Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

UK Benefits - Members with MH Disabilities

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 07:58 AM

more info on the DLA can be found at http://www.direct.go...ienc....=VLS3fy

this includes who can claim, how to claim, where to get the forms, telephone numbers etc.
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#2 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:07 AM

info can also be found about how help with disabilities to do with health, money, work, etc from the DirectGov web site at http://www.direct.go...ledPeople/fs/en
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#3 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:09 AM

jo
if you go back to work and can't hack it and have to give up the job due to being sick, then you'd be signed off - tell your dr how worried you are  about this, I'm sure they'd understand and support you.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#4 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:50 AM

its when you put a watch on a thread.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#5 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 02:05 PM

I have a question: what do you do if you feel that you can't work and yet your doctor refuses to sign you as sick?
We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever

#6 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 12:58 PM

I dunno .. I just hate to ASK which is stupid cos they can only say no I suppose.

It's just, i am likely to be starting work soon and if  Ican't hack it and leave I will not get JSA and I am really worrying about it :(
We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever

#7 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

• Super Administrators
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

Ei,  How the heck did you get this thingy
Posted Image

Into your titles?  LOL

Thank you for giving members information for dissability in the UK . :hearts:

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.  
My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#8 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 11:26 AM

I'll add links to Govt sites about the benefits/allowances I mention.  If you have any info you can add about UK benefits/allowances please add them.

Eileen

*note some of the money rates I mention are approximate figures - can't remember them offhand.

"Disability Living Allowance"

Mental Health Illnesses/Conditions
People with Mental Health problems in the UK are eligible to apply for an allowance called "Disability Living Allowance" (DLA) provided that the condition/illness has lasted 6 months and will last at least another 6 months.  It is an allowance that  can increase the amount of Income Support or Incapacity Benefit that a person can get.  It does this by raising the 'applicable amount' that the UK Govt says a person needs to live on.    

Applicable Amount
The applicable amount is set at a rate of around £55 for a single person (over 24) with no dependants.  This can be raised by the addition of up to 3 disability premiums depending on what rate of DLA you receive or if you have been ill for more than a year.  

DLA Components
The DLA has 2 components: Care (Higher, Middle or Lower rate) and Mobility (Higher and Lower rate).  Many people who suffer from mental illness or mental health problems can usually get one of the Care rates and might get the Lower rate for Mobility - Higher Rate Mobility is for those who have a physical disability such as paraplegic or amputee.

The rates for these components can be seen at: http://www.direct.go...ienc....=ffuFTE

Higher Rate Care Component
To get the Higher Rate Care Component the person needs to be so ill as to need some or constant supervision through the day or night, in order to keep themselves or others safe.

My DLA was awarded because I need someone to keep an eye on me because I am a potential danger to myself or others :hearts: , this is because I self harm (cutting etc) and also have servious suicidal thoughts which I act on.  

If someone needs help at any time to care for their personal needs, depending on the time of help they need they may get Higher Rate or Middle Rate.

Middle Rate Care Component
There must be an element of care required by another person.   I'll add more examples later.  

Lower Rate Care Component
A person must need some help with personal care due to their illness/condition.  For example help with cooking a meal.

Higher Rate Mobility
Given only to people who are completely blind or deaf or can not walk (a Dr will examine you if you are claiming this rate).

Lower Rate Mobility
People who have problems getting around i.e. agoraphobia, panic attacks etc and need someone with them anytime they leave the house can get this rate.   For people with mental illness some of these reasons can be because they can forget where they are, they get confused or frightened by people or traffic, or they suffer from sever panic attacks that they can not cope with going out on their own, or they hear voices or have hallucinations.    Again I'll check up on this and add more later.

DLA Award
People can be awarded one rate from one or both of the components.  For instance I get Higher Rate of the care component because I need help with personal care for my safety but I do not need help with getting around.

Get a DLA Form
To apply for DLA phone your local Job Centre Plus and ask for a form to be sent to you.  The form will be dated with 2 dates: one is the date you asked for the form, the second is when the form must be sent back by.

If you are eligible for DLA it will be backdated to the date you asked for the form (important to know, because it can take about 8 weeks to get the result and if you need to appeal a decision it can take much longer for them to process your claim).  

