Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Before Citalopram Starts To Work?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 DoctorDre

DoctorDre

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

I have been on Citalopram (20mg/day) for 10 days now and my depression is no better. In fact it is worse. And I have anxiety now too. Also I feel so lethargic and lazy it is unbelievable.

How long does it take before it starts to work somewhat?

I am very saddened and frustrated by its very slow progress if at all.

Is 20mg too low a starting dose?

Thanks.

#2 nitenurse

nitenurse

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

I have been on Citalopram (20mg/day) for 10 days now and my depression is no better. In fact it is worse. And I have anxiety now too. Also I feel so lethargic and lazy it is unbelievable.

Thanks.

20 mg is the lowest therapeutic dose and is the usual starting dose for citalopram. it can take up to about 6 weeks to feel full effects. some people will notice some effects within the 1st few weeks but u shouldnt really dismiss any AD until u have been taking it at least 6 - 8 weeks. it is frustrating when u just want to feel better but they do take time to get into the system and really start having an effect.
some ADs do actually increase anxiety or depression in the short term. if it gets too bad it wouldnt be a bad idea to speak to ur doctor. it is quite common tho.
i never experienced tiredness with this AD but they effect everyone differently...i found mirtazapine sedating but i know other people who havent. it should wear off a bit when ur body gets used to it but again if it doesnt speak to ur doctor. u do need to give it a bit of time tho.

#3 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

Thanks.

DocDre --

I've taken Celexa. 20 mg is a standard starting dose. Some folks start to feel the positive effects within days, some within the first few weeks. You may feel your depression dip and experience some increased anxiety in the first couple weeks. Those are standard side effects. So is the lethargy. Build up takes time... It's like a dimmer. Very gradual. Try to be patient (it's hard, I know!). In the meantime, take it easy on yourself. Your brain is just beginning to (re)wire positive connections...

Best to you.

HopefulOne

#4 DoctorDre

DoctorDre

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:53 PM

[/quote]
20 mg is the lowest therapeutic dose and is the usual starting dose for citalopram. it can take up to about 6 weeks to feel full effects. some people will notice some effects within the 1st few weeks but u shouldnt really dismiss any AD until u have been taking it at least 6 - 8 weeks. it is frustrating when u just want to feel better but they do take time to get into the system and really start having an effect.
some ADs do actually increase anxiety or depression in the short term. if it gets too bad it wouldnt be a bad idea to speak to ur doctor. it is quite common tho.
i never experienced tiredness with this AD but they effect everyone differently...i found mirtazapine sedating but i know other people who havent. it should wear off a bit when ur body gets used to it but again if it doesnt speak to ur doctor. u do need to give it a bit of time tho.
[/quote]

In 6-8 weeks I will probably be dead!

I took Mirtazapine too. Tried it for a week and it was so sedating I could not even drive a car. So I had to stop it. Also it made me short tempered.

Oh well, I will keep taking Citalopram in the hope that it will start to work... one day.

#5 nitenurse

nitenurse

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:39 PM

In 6-8 weeks I will probably be dead!

I took Mirtazapine too. Tried it for a week and it was so sedating I could not even drive a car. So I had to stop it. Also it made me short tempered.

Oh well, I will keep taking Citalopram in the hope that it will start to work... one day.
[/quote]

:hearts: if u feel like that u really should call a crisis line and also get in touch with ur dr asap. they may be able to give u something for the anxiety and also some mood stabilisers work more quickly in my experience. just something to help in the short term until the citalopram kicks in.
also it can take up to 4 - 6 weeks but a lot of people will feel some benefit after a few weeks so if u have been taking it 10 days hopefully u may start to notice an improvement soon. i hope so anyway

Edited by nitenurse, 25 January 2008 - 05:41 PM.

#6 Countryman

Countryman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

give the lex 2 weeks and be carefull about what you think about all the time. most of my depression was all the negative stuff i filled my head up with -wht-

#7 Guest_john_v_r_*

Guest_john_v_r_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:59 AM

It may work for some people, but for me 20mg only gave me side effects. When I increased to 30mg it started to work on my depression. At 40mg, it really helped with anxiety, though lethargy was a problem. Wellbutrin is a popular addition to Celexa to counteract the sluggishness and sexual side effects. The combo worked well for me last year and I'm starting it up again.

