Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Paxil side effects - tired!!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Shazzam

Shazzam

ID: 519

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 11:55 PM

Hello,
I was on paxil previously for a year and am just coming off two years on Zoloft. These wer taken for depressiona nd anxiety. I have gained a total of 40-45lbs from these drugs albeit Paxil was the worst. Has anyone tried Meridia to lose the weight from their anti depressants?
Please share if you have as I have been given an Rx for the drug to shed my anti depressant covering so to speak. :hearts:

#2 Swede

Swede

ID: 23

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 04:49 PM

Tirdness is a common start up side effect that unfortunatley lasts for 4-8 weeks but slowly subsides.  However, know that Paxil is the most sedating of all the SSRI's so that can be a bit of a double whammy!

Swede

#3 Natedogg

Natedogg

ID: 414

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:14 PM

bebo,

About three years ago I took Paxil for over a year.  At first it was energizing/stimulating, but over time I began to feel tired and lethargic, and wanted to sleep all the time.  Because of that and the sexual SE's, I eventually switched meds.

How long have you been on the Paxil?  It is one of the more sedating of the SSRI's, so sleepiness isn't an uncommon side effect. :sleepy:
Natedogg

"Woof Woof"

#4 ratt

ratt

ID: 673

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 07:12 PM

What would you do.. I have been on paxil for 5 weeks now. The last 9 days at 30mg. I think I ramped up slow but have had a hard time from day one. I have been on pax and WB in the past and had very little issue or SE's. Why is it so hard this time. I only started to take it for GAD and now I am a wreck!. I have anxity 80% of the day (taking Klonopin) tired, lazy, feel like I have the flu, getting strang thoughs in my head I never think of and OCD is setting in... How fast can I go back.. cut back 15mg?  It's been 5 weeks now.. or should I sweat it out another week.. or Zoloft?? I think I need to start clean again but want to do it as fast as possable.. GP dr appointment next tues..
Thanks

#5 Sammy

Sammy

ID: 214

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:21 PM

I took Paxil (off and on) for about 3 years. It was always sedating, but it cured my anxiety and depression, so I kept taking it and tolerated the fatigue. What eventually led me to quit Paxil, despite it's benefits, was the combination of several adverse reactions to Paxil--sedation, sexual dysfunction,  and  weight gain. If they (scientists, drug companies)  found a Paxil-like antidepressant  that didn't have these dismal side effects I'd take it again starting tomorrow. One more problem with Paxil, was the difficulty in stopping it--unless I switched to another antidepressant, I had a very difficult time tapering off the Paxil.
none

#6 davinz

davinz

Just Registered

ID: 709

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:23 PM

i been depress for about 3yrs and just recently i tried Aropax and i also get tired from it..its the exact same feeling like when you come off of xtc...? maybe its too strong for me...i dont like the feeling of it so if anybody wants to be the drug off me pls send me an email or pm. thanks.

#7 bebo

bebo

ID: 256

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:22 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else experienced tiredness as a side effect of paxil?  I got very tired and sleepy and unfortunately, it kinda feels like depression so I cant tell if it is a side effect or the depression hanging on.  I do usually feel better if I lay down for 45 minutes but I dont want to have to do that forever.

Any suggestions or experiences?

bebo

#8 bebo

bebo

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:24 PM

Hi Nate,
I have been on paxil for 2 months.  It is the only med that has made me so tired and lethargic - I can live with that except it feels so much like depression.  I just hope it is working - I do feel better except this side effect. Thanks for the input.

bebo

#9 Ronnie

Ronnie

ID: 27

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:51 AM

Paxil was the first AD I ever took.  I loved its effects, but it too made me to tired.  One day I asked my Pyschaitrist if there is a medication that give me exactly the same benefits to help with my anxiety/depression (more anxiety) without the sedation.  He said YES, and prescribed me Prozac.  It worked great and I had no problems switching.  Good Luck.

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 

As needed: Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:43 PM

I always have trouble sleeping when I'm on Paxil (I'm pretty sure it's the medication because before I was sleeping like fourteen hours a day - way too much), and only after one in the morning did I start settling down . . . I've also gained some weight, but so far I haven't tried to lose it or anything.

#11 bebo

bebo

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:42 PM

I was wondering if anyone switched from taking paxil in the morning to at night and if it helped with the tiredness.  I have been on paxil since June 12 and I am still tired!!

Thanks for any input,
bebo

#12 patti_cake

patti_cake

ID: 300

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:41 PM

I have been on Paxil cr for a week now. I started at 25 mg and tommorow I will take 50mg. I have been so tired through out the day, that I am over doing my caffiene intake just to fight off the fatige. I have a 2 yr old so I can't just lay down when the mood strikes. I am worried that if 25 made me that tired what will 50 mg do to me.