Filling in the DLA Form
When you come to filling in the form, you fill in the form and describe what it is like for you on YOUR WORST DAY.  That is important, don't say things like "occasionally it is so bad that....", say "it is so bad that I constantly feel depressed and suicidal and want to die, my thoughts are constantly on thoughts of dying and planing methods" etc.

You may be able to get someone to help you fill in the form.  If you have a Community Psychiatric Nurse or Social Worker or Welfare Rights Worker they may be able to help you.   The Citizns Advice might help or there may be a local centre for people with Mental Health Problems

Appealing A Decision
I've already said that it can take about 8 weeks to get a decision.  The DLA people don't always give an award.  This is not the end of the road.  If you are knocked back the first time, appeal.  People do win appeals a lot of the time.  I have known someone who appealed the initial decision and she was awarded DLA without having to fill out any other forms or put in a submission.

If your appeal is knocked back you can appeal that and go to the 3rd stage.  This will require you and/or your representative to face a panel and answer some questions.   I have known someone whose DLA appeal went to this final stage and he won.  So 11 months after asking for the form he was awarded DLA and so he got it backdated.

How DLA affects your Income Support or Incapacity Benefit
Basic benefits in UK are approx. £56 Income Support (IS) for single person (Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit is extra), and the same for Incapicity Benefit (IB) (? I need to check this amounts).   If you have been ill for more than a year you'll be awarded an additional Disability Premium of around £20 (I need to check this out)

IB is awarded if you have worked and that replaces the IS.  If you have been ill for more than a year you'll get extra IB of about £20 (?) bringing your IB to £75 or thereabouts.  

If you get any component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) then that will also give you the basic Disability Premium plus the basic IS or IB.  

If you get Middle Rate Care Component you will get another Disability Premim (total 2 premiums).

If you get Higher Rate Care Component you will get all three disability premiums added to your IS or IB.

Dr/Psychiatrist/CPN/Social Worker to support your application
The DLA form has a couple of sections that are to be filled in by people who support your application.  In my case it was my Psychiatrist but it can be your GP or CPN, Social worker or family member (though its better to have professional support).   Talk to your GP or Psychiatrist or THerapist, they should be willing to help you gain this award.  

Housing Benefit
If you are on IS, IB or a low income you can get full or almost full Housing Benefit (HB).  It is worth applying.  I think you get the forms from your local council or the Job Centre Plus or any organisation that helps folk with Mental Health Problems.

Council Tax Beneft
People on IS, IB or on a low income should or may be eligible for council tax benefit.   The forms are available from your local Council offices (maybe from Job Centre Plus also).

Council Tax Exemption
To get complete Council Tax exemption a person must be getting DLA at any rate or Income Supoort and have a Dr or Psychiatrist will to support you by filling out a Severely Mentally Impaired (SMI) form stating that you have suffered since a certain date.

My psychiatrist supports me and this means I have full Council Tax exemption from the date I got awarded DLA.

Don't worry too much about the name SMI, its just the way the form is worded.  If you have a mental illness/condition that is long standing you should get some DLA and get exemption from Council Tax.

Forms can be got from your local Council office.  Its a very simple form (2 pages) but requires an official stamp from your dr.

Concession Bus/Tax Fares
Another benefit you might be able to get, depending on what area you live in is a concession rate because of your mental illness/condition.  

In Aberdeen I get free bus fares after 9.30 Mon to Friday and all day Sat and Sun.  I'd assume that this might be available in all areas of the UK.  Some areas will give free fares at any time.  

If you are seriously ill then you may be eligible to get a Taxi Card.  

Apply for either of these by contacting your local council.  Again you will need to give details of your Drs name so that they can support your application.

Why apply?
Why apply?  Well you are entitled to apply and get DLA.  You may not have heard of it because many drs 'forget' that folk with Mental Illness can apply for it (as can folk with Learning Disabilities etc).

If you don't ask you won't get and getting DLA will mean you get more money from IS or IB.  It can be worth up to £200 a week.  Well worth applying for.

What now?
Feel free to comment on what I've written, I may well have made some errors or ommisions and I'm writing this from memory and I don't have notes to look at.  I may also have to check up some stuff but i thought it better to put this onto DF since some of us do suffer greatly moneywise.   Getting DLA can make things a bit more bearable.

