Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta Vs Lexapro

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 scottybear

scottybear

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

Currently I am on Cymbalta, and it is helping with anxiety and depression, although I don't like the side effects (tired at night, low libido, constipation, nausea, bloating, some weight gain). I was wondering if anyone else had this experience and preferred Lexapro over it? I saw a study on medline that Lexapro, over time, beat (and was better tolerated) than both Cymbalta and Effexor XR.

If you are interested in reading the article, pm me and I'll send you the link.

Thanks for any help

Edited by Jkm, 22 January 2008 - 09:31 PM.

#2 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

Currently I am on Cymbalta, and it is helping with anxiety and depression, although I don't like the side effects (tired at night, low libido, constipation, nausea, bloating, some weight gain). I was wondering if anyone else had this experience and preferred Lexapro over it? I saw a study on medline that Lexapro, over time, beat (and was better tolerated) than both Cymbalta and Effexor XR.

Thanks for any help

I tried Lexapro and it increased my anxiety to the point where I quit taking it, but honestly I didn't give it the fair shake I gave Cymbalta. I stuck Cymbalta out until most of the side effects went away, but they weren't as bad as the Lexapro, so that was partly the reason. I really like how Cymbalta has helped control my anxiety. I do suffer from a few of the side effects you mention, but I don't think I'd tolerate nausea or the fatigue, which I don't suffer from.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 jaybird

jaybird

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

I was on Lexapro for about a year, and I thought it was working great. I had more energy and was generally happier. The thing was, I started it just as I left for college and I guess I kind of went a little crazy. Lexapro was great for making me feel better, but at the same time, it kind of had me in "manic" mode. I didn't care about anything. My alcohol tolerance was REALLY low so I would get drunk a lot, since it was cheap.

My doc took me off the Lexapro and now I'm on Cymbalta. I've only been on it for a few days so we'll see how it goes...but already I have more energy and less of an appetite. I don't know, but I feel like this might be a good fit for me. We'll see how the side effects go.

#4 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

I was on Lexapro for about a year, and I thought it was working great. I had more energy and was generally happier. The thing was, I started it just as I left for college and I guess I kind of went a little crazy. Lexapro was great for making me feel better, but at the same time, it kind of had me in "manic" mode. I didn't care about anything. My alcohol tolerance was REALLY low so I would get drunk a lot, since it was cheap.

My doc took me off the Lexapro and now I'm on Cymbalta. I've only been on it for a few days so we'll see how it goes...but already I have more energy and less of an appetite. I don't know, but I feel like this might be a good fit for me. We'll see how the side effects go.

I too had a decreased appetite, but I did get it back and gained a little more after that. Hopefully, you won't have too many side effects. Good luck!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

jaybird,

Glad to meet you and hope you get along with the Cymbalta. I also went on it after titrating off Lexparo and did this in one week. As for drinking, I found that I couldn't handle alcohol and quit drinking. It makes my stomach hurt and it's worth it. It's not a good idea to drink on meds, as I'm sure everyone it going to shout about, but people do. Just be careful as we want you around and not having your meds messed up due to drinking.

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#6 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

Hey all,

Well i take both Cymbalta and Lexapro together, lol. I tried switching to Cymbalta alone and going off Lexapro which I been on for 4 years. It helped with my Libido and gave me some more energy, although it didn't really help much with both the anxiety and depression and I missed some of the effects Lexpro gave me and didn't realize it until after I stopped it completely.

So at first my doctor suggested that I don't have to go off the Lexapro if I didn't want to and I thought that was kinda crazy, but i'm glad I went back on it and currently taking 5mg of Lex and 60 mg Cymbalta and the combination works great. Not sure if this thread helps anyone but the mix works well for me cause I think Cymbalta has more of the norephen. effect than the serotonon effect and for me.... a lack of serotonon causes major depression and anxiety.
Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#7 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:40 AM

That's interesting, Ronnie. How long have you been on both. What would you say is the best advantage of taking a small dose of Lex with your Cymbalta?

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#8 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

Hi Jackie,

I like the combination but thinking of upping my dose of Lexapro back up to 10mg with the 60mg of Cymbalta. This combination is similar to the Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo but I feel less side effects with the Cymbalta and still trying to find a medication or combination that will help with my IBS. The depression is mostly lifted and the Anxiety comes and goes but seems better to manage.

My doc tells me that Cymbalta is suppose to help with the physical symptoms of Anxiety which I think my IBS is a part of. The jury is still out on how well it is helping, the first month or so seemed ok, but now my irritable bowel symptoms are back and I still take a small dose of Klonopin at night to help relax/sleep. It's a constant battle.
Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#9 terrifictuesdays47

terrifictuesdays47

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

Did it help your IBS (the Cymbalta). It did squat for me physically and only so-so mentally. The same with Lexapro. Combos get me confused, not knowing which does what. I wonder why docs choose that though and how they are supposed to work together.

