Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Birth Order And Depression

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
219 replies to this topic

Poll: Birth Order and Depression (772 member(s) have cast votes)

What's Your Birth Order Position?

1. Voted I'm An Only Child (79 votes [10.23%])

Percentage of vote: 10.23%

2. Voted I'm An Oldest Child (288 votes [37.31%])

Percentage of vote: 37.31%

3. I'm A Middle Child (156 votes [20.21%])

Percentage of vote: 20.21%

4. I'm A Youngest Child (249 votes [32.25%])

Percentage of vote: 32.25%

Vote

#1 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

I've been a little curious about better understanding the relationship (if any) between birth order and depression. Do first born children experience depression more? Do middles? Do youngests?

I'm experiencing my first major depressive episode as a 30-something. I'm a youngest. You?

HopefulOne

#2 SpiralingMind

SpiralingMind

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

Youngest child....

Lots of very bossy older siblings. LOL!!!

#3 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

youngest
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#4 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

Oldest. I had to take care of my younger sister before and after school (and sometimes until night) while my parents worked.

#5 MichaelBlue

MichaelBlue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

This is such an interesting question, HopefulOne, that I looked into it a bit. From what I can tell, science hasn't found any clear link between birth order and depression/anxiety.

In 1962, a researcher (Schachter) found that when placed in high anxiety situations, first-born children experience MORE anxiety than later-born children. But when the study was replicated the same year by another researcher (Weller), NO difference was found in the anxiety levels between first-borns and later-borns.

Another researcher (Ingram) started a study with the premise that the oldest children in a family would have higher anxiety due to increased responsibility, striving for perfection, etc. Students from a General Psych class were asked to fill out a survey. Result: Birth order did NOT influence a person's anxiety level. But Ingram noted that her sample was small.

One 1988 study, on much younger kids, DID find a link with birth order and anxiety/depression. Researchers at the Univ of Southern Mississippi gave the Children's Depression Inventory, the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory for Children, and the Piers-Harris Self-Concept Scale to over 400 kids ages 7-12. Firstborn children scored SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER on depression than second-, third-, fourth-born, and youngest children. And firstborns showed SIGNIFICANTLY LESS trait anxiety than third-born children. First-born children also showed significantly higher levels of self-esteem than second-born and youngest children. Girls in this study showed significantly more trait anxiety than boys.

But no such results were found after one of the biggest studies ever in 2002 (Guastello & Guastello). They worked with a sample of over 500 college students and tried to see if birth order could be linked to things like "self-esteem" and "emotional stability." They found NO such personality differences based on birth order. (However, they found considerable evidence that oldest and only children have greater academic success.)

There are some studies that show a U-shaped result, in which the oldest and youngest kids get most of the parentsí attention, and the self-esteem of middle kids suffer.

If anyone finds any additional science worth noting, please fire away. Intriguing stuff!

#6 JustDown

JustDown

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:40 AM

I've been a little curious about better understanding the relationship (if any) between birth order and depression. Do first born children experience depression more? Do middles? Do youngests?

I'm experiencing my first major depressive episode as a 30-something. I'm a youngest. You?

HopefulOne

I'm the oldest of 3 and had my first "understood" depressive episode (crying, vomiting, general despair) when I was 33. When it returned a year later (9/11 kind of set it off) I was finally able to understand and accept it and get help. My younger sister (the middle child) has also been in therapy.

#7 Isabeau

Isabeau

• Platinum Member
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:38 AM

Middle child, just always got treated differently>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>maybe because I was girl :hearts:
IS-A-BOW
© AJ

We're our own dragons as well as our own heroes,
and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.

#8 Beagle85

Beagle85

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:23 AM

Im the youngest, and experiencing my depression episode's in my 20's

#9 mental_facade

mental_facade

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:57 AM

I am an only child though my circumstance is a bit skewed.

My mother passed away suddenly 17 years ago. When my father remarried in '93, my stepmother had two children from a previous marriage that were 3 years younder than I, and 6 months younger than I.

My father and stepmother regularly visit her children and their families -both her sons are married with children, wheras I rarely get a visit from my father. I am single (but dating) and without kids. This past year was the first time Ive seen him in 4 years. I feel as though he has pushed away everything including myself that had anything to do with my mother which leaves me many times feeling isolated (I live 1200 miles away from my father)
If you find yourself in need of a hug, you can have one of mine. I have plenty to spare.

