Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ados

How long till paxil worked well for you?

How long till paxil worked well for you?   54 members have voted

1. 1. How long till paxil worked well for you?

• 1 week
    • 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 1 month
    • 6 weeks
    • 2 months
    • Other (please explain)
    • Never (please share...)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

51 posts in this topic

Posted

So, how long did it take before you found real help from paxil?  Please add comments as well; it can be a big help to paxil newbies to learn from our experience!

Karen

You might also be interested in:

Posted

My experience with paxil went something like this:  When I began paxil, I started at 20mg but within a couple of weeks my doc upped that to 40mg.  While it seemed that there was some improvement within the first week (I began to be able to function a bit and felt like perhaps there WAS hope to feel better), I didn't feel as if I was functioning well for about 2 months.  It was like after a couple of months I suddenly realized, "Hey, I feel almost good again!"

So, that answers the part about when paxil worked for me.  I have had further experiences that I've shared in other threads.  But for the basics of when paxil became effective for me, I'd say it took a couple of months -- a long time to wait, but the results were worth it!

:)

Karen

Posted

it never worked any good for me.

i was on it for about 6 - 7 weeks, that time was spend upping the dosage by 5 mg per week (starting with 5mg), up to 20, then weaning at the same pace. all the doc said when i wanted to tell about the really unbearable side-effects i had(which had started about an hour after the very first dosage, and got worse and worse) was that, can you endure it a bit more, you just have to continue take it and it will help you after a while (according to her, absolute minimum therapeutic dosage being 20mg but me going to have to up to 60mg to get it working - huh????) ...well i didn't want to give up hope too soon.

looks like i have this uncanny ability of being able to endure too much.

at 20mg it had gotten far beyond endurable and i said so. was told to stop then. so i weaned down again and stopped. i'm glad i survived that horror trip.

i'm sorry to have such a negative story about the paxil, i know it's not like that for everyone, many do get a lot of help from it, so please don't get discouraged by my story. it said above "please share..." so i though okay, as you ask... and i tried to keep it 'matter of fact' and not 'complaining', hope that's okay. my personal opinion (although not asked for, i know) is that IF you have really bad side effects and you know you've endured much hard/difficult things before (so probably you're not exaggerating when you say this is too much - but still maybe you're thinking so bad of yourself that you'd rather just tell yourself "don't be a ninny" or such and don't realize how strong you had been at those other times... :( ), then please do trust your feeling, and don't think you have to go on trying by all means or because someone else says you should.

now i hope many more positive votes and reports will come here, i know that i am one of those few unlucky (statistically really very few!) with really bad exp, and i don't want to get 'paxil newbies' to think it's all-bad cuz it isn't.

Posted

It never worked for me either, sorry to say.  I became a nervous, paranoid wreck on it.  Not to mention physical problems.  I tried it for 3-4 months...can't remember.  And it was well, the start of the worst time in my life.  My mom didn't know what was wrong with me, so she had a nervous breakdown over the pressure of worrying about me, because I didn't know what was wrong with me either.

Posted

Well I've been on 25mg time release and today is day 8.  I think I've been very lucky to not get much as far as physical side effects.  No stomach aches, no headaches.  No insomnia though my sleeping has felt sort of strange lately.  I did however get even more depressed and anxious for the first couple days on it.  I have to say I woke up today and felt pretty good.  I don't know if that's the paxil or just me having a good day but since I don't seem to have any bad side effects, I'm definitely going to stick with it and see how it does me.

Posted

Hey, mynah & Elven, thanks for sharing even though your experiences weren't good.  It helps to get a full picture.  And no med will work great for everyone, we just have to give them a try and find what is best for us.  Elven, it sounds like you gave it a full trial and it just didn't work for you.  I hope you've found something to help you.  Mynah, probably you weren't on the paxil long enough or at a high enough dosage to know whether it would have helped your depression and/or anxiety ---- but as you said, the side effects you had from paxil did not allow you to try it longer.  It is too bad you had to go through what you did; I'm glad you at least learned through that experience to trust your own instincts and feelings.  And thanks for your encouraging words to help others to do the same.

Thanks again to both of you for sharing.  I do hope that you both have found something that works well for you!

I am sure that in time we will get responses from more folks.  Don't be discouraged, anyone!  There is a med or a combo that will work.  We just need to keep trying and be patient!

