• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
starr

Prozac Maximum Dosage

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I am on 80mg a day of prozac which seems to work well for my

depression but leaves me feeling very lethargic in the afternoons.

I feel like I am the only person out there on such a high dosage.

If there is anyone else I would love to hear your experiences.

Unfortunately, so far every ad I have taken took the highest dosage

to work for me. My doctor says I have a high metabolism.

Best wishes,

starr

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I was on 80mg as well about three years ago along with some crazy amount of Buspar. I became a walking, talking crazy person. I was constantly wired and just too danged happy. I could have been punched in the gut or spit on and I would have smiled and thanked them. I guess what I'm saying is it made me NOT feel... ANYTHING. I quit on my own and only go to my family doctor (whom prescribed it) for sickness (colds, flu, etc). If it works for you -- great! Everyone is different. What works for one may not work for the next 10 behind you.

Good luck!!!

Lost in the Past

Posted

I have been using it with 80mg for 2 days. Before, it was 40mg. I am not good not bad now. Hope better at next days. I also take 3 drops with Rivotril at sometimes. For lethargy, i take Arcalion drug which is nootropic agent.

Posted

I too am on 80mg daily and have even at times considered asking about going up to 100. I'm now probably going to ask about something to take in combination with Prozac instead of a higher dose but just wondered if 80mg really is the maximum dosage. Has anyone here ever tried taking over 80?

Posted

Hi,

I just thought I would mention that I am also on 100 of wellbutrin along with

my 80 of prozac and it seems to be working really well.

best wishes,

starr

Posted (edited)

Has anyone here ever tried taking over 80?

Hi fook and :hearts: to DF!

Try and google the name Ivan Goldberg. He is a New York psychiatrist who has a special interest in treatment-resistant depressions and he is clued-up enough to take doses beyond the recommended, sometimes scarily far. He writes a lot of FAQs for drugs and has his own website. He might say how high he has taken it, if you dig around a bit.

He used to belong to a depression mailing list that I was on, a while back and he'd answer our questions and was soooo approachable. I expect he's way too busy these days, but he has posted a wealth of his knowledge on the Web.

When you get to high doses, you need to be with a psychiatrist who has experience with it and who can keep an eye on you (ie, not be booked up 6 weeks in advance and really hard to get an appointment with). It takes courage and most docs won't risk it, fearing the possible fall-out. It's wonderful when you find a doc who will go the distance with you, be available if something bad crops up, be pro-active about it and not give up. Good luck!

Edited by moonlightress

Posted

just recently was uped to 80mg a day. i take 40mg at 8 am and 40mg at 2pm. i found it gets rid of the afternoon drag and allows me to fall asleep at nite. although this dosent happen till 12am but its better than not sleeping at all. hopefully this will help keep my manic eppisodes under control

Posted

Hi all,

I am on 80mg a day of prozac which seems to work well for my
depression but leaves me feeling very lethargic in the afternoons.
I feel like I am the only person out there on such a high dosage.
If there is anyone else I would love to hear your experiences.
Unfortunately, so far every ad I have taken took the highest dosage
to work for me. My doctor says I have a high metabolism.

Best wishes,
starr

starr, i've been on Prozac 10yrs i had panic attacks,ocd,and depression.all i can say is thank God for prozac. Panic
attacks stopped 4weeks after starting Prozac,the ocd is under controll with Threapy.The depression is tougher,it never
really leaves.It's not major but it is a problem.Im on 60mil prozac and im thinking of asking my Dr. to boost me to
80. Over he years i've tried to come off of Prozac but symtoms always returned. I don't think your strange. Feel Good.

Posted

Highest i've been is 60mg, had no bother what so ever coming off when I was ready. Had a good few years symptom free before I needed a top up.

Posted

I am on 7 Prozac a day .. so im on 140mg a day and im 16 years old.

Seems to be working ok i guess...

Best wishes :)

Jess

xx

Posted

Hi Jess,

I have never heard of anyone on such a high dose. I hope

you are seeing a psychiatrist since they specialize in these

meds. If not, I would definitely check with one or at least

your pharmacist. Not to scare you, I just never heard of

that high a dose before.

best wishes,

starr

Posted

I have been on 80mg/day since around February of this year. I felt that it helped substantially as compared to the 60mg/day that I was on beforehand. However, in the last few weeks, I am really starting to feel a major drop in my mood, and experiencing a lot of suicidal ideation. I actually just saw my therapist on Monday, and arranged an "emergency" meeting with her today. I see her again Monday, and see my Psychiatrist on Wednesday of next week. I don't believe that the ideation is related to the Prozac itself in any way... I'm actually thinking I'm going to need a higher dose. =\

Posted

I'm also on 80mg of prozac..