#10 Deet

Deet

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

Oldest of four boys, only I have depression/anxiety.
MOM!!! Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!!!

DX: Major depression/general anxiety
Rx's: Effexor, Lexapro, Lex/Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin, Buspar/Wellbutrin, Zoloft/Wellbutrin, Stablon, Cymbalta, Remeron, Nuvigil, and amoxapine in various combinations. Oh, and Xanax and trazodone from time to time.

#11 fishguyUMD

fishguyUMD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

I'm the youngest. I started having severe depressive episodes when I was 19, but had more mild ones throughout my teenage years.
Information supplied on Depression Forums should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#12 kc74water

kc74water

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

:hearts:

missing my boys

I am so sad, I have been going through a rough time sadness is my best friend right now. Can't sleep and I have dreams of loosing them, I can't keep going like I am.. I have lost 35 pounds and I am still loosing.. Not trying to. I had my bladder removed in October and I am still recovering from that. My ex-husband doesn't let me see my 2 wonderful boys and I am so sad because I have not done anything to him to deserve this, He knows I suffer from bi-polar and Post tramatic syndrome, I have depression... I have been sick for 5 years and I am not getting any better. I have Interstitial Cystistis, and I have chronic fatigue syndrome, and I am so depressed.. Oh, I feel so alone I wish I could fly away.. and never hurt again.. I just don't understand why I have to suffer so much.. I believe in God,, He is what keeps me going, Please pray for me, I am so alone, Kimberly

#13 no1really

no1really

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

as a student of birth order, this is a fascinating question. however, in patterns of depression occurring, nurture would have a bit to do with it as well as biological make-up, therefore i cannot see where one theory would fit all in this instance.
"never look back or too far in front of me. the present is a gift and i just wanna BE." - common

#14 Gimmik

Gimmik

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

Oldest
I was an only child till I was about 13
Doctor Blind

#15 oddjob3

oddjob3

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:04 AM

missing my boys

I am so sad, I have been going through a rough time sadness is my best friend right now. Can't sleep and I have dreams of loosing them, I can't keep going like I am.. I have lost 35 pounds and I am still loosing.. Not trying to. I had my bladder removed in October and I am still recovering from that. My ex-husband doesn't let me see my 2 wonderful boys and I am so sad because I have not done anything to him to deserve this, He knows I suffer from bi-polar and Post tramatic syndrome, I have depression... I have been sick for 5 years and I am not getting any better. I have Interstitial Cystistis, and I have chronic fatigue syndrome, and I am so depressed.. Oh, I feel so alone I wish I could fly away.. and never hurt again.. I just don't understand why I have to suffer so much.. I believe in God,, He is what keeps me going, Please pray for me, I am so alone, Kimberly

Kimberly,

You have been through a great deal of pain; it's OK to feel sorrow for events like this. This is a wonderful safe place where people support each other. Please remember that you are not alone out there and please keep posting; we are listening and praying for you.

#16 Larry

Larry

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:25 AM

missing my boys

You deep and intense pain is present in every word you write. (((((Kimberly))))) You know that I am suppose to say that with God inside, you are never alone, but sometimes those are just nice words that do not seem true.

Dear God, Kimberly feels alone. Feeling alone is one of the worse feelings we know. You, Lord, know the feeling also. "Why have You forsaken me?" You cried out before dieing. Please meet Kimberly deep inside of her sorrow. Please comfort her Father. It is hard to be human Lord. When we do not feel Your presence, we rely on faith and belief, and when we lack faith is when we need it the most. Please show Kimberly the good that You will bring to her because we know that all things work for good for those who love You and are called according to Your purpose. Her body is in pain as well. Please restore her body to perfect health if You will. All this and more I ask in the name of Jesus, Your son, our Lord, and through the intercession of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

#17 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:03 PM

It is said that the middle child of 3 suffers - they are the baby until the 3rd child arrives ....... why that should make any difference unless there is a huge gap between each birth I could never understand. I think it's general nuture and circumstances plus a bit of genetics that cause depression. Especially as people become depressed at many different ages ...... I am the eldest of 2, I have nothing in common with my sister, I had depression as a teen which I dealt with and depression in my 30s which needed medication. Lots of different reasons, I was in different situations, time and place .........
Lizzy
Any change is scary even when we want it Posted Image