If you have any questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer them or perhaps others from the UK can also answer them.

Phone first thing on Monday and get that DLA form or SMI form, even the Concession Card for buses.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#9 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:14 AM

if you aren't fit to work then you'd be on sick leave and should get either Income Support or if you have paid enough National Insurance then you'd get Incapacity Benefit so you'd be alright.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#10 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:38 AM

Jo
I'm sorry its taken so long for me to  notice your question - bad of me not keep checking.  

I'm not sure what you could do apart from telling the dr how you feel or ask to see another dr. escpecially if the dr isn't very good with mental health problems.  I know that if my GP was suggesting that its time I went back to work and I felt I wasn't ready I 'd get in a real panic about it and probably have a crying fit in front of him.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#11 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:22 PM

Hi Eileen :)

No worries about the delay . .i'd about forgotten about this thread anyway. I was having a really bad time when I posted it and scared I would have to go back on disability and panicking in case I asked my doc and he refused ;(. I am starting New Deal next week and should be starting work or something and to be honest, I am scared witless. I want to get back to work but am terrified that I will try and fail, and then lose my JSA because I am not fit to work..

#12 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:19 AM

I am just scared that my doctor might not approve it :( I am getting way ahead of myself here, because right now I feel I CAN work tho am really nervous about it, but am scared that I might have to stop and might go to the doc and have him simply say 'no, not signing anything' and then I'd wind up on the street :(

I am a bit of a worrier, as you can see!

#13 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:59 AM

I  don't think that would happen, at the worst you'd be signed off for anxiety.   I think most GPs will be understanding about this.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#14 Lindsay

Lindsay

• Super Administrators
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

You are brilliant as usual, my love.   :)

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.  
My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#15 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:40 AM

and its not working - putting a watch on a thread means that when a new post is added to the thread, an email is sent to your registerd account.  But I've received no  messages about new posts to this thread.  

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#16 Andrew

Andrew

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:37 AM

Josephine I wanted to give you some answers as I am on new deal aswell. The first and best thing to do is tell your advisor how you feel as they can get you an appointment with a disability employment advisor. I have had 2 D.E.A's first one was pants but the second was good. they will tell you about ways they have of getting in touch with agencies or employers directly. They can even arrange a work trial that dosen't affect your benefit.

My new deal advisor has my doctors phone number and name so she can call him herself if I get to the state that I can't work. The Job centre people know about benefits and the guidlines. Well the good ones do anyway.

There is a part of new deal called the option for me was suppose to of started last month but because of my condition they have delayed it untill they can set up something suitable. Because it's crowds and large groups that set me off.

So talk to them when you start new deal. Sadly you still have to do the usual looking for jobs.

hope it helps

My tutor on a 2 week course done on new deal said when I came back as I took the 2nd day off because I was physically sick all night after the impact of the first day they had more people on it than usual. He said that "I should be signed off sick for the stress of having stress"

Edited by Andrew, 12 April 2006 - 11:45 AM.

My health is a full time job

#17 2&1_angel

2&1_angel

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:02 PM

jo
if you go back to work and can't hack it and have to give up the job due to being sick, then you'd be signed off - tell your dr how worried you are  about this, I'm sure they'd understand and support you.

Eileen

I have been signed off work for this very thing,i can get a job,but then it all just goes wrong,i have a mood swing/panick attack or paranoia phase and i either get fired or leave!I dont receive any benefits as i have not paid enough ni but it is nice to know that my insurance contributions are being paid so at least my husbands taxes are being used well!
:hearts:
confusion is sanity

#18 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:35 AM

if you were single you would have been able to get Income Support if you haven't paid enought NI contributions. Its probably because your husband is earning that you can't get an IS. If you had paid enough NI you would get Incapacity Benefit.

Its worth checking out with something like Citizens Advice or even the job centre plus to see if you are eligible for help with things like Housing Benefit or Prescriptions charges etc, but it will depend on how much your husband earns.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#19 shazy

shazy

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:25 PM

hi i get incapacity benefit and have had a medical so i dont have to send in a sick note every few weeks,
a friend told me to appy for disability allowence but i dont know if i can claim that does any one here no

#20 HelenLlama

HelenLlama

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:15 PM

Disability Living Allowance is for anybody who has additional care needs due to a health problem or disability.