#13 brownykitty

brownykitty

ID: 732

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:50 PM

:bump: Hey bebo, I am on day 21 of my max of 20 mgs regular paxil and yes at first i was so tired, but it goes away after a few weeks, i also take klonopin and i am trying to wean off 3 mgs, it seems worse then the depression i had.. mine is all gone, i feel so much better mood wise, give it a chance..i had zero side effects also and i can sleep all night, yayyyy, it will work for you, take care.... :hearts:
LOREE (o:

#14 brownykitty

brownykitty

ID: 732

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:01 PM

:talktohand:Hey Shazzam...i was on paxil for over 8 years and had headaches from it, my new doc had a brainy idea to take me off of it and put me on wellbutrin to stop headaches, sure it stopped the headaches but ohhh depression and anxiety hit hard, so i am back on paxil 20mgs day 21, the weight gain is because any ssri will slow your metabolism down, it isn't the pill gaining you weight it is whatyou eat and how much activity you do, i watch my carbs and i exercise a hour a day 30 mins in the morning and 30 at night, you don't have to do as much as that, i just like to exercise, i havent gained a ounce, eat healthy and exercise and that weight will be off in no time, take care... :wave:
LOREE (o:

#15 lastcall1969

lastcall1969

Just Registered

ID: 504

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:24 PM

Hello!

I have been on Paxil for about a year now and I'm now 2 weeks paxil free.  I have a few questions
regarding this pill.

First I took this pill for GAD because I was always worried about getting sick, hiv, heath problems, fear of flying, money problems, and family problems.  I would just think the worst is going to happen, but after a year of paxil I can say most of those fears are gone!  I have ask my doctor to take me off because I gained 15 pounds and I think I fell a lot better now.  can anyone here tell me how long does it take to lose the weight? or is there something I can try to lose weight quicker or any advice on my issues.

Thanks much,
Dario

#16 bebo

bebo

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:40 PM

Hi all,

I am still on paxil (actually pexeva) for 5 months and still have some tiredness.  I also take abilify but stopped it about 5 days ago just bec I thought I could do without it.  Well now I am tired and emotional!  Has anyone tried this combination? I am not that familiar with abilify but my pdoc recommended it for anxiety.  

Also, if you switched from paxil to another AD due to tiredness side effect, what would you recommend?  I was on effexor and wellbutrin but that combo has pooped out after 4 good years!

Thanks alot,

bebo

#17 bebo

bebo

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:41 PM

Hi all,

I am still on paxil (actually pexeva) for 5 months and still have some tiredness.  I also take abilify but stopped it about 5 days ago just bec I thought I could do without it.  Well now I am tired and emotional!  Has anyone tried this combination? I am not that familiar with abilify but my pdoc recommended it for anxiety.  

Also, if you switched from paxil to another AD due to tiredness side effect, what would you recommend?  I was on effexor and wellbutrin but that combo has pooped out after 4 good years!

Thanks alot,

bebo

#18 Swede

Swede

ID: 23

• Platinum Member
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:04 PM

I am having great difficulty with sleep because of Zyprexa and Paxil.  I have been on them for years but lately I am totally fatigued during the day.  I take 50mg of paxil and am cutting my 15mg dose of Zyprexa in half.  I need some restful sleep...not just the knocked out sleep I get from the meds.

Swede

#19 canacool

canacool

ID: 357

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:02 PM

Swede, its weird that you mention that, l have been taking paxil for years to, and when l start to feel alot better, and thinking l could reduce, l get very tired in the day. I think when paxil has done its job, and things get back to normal, it for some reason makes us really tired in the day. Try reducing it, if you feel like you can. Of course with the doc permission, but that is what l have done in the past. And it has always worked for me, l feel alot less tired.

#20 LAS

LAS

Advanced Member

ID: 1597

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

I take 12.5 mg at night - started it less than a week ago and it's kicking my tail - I'm so sleepy during the day and trying to work, I hate being so tired!  Even the 150 mg. of WB isn't helping.  Does this tiredness really go away?  How about the sexual SE's - do they go away?
"Love's A State of Mind" - SN

#21 robster

robster

Just Registered

ID: 1055

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:51 PM

I'm with the majority here. It was very sedating, but excellent for anxiety and panic. I was on it for 4 years and as high as 60mg and liked it alot better than the Luvox.

#22 Sammy

Sammy

ID: 214

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:11 PM

I was curious as to why Paxil made me so much more tired than other antidepressants, such as Zoloft, Lexapro, and Effexor, so I looked it up.

Paxil is the only one of the more common, newer antidepressants that has an anticholinergic effect--which means that it blocks the transmission of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine, which acts in the brain and throughout the body. Acetylcholine is an activating brain neurotransmitter, involved in learning, memory, and general energizing and arousal. When it is blocked, as Paxil does, the absence of acetylcholine neurotrasmission can cause sedation, lethargy, and cognitive dulling.

