#12 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

ID: 532

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

I woke up this morning with anxiety and yesterday I must have been anxious all day cause I had a hard to catching my breath. When I took a benzo it helped me to relax a bit. today was not too bad in the afternoon.
The Guy. - Love is patient, love is kind, love never fails.

#13 cvoor

cvoor

ID: 9525

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

Yes, I never thought of a beta blocker. I'm scared of AD'S, since I had bad panic attacks on Paxil about 2 yrs ago, I'm scared to take anything else.

#14 Goldstar

Goldstar

Advanced Member

ID: 8354

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

I often worry all day long. Sometimes so much that I can't concentrate and spend hours on end looking up stuff to the internet to resolve my 'problem' at the time. At the moment, I can't stop worrying about the uncertainty about the future, what career I will have, and whether I'll like it/be able to do it etc.

Goldstarxx
'There is no substitute for inner peace and happiness'

#15 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

When I find myself worrying, I stop it by refocusing my thoughts on something else. If I can't do something about it, forget it! Otherwise, I'll be a wreck over something/nothing. Most of the things I worry about, I have no control over, so I quit going 'there'.

Meds help me get control over this.

Jackie
Posted Image

#16 amiok123

amiok123

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

When I find myself worrying, I stop it by refocusing my thoughts on something else. If I can't do something about it, forget it! Otherwise, I'll be a wreck over something/nothing. Most of the things I worry about, I have no control over, so I quit going 'there'.

Meds help me get control over this.

Jackie

I'm on meds now (20mg of Paxil and 2-3mg of Xanax/day) and I STILL can't stop the anxiety--it's constant and really severe, like a never ending panic attack. I think I'm going to try CBT....I have a doctor appt tomorrow, so I'll talk to him about it then.
~M

#17 amiok123

amiok123

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

I often worry all day long. Sometimes so much that I can't concentrate and spend hours on end looking up stuff to the internet to resolve my 'problem' at the time. At the moment, I can't stop worrying about the uncertainty about the future, what career I will have, and whether I'll like it/be able to do it etc.

Goldstarxx

Goldstar,
I can totally relate to that. I do the same thing.
~M

#18 Goldstar

Goldstar

Advanced Member

ID: 8354

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:59 PM

Goldstarxx

Goldstar,
I can totally relate to that. I do the same thing.

It's horrible isn't it?

Goldstarxx
'There is no substitute for inner peace and happiness'

#19 ahaes

ahaes

ID: 13690

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

It has been a stressful few months for me and it seems like anxiety has become part of my life. I will wake up often with my heart pounding and it won't stop till the end of the day with chest pains.

I've only recently consulted the dr as the smallest thing will worsen my anxiety, even things that used to be so simple for me in the past. Lound noises will make me jump and my heart will race for a few minutes after.

Ironic thing is though the dr has given me xanax to help with the anxiety, it makes me anxious to take it as I don't want to grow dependent on it. sigh....feel like I'm stuck in a spiral. Not sure how to get out.

#20 mommy2

mommy2

Just Registered

ID: 25784

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

:hearts:

It has been a stressful few months for me and it seems like anxiety has become part of my life. I will wake up often with my heart pounding and it won't stop till the end of the day with chest pains.

I've only recently consulted the dr as the smallest thing will worsen my anxiety, even things that used to be so simple for me in the past. Lound noises will make me jump and my heart will race for a few minutes after.

Ironic thing is though the dr has given me xanax to help with the anxiety, it makes me anxious to take it as I don't want to grow dependent on it. sigh....feel like I'm stuck in a spiral. Not sure how to get out.

i am sorry> i live with anxiety everyday too. sometimes i am so scared i stay in. i took xanax a long time ago, and it helped while i took it, but i had rebound anxiety-it got worse when i stopped and id have to take another. klonopin works for me because it lasts longer, but it doesnt release in 15 minutes, more like 30

#21 psychocandy

psychocandy

ID: 18703

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:25 AM

Goldstarxx

whoa - I do exactly that too.... (like now trolling through DF)
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#22 Camilia

Camilia

ID: 27687

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

Goldstarxx

whoa - I do exactly that too.... (like now trolling through DF)

I do this too, lol... and it seems as if my anxiety never goes away, or at least I can never stop myself from worrying over things such as, is my kitchen clean enough, am i going insane, i need to call my grandmother, wait, i should be exercising, is my daughter ok, i should be spending more time with her, is the bathroom clean... and it goes on and on and on... i have never had high blood pressure but my heart rate has always been really high... the only time it drops below 100 is maybe at night occasionally when i take my traxodone, but usually it sits at like 126 beats per minute. Then I still have anxiety attacks during the day... small ones now... but like the other day I was just sitting there watching tv and my two year old was playing, then everything was suddenly too stimulating and I couldnt breathe... my heart rate sped even more... and all of the noise in my home was making me feel insane...

btw... I am on 150 mgs of Effexor once a day... .25 mgs of Xanax, twice a day... and trazodone at night... the xanax usually just keeps my hands from trembling out of control...
God Does Not Give Us Anything That We Cannot Handle!!
This Too Shall Pass
That Which Does Not **** YOu Will Make YOu Stronger

Cami

#23 DLO

DLO

ID: 40324

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:13 AM

I don't live life, but rather just exist. It is exhausting to think about the number of medications I have taken and therapies that I have been through. I often think about the madness of trying to balance severe depression, along with anxiety and panic attacks. On one hand, depression provides the "shut down" effect of the mind, body, and soul, but in given situations, the anxiety and panic attacks force the "ramp up", sending everything into overdrive. Everything is in such a horrible state of physiological and psychological limbo...

#24 Tovah

Tovah

ID: 39873

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

I do the same thing. I'm afraid of my business going bankrupt and so I look online at bankrupsy, foreclosure, health insurance, COBRA, retirement .... you name it. For me it's all finance-related but there are spinoffs like what if I get too sick to work (I support my family), the cost of insuring my son's driving, etc. It's EXHAUSTING.

Since I started on Lexapro I have had several days (not next to each other) where I didn't feel particularly anxious. But on the whole, yes, I have anxiety from the moment I get up in the morning and it lasts all day until evening when I take a dose of Zyprexa and go to bed. Thanks be to God for the Zyprexa as it does slow my thoughts and worries down.

I take lithium, Lexapro, a beta blocker, and Diazapam which I really, really want to quit. I think it makes my anxiety worse but the doc won't taper me down until I show less anxiety on the Lexapro. I wish I could be on disability for a year to get off the benzos but it wouldn't pay the mortgage.

I'd trade anxiety/depression for diabetes, cancer, anything. This is not living, and no one who doesn't have it understands at all. :hearts:
Donnie Darko: I made a new friend today.
Psychiatrist: Real or imaginary?
Donnie Darko: Imaginary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users