Karen

Posted

I voted 2 months...but in fact was a little longer. I had quite harsh side effects and those lasted for months. But eventually it was worth it.

I started on 10 mg, went up to 20 and am now on 30 mg. I only had problems with my start-up dose, increasing it didn't bring additional side effects. Take care all!

Posted

i was on 40mg of paxil for about 3 months.  didn't really seem to work out all that well.  after a while i started to notice how edgy and mean i was around everyone.  it made my anxiety far far worse than it was before i started taking it.

that stuff turned me into a real jerk!

Posted

Hi, six years ago l started on 10mg, then went to 20mg, that worked great for a very long time. Then after a while l had to take 30mg, because the dose eventually has to increase because it doesnt work as well as before. Now l am taking 40mg, and its still doing the trick, l had some side effects more so with the higher doses. But they always subside after a month on the new dose, this drug has been a god send for me, it completely took the anxiety and depression away.
Mike44 likes this

Posted

This poll is turning out to be very interesting.  It seems like - so far at least - paxil either works tremendously well after a couple of months, or it doesn't work at all.  Thank goodness there are other meds to try, and for some of us, thank goodness for paxil!!!   :D

Posted

Well its been 3 weeks on 40mgs i'm feeling a little better but not great yet. 20 mg paxil worked so good for 1 1/2 years but 1 morning I woke up and the anxiety was back just like before. should I give the 40s more time maybe they will work also.

Thanks TITAN

Posted

Titan--Yes give it the full 6 weeks before giving up on it, l hve been there. I felt the same way wondering why the 30mg didnt work anymore, so we increased to 40mg, and had to wait the 4 weeks again, was horrible because l waited so long for relief. But after 4 weeks on 40mg, l started to feel myself again----thank-goodness. So now lm still on the 40mg and so far so good. Hang in.

Posted

Thanks Canacool I'll give the 40 mgs more time.This forum helps so much

Thanks TITAN

Posted

Paxil reduced my anxiety after 10 days, but it took awhile longer to eliminate the depression.

Posted

Hey Sammy its been 2 months since i jumped up to 40 mgs of paxil. I Got paxil poopout with 20s they worked great for 2 years. The 40s haven't kicked in yet maybe its time to switch meds what do you think.

Thanks TITAN

Posted

I've been using it for 2 weeks now.  I'm not sleeping at night (awake every hour or so) and then find myself sleeping half the day.  I have no energy to do anything and I'm getting irritable with my kids.  My doctor has told me it should make me feel better after a couple of weeks so I'm hoping things get better soon.  I've heard horror stories about it, but the previous meds made me constantly nauseous so I'm giving this a go.

Posted

Paxil started working for me after 2-3 months.

Posted

Got the full effect of it after 3 weeks. It made wonders for me for 2 years. I guess I was lucky. I've heard though that you will never get the same positive effect as the first time with Paxil. I mean, not as good the second time you try the medication out. Is this true? Because with Paxil I felt almost 100% well actually. Been almost 4 weeks with Prozac at the moment. Still waiting for the full effect. Hopefully as good as with Paxil. It was great.

/ Andrew

Posted

The first 2 months were an emotional roller coaster. Depression sometimes worse. Sometimes more panic attacks. Sometimes like on LSD. Then I finally felt calm and depression relieved. The first time in my life 54 years. Still great today!

5 years now!

Mike44 and mimomimo like this

Posted

This is day number 8.

Posted

2 weeks....but I had to increase my dose in a month

Posted

I started paxil back in 98 at 20mg. I swear I began to feel incredible in a couple of days. I was great for a few years, had to increase it to 30mg, but it seems as if it is not working so much anymore. I have tried to increase it to 40mg, but I felt more depressed. Is this normal and should I try that again and stick it out? Thanks

Posted

frosk,

I ended up at 80mg paxil after being on and off it at various doses. Paxil has always been my very favorite AD (of course everyone is different), but at the high dose after a year or so I felt like all my feelings were numb. After talking to my doctor about it I switched to prozac.

I wonder if your doc might try adding a mild relaxant while you adjust to the increased paxil dose? Keep working with him/her; you will get it right. It just takes a lot of patience!

Posted

Posted

Had taken Zoloft for 3 years and stopped for a month -- Dr. Prescribed Paxil - took it for 8 weeks and became more depressed over the 8 weeks plus had bad sexual side effects. Went back on Zoloft and felt fine again within 2 weeks.