That's to the best of my understanding.
none

#23 JW OLDBUSA

JW OLDBUSA

ID: 1251

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:47 AM

Stay positive, Stay active and (I) found energy this way. If I let the tiredness make me sit down I only stay tired. Get active and you will find energy. Or at least it works for me. The depression used to drag me down worse.
Trust God, Clean house, Help others

#24 leonarda

leonarda

Platinum Member

ID: 34

• Platinum Member
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:53 AM

I like your thinking, JW OLDBUSA. I also try to act ''as if...''...I wasn't tired, slow, anxious...
I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
(Edgar Allan Poe)

#25 JW OLDBUSA

JW OLDBUSA

ID: 1251

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:06 AM

The tiredness goes away for me if I stay active. The sex se's are always there, sometimes worse than others.
Trust God, Clean house, Help others

#26 starr

starr

Silver Member

ID: 1886

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:49 AM

Hi all,

I still have the tiredness and fatigue from the paxil (after 1 1/2 yrs) so I have been taking ritalin to counteract it. It worked but I was worred about longterm effects so Istopped it. Is anyone taking something that helps with the fatigue from thepaxil? I also took provigil which worked but costs a fortune so I had to stop. I exercise a lot but I still cant seem to shake the fatigue. I am on a very high dosage though(80) so we may try coming down some if I can.

Thanks and best wishes,
starr

#27 phildocom

phildocom

ID: 4910

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

STARR

I have been on Paxil for coming on 5 years and I complained and complained about the sleepiness to my doctor. Finally about a week ago, they started me on Dextrostat (which I know is alot cheaper that provigil). I have had no side effects and I'm back on a "normal" sleeping schedule (7-8 hours a day), and it's great. Luckly I have been on Supplimentary Security Income (SSI), but it bothered me that my life was going nowhere. Finally, I think that I'm on the right track to being successful in life.

P.S. I'm on 60mg Paxil, 45mg Remeron (non-ssri antidepressant), clozaril 200mg (antipsychotic), and 20mg Dextrostat (stimulant amphetamine)

#28 ados

ados

Platinum Member

ID: 29

• Platinum Member
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:57 PM

My psychiatrist prescribed dexedrine as well as cutting my AD dosage in half. He said that often people who are depressed need that extra boost of an amphetamine-type med to help with their motivation. I have found it helps tremendously, although my family doctor is not happy that I am taking the dexedrine. I have cut back on my dex. dosage to try to please the family doc, and am now taking just a small dose but it seems to help me be more motivated.

My husband found the same sort of tiredness and lack of motivation; he decided to go to the same pdoc that I do. He also had his AD dose halved, and was started on provigil. He feels that combo works very well.
Life is hard, but God is good.

Pam Thum

ados for Depression Forums Administration
Original DF join date: October 25, 2001 Posted Image

#29 yanks6621

yanks6621

ID: 4965

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:53 AM

I experienced tiredness for about a week and 1/2...it stops and now I feel great!

#30 agabluecat

agabluecat

ID: 2459

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

Hello all,

I was just reading thru this thread and can you tell if Provigil is addictive? What side effects are there to this med?

I am taking Celexa atm but its not working too great. Tried Paxil before but had to give up due to the side effects.

#31 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

bluecat,

I am going to suggest that you post this question in the Other Meds room; you will probably get more help there.

I can say that my husband takes provigil and likes it a lot. He doesn't take it every day (though at first he did). On days when he has had a good sleep the night before, or maybe on his days off work when he doesn't have a lot planned, he skips the med. He has found that if he takes it too late in the day it might keep him from getting to sleep. But other than that he has had no side effects and really likes provigil.

Check out the Other Meds room - you may find lots more info there!

Pam Thum

#32 agabluecat

agabluecat

ID: 2459

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestion :)

#33 Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl

ID: 5496

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:08 AM

I started paxil 2 days ago. I'm only taking 5 mg's right now because I am very sensitive to meds.I have to work up to a regular dose really slowly. It is making me tired all day but last night I couldn't sleep. I really hope I can sleep tonight

#34 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:27 AM

CG - Try to be patient. It is still very early with the new med. Give it more time, but if you continue to have trouble sleeping let your doctor know.

Karen

Pam Thum

#35 Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl

ID: 5496

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:54 PM

Well, Its been 4 days now and I still am not sleeping very well. But other than that Im not really having side effects so thats good.It seems like I don't dream all night long until the morning right before I have to wake up. I certainly feel drowsy during the day though.

#36 FA 2

FA 2

Admin Team

ID: 12

• Super Administrators
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:16 PM

Still early! It can take up to a couple of months for the med to fully kick in, and often that is about the same time the side effects go away. Hopefully your sleep will straighten up sooner, though! Keep us informed on how you are doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users