Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

UK Benefits - Members with MH Disabilities

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:05 AM

in any case also say that its because of the aspergers that you do or don't do certain things.

sorry I can't be much more of a help.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#42 ken

ken

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:53 PM

I have a dss medical coming up soon, had one before a few year ago (got turned down for the benefits but won the appeal).

Scare s((((less, as I hate these things.

Lifes hard enough without this stuff.....

Knowing my luck I will probably be great on the day, all normal....

Not a good liar, so would be screwed...

#43 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:29 PM

remember and tell them how it is for you when you are at your worst. Don't get dressed up for it and good luck with it.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#44 Torchwood

Torchwood

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:20 PM

Just got the decision back and they've awarded me high rate DLA ( Thanks Eileen for your help & advice)

I really wasnt expecting that i was thinking more low rate if any.

Torchwood
Clare

I dont know whats right or whats real anymore, i dont know how i'm meant to feel anymore - Lily Allen

Insanity Is Hereditary - You Get It From Your Kids!

Current DX Borderline and Avoidant PD'S mixed and Bipolar II
Meds - Seroquel and Escitalopram

Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

Glad you got the highest rate. :hearts:

Now if you are on IS or IB you can or may get extra money so make sure they know you are on Higher rate DLA.

There are disability pr emiums that get added on to your Applicable Amount.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#46 Torchwood

Torchwood

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:44 PM

Hubby get working tax credit so theyr putting a dla premium on it :hearts:
Clare

I dont know whats right or whats real anymore, i dont know how i'm meant to feel anymore - Lily Allen

Insanity Is Hereditary - You Get It From Your Kids!

Current DX Borderline and Avoidant PD'S mixed and Bipolar II
Meds - Seroquel and Escitalopram

Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:38 AM

it all helps Torchwood. Good to hear it.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#48 Tanz

Tanz

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

I have not used them personaly, I belive that Dial may be a usful resource with regard to benifits in the UK. Dial may also help you fill in claim forms.

Information and advice are usually available on:

welfare benefits
community care
equipment
independent living
mobility and transport
discrimination
holidays
and much more . . .

Edited by firelizardee, 15 May 2007 - 07:04 AM.
remove link as per TOS

'But I know I must go on. Although I hurt I must be strong. Because inside I know that many feel this way'[/size]

#49 Tanz

Tanz

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

:hearts: sorry, i had actualy read about not being able to post links, nw you mention it.

I blame my meds/condition:mad1:

:bump: Tanz
'But I know I must go on. Although I hurt I must be strong. Because inside I know that many feel this way'[/size]

#50 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:16 PM

I added that link you had to the links section at rihgt up at the top of the page.

ee
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#51 HelenLlama

HelenLlama

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:13 PM

My forms are in, so just waiting for a decision...
Should hopefully be mid care/ lower mobility
If not will be lower/lower

#52 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

I hope you get it
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#53 silverclaws

silverclaws

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

Hello,I just noticed this forum and am pleased there is help here for us UK people.I am somewhere in the middle of a move from JSA to benefits for being signed off sick.I did have a DEA,who was very aware of some of the problems I had,especially with the joke centre's security staff.My psychologist believes that I need to be involved with creativity in a way to control my anger,as it is creativity that defuses my aggression.So,I have decided to pursue a course at college,part time doing a degree in applied art.I have heard so many things as to where I stand,the college says one thing,the joke centre another,the people where grants are obtained says something different again,I am totally confused and apathy is setting in,if this goes on I will not realise my dream,and the anger/anxiety and depression will get worse.can you shine any light on where I stand?

I am just about at the point where I am going to seek help from MIND,as forms seem to confuse me these days,seemingly I panic and cannot understand what is being said.
I am a dream to some........................A NIGHTMARE to others !!!

(Merlin from Boorman's movie; 'Excalibur')

#54 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

silverclaws
I think that if you are on Incapacity Benefit you can study part time and not affect your IB but you really do need to check that out. I have heard of people on IB doing up to 16 hours a week studying and it not affect their benefit.
Citizens Advice might also be able to tell you.

Sorry I cant be more definite.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#55 silverclaws

silverclaws

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:03 PM

silverclaws
I think that if you are on Incapacity Benefit you can study part time and not affect your IB but you really do need to check that out. I have heard of people on IB doing up to 16 hours a week studying and it not affect their benefit.
Citizens Advice might also be able to tell you.

Sorry I cant be more definite.

Eileen

Thankyou,what you have said is a help,it is the same as what my DEA said,but I had another variable chucked at me on Monday leading to confusion and apathy.It was suggested I do a full time course as it is only actually ten hours study a week whereas the part time course,my original plan was four hours a week.If I do the full time degree course,it will be done in three years whereas the part time course will take five years.I am 39 now,time is marching on,but I will check it out with the relevant authorities,whence that is I can get my head around this current bout of apathy.
I am a dream to some........................A NIGHTMARE to others !!!

(Merlin from Boorman's movie; 'Excalibur')

#56 HelenLlama

HelenLlama

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

I got a lifetime award of lower care and lower mobility.

Am going to see about getting it changed when I graduate.

H

#57 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

H

sometimes they can take away an award instead of upping it. Just to warn you.

A lifetime award is good to get.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#58 Gimmik

Gimmik

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

I receive medium-level DLA, but this is for my Aspergers. I had to have a home visit by a doctor. I also get Disabled Students Allowance.
Doctor Blind

#59 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

Gimmick thanks for telling us about it. Is it for life the award?

