Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Does A Cycle Last ?:(

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pittguy578

pittguy578

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

I have posted a few times in this forum. I started to become depressed in October..it has gotten worse and this is the worst it has been. How long does a "cycle" last in terms of depression or downturn? I can't remember being down for this long at one time with very few "Good" days. I have been on lamictal..hasn't worked. Been trying supplements. Not worked. The nurse case manager in our corporate office looked over my FMLA claim..I told her I was having suicidal ideations (something I have never had before) She told me to go on disability ASAP. I just feel like people will be talking about me and it will hurt my career:( This has been the worst 3 months of my life.
Is there anything that could be physically wrong that could be causing this? I was dx'd bipolar-mom is bipolar. I have had intermient depression before (cycles) but nothing this low for this long:(

#2 Larry

Larry

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

I have posted a few times in this forum. I started to become depressed in October..it has gotten worse and this is the worst it has been. How long does a "cycle" last in terms of depression or downturn? I can't remember being down for this long at one time with very few "Good" days. I have been on lamictal..hasn't worked. Been trying supplements. Not worked. The nurse case manager in our corporate office looked over my FMLA claim..I told her I was having suicidal ideations (something I have never had before) She told me to go on disability ASAP. I just feel like people will be talking about me and it will hurt my career:( This has been the worst 3 months of my life.
Is there anything that could be physically wrong that could be causing this? I was dx'd bipolar-mom is bipolar. I have had intermient depression before (cycles) but nothing this low for this long:(

The most maddening aspects of Bi-Polar, at least for me, is that the cycles are not always predictable. For the past six months or so, I have been on a week to a week and a half cycle with mild circles of a day or two in between. I don't know if there is a normal cycle. Everyone may be different. Also, again, speaking for myself, my cycles vary as I get older and depending on my stress level which right now is as high as the sky is wide.

Getting a physical examination is always a wise choice. None of our systems operate in isolation. The body, mind, soul, and spirit are intimately connected for now. Like a mobile, any motion in any part effects all other parts.

Hold on tight, bi-polar is a wild ride.

Love,
Larry

#3 Hircon

Hircon

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

It varies wildly. Without working meds, my cycles are usually in the space of every 2-4 days.

But alot of people only get a few cycles a year.
I know one truth.
There is always hope.

#4 Dan76

Dan76

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

It varies wildly. Without working meds, my cycles are usually in the space of every 2-4 days.

Is itnormal for those who have bipoar to break their promises and not answer their phones or return emails when depressed?

#5 euthyphro

euthyphro

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:41 AM

Is itnormal for those who have bipoar to break their promises and not answer their phones or return emails when depressed?

i think this is common for depressives in general. when i get depressed i completely shut down socially. my roomates think i hate them because suddenly i'm such a recluse. and i know i've lost friends to depression simply out of neglect. so it's important to keep up relations, even if it's just a friendly phone call. i ave to force myself to answer the phone even when i'm hating the world and everyone in it, because i know from experience that when the clouds part again i'm going to miss the friends i lost.

as for frequency of cycles, i don't know if i'm bipolar, i was diagnosed as such when i was 13, but i'm not sure it was or still is accurate. i do know i go most of the year very happy, with one or two depressions that last days to weeks. as i've gotten older it seems like i get depressed less often, but when i do it's much worse and lasts longer.
In the beginning God told a joke. The joke was humanity, life is the punchline.

#6 BrianReadingPA

BrianReadingPA

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

You say you are bipolar but do not seem to mention that you are in the care of a psychiatrist. So my question there is are you taking the proper meds for bipolar?

But that said, it does not help the fact that you are in a bad depressive state. People talking at work? I am sure that they talked about me; in fact I know they did because it was so obvious. I got better and they got over it. I assume my problem is an open secret or an open mystery. If you can, keep going to work as it at least forces your mind onto something else. I was terribly unproductive but I went in every day.

How long does it last? Depends on the person. For me it seems these awful episodes take up to 6 months.

If you need to talk send me an email.

Brian

#7 AcidicJuiceMotel

AcidicJuiceMotel

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:37 AM

I cycle within hours or days. I'm somewhere close to Clycothymia, though, not Bipolar I.
Maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again...

#8 HelenLlama

HelenLlama

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:26 AM

I cycle within hours or days. I'm somewhere close to Clycothymia, though, not Bipolar I.

I have bipolar traits and I am the same... I cycle within hours
what is worse is I cannot notice "little" swings of emotion and only larger ones. And other people who are like me are noticing too.

#9 loveistherisk

loveistherisk

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:37 PM

I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else...
I go thruogh phases every couple weeks where i'm mostly either high or low. but then within those phases i go up and down a bit too, sometimes a couple times a day.
it's hard to explain, but i notice that say for example i'm really depressed for a couple weeks, and i don't want to do anything, i'll go through higher bits, but not quite even hypomanic. it's like i go up and down within depressed, but then up and down within manic, kind of.
anyone else know what i'm talking about?

#10 fishguyUMD

fishguyUMD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

Very much so. I cycle rapidly, sometimes several times a day, or even multiple times an hour. What you describe is not unusual. I normally have periods where a mood type is predominant (either depressed or manic - more the latter lately), but the rapid cycles are nested within these larger periods. Lamictal has helped me quite a bit with this, and now my moods tend to stay more constant within a phase.

Cheers
Information supplied on Depression Forums should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#11 Reborn

Reborn

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

I don't return phone calls when I'm depressed. My best friends know this, and they know that I'll snap out of it eventually. Others just give up on trying to reach me. I respond to most e-mail, but I ignore some too. As for mail, it often takes me three weeks to open or read it, and I never respond.

I really don't break promises though. I simply do not make them. But that's just part of my personality. I hate breaking promises, and I absolutely do my best to avoid lying to anyone.
I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid! Why must people always equate the two?

#12 OnlyZ

OnlyZ

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

When I have a mood swing it usually lasts just a couple hours. I can wake up fine, cry all during my lunch, and then have enough energy to dust and vacuum the house from top to bottom after dinner. I am glad that this is how my cycles work now. With medicine I am usually at baseline, and when I am off I know it never lasts. Sure beats being depressed for months at a time like I was earlier in life.
[This Space For Sale]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users