#18 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

I am the oldest, but my brother and I are 11 years apart. Due to this big age difference, we each were raised almost as only children. I have no idea what, if anything, this says about my illness. Any thoughts?
-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#19 Jamie_73

Jamie_73

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:03 PM

No room for twins?! I am a twin!!!!!!
the man who was mortally wounded in war kept on fighting
the man who was cut to the quick by love kept on loving
the man who was mercilessly tortured by thoughts kept on thinking
the man who was crippled with concern kept on caring

#20 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

Dear Lost In The Past,

I took care of my Dad and brothers while my Mom worked afternoons. My Dad came home and ate, slept and back to his business. I know what it's like to have no life when growing up with too much responsibility and I think it makes for anxious adults. I think we learn that we're responsible with little developed coping skills because we're just children. I know I can handle tons of responsibility as an adult, but that doesn't help my anxiety disorder, does it?

Anyhow, I'm the middle of two boys and my older brother had depression and anxiety. I think it may have something to do with whether or not you had parents home to raise you, too. Mine both worked because they had to. Not because they wanted gops of money. We we're lucky to get by.

I was the only girl, so I got things because of that. My oldest brother got things because he was first. I understand these things better now, that I have my own children. My daughter that is the oldest gets things because she's the oldest. My son in the middle is the only boy and gets things because he's our only son. My youngest daughter gets things because she's the baby. I think she gets a raw deal because I no longer do different things that I did when the other two were real young. It was easier to do things with two who were the same age, so I am still doing these little things for the youngest. It's confusing as a parent and I have to sort things out or someone will get ignored. I guess I pay big attention to these details because of how I was raised.

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#21 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:09 PM

Just curious, Jamie...does your twin also suffer depression?

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#22 Jamie_73

Jamie_73

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

Just curious, Jamie...does your twin also suffer depression?

-Bean

She tends to as well, but she's stronger than me, and manages better. Could be women are just stronger... Besides, she has a daughter, and perhaps is because of her as well if she is such a fighter...
the man who was mortally wounded in war kept on fighting
the man who was cut to the quick by love kept on loving
the man who was mercilessly tortured by thoughts kept on thinking
the man who was crippled with concern kept on caring

#23 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

She tends to as well, but she's stronger than me, and manages better. Could be women are just stronger... Besides, she has a daughter, and perhaps is because of her as well if she is such a fighter...

Good point, Jamie. I have an older sister who is similar to me emotionally, but she has a family, devoted husband, two bright and adorable kids, and the sweetest dog you've ever met. It really fills her life with meaning. She's told me many times that if she didn't have that, she wouldn't be able to function.

This raises an important issue about gay children like us. We generally don't have the same societal and familial support that our straight siblings have. My older brother is also gay, and he's been wandering, unfulfilled for most of his life. I think that being gay really increases the chances of being depressed. Not because it's wrong of course, but because it can be lonely and exhausting.

:shocked: :hearts: :shocked: (((((((Jamie))))))) :blush21: :bump: :tear2:

Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#24 nitenurse

nitenurse

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:18 PM

im an only child. 1st what i now think was depressive episode at about 9-10, diagnosed at 17, 31 now. Fow me i think its a genetic thing....its just in me. dnt think its got anything to do with being an only child or anything like that. is an interesting thought tho.

#25 crunch87

crunch87

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

I'm the youngest of three girls, but I also was molested at an early age.
Sheila

#26 claire158

claire158

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

I just wanted to share with you all and advert I heard on the radio earlier, they were talking about psychoanalysis, if it wasn't your mothers fault, blame your father :hearts: had a little chuckle to myself.
" A friend is someone who reaches for your hand but touches your heart"

#27 eeyore79

eeyore79

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

LOL...Claire....i blame both....!!!!!! :hearts: :bump:

Im the youngest, although didnt really feel like it as my brother 'left' (okay kicked out of) home when he was 15 and i was 8 and didnt see him again so felt pretty much like an only child most my life.

#28 thegoodfight

thegoodfight

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

youngest, but my big sister, my only other sibling, has depression too, and has it more severely most of the time
'if you see the fire-eater's wife......tell her I heard what she said that night' - tori amos

#29 Aerial

Aerial

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

I'm the big sister--my sis is two years younger and suffers from depression, too. She has battled drug addiction in the past, something I've never gotten into. After my first depression, I got help with counseling and this most recent bout has required meds and counseling. Gahh--it's a rotten thing to deal with but, I think it runs in the family.
Posted ImagePosted Image

"We've been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we've done..."