After a couple of weeks at 20mg, if you're not feeling any benefit at all, talk to your doctor about increasing the dose. But be prepared for the anxiety side effect with each increase. It was uncomfortable but limited to 1-2 days for me.

Edited by john_v_r, 26 January 2008 - 01:00 AM.

#8 dondi2538

dondi2538

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:58 PM

I just talked to a friend who is also experiencing the same effects of anxiety and lethargy. He said it lasts mainly until the afternoon hours. I suggested that perhaps he should try taking it at night. When my doctor prescribed it for me he said it would make me sleepy and to take it at night. So far it has only made me sleepy one time so I take it in the mornings. I hope you begin to feel better.

#9 renegade_00

renegade_00

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

I just talked to a friend who is also experiencing the same effects of anxiety and lethargy. He said it lasts mainly until the afternoon hours. I suggested that perhaps he should try taking it at night. When my doctor prescribed it for me he said it would make me sleepy and to take it at night. So far it has only made me sleepy one time so I take it in the mornings. I hope you begin to feel better.

I started taking mine at night too because it makes me kindof sleepy and nautious. As time goes on (been almost 3 weeks) the side effects seem to lessen. Also the good effects seem to increase marginally.

#10 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:30 PM

Thanks.

Anti-depressants take sometimes months for the effects to reach full potential. At the moment I would say you're a couple of weeks away from noticing the effect. For me it took months but I was on a very low dose (10mg).

As for the side-effects, I recommend riding them out, as most of them wear off after a couple of weeks, maybe longer. Don't be too quick to give them up for the side effects as you will have a longer experience of coming off them and starting a new medication.
Beating depression since 2007

#11 chantillylace

chantillylace

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

Well then, I must be v. different
as my dosage is 5 mg.
been on about one month now
and do feel better

but must say.. it does give some lethargy
when I take it.. ie not much seems to bother me
immediately after taking it
then effect wears off a bit

also at night.. sometimes I wake up early
but many have issues with sleep

Now, I dont want this dose increased

so, how would they do a taper off this
such a small amount, I imagine you would still notice
quitting the meds??? 5 every other day or so

I also take BP meds, so combined
and do notice my BP has dropped..

The days are getting a bit brighter, so feel
better and I am doing a lot of pro-active work
to help self.. likely am older than most of you
as well

Tks in advance

Chantilly
Namaste

Chantillylace

#12 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:53 AM

Well then, I must be v. different
as my dosage is 5 mg.
been on about one month now
and do feel better

but must say.. it does give some lethargy
when I take it.. ie not much seems to bother me
immediately after taking it
then effect wears off a bit

also at night.. sometimes I wake up early
but many have issues with sleep

Now, I dont want this dose increased

so, how would they do a taper off this
such a small amount, I imagine you would still notice
quitting the meds??? 5 every other day or so

I also take BP meds, so combined
and do notice my BP has dropped..

The days are getting a bit brighter, so feel
better and I am doing a lot of pro-active work
to help self.. likely am older than most of you
as well

Tks in advance

Chantilly

To taper off 5mg? Depends how long you've been on it. I imagine the doctors will advise a couple of alternate days for a week and then come off it altogether.

#13 chantillylace

chantillylace

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:00 AM

ONLY l month

I would think that as well
not much to do with 5 mg.

Thanks..

best to you

Chantilly
:)
Namaste

Chantillylace

#14 joebill

joebill

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

This is my first post here. I have been been on citalopram for 6 1/2 weeks now. Started at 20...went to 30 after 3 weeks. I too thought it would never kick in. I had horrible side effects as well. I hung in there and things slowly started to get better after 3 or 4 weeks for me. At 6 weeks, there was no doubt. My depression is gone....Zilch. I have recently started feeling euphoric. It is incredible. HANG IN THERE!!!!

#15 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:10 PM

This is my first post here. I have been been on citalopram for 6 1/2 weeks now. Started at 20...went to 30 after 3 weeks. I too thought it would never kick in. I had horrible side effects as well. I hung in there and things slowly started to get better after 3 or 4 weeks for me. At 6 weeks, there was no doubt. My depression is gone....Zilch. I have recently started feeling euphoric. It is incredible. HANG IN THERE!!!!