#10 leer3000

leer3000

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

:hearts: Hi I am new to the forum. I have been on lexapro for over 5 years and the doctor just now switched me over to Cymbalta. I just took my second 30mg pill. supposed to take this for 1 week and then go to the 60mg pill. Has anyone had any experience with this? Will this be a good thing for me. The Lexapro worked very well for my anxiety. I took it everynight bfeore bed. Trying to take the Cymbalta at the same time. The main reason for the switch was that my wife said I was emotionless on Lexapro. I hope that Cymbalta will be better. I also had trouble focusing with Lexapro and seemed to be in a daze most of the time.

#11 nicko953

nicko953

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for any help

I was on Celexa (lexopro's predecessor) for a month prior to being on Cymbalta. I have GAD, but I really wasn't very depressed. It worked ok at first, but then I suffered from a paradoxical effect which put me on a downward spiral into a majorly dark depression, a place that I've never been before. Cymbalta is taking care of my anxiety and the depression hasn't come back (thank God). Side effects are tolerable for me. Mostly constipation and sweating with some other weird stuff that I would get on any AD. I'm dealing with the constipation using prune juice - YUMMY! (Not). Mostly they are an annoyance. The reason there are so many AD's on the market is that they effect everyone differently. (You probably already know this). One study will be completely different from the next purely based on the people selected for it. They could do a study next week and find that Cymbalta is more tolerable than Lexapro. All of the AD's have side effects and they need to list all of them, even if its 1%.

#12 leer3000

leer3000

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for any help

I was on Celexa (lexopro's predecessor) for a month prior to being on Cymbalta. I have GAD, but I really wasn't very depressed. It worked ok at first, but then I suffered from a paradoxical effect which put me on a downward spiral into a majorly dark depression, a place that I've never been before. Cymbalta is taking care of my anxiety and the depression hasn't come back (thank God). Side effects are tolerable for me. Mostly constipation and sweating with some other weird stuff that I would get on any AD. I'm dealing with the constipation using prune juice - YUMMY! (Not). Mostly they are an annoyance. The reason there are so many AD's on the market is that they effect everyone differently. (You probably already know this). One study will be completely different from the next purely based on the people selected for it. They could do a study next week and find that Cymbalta is more tolerable than Lexapro. All of the AD's have side effects and they need to list all of them, even if its 1%.

I agree with you. I have tried to get off of AD several times, but ultimately end up back on them. I have a combination of depression and anxiety. so far Cymbalta is working. I will keep you posted on my progress. It helps to talk about it and share with people that understand. Thank you.

#13 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

Good Posts... I suffer with the same side effects and efficacy. Right now, I found a combination of the two are working. I'm continuing on a low dose of Lexapro (5mg) while on 90mg of Cymbalta. Constipation is a bugger and I found a good fiber supplement called Konysl. It's a little expensive but works well. Also sometimes use Metamucil generic to save money.
Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#14 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

Hi Jackie,

My doc tells me that Cymbalta is suppose to help with the physical symptoms of Anxiety which I think my IBS is a part of. The jury is still out on how well it is helping, the first month or so seemed ok, but now my irritable bowel symptoms are back and I still take a small dose of Klonopin at night to help relax/sleep. It's a constant battle.

I found Zoloft helped me a great deal with IBS.
We are all failures -- at least, all the best of us are. -- Sir James M. Barrie

#15 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

Well.... i'm back to a full dosage of Lexapro 10mg AND Cymbalta 60mg together. I have some slight mania, just hyper now and then especially at work, but the relief from the Depression and Anxiety seem to outway the side effects for now.

Sometimes I feel the combination is a little much, but I am back to the gym exercising and take some Klonopin and/or Trazadone to sleep at night. Everytime I try to decrease one or switch.... the depression comes back or side effects.
Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#16 Foxmulder

Foxmulder

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Hi! I have been on 60mg--90mg of Cymbalta for over three years. It immediately helped with my depression and anxiety (Starting at 30mg and working my way up to 90mg then back down to 60mg a year ago when depression was gone.) The main side effects I have suffered from are sweating and sleeping problems. I am constantly tired and can sleep for HOURS if able. Lately the excessive sleeping has been getting worse (14-18 hrs) and now my doctor has me gradually weaning off of Cymbalta... Down to 30mg over a week, then switching to Lexapro after another week on 30mg Cymbalta. Has anyone else had similar problems on Cymblata and done this switch? I would love some feedback... Thanks!

#17 Zaba

Zaba

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

Hey there,
I've been on Wellbutrin 300mg XL and Lexapro 2.5 mg for a couple years now. It seems that I'm very sensitive to the SSRIs, I took 5 mg of Lexapro in the past and it made me have nightmares. 2.5 mg seems to be doing the trick (no depression and no nightmares) but I have no sex drive!! My doctor has me on Wellbutrin to help with it but it doesn't seem like it's helping... I tried to go off Lexapro all together but it seems like my brain cannot handle the extra 'oomph' of serotonin.. I've also tried Zoloft in the past and had the same problem.
anyway, my doctor is recommending switching from Lexapro to Cymbalta or Effexor to get rid of the sexual side effects. Can anyone recommend one over another? Thanks! :hearts:

#18 data

data

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

Lexapro 10 mg was ineffective for me and caused a variety of side effects. The worst side effects were crippling fatigue and sleepiness which ultimately forced me to stop taking it.

