Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pittguy578

How Long Does A Cycle Last ?:(

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I have posted a few times in this forum. I started to become depressed in October..it has gotten worse and this is the worst it has been. How long does a "cycle" last in terms of depression or downturn? I can't remember being down for this long at one time with very few "Good" days. I have been on lamictal..hasn't worked. Been trying supplements. Not worked. The nurse case manager in our corporate office looked over my FMLA claim..I told her I was having suicidal ideations (something I have never had before) She told me to go on disability ASAP. I just feel like people will be talking about me and it will hurt my career:( This has been the worst 3 months of my life.

Is there anything that could be physically wrong that could be causing this? I was dx'd bipolar-mom is bipolar. I have had intermient depression before (cycles) but nothing this low for this long:(

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I have posted a few times in this forum. I started to become depressed in October..it has gotten worse and this is the worst it has been. How long does a "cycle" last in terms of depression or downturn? I can't remember being down for this long at one time with very few "Good" days. I have been on lamictal..hasn't worked. Been trying supplements. Not worked. The nurse case manager in our corporate office looked over my FMLA claim..I told her I was having suicidal ideations (something I have never had before) She told me to go on disability ASAP. I just feel like people will be talking about me and it will hurt my career:( This has been the worst 3 months of my life.

Is there anything that could be physically wrong that could be causing this? I was dx'd bipolar-mom is bipolar. I have had intermient depression before (cycles) but nothing this low for this long:(

The most maddening aspects of Bi-Polar, at least for me, is that the cycles are not always predictable. For the past six months or so, I have been on a week to a week and a half cycle with mild circles of a day or two in between. I don't know if there is a normal cycle. Everyone may be different. Also, again, speaking for myself, my cycles vary as I get older and depending on my stress level which right now is as high as the sky is wide.

Getting a physical examination is always a wise choice. None of our systems operate in isolation. The body, mind, soul, and spirit are intimately connected for now. Like a mobile, any motion in any part effects all other parts.

Hold on tight, bi-polar is a wild ride.

Love,

Larry

Posted

It varies wildly. Without working meds, my cycles are usually in the space of every 2-4 days.

But alot of people only get a few cycles a year.

Posted

It varies wildly. Without working meds, my cycles are usually in the space of every 2-4 days.

Is itnormal for those who have bipoar to break their promises and not answer their phones or return emails when depressed?

Posted

Is itnormal for those who have bipoar to break their promises and not answer their phones or return emails when depressed?

i think this is common for depressives in general. when i get depressed i completely shut down socially. my roomates think i hate them because suddenly i'm such a recluse. and i know i've lost friends to depression simply out of neglect. so it's important to keep up relations, even if it's just a friendly phone call. i ave to force myself to answer the phone even when i'm hating the world and everyone in it, because i know from experience that when the clouds part again i'm going to miss the friends i lost.

as for frequency of cycles, i don't know if i'm bipolar, i was diagnosed as such when i was 13, but i'm not sure it was or still is accurate. i do know i go most of the year very happy, with one or two depressions that last days to weeks. as i've gotten older it seems like i get depressed less often, but when i do it's much worse and lasts longer.

Posted

You say you are bipolar but do not seem to mention that you are in the care of a psychiatrist. So my question there is are you taking the proper meds for bipolar?

But that said, it does not help the fact that you are in a bad depressive state. People talking at work? I am sure that they talked about me; in fact I know they did because it was so obvious. I got better and they got over it. I assume my problem is an open secret or an open mystery. If you can, keep going to work as it at least forces your mind onto something else. I was terribly unproductive but I went in every day.

How long does it last? Depends on the person. For me it seems these awful episodes take up to 6 months.

If you need to talk send me an email.

Brian

Posted

I cycle within hours or days. I'm somewhere close to Clycothymia, though, not Bipolar I.

Posted

I cycle within hours or days. I'm somewhere close to Clycothymia, though, not Bipolar I.

I have bipolar traits and I am the same... I cycle within hours

what is worse is I cannot notice "little" swings of emotion and only larger ones. And other people who are like me are noticing too.

Posted

I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else...

I go thruogh phases every couple weeks where i'm mostly either high or low. but then within those phases i go up and down a bit too, sometimes a couple times a day.

it's hard to explain, but i notice that say for example i'm really depressed for a couple weeks, and i don't want to do anything, i'll go through higher bits, but not quite even hypomanic. it's like i go up and down within depressed, but then up and down within manic, kind of.

anyone else know what i'm talking about?

Posted

Very much so. I cycle rapidly, sometimes several times a day, or even multiple times an hour. What you describe is not unusual. I normally have periods where a mood type is predominant (either depressed or manic - more the latter lately), but the rapid cycles are nested within these larger periods. Lamictal has helped me quite a bit with this, and now my moods tend to stay more constant within a phase.

Cheers

Posted

I don't return phone calls when I'm depressed. My best friends know this, and they know that I'll snap out of it eventually. Others just give up on trying to reach me. I respond to most e-mail, but I ignore some too. As for mail, it often takes me three weeks to open or read it, and I never respond.

I really don't break promises though. I simply do not make them. But that's just part of my personality. I hate breaking promises, and I absolutely do my best to avoid lying to anyone.

Posted

When I have a mood swing it usually lasts just a couple hours. I can wake up fine, cry all during my lunch, and then have enough energy to dust and vacuum the house from top to bottom after dinner. I am glad that this is how my cycles work now. With medicine I am usually at baseline, and when I am off I know it never lasts. Sure beats being depressed for months at a time like I was earlier in life.