YAY Joebill!!!!!! That's fantastic news! We're always so happy to hear stories like yours. Yes, it really is amazing when that black blanket lifts. Thanks for sharing! :hearts:
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

"It ain't never no use puttin' up your umbrell' till it rains!"
-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#16 plastikstar

plastikstar

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

the medication has already started to work. Anxiety etc are side effects. The depression gets better after about 3 weeks. In week 3 I suddenly became very relaxed and happy and excited about life. After a while that feeling stabilizes and calms down and you may find that you want to up the dosage because you may start to feel like you're not on the ADs anymore.

#17 aries woman

aries woman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:39 AM

hey, i 've been wondering some similar --ish things.

i've been taking citalopram for at 40 mg for 5 weeks today. I believe i was on 20 mg for 4 weeks. at 20mg, i had some improvement, which didn't last. two weeks ago i had a few days where i was doing very well, but then the benefits seemed to die. i know they say to give it 6 weeks, as if it's the magic number, but this improvement hasn't maintained itself, so i don't know that i believe another week will make a difference. (?)

it is true that i have stopped crying so much and for so long. but, my biggest problem is this horrible fog. i can't think clearly, i feel cut off from my thoughts, i am a writer and i can't write. i feel like my stream of consciousness has died. this is the depression, and not a side affect, b/c it's been like this prior to the meds. after starting the meds, i did have a few gloriously mentally clear days, where i felt like myself, it was 3 weeks into the 40mg. i normally love literature and philosophy, but when i feel like this i don't give D***. i also have some anxiety. i'm a college student and today i was rather freaked out in class, which was absurd, b.c we were just talking about Jane Eyre

so frustrated, i don't know what to do.
You do not credit me with your discretion
-Sylvia Plath.

#18 number1usjoe

number1usjoe

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:13 PM

i've been taking citalopram for at 40 mg for 5 weeks today. I believe i was on 20 mg for 4 weeks. at 20mg, i had some improvement, which didn't last. two weeks ago i had a few days where i was doing very well, but then the benefits seemed to die. i know they say to give it 6 weeks, as if it's the magic number, but this improvement hasn't maintained itself, so i don't know that i believe another week will make a difference. (?)

it is true that i have stopped crying so much and for so long. but, my biggest problem is this horrible fog. i can't think clearly, i feel cut off from my thoughts, i am a writer and i can't write. i feel like my stream of consciousness has died. this is the depression, and not a side affect, b/c it's been like this prior to the meds. after starting the meds, i did have a few gloriously mentally clear days, where i felt like myself, it was 3 weeks into the 40mg. i normally love literature and philosophy, but when i feel like this i don't give D***. i also have some anxiety. i'm a college student and today i was rather freaked out in class, which was absurd, b.c we were just talking about Jane Eyre

I am on 60mg for 8 weeks today and I only had like 3 days of energy over a week ago.

#19 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

Some anti-depressants begin to work and suddenly stop again for a few days. It can be the nature of the medicine but it does get better. I notice I have a period of feeling in love with the world, then two days later I feel this effect is lost, I have been on the medicine for two months. Over a few days they begin to work again without me having to do anything.

The meds can make people a lot more anxious, and it's best just to not think too hard about them not working as it all contributes to anxiety.

Edited by kirkwuk, 19 February 2008 - 10:13 AM.

#20 aries woman

aries woman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:27 PM

Some anti-depressants begin to work and suddenly stop again for a few days. It can be the nature of the medicine but it does get better. I notice I have a period of feeling in love with the world, then two days later I feel this effect is lost, I have been on the medicine for two months. Over a few days they begin to work again without me having to do anything.

The meds can make people a lot more anxious, and it's best just to not think too hard about them not working as it all contributes to anxiety.
[/quote]

That is kind of what it's like, I'm like "Yes! I can think more clearly. Life is beautiful. I am not apprehensive anymore." And then it will suddenly it dies. But if the med does truly work at times, does that mean the med is the right one for you? I've had two and a half good days again... :hearts: I hope it's stays this way for awhile.
You do not credit me with your discretion
-Sylvia Plath.

