Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Mirtazapine And Alchohol?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 doompixie

doompixie

ID: 21745

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

Has anyone tried drinking whilst on this? I know the leaflet says to avoid it as it may cause drowsiness. Drowsiness I can handle, but a friend suggested that drinking with this drug could make me very ill. Is this true?
I'm not much of a drinker, I only ask as it's my birthday in a few days.

#2 coco36

coco36

ID: 13891

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

Has anyone tried drinking whilst on this? I know the leaflet says to avoid it as it may cause drowsiness. Drowsiness I can handle, but a friend suggested that drinking with this drug could make me very ill. Is this true?

i had four beers on saturday and found that it just made me a bit more sleepy .... nothing else at all ... although i did find my anxiety was a little bit worse the next morning ... but then alcohol always causes anxiety for me the next day so dont spose its much different really. i dont think the occasional drink will do much harm ... but then im not qualified and only going on my own experience. It certainly didnt make me ill and the effect of the alcohol was same as without the drug ... just fell asleep earlier LOL xx good luck
if looking back hurts you, and looking forward scares you, .. stop, .. look beside you, ... and know i will always be by your side

#3 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

ID: 16232

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:14 PM

Hi DoomPixie,

There are chemical reasons why it is not wise to drink on any AD, mirtazapine included. Mirtazapine is designed to make more serotonin available at the neurotransmitter level in the brain, alcohol causes depletion of serotonin from the brain. If the medical profession advises against using alcohol while you are taking mirtazapine, what is so hard to understand. If something goes wrong with your treatment, will you cop to the fact that you have been drinking and possibly been adversely effecting your medications? Why experiment? Your MH issues are too important to fool around with their outcome.

Peace and Love.... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#4 X-ray

X-ray

ID: 11794

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hello doompixie,

I asked my doc about Remeron and alcohol when he prescribed this medicine for me.
- Social drinking on a moderate level is no problem, the man said.

But he strongly advised against hard drinking.

Keep smiling,
X-ray

#5 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

ID: 16232

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:33 PM

Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of mirtazapine.

This excerpt is from a PDA program that most doctors use when they look up drugs, it is kind of a portable PDR. Please notice that it does not quantify what amount might be safe or not. Ethanol is also listed in the portion of this program that describe a negative interaction with mirtazapine.

Peace and Love.... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#6 chupacabra

chupacabra

ID: 40272

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

I've found that even a couple of beers the previous evening can make me feel down and/or anxious the next day.

In my opinion, alcohol should be avoided altogether.
My religion? Donuts.

#7 WantToHeal

WantToHeal

ID: 41037

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

I can tell you that drinking, for me, ruined what was otherwise a good experience on Cymbalta. Two weeks ago, I was back to square one. If the med is working for you, please be smart and work with it.

Happy birthday, by the way!

#8 ChrystalR

ChrystalR

Platinum Member

ID: 25013

• Platinum Member
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:20 AM