Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stillprettysilly

My GAF Score...help

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

My attorney has been keeping me up to date and just received my records from my pdoc. I had a GAF of 50. What does that mean? Does that help or hurt my SSDI case?

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I went into MSN and searched on GAF Score.  Then go to the GAF FAQ tab.  It lists severity of symptoms, and level of functioning for various numerical ranges.  Hope this helps.  (I'm not good at inserting links.)        deb

Posted

<font color='#736AFF'>Deb, you forgot the link!

Here's something I found... about the Gaf Score

Maybe this will help... I've personally never heard of it before, but then, I've only held my own small businesses... never dealt with insurance except through my husband's large company that he works for.

I'll keep looking</font>

Posted

The GAF or Global Assessment of Functioning Scale is a number that reflects your current level of psychological, social, or occupational functioning.

Posted

<font color='#736AFF'>This site will tell you ALL the criteria that goes into consideration

Try this Link

I hope it helps. You'll have to scroll down to get to it.

Good luck and happy reading.</font>

Posted

Sorry, I didn't catch this thread sooner. As an FYI to anyone using GAF on their claims, the lower the number, the less you function in day-to-day activities. A score of 50 is relatively stable and able to function. Mine was in the low 20s when I applied.

Sheepwoman :hearts:

Posted

I came in at 21 at my first counseling session.  It wasn't until I did some research on the web, that I found out what the Gaf, is.  The counselor was shocked I was still able to get out of bed, get dressed, and go to work (couldn't get anything done, though).

I didn't really start feeling bad for myself until I found out what the score meant. :hearts:

karen

Posted

Purplerain,

My doc was shocked that I could even make it into her office. I had let myself "go" so much that I forgot about personal hygiene, how to dress, eating, etc. I am a lot better than 4 years ago-maybe up to 35, lol.

Sheepwoman :hearts:

Posted

Honestly, I couldn't tell you what my GAF is right now.  It fluctuates, and I can tell you that.  What helped my SSDI case was that I was in treatment for depression and that depression was my life (if that makes sense).  In other words, I was unable to make any money at all because I was in full time treatment.

I will let you know that the frustrating thing with the GAF is that they only use it for one thing.  They will say "this is your GAF" and think that is how you are all the time.  For example, if I am in an ok frame of mind, my GAF is what it says it is.  However, when I am at my lowest (and it fluctuates all the time), then my mental health status is so variable.  If I am inpatient, then my GAF is very low.  I don't know if I confused you more.  This is where it gets even more frustrating because I have learned to fight and advocate for myself...and well, that just makes others think that I am highly functioning.  I am highly functioning <i>if</i> all the pieces of the puzzle are in place...make sense?

As far as your SSDI case goes...most all the time, a person gets rejected their first time...I was...

Hope I was a little helpful..

Cosmic

Posted

I left everyone hanging in this thread. I did win my case on the first try. It was about 3 months after filing that I got my approval. SO, 50 GAF is okay for winning your case.

Posted

Congratulations, SPS!!!!!

Posted

Sorry, I didn't catch this thread sooner. As an FYI to anyone using GAF on their claims, the lower the number, the less you function in day-to-day activities. A score of 50 is relatively stable and able to function. Mine was in the low 20s when I applied.

Sheepwoman :baaa:

hi all i was reading this thread and was wondering iven been hospitalized 5 times this year for my major depression and anxiety and they gave me gaf score all five times 25 30 gaf ive been threw alot threw my life fighting my depression my mothers death me being homeless for over a year living on the streets here in ohio ive applied for both ssd and ssi but denied for ssd not enough work credits and im waitng for ssi decison went to my mental exam was a wreck couldnt remember numbers i also couldnt remember the three words the lady had me repeat five minutes later. ive been getting help from this mental clinic for my depression like free medicine counsling does anyone know if i have a good chance of approval i never apealed ssd cause im waiting for my ssi decision

llover likes this