#21 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

That is kind of what it's like, I'm like "Yes! I can think more clearly. Life is beautiful. I am not apprehensive anymore." And then it will suddenly it dies. But if the med does truly work at times, does that mean the med is the right one for you? I've had two and a half good days again... :hearts: I hope it's stays this way for awhile.

The problem is going onto the meds, then coming off them and going onto another one. The process is draining. I've learned it's best just to hang in there, tomorrow might be the same, or different. If you don't look into it too much it's a lot better.

#22 charlotte_90

charlotte_90

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

I started on 20mg to and had similar side effects, but after a month i started to improve.
Hope you do aswell soon.
x

#23 zamardii

zamardii

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

Thanks.

20mg is a just fine starting point. I'm just now heading into my 7th week, and it has taken me this long to feel like my old self again. So hang in there!

#24 Chester Cheetoh

Chester Cheetoh

Silver Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

the anxiety, nausea etc go away after 2-3 weeks.

Hang in there

#25 Izzy85

Izzy85

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

Every meds act different on everyone. I started taking lexapro for the second time on Feb. 25th and it's still not working all the way, (well at least I think) and I still get kinda sick from it. Again, I'm pregnant so I have absolutely now idea how it's working this time. First time I took lexapro, back in August 2006, it took about a month to kick in with 2 weeks of nausea. It scared me so bad this second time to see that people would start feeling better after just a few weeks cause I was still SO anxious, depressed, thoughts going 100 miles an hour, no sleep, etc. I say hang in there, stick to the meds for at least 3 months, then you can discuss to your doctor about it.

I'm starting week 6 and I steel feel nauseous after I take the pill.

Edited by Izzy85, 08 April 2008 - 01:56 PM.

#26 Guest_HeadCase_*

Guest_HeadCase_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

give the lex 2 weeks and be carefull about what you think about all the time. most of my depression was all the negative stuff i filled my head up with -wht-

What's WHT?

#27 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

Thanks.

Welcome to my world.

It took Citalopram over six months to work on me, although the doctor was insistent I stick with 10mg because i seemed to cope alright.

All anti-depressants take time to work. Be patient.

Edited by kirkwuk, 17 April 2008 - 12:45 PM.

#28 simpleblue

simpleblue

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

for me it took about 2 months to become stable, and about 1-2 years to fully work and find the right dose. a long time, but worth it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 DarkTower

DarkTower

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

I also am on the 20mg Celexa (going into my 5th week now). This past sunday-wednesday i felt great, back to my old self; unfortunately thursday evening i dipped back down into the depression which has continued to today. I really hope the meds pull me back out soon, but reading all of your experiences also comforts me to know that we're all in this together. Does it become a lot more stable at the 6-8 week mark? I'm hoping this time the depression feelings are short lived, but I'll keep on with it!

#30 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:15 PM

DarkTower --

Glad to hear you're hanging in there! Unfortunately, AD build-up isn't always a linear process. I remember dipping back down into a low at my week 6 and then I rebounded and hit a fairly stable plateau at the end of week 7. Everyone's different. I hope you hit your plateau sooner! It can be discouraging to sink back when you desperately want to feel consistently better, but you'll continue to gain positive results with each passing day. Keep on keepin' on, DT. Wishing you continued strength and perseverance! The wait is worth it...

Best,
HopefulOne

Edited by HopefulOne, 25 April 2008 - 10:16 PM.

#31 DarkTower

DarkTower

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

These medications are so tricky, I feel like i have no control over them anymore. I had started feeling really anxious and depressed on the Celexa (20mg), so I decided (foolishly) to ask my doc to put me back on effexor XR. Now the reason I got off effexor to begin with was it was making me irritable and pretty cold (i had been on it for a few years in fact). Even though I felt depressed, I still felt more 'human' on celexa. So that's been this past week was taking the effexor and being put back in a pretty big funk, and now I think i'm going to put my body through the ringer again and go back to the celexa. The doc also put me on some buspar to help with the sexual SE's and irritability but I haven't gotten any relief from that yet. I'm just such at a loss of what to do now.

