Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

The Wellbutrin Honeymoon

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 historyteach

historyteach

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

I am on 100 mg of Wellbutrin twice a day.
I am forgetful. And I am feeling anxious. I was anxious before, too, and began taking Topamax for it. It was helping. Then, my depression lifted its ugly head. So, I went for an antidepressant. After much discussion, the pdoc gave me the 200 mg of Wellbutrin -- in its generic form.

I used to be on 300 mg. That was years ago. It helped me quit smoking. But, it gave me panic attacks. I had xanax, 1/4 mg as needed, to help me with that, so, I tolerated it. But, it made me forgetful then too.

I'm not sure if I want to stay on it anymore. I've been on it for a bit over a month. My pdoc wanted to up the dose to the 300 again. I told her it gave me panic attacks before at that dose, so, she didn't. We agreed to discuss options when I see her in another month.

I don't do well on SSRIs, so, I just don't know what to do.

BTW, does anyone know if the generic can cause different effects than the name brand of Wellbutrin?

Peace

#42 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

Hi historyteach,

Instead of choosing either WB or an SSRI, why not combine them? That's what I do, and they balance each other out and tone down each other's side effects. I agree with you, that WB alone can cause anxiety. I tried an SSRI alone, and I became too lethargic and numb. But with the 2 together, I get the brightening effects of WB, and the calming effects of the SSRI, without the anxiety or lethargy. Talk to your doctor about it.

BTW, does anyone know if the generic can cause different effects than the name brand of Wellbutrin?

Yes, they can, and there are a lot of posts about that in this forum. The active ingredient is the same in all formulas: bupropion hydrochloride. But there are different inactive ingredients that some may be sensitive to, and different rates of dissolution that may affect people differently. I do just fine on generic bupropion, but some react badly and have to switch back to name brand. Basically, you won't know until you try, how the different formulas will affect you.

Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#43 historyteach

historyteach

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

Thanks, subburatory,
I've had SSRI's before, and they make me terribly anxious too! That's when the old pdoc's began pumping me full of drugs and making me into a zombie! And I'll never let that happen again! I'm very nervous about even getting started on this stuff again, and this pdoc knows it and knows why. It was a horrible experience. They told me I was "permanently disabled" and to go on disability! Needless to say, I didn't take their advice. I did thow out their meds, though, and got back on with my life. That was many years ago.

My pdoc seems to be listening to my concerns, though. I've only seen her twice. And we decided to see how I'm doing when I see her next month. Then, we will determine if we need to adjust the meds.

I'm on the generic wellbutrin this time. I'm still anxious, but, it doesn't seem quite as bad. However, I'm only on 200 mg, as opposed to the 300 I was on before. So, I'm not getting the panic attacks. (Thank goodness!) I just wanted to know if I should be on the look out, but, there doesn't seem to be causing anything as of yet, anyway.

Thanks for your response!

Peace

#44 scampe

scampe

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

I am into just over two weeks on WB XL 300 mg.

Before WB I was on zoloft and was lethargic, binge eating every day, gained a bunch of weight, was really depressed in a bad bad way and decided to finally seek help.

Once on WB, the first day I was talking a mile a minute and the boyfriend smiled and said "good drugs?" I said YUP!! Lol. I was not so much jittery as I was super energized. That's the best way I can describe my first week and a half or so. I also found that I didn't have the binge eating desires that I had before WB.

The past few days, I have been on a bit of a low. It's been odd really, I will be really low and sad one moment, then completely forget about what it was that made me feel that way, and become suddenly super energized and focus my attention elsewhere.

The last few days have definitely been lower but can't wait for it to level out. If it is anywhere NEAR what I felt in the first week and a half, even just half the energy and positive thoughts that I had, I will TAKE IT!!

I am a person who really despises taking any medications, but I am loving my WB :hearts: I truly can't wait to see what the benefits will be when it is fully kicked in.

#45 EndTheStigma

EndTheStigma

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:31 AM

So I started taking 150mg (up to 300mg after 3 days) a week and half ago.

I experencied the honeymoon effect. For the first few days, I felt normal for the first time in 15 years. Unfortunately, the anxiety and depression has been worse than ever since those first few days. I am having trouble concentrating, I am unmotivated, my sleeping is disturbed and I feel strange. So frustrated about this.

The good news is my energy level is up.

