Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aberCoreyfitch

Wellbutrin SR + Cymbalta

42 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

Hello everyone.. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there taking Wellbutrin and Cymbalta together? I'm thinking about asking my DR about adding it.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Yes, I am.  It works very well for me.  I take 150mg WBxl and 30mg cymbalta a day.  So far I don't need to increase it.

Posted

Wow, that's really interesting... does your brain feel kinda "fried" from taking both?  I notice the Wellbutrin SR kicking in excatly 2 hours after taking it and it feels like the inside of my head is like sizzling and warm. I've read a lot of good things about Cymbalta so I was thinking about asking my DR about letting me start on it. One thing that really interested me about Cymbalta was that it decreases depression pain which I think I have. I've had like 3 MRIs, 2 catscans, all sorts of test on my brain (for chronic migraines) and stomach  over the last years and they found nothing wrong; yet, I'm sick all the time to the point of having to home school or do distance learning. Anyways, thanks  :)

Posted

I take 60mg. of Cymbalta and only 75 of Wellbutrin.  Cymbalta tends to increase my appetite and make me sleepy.  This is about the right dose of Wellbutrin to help counter those problems.  More works better but makes me too jumpy, so I have to compromise.  I think this is a good combination, however.  The doctor told me that Topomax is also used to decrease appetite resulting from antidepressants.  I haven't tried it, though.

Posted

Thanks for the help!! I'm actually starting cymbalta tomorrow and continuing wellbutrin SR.  :)

Posted

I don't have as much pain since I've been on cymbalta.  Sleeping better too.  No, my brain doesn't feel fried at all.  I've taken WB for several years now.  I just don't need 300mg anymore.  150mg works well for me with 30mg of cymbalta.  Everyone's different, you just have to figure out what works for you.  I think you'll like it, especially for pain. How much are you starting with?

Posted

Hi, I take Cymbalta and Wellbutrian together. I take 450 ml of the well...and 30 ml of cymbalta. I am not sure if it is working for me as I feel more depressed...I see the doc tomorrow so I am going to talk to her... :)

Posted

Sally, what type of pain were you having?  I'm glad the Cymbalta seems to be helping.  I have aches and pains in my joints (getting old!), and the Cymbalta doesn't help that at all.  I was hoping it would.

Posted

I've been diagnosed with fibro and can have pain different places.  Most of all my back hurt a lot and it doesn't anymore.  I have carpul tunnel also but still feel tingling and numbness, not so much pain.  At times it felt like my bones hurt but that seems to have cleared up too.  Not that I don't feel anything anymore but it's a lot more tolerable and I sleep better.  

Sorry it didn't seem to work for you.

Posted

Cymbalta + Wellbutrin combo is very effective.. Cymbalta seems to work a little better with depression, but if you decide to try it with or without WB just know you are going to have really bad nausea (like big waves up and down your throat) the first 2 days. I like "C" also cause it really helps with my migraines, stomach problems, and my back problem "C" can make you feel tired and WB can make your feel wired, they work together wonderfully, as with the sexual side effects Cymbalta is supposely have lower effect rate than the other antidepressants in other classes, but I'm having a little problem myself Wellbutrin is suppose to counteract sexual side effects...so...whoknows, but Okay  I'm done

Posted

I too take the combo of Cymbalta, Wellbutrin XL, and Zyprexa.  The Cymbalta is new...added to replace Paxil.  So far so good.  The only side effect I have had was some dizzieness and my doc did not attribute that to the added cymbalta or the cessation of Paxil.  They wanted to attribute the dizzieness to a head cold & inneer ear infection which I may or may not have had.

Swede

Posted

Welcome CipherCode,

Sorry you're having problems but that's why most of us are here and we try to exchange what seems to work for us.  Just keep in mind everyone reacts different.  

For one thing 2 wks is absolutely not long enough to tell if the WB is working or not.  This is an AD that takes longer to work.  You may feel more depressed before you feel better.  That's why a lot of dr's add an ssri to take with it.  They help with anxiety too and should get you over the starting se's of WB.  Talk to your dr and see what he suggests.  Just hang in there. :hearts:

Posted

Welcome to DF, CipherCode :hearts:

I agree with Swinn - WB can take much longer to kick in than many ADs, and anxiety can go up in the beginning; and many people need 300 mg. as an effective dose.