Cymbalta 60 mg was effective for me. The only major, long-lasting side effect was fatigue and sleepiness, though it wasn't as bad as on Lexapro.

For me, Cymbalta>Lexapro.

#19 Used2bCool

Used2bCool

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:13 AM

I tried Lexapro for a couple of months and had 0 sex drive. Not sure what good it was doing. I am off it and concidering Cymbalta.... I am new to forums and looking for answers. I have ran from my symptoms all my life and looking for aswers to fast I know, but how my brain has to do it. I have not been to a Physc. Could some of you experenced people tell me in general what it sounds like when you cant sit and commit to anything. Playing poker, working on a website, ANYTHING. It is litteraly like I feel pain inside me and I have to get up and walk around. My thoughts race out of control and one idea turns into 100 instantly. The closest way I can come to explaining it is like growing pains, if you ever had them. It is like you want to stretch and stretch. I also compare this to withdrawells from quitting painkiller addiction. Like you want to stretch and stretch. It feels horrible to detox, and my entire like that is a similar feeling I get when I have to apply myself. Listen to someone speak, almost anything that takes me focusing. It really sucks. I have more symptoms but that is the one that is so dominant. Can I get some feed back from others that feel like that at all. Also, I do not think I suffer from panic attacks at all. It is more of a constant burn inside when i sit still. Yuck.....

#20 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:07 AM

I tried Lexapro for a couple of months and had 0 sex drive. Not sure what good it was doing. I am off it and concidering Cymbalta.... I am new to forums and looking for answers. I have ran from my symptoms all my life and looking for aswers to fast I know, but how my brain has to do it. I have not been to a Physc. Could some of you experenced people tell me in general what it sounds like when you cant sit and commit to anything. Playing poker, working on a website, ANYTHING. It is litteraly like I feel pain inside me and I have to get up and walk around. My thoughts race out of control and one idea turns into 100 instantly. The closest way I can come to explaining it is like growing pains, if you ever had them. It is like you want to stretch and stretch. I also compare this to withdrawells from quitting painkiller addiction. Like you want to stretch and stretch. It feels horrible to detox, and my entire like that is a similar feeling I get when I have to apply myself. Listen to someone speak, almost anything that takes me focusing. It really sucks. I have more symptoms but that is the one that is so dominant. Can I get some feed back from others that feel like that at all. Also, I do not think I suffer from panic attacks at all. It is more of a constant burn inside when i sit still. Yuck.....

I'm not a professional but it sounds to me like anxiety. The need to move but maybe unfocused for what. The racing thoughts are also a sign of anxiety. Scattered thoughts, needing to move, needing to really focus to hear, read, etc. area all signs of anxiety. Panic attacks are an extreme form. I get anxiety attacks sometimes that are a bit milder than panic attacks and anxiety attacks are always (in my understanding) caused by an environmental trigger whereas panic attacks aren't.
iowa

#21 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:16 AM

Psychiatrists are best for prescribing meds because they have more training, education and experinece in that are than general practioners. The prescribe cocktails or multiple meds to give you the best help possible. Sometimes that means cancelling out side effects and sometimes it means boosting performance or adding another potential for helping.
I've gained little weight on Cymbalta but noticed early on that it increases my appetite and I need to watch my portions. I've been on AD that caused weight gain and this is not one for me. Also, I personally, find that my libido is improved considerably over paxil. I have chrone's disease and Cymbalta has that under better control. Not perfect but much better! I haven't felt a much benefit for anxiety although I used to have a benzo to take that I no longer take. All and all, I'd say that Cymbalta is doing a good job with depression, has no side effects that a post menupausal woman hasn't had before, and is good for my Crohn's disease.
iowa

#22 jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

Lexapro was the first anti-depressant that my psychiatrist prescribed (I had tried citalopram and wellbutrin before, but they were prescribed through my general physician). Lexapro caused lots of side-effects and very "manic" episodes, most notably I found it very difficult to drive within the speed limit, i was always wanting to drive faster and faster. Lexapro completely removed any anxiety I felt, but this also had me obsessing about suicide. I had no fear of it so I could not stop thinking about different ways to **** myself. Obviously, my psychiatrist and I agreed it was not working for me and so then I tried Cymbalta. Cymbalta seemed to have most of the same side effects, but not as severe. My anxiety returned, but I was ok with that since at least it made me fear dying again. However, then the mood swings started, I would feel good for a couple of hours and then I would get very, very depressed for the rest of the day. This did not work for me either. I just recently switched off of Cymbalta and am now trying Pristiq. While I think there were a few good things about Lexapro and Cymbalta, they both had too much bad parts for me to stick with either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users