Really thinking I should stop taking it. The side effects are pretty bad.

Will things really get better in the coming weeks? Maybe waiting it out would be worth it. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist in four days.

#46 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

Yes, things will get much better, so please try to be patient. All you're feeling right now are side effects. Even the honeymoon high is a side effect. You won't feel the true antidepressant effects for a few weeks. Generally, it takes 6-8 weeks to adjust to an AD and feel the full and consistent effects. The first 2 weeks are usually the hardest, but after that, the side effects will begin to fade as the antidepressant effects begin to build. I strongly suggest giving your medication a full 8 weeks. By then, you'll be over most or all of the side effects, and you'll really feel what Wellbutrin can do for you. So many people bail out during the adjustment phase, before getting to the good stuff. It's really a shame. Wellbutrin is a wonderful AD in my opinion, but it can give a very rocky startup. The honeymoon high can be especially confusing and disappointing when it ends. After 2 months, you'll feel brighter, more motivated, and more focused. One of the best things you can do is stay extra hydrated for a few weeks. Wellbutrin can be dehydrating, especially during startup, and that can cause all kinds of symptoms like headaches, body aches, dry mouth, dry skin, and constipation. Extra water will help a lot.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#47 kgill78

kgill78

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:10 AM

I started wellbutrin sr (150mg) about a week or so ago and felt what many of you are referring to as the initial 'happy high'. I did crash a little bit a few days after, but even after the crash I still feel better than I did before I started taking it. I am going to try to up to 300 mg and see how that goes. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow and that's what he will probably have me do anyway. Wish me luck!

#48 RedneckCowboy

RedneckCowboy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

Day Four...

Right on the nose, the 'Honeymoon' is over, but apparently that means I may be a good candidate for WB XL on moderate-length use basis. At any rate, I hope so and I appreciate the heads-up this Forum gave me regarding the 'WB Honeymoon'! I do think that the insomnia I'm experiencing may be a big part of the 'Honeymoon' syndrome for me.

The night after my first dose of WB my sleep changed to a sort of constant 'hypnagogic-type' experience. This continued the night after my second dose of WB, but there were more periods of wakefullness. Night 3 I was awake most of the night and the 'hypnagogic-type' experience faded. Night 4 I was awake all night...wide awake...alert...just like I'd just awakened naturally from a good nights sleep. I did not experience negative ruminations or anything of that sort. However...

This morning I am energetic, but I do feel more depressed...and...

I'm not sure what the other feelings are! It does remind me of what some of us Ol' Soldiers call 'battle fatigue'... There is just this intense feeling that you will be awake and terrorized forever if you don't shoot somebody!

Anyway, Y'All...

I'm stickin' with the WB and I may try an OTC sleep aid tonight!

RN CB

#49 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

Hey RC,

As I responded to your other post, I think you're right on schedule! Crashing after that honeymoon can be worrisome, but think of those first few days as a preview of what's to come in a few weeks. During this downtime, you may feel depressed again and also have some odd, racy feelings like you mentioned, but they do pass. After about 4 weeks on WB I started to feel better, and at 8 weeks I was fully smoothed out and free of major depression. WB is a wonderful AD in my opinion, but it can be "Hellbutrin" at first, which unfortunately causes a lot of people to give up on it. Hang tough and keep posting!

#50 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:55 AM

Hey RC,

As I responded to your other post, I think you're right on schedule! Crashing after that honeymoon can be worrisome, but think of those first few days as a preview of what's to come in a few weeks. During this downtime, you may feel depressed again and also have some odd, racy feelings like you mentioned, but they do pass. After about 4 weeks on WB I started to feel better, and at 8 weeks I was fully smoothed out and free of major depression. WB is a wonderful AD in my opinion, but it can be "Hellbutrin" at first, which unfortunately causes a lot of people to give up on it. Hang tough and keep posting!

Do you think its the same whether its SR or XL Wellbutrin?

Karen

#51 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

Do you think its the same whether its SR or XL Wellbutrin?

I've never tried the SR version, but based on feedback, most people find the XL version a bit smoother.

#52 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:56 AM

I've never tried the SR version, but based on feedback, most people find the XL version a bit smoother.

... which makes me wonder - has anyone had "wobbles" in how they feel if they switch from one version to the other? How has that transition been?

#53 daughty

daughty

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

Hi, I am now to these forums; I discovered them when doing a search on Wellbutrin.