Yes, please talk to your doctor - there are meds that can be added on, sometimes just temporarily, to help you over the starting hump on WB.

Plese keep posting, and let us know how you're doing.

Wishing you well...

Posted

I'm glad you're going to hang in there with the WB. Keep us updated on how you're feeling, OK?

Posted

CipherCode,

Just wondering if the combination worked for you or not?  How are you feeling? Let us know.   :hearts:

Posted (edited)

Hi I know noone has posted here for a while, but I am wondering who is around that is still on this combo. I just started on both about a month ago. 150xl of WB and 60mg of cymbalta. I am trying to decide whether I should increase one or the other or both...but in general the combination is fantastic. They seem to cancel out the bad effects of each other, but enhance the good.

I've been taking 60mg cymbalta and 150xl of wellbutrin for about a month now. I do feel better, but my depression is not totally lifted and nor is my anxiety. Now, I don't want to be numb, and I'm not expecting these meds to be miracle workers, but I think I'd like to try an increase. But here's my dilemma: (and of course I will ask my doc about this too, but I was wondering what your opinions are) Primarily, I feel like the cymbalta helps my anxiety but makes me sleepy, and the wellbutrin helps my mood, and to counteract the sleepiness but increases my anxiety. Sooooo....I am wondering what I should do about an increase. I feel like if I just increase the cymbalta my anxiety will lessen but I may be so very sleepy all the time, which is difficuly because i have school, work, and an internship to deal with. I'm not good at motivating myself when I am tired. On the other hand, if I just increase the wellbutrin, I may have a better mood and more energy, but if it increases my anxiety it will just be pointless. Honestly, I'd rather be depressed without anxiety than free from depression but anxious. When I'm anxious, I can't do anything.

SO: my questions :

Should I increase both meds by a little? I don't want to take more than I need, but i think a bit more would help.

What is an average dose for wellbutrin? Is there a difference etween XL and SR in this situation?

For those of you that have increased from 150 to 300 or more, did you notice an increase in anxiety, irritability etc? Or was it about the same?

Is any one else on the combination of cymbalta and wellbutrin? If so, how is it working and what dosage are you on?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by lizard

Posted

It's not unusual for people to need 300 mg. of WB for it to be effective, at least on it's own. I don't know if that would be too much with the Cymbalta in the mix. Please check with your doctor.

When I increased from 150 to 300 mg of WB, I did notice an increase in side-effects (for me irritability was the worst). But everyone's different in their response; you might be just fine.

Let us know what you and your doc decide to do...

Posted

bump

Posted

I'm taking 300xl now. It certainly helped my mood. I've been taking it for about a week and a half now, I think. When you experienced side effects with an increase, how long did they last? Or are they still around? I've been more irritable, most noticeably in the evenings. Some of my anxiety has come back, but it seems to be more so physical (knotted stomach, shaking a bit, etc) than mental, so as of now I am able to deal with it unless something big comes up suddenly.

So far I'm doing better with the increase overall. I tried an increase of the cymbalta before this increase but it made me way too tired and I felt kind of sick, so I went back down.

Posted

Glad you posted this.

I was thinking of asking my psychiatrist if I could try Cymbalta with my Wellbutrin XL. I am currently taking 300mg of the Wellbutrin in the morning with 10mg of Paxil. It

Posted

Are you going to try the cymbalta? It might work for you, if the paxil and zoloft aren't working. It is very good for anxiety, from my experience, although it might upset your stomach a lot in the beginning. Don't give up tho if you try it and it does make you feel a bit yucky at first...I almost gave up on it but am *so* glad I didn't!! It really helped me, along with the WB. Let me know if you try it! Seems to be a good combination...to me, but I'm no doctor, so I guess all that's left is to try it and see! :)

Posted

i'm supposed to start taking 60mg of Cymbalta and 150mg of WellbutrinXL. don't know if it'll work or not :(

Posted

Japako:

When will you start the new meds? Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

-Bean

Posted

well... this is my new drug cocktail.

not sure yet when to increase wellbutrin, or when to decrease cymbalta.

been on cymbalta for a couple of months. just started the wellbutrin yesterday.

guess time will tell.

Posted

:bump: Hey everyone, what time of day do you take the SSRIs and the WB?

I'm having issues with sleeping :hearts:, but that could just be something that will go away as my body acclimates. I take mine at night before bed.