#21 Torchwood

Torchwood

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

Hi I'm new here,
I have suffered with depression for 5 yrs and recently (last 6 mnths) it's becoming worse - I have been going through lots of med changes yet to find a one that works.
Anyway, my hubby has had to take alot of time off work because i cant cope.

Would i be entitled to DLA because if hubby has to give up work i'm frightened we will lose the house and i'm frightened of having to move to another area.

Torchwood
Clare

I dont know whats right or whats real anymore, i dont know how i'm meant to feel anymore - Lily Allen

Insanity Is Hereditary - You Get It From Your Kids!

Current DX Borderline and Avoidant PD'S mixed and Bipolar II
Meds - Seroquel and Escitalopram

Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 connor2429

connor2429

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:25 PM

Hi I'm new here,
I have suffered with depression for 5 yrs and recently (last 6 mnths) it's becoming worse - I have been going through lots of med changes yet to find a one that works.

Would i be entitled to DLA because if hubby has to give up work i'm frightened we will lose the house and i'm frightened of having to move to another area.

Torchwood

Hi u r entitled to DLA wther u work fulltime or not at all, its not means tested so u'r partner status does not effect u'r entitlement. Bit of advise go to a specialist to fill it out or u r likely to get nothing.
Good Luck xx

#23 Torchwood

Torchwood

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

Hi I'm new here,

Torchwood

Hi u r entitled to DLA wther u work fulltime or not at all, its not means tested so u'r partner status does not effect u'r entitlement. Bit of advise go to a specialist to fill it out or u r likely to get nothing.
Good Luck xx

Hi Connor,
Thanks, what sort of specialist ?

Torchwood :hearts:
Clare

I dont know whats right or whats real anymore, i dont know how i'm meant to feel anymore - Lily Allen

Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:26 AM

the citizens advice would help or perhaps your CPN if you have one.

I could help online with some advice about what to fill in if you would like?

The forms are available by

phoning 08457 123456
or by calling the Benefits Enquiry Line on 0800 882200
contacting your local Jobcentre Plus office or local social security office

it can be hard to get DLA, but if you fill it in correctly and have good supporting evidence from your psychiatrst or GP then it is possible.

i get DLA at the highest rate of the care component

Edited by firelizardee, 12 January 2007 - 07:29 AM.

Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#25 Torchwood

Torchwood

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Connor & Firelizardee,

I dont know why they make the claiming process so hard :(

we dont have a CAB here - what we have is a Welfare Rights and i have only dealt with them once when i got them to help me fill in a DLA application for my son (severe asd) when he was first diagnosed and they werent much help - when i was telling him things about my son he kept saying "all children do that dont they " :hearts: anyway he only got middle rate for care (he's totally dependant). since then i have managed to get higher rate for him but doing one for yourself is totallly different - feels weird :bump:

Torchwood
Clare

Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 ken

ken

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

IF a doctor didnt help, CHANGE DOCTORS!

When I first went to ask for help, the doctor (who retired shortly afterwards) actually SCREAMED at me.

It didnt help my situation....... But later I saw another doctor that listened and didnt throw a fit.....

In my life I have seen many doctors only two out of those many, many doctors were useless peices of brown stuff that
dogs leave on the pavement. The rest were overworked and underpaid saints.

#27 Evening Star

Evening Star

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

Hello,

I am new here and would appreciate any advice. I've been on Incapacity for a number of years and have been exempt from the PCA but last week recieved an IB50 to complete. Needless to say I'm very scared and worried about this. Has anyone got any advice on how to get across how the illness afects a person in the small space provided?

Thanks.

Evening Star.

#28 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:41 AM

if you are exempt from the PCA then you shouldn't need to fill in this form. I think the computer system chucks them out at random people. Phone them up and say you are exempt and see if that helps.

Are you on DLA? If you are on the Highest Care of DLA you are automatically exempt from filling in this form.

If so fill in the mental health part as though it was the DLA form. I know that there isn't a lot of space but you need to get across
how anxious you feel say in crowds or going outside your house, how you need someone with you when you go outside, how lack of motivation from the depression means that you don't go out or do anything, how you don't have the motivation or concentration to cook a meal for yourself, you suffer from poor concentration because of the depression. How you worry about things. Do you have suicidal thoughts, if so put that down, do you self harm or have tried to **** yourself.