After being without any antidepressant for four months (I had tried Prozax, Lexapro and Effexor before but they did not help much) I have started on Elontril (the German name of Wellbutrin 150 XL) three days ago. So far I have experienced nothing but unpleasant side effects - headaches, high blood pressure (normally I have really low blood pressure), insomia and itching. I was hoping to feel more focused and with more drive - I am not only suffering from depression but also from ADD (inattentive type).

Have any of the "Honeymooners" have experienced these unpleasant side effects, too?

#54 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:19 AM

:hearts: to DF, (((((daughty)))))

I got everything except for the itching, and it all faded away by 8 weeks. A friend of mine got the itching and it kept getting worse, so he had to stop taking Wellburtin. Hopefully it will fade away for you but if it doesn't, be sure to let a doctor know, because it could be an indication of an allergic reaction.

#55 daughty

daughty

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:44 AM

Hi Burgy, thanks for the warm welcome and for your answer.

I called my shrink yesterday and she said that the itching might stop, but that I have to quit immediately if I get a rash. Oh well. Is one pimple a "rash"? Difficult...

Anyway, I'll see how it goes and keep you posted ;)

Edited by daughty, 15 July 2008 - 03:44 AM.

#56 aries woman

aries woman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:09 AM

Oh I'm so glad the internet exists. :flowers: I'm so glad that others feel weirdly better in some ways right away too, because if I told my dr. she wouldn't believe me. But there's not a placebo effect powerful enough to do this. I JUST started today. I was having a godawful morning with all attendant suicidal thoughts etc. I had to bike to the pharmacy which normally wouldn't be a big deal but today it was just an excruciating project. I got home and took one and watched a movie. Normally, when feeling this bad I would just feel too on edge to do anything but cry and listen to music. But I worked on some stuff and I realized that I'd concentrated for more than hour which doesn't happen when I feel this way. :hearts: And I even did dishes. It wasn't as good to qualify as a high or anything, and certainly didn't take away all my symptoms, but it did do something. Thank God .I'd really needed it. So good to know a little bit more what to expect, thanks again!
You do not credit me with your discretion
-Sylvia Plath.

#57 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:01 AM

:hearts:

I've heard from a few people recently who are going through this. Hang in there!

#58 Chenderson

Chenderson

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

My honeymoon was great! It was like I took an xr adderall. A this week it slowly wore off and I wanted to die. I am back to no energy, boring, helpless self.
I don't care to much for reality, but it's the only place to get a decent steak.

#59 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

Hang in there, (((((Chenderson)))))!! I know it sucks, but you'll make it through. :boxing:

#60 Lindsom

Lindsom

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

My honeymoon was great! It was like I took an xr adderall. A this week it slowly wore off and I wanted to die. I am back to no energy, boring, helpless self.

I understand what you're going through. I have had more energy, but horrible headaches every night, really bad insomnia, mood swings etc... I think it will get better though, I feel better today anyways, lol :)

#61 Chenderson

Chenderson

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hang in there, (((((Chenderson)))))!! I know it sucks, but you'll make it through. :boxing:

THis is off subject, but have you got hallucinations from it?
I don't care to much for reality, but it's the only place to get a decent steak.

#62 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:41 PM

I got some auditory hallucinations, pretty minor and temporary, when I first started Wellbutrin, and also when I increased from 150mg to 300mg. Lying in bed at night, I would hear sparse music, like a couple of notes on a piano here and there, and a few times I heard what sounded like whispering or distant conversation, about random things. I think I heard my name spoken once, and a couple of times, I heard someone enter the room and walk over to the side of the bed, which was pretty unnerving! But I knew these were possible startup side effects, so I didn't freak out. It was kind of fascinating, in a strange way.

I've never gotten visual hallucinations from Wellbutrin, although it does seem to strengthen my ability to visualize (in my mind's eye).

#63 Chenderson

Chenderson

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

I got some auditory hallucinations, pretty minor and temporary, when I first started Wellbutrin, and also when I increased from 150mg to 300mg. Lying in bed at night, I would hear sparse music, like a couple of notes on a piano here and there, and a few times I heard what sounded like whispering or distant conversation, about random things. I think I heard my name spoken once, and a couple of times, I heard someone enter the room and walk over to the side of the bed, which was pretty unnerving! But I knew these were possible startup side effects, so I didn't freak out. It was kind of fascinating, in a strange way.

