Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firelizardee

UK Benefits - Members with MH Disabilities

66 posts in this topic

Posted

IF a doctor didnt help, CHANGE DOCTORS!

When I first went to ask for help, the doctor (who retired shortly afterwards) actually SCREAMED at me.

It didnt help my situation....... But later I saw another doctor that listened and didnt throw a fit.....

In my life I have seen many doctors only two out of those many, many doctors were useless peices of brown stuff that

dogs leave on the pavement. The rest were overworked and underpaid saints.

Lady Slothbottom likes this

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hello,

I am new here and would appreciate any advice. I've been on Incapacity for a number of years and have been exempt from the PCA but last week recieved an IB50 to complete. Needless to say I'm very scared and worried about this. Has anyone got any advice on how to get across how the illness afects a person in the small space provided?

Thanks.

Evening Star.

Posted (edited)

if you are exempt from the PCA then you shouldn't need to fill in this form. I think the computer system chucks them out at random people. Phone them up and say you are exempt and see if that helps.

Are you on DLA? If you are on the Highest Care of DLA you are automatically exempt from filling in this form.

If so fill in the mental health part as though it was the DLA form. I know that there isn't a lot of space but you need to get across

how anxious you feel say in crowds or going outside your house, how you need someone with you when you go outside, how lack of motivation from the depression means that you don't go out or do anything, how you don't have the motivation or concentration to cook a meal for yourself, you suffer from poor concentration because of the depression. How you worry about things. Do you have suicidal thoughts, if so put that down, do you self harm or have tried to **** yourself.

Just try and put down what it is like on a really bad day, a day when you can't get up in the morning, when you feel so depressed that you don't do anything but cry. Thats the kind of things you need to put down.

Eileen

Edited by firelizardee

Posted (edited)

Hi Eileen,

I seem to be having trouble posting a reply...see above.

Thanks for your advice I still haven't filled in the form properly. I have not yrt claimed dla although I was advised to do so a couple of years ago. The WRO I spoke to about possibly claiming seemed to just go on about cooking a meal and I couldn't face the medical so didn't bother.

My GP told me last friday that the dwp hadn't written to him. I thought that they had to send a IB113 before an IB50 was sent out. Any advice?

This is all getting to me big time.

Evening Star.

Edited by Evening Star

Posted

There is a bit more to the DLA form than just the cooking test.

However, have you phone the DWP and asked them if you have to fill it in? If you were exempt you should still be I'm thinking, but best not to wait too long otherwise they may stop your IB and put you onto JSA.

Do go and see a WRO or the citizens advice.

You need to write down how everyday things overwhelm you like official documents and letters. This form is a prime example. Also say if you suffer from bouts of crying.

I don't know if they have to send out a form to your dr before they send you a IB50.

Eileen

Posted

Here's some questions for you that might help you fill in the form:

Do you need someone with you when you are out and about? Do you get anxious when outside the house? Or inside the house? Do you constantly worry about things? Could you go to a place you don't know very well on your own - say No to this and it means that you'd need someone with you. Its all about how anxious doing these things make you. Depression and axiety go together.

Do you have problems getting up in the morning becuase of the depression? ie do you have the motivation to get up. Don't worry if you have to get up because of the kids. Its what you are like on your own. What is your motivation like? Do you neglect your personal hygiene, ie not wash or change your clothese for days/weeks, can't be bothered to wash or change clothes, just put on the first thing that comes to hand.

What are you like when official letters arrive - it sounds like you can't deal with changes to your daily routine, this form is a change to your daily routine and you are finding it hard to deal with, things like this probably make you more anxious and depressed.

Do you cook a proper meal for yourself, I know that when I'm depressed I can't/don't have the motivation to plan, prepare and cook a proper meal for myself. I rely on convenience foods or eat junk food. Again its how you would look after yourself. Do you rely on others to prepare the food.