Just try and put down what it is like on a really bad day, a day when you can't get up in the morning, when you feel so depressed that you don't do anything but cry. Thats the kind of things you need to put down.

Eileen

Edited by firelizardee, 02 February 2007 - 07:44 AM.

Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#29 Evening Star

Evening Star

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

Hi Eileen,
I seem to be having trouble posting a reply...see above.

Thanks for your advice I still haven't filled in the form properly. I have not yrt claimed dla although I was advised to do so a couple of years ago. The WRO I spoke to about possibly claiming seemed to just go on about cooking a meal and I couldn't face the medical so didn't bother.

My GP told me last friday that the dwp hadn't written to him. I thought that they had to send a IB113 before an IB50 was sent out. Any advice?

This is all getting to me big time.

Evening Star.

Edited by Evening Star, 12 February 2007 - 01:35 PM.

#30 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

There is a bit more to the DLA form than just the cooking test.

However, have you phone the DWP and asked them if you have to fill it in? If you were exempt you should still be I'm thinking, but best not to wait too long otherwise they may stop your IB and put you onto JSA.

Do go and see a WRO or the citizens advice.

You need to write down how everyday things overwhelm you like official documents and letters. This form is a prime example. Also say if you suffer from bouts of crying.

I don't know if they have to send out a form to your dr before they send you a IB50.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#31 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

Here's some questions for you that might help you fill in the form:

Do you need someone with you when you are out and about? Do you get anxious when outside the house? Or inside the house? Do you constantly worry about things? Could you go to a place you don't know very well on your own - say No to this and it means that you'd need someone with you. Its all about how anxious doing these things make you. Depression and axiety go together.

Do you have problems getting up in the morning becuase of the depression? ie do you have the motivation to get up. Don't worry if you have to get up because of the kids. Its what you are like on your own. What is your motivation like? Do you neglect your personal hygiene, ie not wash or change your clothese for days/weeks, can't be bothered to wash or change clothes, just put on the first thing that comes to hand.

What are you like when official letters arrive - it sounds like you can't deal with changes to your daily routine, this form is a change to your daily routine and you are finding it hard to deal with, things like this probably make you more anxious and depressed.

Do you cook a proper meal for yourself, I know that when I'm depressed I can't/don't have the motivation to plan, prepare and cook a proper meal for myself. I rely on convenience foods or eat junk food. Again its how you would look after yourself. Do you rely on others to prepare the food.

Is dealing with things/everything just too much for you and you just want to curl up and sleep.

Do you go out or do you only go out for drs' appointments?

There is probably more in the thread you first asked your question.

Tell them also how the depression makes you feel, ie everything is black and hopeless and I'm too depressed/anxious to do anything for myself.
I hope this helps you .

Try not and worry too much about it. If it does go to a medical, do not dress up for it, just dress in your untidiest clothes possible, don't wash just get up and get dressed and when they start asking questions, tears are very good thing. Just concentrate on how bad things are for you.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#32 Torchwood

Torchwood

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:10 PM

Hi, I've sent a DLA form in and got a letter back saying they want further info off my GP, I'm worrying myself sick in case they want to see me/do a check up with their doctors, it takes me alot of effort to go to see my GP and i know her nevermind a stranger who'll be scrutinising me - if i say i cant go will they refuse my DLA?

Torchwood
Clare

Posted ImagePosted Image

#33 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:17 AM

Hi, I've sent a DLA form in and got a letter back saying they want further info off my GP, I'm worrying myself sick in case they want to see me/do a check up with their doctors, it takes me alot of effort to go to see my GP and i know her nevermind a stranger who'll be scrutinising me - if i say i cant go will they refuse my DLA?

Torchwood

its quite usual for them to get more info from the dr.

If they turn down your DLA you can appeal and that will mean going and seeing a panel but you can take someone in with you. I know its difficult but if you don't go the appeal you probably won't get DLA.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#34 BuCUE

BuCUE

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

Torchwood

If they turn down your DLA you can appeal and that will mean going and seeing a panel but you can take someone in with you. I know its difficult but if you don't go the appeal you probably won't get DLA.