I've never gotten visual hallucinations from Wellbutrin, although it does seem to strengthen my ability to visualize (in my mind's eye).

I've gotten a few auditory hallucinations too. I've heard my guitar falling down and whispering voices. Sometimes I see things move that are standing still. Like a tree looks like it is alive, people in pictures are moving, a rock looks like its growing. It's interesting, but freaky at the same time. My doctor didn't tell me about the side effects, the whole honeymoon thing. That would've been nice, but what does she know she's only a doctor. ha

Thx

#64 debiski

debiski

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

I am on day three of Wellbutrin at 100mg. I have felt nothing. I suffer from bipolar disorder (staying mostly on the depressive side) and anxiety, but my pdoc prescribed the Wellbutrin for my Seasonal Affective Disorder. I didn't expect to feel anything this soon but after reading about the Honeymoon phase, I'm concerned that because it has had no effect on me that it never will.

I've been on every anti-depressant known to man over the years and only got help from Prozac. Unfortuntately it ran its course and pooped out on me eventually. I've actually tried Wellbutrin once before with no help, but my pdoc says that because I suffer from SAD that I need to take it NOW as opposed to in the summer time like I did last time. I find it hard to believe, but I'm at the point where I'll try anything to feel better.

As long as I don't have any adverse side effects, I will stick it out with the WB for a few months and hope for the best.

#65 Angeldoggies

Angeldoggies

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

You all cannot imagine how much your posts mean to me-you all are doing a great service. I started my Wellbutrin a little over 2 weeks ago. The first week I took 150 every other day because I could not tolerate feeling so wired I could come out of my skin. Even stopped it after the initial jolt of energy but then two days later as the effects had mostly subsided, I had the best day I have ever had, even on all the SSRIs I have tried. So I did the every other day and then worked up to 150 for a week and then have had the 300 for a week. I felt fantastic initially but then started dropping. Haven't slept well so I thought that was part of it. Then felt some depression and the first negative feelings I have had since being on it. I was at the point of thinking of quitting but reading here has me convinced that this is worth trying. I have been so much more productive and involved in life, even when I am feeling down.

#66 jr ranger

jr ranger

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:34 PM

hey there. thanks so much for starting this thread. i had a 6-week honeymoon -- . the honeymoon ended two weeks ago and i can't concentrate and am on the brink of tears all the time. even if the "post-honeymoon blues" don't go away while on bupropion, i consider myself lucky for having felt like what i think of as "my real self" for 6 weeks.

its good to see people are having a similar initial peak and that the trough that follows isn't permanent.

#67 givemepeace

givemepeace

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:17 AM

I think my honeymoon only lasted about a week, there are still some positive results, I feel that I'm thinking more clearly, but I also think that is what has caused me to feel down again, the memories of what caused my depression are on my mind so much more. I always knew I had not resolved my issues but the Remeron I was on kind of blunted everything. Now I know I need supportive counseling, I just hope the WB improves my outlook and energy again as it stabilizes. I think I've been on it 2 1/2 weeks now.

#68 webkangaroo

webkangaroo

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

Burgy:

I also just wanted to thank you very much for creating this thread. It’s helped me so much dealing with the initial ups & downs of WB. I was on it 7-years ago for a short period of time due to a depressing event. I resumed my life without it up until now without any problems. Then a few minor glitches brought back the depression again.

So I’ve started the Wellbutrin SR 150-mg once a day in the morning. The 2nd & 3rd days were the “honeymoon” for sure. I’ve noticed way more energy, and a better disposition. I’ve now been on it for about a week. Some of the unpleasant side affects are lack of sleep, headaches, & my mind racing with lots of thoughts.

However, the sleep problems need to mellow out for me to continue on it. I’ve already had a 48-hr day without even feeling tired. Prior to WB I had a sleep problem, but not as severe. So I guess from your helpful thread, it’s a wait & see type of thing.
Posted ImagePosted Image

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#69 givemepeace

givemepeace

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:18 AM

Yeah, the sleep deprivation is the hardest part for me too, and I don't understand why I can dose off on the couch in the afternoon but as soon as I get in bed I'm wide awake. I do like the part that I'm speaking my mind more rather than keeping things to myself and letting it fester and bother me. Maybe if I stick it out it will result in a more settled mind.