(Song of Bernadette, lyrics by Leonard Cohen)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." James Taylor

#30 Firefly

Firefly

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

I'm the youngest.
But my other siblings go through their own emotional turmoils too.

Edited by Firefly, 10 February 2008 - 09:21 PM.

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.' - Dr. Suess

#31 Larry

Larry

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:38 PM

I am two years younger than my older brother. He is the good son, and I the opposite. And I still cannot adequately answer the question so often put to me by my father, that is, why can't I be more like my brother.

#32 nova

nova

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

Middle!

#33 rayhope

rayhope

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:49 AM

Youngest but my older Sister has had her bouts. Not as dramatic as mine but most certainly it runs in the family.

#34 ilhan

ilhan

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:06 AM

I am an only child.

#35 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

Oldest of 2
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#36 TransparentOne

TransparentOne

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

Ahhhh yes the birth order....
I have an older brother and it has always seemed as if I kind of get the second hand treatment, or however you want to put it. If the entire family was together and I was to suggest something my idea would most likely get shot down whilst if my brother was to back me up then all of a sudden it seems like a good idea to everyone....apart from it being aggravating it kinda makes me feel as if my opinion/feelings don't take priority. Now maybe the fact that he is seconding whatever it is I am suggesting they'll think twice about it...but it definitely seems as if he has a bigger influence in certain matters than I do....definitely frustrating. My family respects me, my brother especially - so it isn't like I am purposefully put down or anything, my parents never belittle me on purpose....but it just seems as if subconsciously this is how these things go....almost as if since I am the youngest I am more liable to come up with something irrational but in fact it isn't. It just seems as if, say, my idea wasn't well though through or something - like they won't bother to even think about what I said unless he seems to agree. I dunno, maybe I am crazy, tho I don't really think so but....D***, sometimes I can't help but feel I don't get taken seriously. I apologize if this doesn't make any sense as I am kind of hung over - tried to drink myself to sleep last night in the hopes that I would be able to just sleep through this day which seems to only remind me that I have no one to really spend the day with or celebrate with.....not like it isn't my fault as it definitely is but....I dunno.....just trying to vent I guess. Why couldn't I be born first!? I guess I kid about that, not entirely serious as I am not in a dysfunctional family or anything.....it just seems as if since I am the youngest I tend to have irrational ideas and such.....eh, who knows tho.

#37 Aerial

Aerial

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

After reading these posts, I tend to think that birth order may not have much to do with depression. I'm an oldest child and I know I feel (and have felt) the burden of "living up" to expectations, a strong sense of duty to meet those expectations, an attitude of perfectionism and trying to set "a good example."

A second or youngest child could certainly feel "second best" or "second place" yet, many of the youngests I know have high self esteem, feel free to try new things, are more extroverted and grow up with "loosened up" discipline or rules.

I think so much depends on the temperament of the depressed person and how his/her family functioned as he/she grew up. Then, that very unique person puts his own spin on all the happenings of childhood and life, in general.
Posted ImagePosted Image

"We've been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we've done..."

(Song of Bernadette, lyrics by Leonard Cohen)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." James Taylor

#38 MissYou009

MissYou009

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:25 AM

I'm 17, and in the older group of kids in my family. I have 2 older brothers, then there's me. After me, there's my 13 year old sister who's the middle child. After her, there's 2 more younger sisters and a younger brother.
Previous Diagnoses: Adjustment disorder w/a depressed mood, GAD, OCD.
Previous meds: Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Lamictal, Zyprexa, Depakote, gabapentin, Geodon.

New Diagnoses: Bipolar II, OCD
New meds: Seroquel XR 200mg , Lexapro 20mg.

#39 keren_za

keren_za

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

I am the youngest. The trouble maker.
"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself."

#40 kon42

kon42

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

I am the oldest child (one younger brother no sisters), and i began to be majorly depressed when i was 16. I also spent a lot of time taking care of the house and my brother, as my dad always came home late from work, and my mother passed away when i was 10. Oh and my brother doesn't seem to have any emotional problems. Overall though, after looking through the responses i don't think that there is a significant correlation between birth order and depression.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users