I'm in this situation myself right now. I applied for DLA due to Agoraphobia (need someone with me), Bipolar (unsafe alone) and being unable to walk more than 15 minutes (mobility anyone?). Basicly I found out today they went "lalalah not listening" to my claim. And hence have to appeal it.

It's why I'm posting in the topic really. I'am looking to appeal and have requested everything (doctors reports, exact details of the reasons for it being denied etc.), so I'm now looking for where to go for advice on how to appeal and such. I understand some disability groups are regional so I probably should point out I'm in the Northamptonshire area.

Finally. How exactly do you explain you have suicidal tendancies without seeming bad enough to be put in a mental hospital? I suspect that may have been my problem, I didn't want to go "gonna die myself gimme gimme gimme" and probabky held back a lot more than I should of. I know you're ment to say everything, but as with others with social phobias discussing things isn't exactly a strong point, least of all to strangers.

Torchwood. I had a doctor come out to see me, he was very nice and polite. He asked me a bunch of questions and didn't seem judgemental at all. Just remember these doctors see people day in and day out, they have seen people much better and worse than you, so you're probably not going to be juedged beyond the basic "seems right" or "complete fraud and wanting money", which if you're honest isn't a problem :)

#35 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:39 AM

Torchwood

I'm in this situation myself right now. I applied for DLA due to Agoraphobia (need someone with me), Bipolar (unsafe alone) and being unable to walk more than 15 minutes (mobility anyone?). Basicly I found out today they went "lalalah not listening" to my claim. And hence have to appeal it.

It's why I'm posting in the topic really. I'am looking to appeal and have requested everything (doctors reports, exact details of the reasons for it being denied etc.), so I'm now looking for where to go for advice on how to appeal and such. I understand some disability groups are regional so I probably should point out I'm in the Northamptonshire area.

Finally. How exactly do you explain you have suicidal tendancies without seeming bad enough to be put in a mental hospital? I suspect that may have been my problem, I didn't want to go "gonna die myself gimme gimme gimme" and probabky held back a lot more than I should of. I know you're ment to say everything, but as with others with social phobias discussing things isn't exactly a strong point, least of all to strangers.

Torchwood. I had a doctor come out to see me, he was very nice and polite. He asked me a bunch of questions and didn't seem judgemental at all. Just remember these doctors see people day in and day out, they have seen people much better and worse than you, so you're probably not going to be juedged beyond the basic "seems right" or "complete fraud and wanting money", which if you're honest isn't a problem :)

first of all you should have told them everything, especially the bit about you being suicidal.

It may surprise you that they do turn down a lot of people because they haven't the time to look at the claim properly (they have 8 weeks to look at your claim). If you can get drs or CPN or therpaist to write a supporting letter saying that you suffer from suicidal behaviour and that you can't go anywhere on your own and really say what it is like on your worst day, you should have some success.

If the appeal doesn't work you can appeal that as well. It might be that there is some welfare officer attached to your local psych hospital that might be able to help. Have you a social worker? Have you a CPN? Have you a psychiatrist? ARe you on meds? or in therapy?

I put on my form for the treatment part that I saw my GP regularly and my Psychiatrist regularly and attended a day hospital as well as putting down the meds I was on. YOu really do have to tell them everything.

For instance when you are depressed did you say that you have problems getting up, do you wear the same clothes day after day, do you neglect your personal hygiene (not washing)? what are you like when you are manic? What are you like when you are depressed?

A letter from your family might also help, cos they see what you are like.

I'd also suggest that you go to something like Citizens Advice or do you have any local organisations for people with Bipolar Disorder - your gp should know of them.

I hope all goes well remember taht if they do turn you down you can reapply and this time put it all down, they won't put you in hospital for anything that you say.

For the cooking test, do you have the motivation or concentration to plan and prepare a meal for yourself? I'd guess that when you are depressed you dont' have the motivation or when you are manic you probably can't be bother either.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#36 BuCUE

BuCUE

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

first of all you should have told them everything, especially the bit about you being suicidal.

It may surprise you that they do turn down a lot of people because they haven't the time to look at the claim properly (they have 8 weeks to look at your claim). If you can get drs or CPN or therpaist to write a supporting letter saying that you suffer from suicidal behaviour and that you can't go anywhere on your own and really say what it is like on your worst day, you should have some success.