#70 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:19 AM

:hearts:

#71 Guru

Guru

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hi All,

After taking 10mg Lexapro for about 9 weeks (which kicked me out of the worst of the major depression that I was in for about one year), my pdoc added 150mg Wellbutrin SR (at my request), which I began taking about a week and one-half ago in the morning. This has been my experience so far:

Day 1 - Headache
Day 2 - Headache not as bad, and strangely calmer feeling overall
Day 3 - Headache gone. Calm feeling still evident. Suddenly at work, I realized that I was actually feeling wide awake during the early afternoon (very unusual for me). Going home that afternoon, I had this feeling that the world was looking so much better, even the scenery seemed to look better! On the drive home, I kept thinking about this strange feeling (wow, is this really the meds doing this, I hope this last forever). The brain fog was still there, but I actually thought that even this may go away.

Then I got home and took my blood pressure, and it had skyrocketed to 172/106! I knew this was a side effect of Welly, so I called my pdoc immediately. Unfortunately, he didn't get back to me that evening, and I did not take the dose the next morning. That next day, I went to the pdoc's office where they took my pressure, and then I was put on Diovan to reduce it. He also told me to continue the Welly, which I have done. However, I have not had that wonderful feeling of brightness and optimism since that third day, and for the past several days I have actually felt unwell, i.e., a bit anxious, neck tension and visual disturbances (trouble focusing mostly). However, today, which is about day 10, I feel a bit better again, although not to the extend I did on Day 3.

I feel that Welly may be the answer for me to finally kick me out of this completely, so I'm going to do my best to stick it out, side-effects and all. I just hope my blood pressure doesn't get real high again (it's still a bit high but has come down due to the Diovan) since that may be the one problem that may cause me to discontinue. Did anyone else have the blood pressure problem, and be able to effectively deal with it while staying on Welly?

Thanks.

Edited by Guru, 19 November 2008 - 02:03 PM.

#72 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:13 PM

Did anyone else have the blood pressure problem, and be able to effectively deal with it while staying on Welly?

My blood pressure shot way up for a few weeks when I first started WB, but then came back down to normal again. Maybe after a couple of months, you could talk to your doctor about trying to go without the BP medication and see if it's back to normal. Might as well be on as few medications as possible.

You seem to have experienced some of that post-honeymoon slump, but don't worry, you'll climb back out again soon. Keep us posted!

#73 Guru

Guru

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

Did anyone else have the blood pressure problem, and be able to effectively deal with it while staying on Welly?

My blood pressure shot way up for a few weeks when I first started WB, but then came back down to normal again. Maybe after a couple of months, you could talk to your doctor about trying to go without the BP medication and see if it's back to normal. Might as well be on as few medications as possible.

You seem to have experienced some of that post-honeymoon slump, but don't worry, you'll climb back out again soon. Keep us posted!

Thanks Burgy! Yes, I'm hoping to go off the BP Med ASAP, but am a bit concerned since I'm sure I will eventually have the WB dose raised with time and this may cause a further spike in BP. Keeping fingers crossed!

#74 s_frye

s_frye

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

Thanks, Burgy and everyone else for contributing to this thread. It's funny that the official documentation for the drug is so sparse and nondescript as far as side-effects go. There was no mention of the "honeymoon," which, I imagine, contributes to many people dropping the drug before it stabilizes. It seems it would be in the manufacturers' interest to document such things!

On top of that, the "don't drink with alcohol" warning is so vague that it doesn't really explain anything. In my experience, drinking alcohol while on WB, even a modest amount, brings on negative attitudes and depression in me. It didn't used to do that for certain! I had to find out the hard way, and also through searching online forums like this one. If it weren't for forums like this, I'd think I was crazier than I actually am! Thanks, everyone.

#75 NJosh

NJosh

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:41 AM

How long did it take for you guys to feel this "honey money effect"? I've been on the med for 2 days now and haven't really felt any different at all. Not even any side effects yet. I'm gona give it a little longer, about one week to be exact, and if still no "honey money" effect I will probably give up on it. Why? Read below.