--DT

#32 Jamesy

Jamesy

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

Hi folks,

I'm on my 3rd day of citalopram at 10mg, i've read that a few of you were saying that 20mg is the minimum dosage..maybe the doc put me on 10 cause I reacted bad to Prozac a few weeks back.

Already i've felt some effects, I feel alot more mellow and relaxed. I was already getting tired because of the anxiety so i'll see how it goes. :)

#33 seeeker

seeeker

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

DarkTower --

Glad to hear you're hanging in there! Unfortunately, AD build-up isn't always a linear process. I remember dipping back down into a low at my week 6 and then I rebounded and hit a fairly stable plateau at the end of week 7. Everyone's different. I hope you hit your plateau sooner! It can be discouraging to sink back when you desperately want to feel consistently better, but you'll continue to gain positive results with each passing day. Keep on keepin' on, DT. Wishing you continued strength and perseverance! The wait is worth it...

Best,
HopefulOne

I was actually on 10 mgs of citalopram for 2 yrs and it was just the right dosage. Yeah, 20 can work (for me), but I started to feel increased side effects, while 10 was just enough to allow the real me to surface. I also noticed therapeutic effects very quickly, with a increase in energy and enthusiasm in 24-48 hours. However my sex life eroded badly so now I am off all meds completely. good luck!

#34 millymooo

millymooo

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:48 AM

Thanks.

I know excactly how you feel.... I suffered from anxiety about three years ago and the first two weeks of taking citalopram were hell, i felt vile but after the two weeks i started to feel a bit better then after a couple of years on it, never felt anxious at all.. stupidly because i felt so much better i stopped taking them, i had a baby then lost my poorly father all within 6 weeks of each other and all those feelings started coming back until one night i had a huge panic attack and felt like i'd lost complete control! I went to the doctors who put me on mitezpine (excuse the spelling) but they made me feel sleepy ALL the time and with a 25 week old baby and two other older kids it wasn't working! I went back to the doctors and got the citalopram again! I've been on them nearly two weeks and ive had the awful side affects that comes with them plus im off my food so ive not eaten for 6 days but at least its helping with my baby bulge ;) hopefully they'll start working soon and i'll start to feel better soon again but it is frustrating while you wait, two weeks can seem like two years when its you thats going through it!!! Hope this helps you knowing your not alone and to stick with them, they do work, just take time :) x

#35 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

for me it took about 2 months to become stable, and about 1-2 years to fully work and find the right dose. a long time, but worth it.

Hi: Are you still on the Citalopram? I've been taking it for about 5 wks and am still not sure how I feel about it. Do you mind my asking what dosage you're presently taking and how long it took to get there?

#36 jamesp

jamesp

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:23 PM

Any AD is a roller coaster. The first few weeks can be rough. I'm on week 7 and do feel better than before, but it has been a roller coaster ride. Normally it takes 8 weeks to plateau, but could take longer. I recommend taking notes how you feel every day. That way you can tell if things are getting better or if you need to increase dosage or change meds. I'm on 20 mg right now, but I'm thinking of asking my doctor if I can increase it a bit. My plateau isn't the place I would like to be so an increase might be a good option for me. I do know the meds are working since I tried to come off and just ended up going back on because the way I will feeling was horrible off the meds. I'm actually in counseling to get the best overall treatment as well.
"This too shall pass." -Unknown

Want someone to chat with? Contact me @ Xeon065 on AIM.

#37 triciaann21

triciaann21

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:25 AM

Thanks.

I know excactly how you feel.... I suffered from anxiety about three years ago and the first two weeks of taking citalopram were hell, i felt vile but after the two weeks i started to feel a bit better then after a couple of years on it, never felt anxious at all.. stupidly because i felt so much better i stopped taking them, i had a baby then lost my poorly father all within 6 weeks of each other and all those feelings started coming back until one night i had a huge panic attack and felt like i'd lost complete control! I went to the doctors who put me on mitezpine (excuse the spelling) but they made me feel sleepy ALL the time and with a 25 week old baby and two other older kids it wasn't working! I went back to the doctors and got the citalopram again! I've been on them nearly two weeks and ive had the awful side affects that comes with them plus im off my food so ive not eaten for 6 days but at least its helping with my baby bulge ;) hopefully they'll start working soon and i'll start to feel better soon again but it is frustrating while you wait, two weeks can seem like two years when its you thats going through it!!! Hope this helps you knowing your not alone and to stick with them, they do work, just take time :) x

