Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

My GAF Score...help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:13 PM

<font color='#736AFF'>This site will tell you ALL the criteria that goes into consideration
Try this Link
I hope it helps. You'll have to scroll down to get to it.

Good luck and happy reading.</font>

#2 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:02 PM

The GAF or Global Assessment of Functioning Scale is a number that reflects your current level of psychological, social, or occupational functioning. It is based on a scale where the low end represents the most impairment and the upper end reflects the least difficulty. It goes in ranges of increments of 10. A 50 is in the high side of 41-50. The DSM describes it as "serious symptoms (e.g.,suicidal ideation, severe obsessional rituals, frequent shoplifting) or any serious impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., no friends, unable to keep a job). Hope this helps and I am sorry I can't help with your questions about your SSDI case. Your lawyer should have some insight about how low the GAF should be to qualify you for disability.

Katie :cool1:

Katie

#3 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:52 PM

<font color='#736AFF'>Deb, you forgot the link!

Here's something I found... about the Gaf Score

Maybe this will help... I've personally never heard of it before, but then, I've only held my own small businesses... never dealt with insurance except through my husband's large company that he works for.

I'll keep looking</font>

#4 stillprettysilly

stillprettysilly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:14 PM

My attorney has been keeping me up to date and just received my records from my pdoc. I had a GAF of 50. What does that mean? Does that help or hurt my SSDI case?

#5 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:29 PM

I went into MSN and searched on GAF Score.  Then go to the GAF FAQ tab.  It lists severity of symptoms, and level of functioning for various numerical ranges.  Hope this helps.  (I'm not good at inserting links.)        deb
...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#6 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:55 AM

Sorry, I didn't catch this thread sooner. As an FYI to anyone using GAF on their claims, the lower the number, the less you function in day-to-day activities. A score of 50 is relatively stable and able to function. Mine was in the low 20s when I applied.
Sheepwoman :hearts:

It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#7 PurpleRain

PurpleRain

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:53 PM

I came in at 21 at my first counseling session.  It wasn't until I did some research on the web, that I found out what the Gaf, is.  The counselor was shocked I was still able to get out of bed, get dressed, and go to work (couldn't get anything done, though).

I didn't really start feeling bad for myself until I found out what the score meant. :hearts:

karen

#8 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,847 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:55 AM

Purplerain,
My doc was shocked that I could even make it into her office. I had let myself "go" so much that I forgot about personal hygiene, how to dress, eating, etc. I am a lot better than 4 years ago-maybe up to 35, lol.
Sheepwoman :hearts:

It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#9 cosmicfaerie

cosmicfaerie

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:04 PM

Honestly, I couldn't tell you what my GAF is right now.  It fluctuates, and I can tell you that.  What helped my SSDI case was that I was in treatment for depression and that depression was my life (if that makes sense).  In other words, I was unable to make any money at all because I was in full time treatment.

I will let you know that the frustrating thing with the GAF is that they only use it for one thing.  They will say "this is your GAF" and think that is how you are all the time.  For example, if I am in an ok frame of mind, my GAF is what it says it is.  However, when I am at my lowest (and it fluctuates all the time), then my mental health status is so variable.  If I am inpatient, then my GAF is very low.  I don't know if I confused you more.  This is where it gets even more frustrating because I have learned to fight and advocate for myself...and well, that just makes others think that I am highly functioning.  I am highly functioning <i>if</i> all the pieces of the puzzle are in place...make sense?

As far as your SSDI case goes...most all the time, a person gets rejected their first time...I was...

Hope I was a little helpful..

Cosmic
The discovery of the seeds initiated a means to change myself.
To become a person capable of loveing wholely but never forgetting completely.
The change was welcomed; and armed with the knowledge that growth doesn't happen immediately, I began.
~Unknown

#10 stillprettysilly

stillprettysilly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:34 PM

I left everyone hanging in this thread. I did win my case on the first try. It was about 3 months after filing that I got my approval. SO, 50 GAF is okay for winning your case.

#11 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:08 AM

Congratulations, SPS!!!!!
Life is hard, but God is good.

Pam Thum

ados for Depression Forums Administration
Original DF join date: October 25, 2001 Posted Image

#12 llover

llover

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Sorry, I didn't catch this thread sooner. As an FYI to anyone using GAF on their claims, the lower the number, the less you function in day-to-day activities. A score of 50 is relatively stable and able to function. Mine was in the low 20s when I applied.
Sheepwoman :baaa:

hi all i was reading this thread and was wondering iven been hospitalized 5 times this year for my major depression and anxiety and they gave me gaf score all five times 25 30 gaf ive been threw alot threw my life fighting my depression my mothers death me being homeless for over a year living on the streets here in ohio ive applied for both ssd  and ssi but denied for ssd not enough work credits and im waitng for ssi decison went to my mental exam was a wreck couldnt remember numbers i also couldnt remember the three words the lady had me repeat five minutes later. ive been getting help from this mental clinic for my depression like free medicine counsling   does anyone know if i have a good chance of approval i never apealed ssd  cause im waiting for my ssi decision 

• llover likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users