I believe that if you truly do have low dopamine levels, then after taking Wellbutrin, even after a few days, if you where truly low in levels than yes, you will experience that "honey money, super happy effect". If you don't experience anything - chances are you AREN'T low in dopamine levels. Some people say "stick it out, it can take weeks for the med to take effect", but thats not true IMO. I only believe it takes weeks to work in people who are already decently balanced in their dopamine levels. So therefore since your levels are already pretty balanced overall, you don't really feel any sudden changes. That's why it takes weeks for it to work for people like that, and even when it does, it's not going to be as drastic as the people who are low on it and notice changes right away. . But for those that are truly low, once they start to take Wellbutrin and it raises their dopamine levels, since they have been low on it for a long time, then they will feel those "changes" much more and much quicker when their levels are being rasied to more normal levels.

If that didn't make any sense to you, let me explain it like this:

Person A has a dopamine level of 25

Person B Has a Dopamine level of 150. (200 being the normal)

Person A takes Wellbutrin, and due to their low levels, wellbutrin will have a very strong and fast effect on them. Since they are truly low on dopamine levels, once they take Wellbutrin and it gets their levels up higher - they start to experience that "happy" feeling. AKA the honeymoon. Their dopamine levels may rise to 150 within a few days, which is a huge rise, and the Wellbutrin may actual start to make "all that extra dopamine to get back to normal levels", hence why people will experience that "amazing un-real happines" when their levels sky-rocket from being so low for so long.

Now Person B takes Wellbutrin, and due to their levels being not too far below normal, they won't feel much change soon, and when they do, it'll take a few weeks or more to notice any effect. Since their levels are already not too low being at 150, their body may only increase say at a rate of 5 per day. Slowly building up to that normal 200 level. Therefore, it'll take weeks before notcing any effect.

Now I am no doctor, but I still believe in what I just explained. As for those numbers I used (saying 200 was the normal dopamine level). I made those numers up and I was just using those numbers as a "scale" so I could explain my theory.

#76 lisarowe

lisarowe

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

I wish the Honeymoon Stage wasn't the Honeymoon Stage. I wish it was forever. I was so happy and energetic, my friend thought I was on uppers.

#77 LunchLady

LunchLady

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

hey all!
i been on Wellbutrin for 2 days now.
i guess i'm in the honeymoon phase.
experiencing more energy and loss of
appetite. the thought of eating doesn't
even appeal to me and i'm the lunchlady!!! i'm all about food baby!
anywayz....
i'm curious about what happens after the honeymoon.
will i go back to wanting to hide in my bed all day?
i have issues with not wanting to go outside or encounter
house guests. it's the initial fear that stifles me, but
once i'm out or once company has arrived, i pretty much
forget about the anxiety and find myself enjoying my
surroundings. but it's that initial step - does that make
sense???
so yea... in these first 2 days i'm finding that welly(like the nickname)
has totally helped me in taking that first step.
will this go away? my energy, my smiles, my enjoying life again...
it'll go away for a bit, but then kinda come back?

#78 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

it'll go away for a bit, but then kinda come back?

Exactly. This is sort of a preview of what's to come, but you won't feel quite as supercharged when the long-term effects kick in, in a few weeks. It will still be a huge improvement over the depression, though.

This honeymoon effect will probably fade soon, and you may fall back into your old ways for a little while, but fear not, it's only temporary.

#79 SublimeDysfxn

SublimeDysfxn

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

i am on day 5. if anyting it makes me slightly drowsy. been getting about 6-7 hours of sleep at night, just about what i need. i felt slightly 'up' the first and second days, but now these last 3 days it is hard to tell. my appetite seems increased a bit. it could just feel like it increased because i was hoping for a decrease. the appetite definitely has not decreased. no other effects noted. i am weaning myself off of so much coffee (3 cups in the morn, 1 cup mid-late day, 1 cup in the evening), so that might be the reason for the drowsiness. although i seem to notice the drowsiness right after i take the WB. no increased anxiety noted.

i have been slightly more conversant, but that is probably a placebo effect. does it sound like it might not work for me? to early to tell? i so wanted the honeymoon, who doesn't want a little dr prescribed euphoria? i hope it works in the long run, i don't want to be switching around the meds.

#80 SublimeDysfxn

SublimeDysfxn

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

On WN now for just over 2 months. Never experienced the honeymoon effect though. No :kick: experienced either. Just 2 months of gradual change from very anxious and depressed to not depressed or anxious. Would love to experience the "kick" though people talk about!

sounds like your experience might be similar to mine. i think i will try to be more patient (see above). hows it going for you now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users