Is dealing with things/everything just too much for you and you just want to curl up and sleep.

Do you go out or do you only go out for drs' appointments?

There is probably more in the thread you first asked your question.

Tell them also how the depression makes you feel, ie everything is black and hopeless and I'm too depressed/anxious to do anything for myself.

I hope this helps you .

Try not and worry too much about it. If it does go to a medical, do not dress up for it, just dress in your untidiest clothes possible, don't wash just get up and get dressed and when they start asking questions, tears are very good thing. Just concentrate on how bad things are for you.

Posted

Hi, I've sent a DLA form in and got a letter back saying they want further info off my GP, I'm worrying myself sick in case they want to see me/do a check up with their doctors, it takes me alot of effort to go to see my GP and i know her nevermind a stranger who'll be scrutinising me - if i say i cant go will they refuse my DLA?

Torchwood

Posted

Hi, I've sent a DLA form in and got a letter back saying they want further info off my GP, I'm worrying myself sick in case they want to see me/do a check up with their doctors, it takes me alot of effort to go to see my GP and i know her nevermind a stranger who'll be scrutinising me - if i say i cant go will they refuse my DLA?

Torchwood

its quite usual for them to get more info from the dr.

If they turn down your DLA you can appeal and that will mean going and seeing a panel but you can take someone in with you. I know its difficult but if you don't go the appeal you probably won't get DLA.

Posted

Torchwood

If they turn down your DLA you can appeal and that will mean going and seeing a panel but you can take someone in with you. I know its difficult but if you don't go the appeal you probably won't get DLA.

I'm in this situation myself right now. I applied for DLA due to Agoraphobia (need someone with me), Bipolar (unsafe alone) and being unable to walk more than 15 minutes (mobility anyone?). Basicly I found out today they went "lalalah not listening" to my claim. And hence have to appeal it.

It's why I'm posting in the topic really. I'am looking to appeal and have requested everything (doctors reports, exact details of the reasons for it being denied etc.), so I'm now looking for where to go for advice on how to appeal and such. I understand some disability groups are regional so I probably should point out I'm in the Northamptonshire area.

Finally. How exactly do you explain you have suicidal tendancies without seeming bad enough to be put in a mental hospital? I suspect that may have been my problem, I didn't want to go "gonna die myself gimme gimme gimme" and probabky held back a lot more than I should of. I know you're ment to say everything, but as with others with social phobias discussing things isn't exactly a strong point, least of all to strangers.

Torchwood. I had a doctor come out to see me, he was very nice and polite. He asked me a bunch of questions and didn't seem judgemental at all. Just remember these doctors see people day in and day out, they have seen people much better and worse than you, so you're probably not going to be juedged beyond the basic "seems right" or "complete fraud and wanting money", which if you're honest isn't a problem :)

Posted

Torchwood

I'm in this situation myself right now. I applied for DLA due to Agoraphobia (need someone with me), Bipolar (unsafe alone) and being unable to walk more than 15 minutes (mobility anyone?). Basicly I found out today they went "lalalah not listening" to my claim. And hence have to appeal it.

It's why I'm posting in the topic really. I'am looking to appeal and have requested everything (doctors reports, exact details of the reasons for it being denied etc.), so I'm now looking for where to go for advice on how to appeal and such. I understand some disability groups are regional so I probably should point out I'm in the Northamptonshire area.

Finally. How exactly do you explain you have suicidal tendancies without seeming bad enough to be put in a mental hospital? I suspect that may have been my problem, I didn't want to go "gonna die myself gimme gimme gimme" and probabky held back a lot more than I should of. I know you're ment to say everything, but as with others with social phobias discussing things isn't exactly a strong point, least of all to strangers.

Torchwood. I had a doctor come out to see me, he was very nice and polite. He asked me a bunch of questions and didn't seem judgemental at all. Just remember these doctors see people day in and day out, they have seen people much better and worse than you, so you're probably not going to be juedged beyond the basic "seems right" or "complete fraud and wanting money", which if you're honest isn't a problem :)

first of all you should have told them everything, especially the bit about you being suicidal.