If the appeal doesn't work you can appeal that as well. It might be that there is some welfare officer attached to your local psych hospital that might be able to help. Have you a social worker? Have you a CPN? Have you a psychiatrist? ARe you on meds? or in therapy?

I put on my form for the treatment part that I saw my GP regularly and my Psychiatrist regularly and attended a day hospital as well as putting down the meds I was on. YOu really do have to tell them everything.

For instance when you are depressed did you say that you have problems getting up, do you wear the same clothes day after day, do you neglect your personal hygiene (not washing)? what are you like when you are manic? What are you like when you are depressed?

A letter from your family might also help, cos they see what you are like.

I'd also suggest that you go to something like Citizens Advice or do you have any local organisations for people with Bipolar Disorder - your gp should know of them.

I hope all goes well remember taht if they do turn you down you can reapply and this time put it all down, they won't put you in hospital for anything that you say.

For the cooking test, do you have the motivation or concentration to plan and prepare a meal for yourself? I'd guess that when you are depressed you dont' have the motivation or when you are manic you probably can't be bother either.

Eileen

I'm unmedicated (long story short I tried prozac thanks to a stupid doctor and ended up having a suicidal break down and won't touch pills again because of it) but I do see a couseller once a month (which I believe they also used as an excuse for denial.. as I recall them saying on the phone, but I can't recall in 100% detail so I'm waiting for the paper work). The agoraphobia restricts the help I can seek and I'm really not the type of person to ask for help at the best of times anny way, so I don't have a huge army of people to tick my little boxs saddly.

On the depressed part I explained I had a history of self harming, find i very difficult to do basic things and have suicidal thoughts. I didn't go into huge detail since there just isn't enough room to do so, but it was quite clearly spelt out.

I did have my mum fill in the "person who provides help" type thing, but she focused more on the agoraphobia rather than the Bipolar, since even when manic I'm not stupid and hence won't do really weird things while people are around. I realize it would make things more difficult later and would ruin "future plans" rather than having a little fun now. I guess it's the classic self harming being hidden thing.

That's the problem with the cooking thing. 90% of the time I can be just fine, but the other 10% of the time I'm completely unsafe to be near the cooker. Everything from elctrocuting myself with a toaster (while manic) to having self harming urges with pans of hot water. Again I didn't want to go "hey look how screwed up I'am", but I now realize they want you to "convict" yourself persay.

Is there a set of useful resources to find local groups for advice? They all have weird names and it's difficult to know which you need. :)

#37 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

even if 10% of the time you cant use the cooker then thats enough reason for you not to cook. The form has to be (must be) filled in as though it were your WORST DAY, its doesn't mater that you have good days, its the bad days you need to concentrate on.

If you look further down the pinned topics you'll see one on Disability Living Allowance, it has a web link in it to a site that gives advice on fillilng in the form.

Your local surgery or GP should have the information you need or again I'd advise you to go to Citizens Advice. Also the local council might have the information you need.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#38 HelenLlama

HelenLlama

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

How can I explain my need for :hearts: when I am really really anxious, and other ways and methods do not have the same effect as a calming method. They really do not work at all.
Also how can you explain how hyperfocusing is a BAD thing. Coz It is in my case....

#39 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:13 AM

I suppose you could say that you get really anxious and only by bathing does the anxiety go away and then put down how many times a day you need to do it. Always put down the worst day of your life. So if on a bad day you need to bath 7 times then put that down. It would make going to work impossible becuaes the anxiety would mean you couldn't work.

As for hyperfocusing -well I did a little reading on it through google and I see that it is being so focused on something to the detriment on anything else. So that you might for instance, not be aware of the time or place you are in or ignore people around you, so people might think you lack social skills. Maybe you can't get on with other tasks until the current task is finished. Just put down or describe how bad it is for you, maybe you miss meals, miss work, miss appointment, wet yourself etc.

Other symptoms of go with ADD/ADHD are:
Low self esteem
anxiety
impulsivity
hyperactivity (in some cases)
restlessness
nail biting/ fidgety
trouble with concentration
under/ over focusing
memory problems
gets lost easily
highly sensitive, emotional
trouble maintaining good relationships
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#40 HelenLlama

HelenLlama

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

I have Aspergers. Not ADD.

Will do that. Urm now to work out how many times I need baths a day....

hmmm.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users