Love your avatar.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#60 Gimmik

Gimmik

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:13 AM

Gimmick thanks for telling us about it. Is it for life the award?

Love your avatar.

Eileen

I think I just carry on getting it as long as I need it really. I have to inform the people who arrange it if my circumstances change so if, at some point, my problems aren't as debilitating, I have to let them know about it as I wouldn't require as much support. But as long as things stay as they are, I get the same amount of money into my account each month. I'm not sure exactly how much, I don't think it's a lot, but it helps with things.
Doctor Blind

#61 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

Gimmick

here are the rates from the DLA web site

Care component Weekly rate
Highest rate 64.50
Middle rate 43.15
Lowest rate 17.10
Mobility component Weekly rate
Higher rate 45.00
Lower rate 17.10

If you are on benefits you will also be getting some disability premiums added to your IS and it also mean that if you get Housing Benefit you may get more for that.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#62 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

Can someone explain to me how anyone lives on that amount of money? Since the cheapest rate I have ever seen for a house share is 50 a week.
Beating depression since 2007

#63 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

Can someone explain to me how anyone lives on that amount of money? Since the cheapest rate I have ever seen for a house share is 50 a week.

thats not the only amount of money you get. In addition there is Income Support, the basic rate is around 57 a week but goes up if you get any rate of DLA. Or there is Incapacity Benefit, if you have worked but are now ill and have been ill for 26 weeks or more. There are different rates of IB depending on how old you are.

People aren't expected to live just on DLA.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#64 kim1

kim1

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

i was wondering if anyone here has tried recieving employment support allowance in the uk, i was claiming it for a year, went for a medical, and they rejected it, then i appealed and the appeal hearing rejected it too, the citizens advice have been good and have adviced me to re claim esa,but im worried i am wasting my time,as it is mental health the job centre doesnt seem to help much.If anyone can offer me some help with this i would be very grateful, thanks kim

#65 dodgyparrot

dodgyparrot

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

All I can say to the ESA is that it stinks completely. I had to give up work due to depression and stress amongst other things but because I had worked then I get assessed straight away for the contributions based esa. I was turned down for the income related part which then would give me free prescriptions and other help that would definately have helped me, but no the sneaky UK gov't will always apply the contributions part first to everyone so unless you were already out of work before you do not stand a chance of getting income related esa regardless that in effect you are now both in the same situation.

Confused yet? Well it goes on - I have a disabled son on dla middle and low rates, myself am on dla low and low rates. I had been going round in circles being told that as I am still on contributions based then I am not entitled to other help as an income related person would be despite they keep saying they are exactly the same. They are not. So the next thing I have now been told is that I should claim carers allowance even though they will not let me have any it will just give me an underlying entitlement to it and therefore can increase my esa award ????????? Oh yes and will also up my level of housing benefit. Yup well does that make sense? Why can't they simplify it.

So I await my forms that will only give me an underlying entitlement but in reality give me far more than anything else. At the moment I am on less money same situation as an income related esa person is and will have to pay for each of my medicines that I get on prescription because even though I am in the same boat I am not in there eyes. So actually I could argue that because I now have to pay for my prescriptions I am on less money so therefore I should be able to claim the income related part afterall!

I have just been told I can claim prescription exemption due to a low income but its hit or miss whether it will be awarded. Talk about creating more stress in people who are already struggling. Confused or what? All these virtual forms that you have to fill in even though they will give you nothing in their real sense but give you what you should be getting regardless but in a completely round the houses sense.

This new gov't is ******* off the nhs and also the welfare system. It is systematically trying to push us under the carpet. It doesn 't care about the stress it puts us under and therfore exacerbating our problems.

And as for the Atos medical well that is seriously stressing me out. My dr saw me today and said well if your anything like this then they will let you off. I didn't have the heart to say that they wouldn't they would say if I can sit at a table then I can sit at a pc and therefore I can work regardless of me twitching and jumping. Its not that I don't want to work because I do its just I know that I am not ready to yet. I am still in therapy and that wipes me out for a few days afterwards so who's going to want to employ a nervouse blithering wreck! I did tell my dr at his suggestion that maybe I could volunteer in a charity shop which I really would like to do to build up my confidence but if I do that then they will then say if I can do that then I can work. They just don't care. I keep wondering about the medical and it is really worrying me as I do not go out unless its to the drs or my headman oh and a mental health support group I will go shopping but only if I have my son or someone with me. so going to a big city is really scaring me. Besides what I have heard is that they don't actually care and are really not looking at ways to support you just ways to exclude you. They want you to work and thats that so they will make you fit that box. I have lost my medical questionaire and have been told by one lot apparently from atos that not to worry because they will call me and arrange an appointment over the phone - they will not re-issue the form. Then I am told by some on the esa part no questionaire then my benefit will stop!!

So all I can say is good luck because you will definately need it in one way or another. I hate to say it but the UK is wanting to create the same sort of health system that the US has which lets face it puts more emphasis on fat cat insurance companies than the people in need.

Oh dear ended up with a rant - sorry

Well keep trying and maybe they will give it to you in the end. Love to know what they expect you to live on though because without it creates a low income so actually you are then in the bracket to get it! If you can't get contibutions related esa then you will get income related but not the other way round! Might have better luck getting a lottery or entering the pools! Waffle mode over!
Life is only as complicated as we make it. Unfortunately my life is not so simple!

#66 HelenLlama

HelenLlama

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:37 PM

dodgyparrot pick up a HC2 form from your GP's surgery.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users