It may surprise you that they do turn down a lot of people because they haven't the time to look at the claim properly (they have 8 weeks to look at your claim). If you can get drs or CPN or therpaist to write a supporting letter saying that you suffer from suicidal behaviour and that you can't go anywhere on your own and really say what it is like on your worst day, you should have some success.

If the appeal doesn't work you can appeal that as well. It might be that there is some welfare officer attached to your local psych hospital that might be able to help. Have you a social worker? Have you a CPN? Have you a psychiatrist? ARe you on meds? or in therapy?

I put on my form for the treatment part that I saw my GP regularly and my Psychiatrist regularly and attended a day hospital as well as putting down the meds I was on. YOu really do have to tell them everything.

For instance when you are depressed did you say that you have problems getting up, do you wear the same clothes day after day, do you neglect your personal hygiene (not washing)? what are you like when you are manic? What are you like when you are depressed?

A letter from your family might also help, cos they see what you are like.

I'd also suggest that you go to something like Citizens Advice or do you have any local organisations for people with Bipolar Disorder - your gp should know of them.

I hope all goes well remember taht if they do turn you down you can reapply and this time put it all down, they won't put you in hospital for anything that you say.

For the cooking test, do you have the motivation or concentration to plan and prepare a meal for yourself? I'd guess that when you are depressed you dont' have the motivation or when you are manic you probably can't be bother either.

Eileen

Posted

first of all you should have told them everything, especially the bit about you being suicidal.

It may surprise you that they do turn down a lot of people because they haven't the time to look at the claim properly (they have 8 weeks to look at your claim). If you can get drs or CPN or therpaist to write a supporting letter saying that you suffer from suicidal behaviour and that you can't go anywhere on your own and really say what it is like on your worst day, you should have some success.

If the appeal doesn't work you can appeal that as well. It might be that there is some welfare officer attached to your local psych hospital that might be able to help. Have you a social worker? Have you a CPN? Have you a psychiatrist? ARe you on meds? or in therapy?

I put on my form for the treatment part that I saw my GP regularly and my Psychiatrist regularly and attended a day hospital as well as putting down the meds I was on. YOu really do have to tell them everything.

For instance when you are depressed did you say that you have problems getting up, do you wear the same clothes day after day, do you neglect your personal hygiene (not washing)? what are you like when you are manic? What are you like when you are depressed?

A letter from your family might also help, cos they see what you are like.

I'd also suggest that you go to something like Citizens Advice or do you have any local organisations for people with Bipolar Disorder - your gp should know of them.

I hope all goes well remember taht if they do turn you down you can reapply and this time put it all down, they won't put you in hospital for anything that you say.

For the cooking test, do you have the motivation or concentration to plan and prepare a meal for yourself? I'd guess that when you are depressed you dont' have the motivation or when you are manic you probably can't be bother either.

Eileen

I'm unmedicated (long story short I tried prozac thanks to a stupid doctor and ended up having a suicidal break down and won't touch pills again because of it) but I do see a couseller once a month (which I believe they also used as an excuse for denial.. as I recall them saying on the phone, but I can't recall in 100% detail so I'm waiting for the paper work). The agoraphobia restricts the help I can seek and I'm really not the type of person to ask for help at the best of times anny way, so I don't have a huge army of people to tick my little boxs saddly.

On the depressed part I explained I had a history of self harming, find i very difficult to do basic things and have suicidal thoughts. I didn't go into huge detail since there just isn't enough room to do so, but it was quite clearly spelt out.

I did have my mum fill in the "person who provides help" type thing, but she focused more on the agoraphobia rather than the Bipolar, since even when manic I'm not stupid and hence won't do really weird things while people are around. I realize it would make things more difficult later and would ruin "future plans" rather than having a little fun now. I guess it's the classic self harming being hidden thing.