I know how you feel. I hope that you are feeling better now since it has been a few months since you've posted. I was Celexa back in 2000. It took about 4 weeks to fully kick in. I was a student so I really don't remember a lot of the side effects except feeling like I had a serious flu the first night and waking up feeling like I was on a serious drug. The doctor told me to take it during the day. I was on it for 3 years, but kept puting on weight. I think because I was really relaxed about everything. I had a lot of big changes and I just sort of got through everything. I was able to wean off it, but it took about 2 weeks. Nothing to bad just the brain zaps.

Recently (about a month ago) my boyfriend of 4 years decided to take a break and figure out if we were the right match, and my work partner put in her month notice. We share an equal workload. And on top of that my Grandmother died so that was depressing. I have tried to shake out of this but I haven't had an appetite in about 3 weeks and I have to take Klonopin to sleep. I know that is a tough drug to kick once you are used to it so I'm trying to avoid it like the plague. I took Celexa yesterday (only 5 mg) and it made me feel a little better, but definitely more anxious. I had to take Klonopin to sleep last night for sure because the Celexa gives me a weird insomnia. Like I'm dreaming but awake. I hate having to go through this..... I find myself searching the web for side effects and how Celexa effects different people. I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for having a horrible reaction to Lexapro. It is so crazy how Lexapro made me feel awful but my best friend swears by it. I will be taking 7 mg today and then 10 tomorrow to build it up. My arms feel tingly, but other than that the side effects just feel like anxiety.
:bathbubbles:

#38 romeosghost

romeosghost

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:13 AM

I have suffered from depression and anxiety in the past, but I have been fine for the last 2/3 years.
I am in my last year of University and things have not been going well, school sucks, my living situation is crap and my boyfriend lives in america ( i live in the uk) So I started having panic attacks again 2 weeks ago, and then the depression sprang from that. My doctor put me on citalopram, which I took before but not when I was this bad.
The first few days I felt great, but that might have just been as I was looking forward to feeling better and felt I was taking steps. But then after 3/4 days, my mood has really dipped badly again, the mornings are always tough, but now they are REALLY tough. and then the mood stay with me, I do tend to feel a bit better come evening. But then I am back to feeling terrible in the morning. I take the citalopram when I wake up, but I am thinking of starting to take it when I go to sleep so as maybe I will wake up feeling better.
The thing is, my boyfriend is coming over the uk in 5 weeks, and I really want to be feeling better for when he is here, I do not want him to see me like this, I know this possibly fuels my anxiety, but I cant help it.
I just want to feel better and I am worried now that the citalopram is not going to help

#39 zugora

zugora

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

Hello - I'm new here and I have also just starting taking 10 mg Celexa (on Day 9). Just looking for encouragement, I guess, because I want to continue with the medication, but the side effects have been awful. Anxiety and depression much worse. Heart is racing, especially when I wake up in the morning. I'm taking .5 mg of Ativan to help with the anxiety, but then I'm a complete zombie. Did anyone notice the heart-racing stuff disappear after a while? I"m trying to stick through the first rough weeks, but it is has been so awful. I think I won't take the 20 mg until the side effects of 10mg are more manageable. Thanks to all, and I'm so glad there is a forum like this. Hugs!

#40 Zolushka

Zolushka

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:42 AM

Hi zugora! I hope I can give you a bit of encouragement. I've just begun my 7th week of citalopram, and I can tell you that the unpleasant side effects have gone. (I didn't get a racing heart feeling - mostly just sweating, tiredness, and some initial nausea and loss of appetite.) Actually, the side effects for me were never major, and they were pretty much gone by week 3 or so. By week 4 I felt like the citalopram was actually beginning to help... and now, after 6 full weeks, I'm really glad I tried this. Everyone's experience is different though, so let your doctor know if any of the side effects seem a bit much. I hope things work out for you, no matter what :^)

Edit: I still don't feel 100%, but hey. Things have improved drastically.

Edited by Zolushka, 18 June 2010 - 06:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users