That's the problem with the cooking thing. 90% of the time I can be just fine, but the other 10% of the time I'm completely unsafe to be near the cooker. Everything from elctrocuting myself with a toaster (while manic) to having self harming urges with pans of hot water. Again I didn't want to go "hey look how screwed up I'am", but I now realize they want you to "convict" yourself persay.

Is there a set of useful resources to find local groups for advice? They all have weird names and it's difficult to know which you need. :)

Posted

even if 10% of the time you cant use the cooker then thats enough reason for you not to cook. The form has to be (must be) filled in as though it were your WORST DAY, its doesn't mater that you have good days, its the bad days you need to concentrate on.

If you look further down the pinned topics you'll see one on Disability Living Allowance, it has a web link in it to a site that gives advice on fillilng in the form.

Your local surgery or GP should have the information you need or again I'd advise you to go to Citizens Advice. Also the local council might have the information you need.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Posted

How can I explain my need for :hearts: when I am really really anxious, and other ways and methods do not have the same effect as a calming method. They really do not work at all.

Also how can you explain how hyperfocusing is a BAD thing. Coz It is in my case....

Posted

I suppose you could say that you get really anxious and only by bathing does the anxiety go away and then put down how many times a day you need to do it. Always put down the worst day of your life. So if on a bad day you need to bath 7 times then put that down. It would make going to work impossible becuaes the anxiety would mean you couldn't work.

As for hyperfocusing -well I did a little reading on it through google and I see that it is being so focused on something to the detriment on anything else. So that you might for instance, not be aware of the time or place you are in or ignore people around you, so people might think you lack social skills. Maybe you can't get on with other tasks until the current task is finished. Just put down or describe how bad it is for you, maybe you miss meals, miss work, miss appointment, wet yourself etc.

Other symptoms of go with ADD/ADHD are:

Low self esteem

anxiety

impulsivity

hyperactivity (in some cases)

restlessness

nail biting/ fidgety

trouble with concentration

under/ over focusing

memory problems

gets lost easily

highly sensitive, emotional

trouble maintaining good relationships

Posted

I have Aspergers. Not ADD.

Will do that. Urm now to work out how many times I need baths a day....

hmmm.

Posted

in any case also say that its because of the aspergers that you do or don't do certain things.

sorry I can't be much more of a help.

Eileen

Posted

I have a dss medical coming up soon, had one before a few year ago (got turned down for the benefits but won the appeal).

Scare s((((less, as I hate these things.

Lifes hard enough without this stuff.....

Knowing my luck I will probably be great on the day, all normal....

Not a good liar, so would be screwed...

Posted

remember and tell them how it is for you when you are at your worst. Don't get dressed up for it and good luck with it.

Posted

Just got the decision back and they've awarded me high rate DLA ( Thanks Eileen for your help & advice)

I really wasnt expecting that i was thinking more low rate if any.

Torchwood

Posted

Glad you got the highest rate. :hearts:

Now if you are on IS or IB you can or may get extra money so make sure they know you are on Higher rate DLA.

There are disability pr emiums that get added on to your Applicable Amount.

Eileen

Posted

Hubby get working tax credit so theyr putting a dla premium on it :hearts:

Posted

it all helps Torchwood. Good to hear it.

Eileen

Posted (edited)

I have not used them personaly, I belive that Dial may be a usful resource with regard to benifits in the UK. Dial may also help you fill in claim forms.

Information and advice are usually available on:

welfare benefits

community care

equipment

independent living

mobility and transport

discrimination

holidays

and much more . . .

Edited by firelizardee
remove link as per TOS

Posted

:hearts: sorry, i had actualy read about not being able to post links, nw you mention it.

I blame my meds/condition:mad1:

:bump: Tanz

Posted

I added that link you had to the links section at rihgt up at the top of the page.

ee