Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin and SSRI combo

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 12:54 AM

I would certainly suggest taking an SSRI or anti anxiety medication if you are going to take Wellbutrin.  That is, if you already suffer from Anxiety because Wellbutrin aggrevates it. (I think it does mainly because there is no serotonin involvement.

#2 toots_83

toots_83

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 02:07 AM

well, i was on wellbutrin 300 mg sr and celexa.  I had to get off wellbutrin because i was losing hair and its been 3 months off it.  Well guess what?? I am still losing hair..by the bunch..what is wrong with me??? It's freaky and it cant be the celexa because i've always been on celexa and it never made my hair fall out..till i took WB.  Another problem since being off is that i gained back 8 pounds, no energy, and recently my boyfriend and i have been fighting over why i wont satisfy him!!!  He understands its my meds but HE IS A GUY WITH URGES!! And i feel like hell not wanting him the way i use to want him.  Sometimes i do want to satisfy him, but i cant find the energy to do anything about it.  Plz any advice would be nice..thanks. :(

#3 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 09:09 PM

I would be careful about that.  I don't know anyone doing that, but I know some people that have done well on Effexor XR, a SNRI like Cymbalta, and Wellbutrin.  I didn't do so well on that combo, because I am Bipolar and it turns out norepinephrine makes me extremely manic.  I had previously only had problems with serotonin.  One thing that distinguishes Cymbalta from Effexor is that it is more balanced in the reuptake of both neurontransmitters at all doses.  You have to go higher on Effexor, before significant norepinephrine reuptake begins.

Katie :;):

Katie

#4 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 07:37 PM

Hmm.... interesting combo... I would ask your doc since Cymbalta also works on Norepinephrine as well as WB.  It might really wack you out.

Current meds: Lexapro 10mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2x day

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#5 The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:10 AM

can you take wellbutrin XL with cymbalta?

#6 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:08 AM

Hi. I have been on 400mg Wellbutrin and 50 mg Celexa for almost two years. I need the Celexa for my OCD and various anxieties. For me the combo has worked well after trying about 7 other ADs.
Katie

I have been on paxil for the last eight months and have gained 10 pounds. My doc has put me on 100 mg of wellbutrin to see if I can shed a few pounds. Has anyone had good success with this and weight loss?

After months of feeling non-sexual on an SSRI, adding the Wellbutrin has helped.  Both with Orgasm and sexual desire.
Ronnie

I started out with Celexa - worked my way up to 40mgs a day and then we added the Wellbutrin SR to help with the binging and other unhealthy impulse reactions (we won't go there!! LOL) The WBSR was a great addition. I still have to make the correct food choices, but the hunger isn't there as much, and things just seem a whole lot more real than it has in the past few years. Currently I'm on 40mgs of Celexa and 400mgs of WBSR.
I'm happy and feel alive.

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#7 mcashman

mcashman

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:03 PM

??? Has anyone been on Wellbutrin + Lexapro? WEllbutrin has made me an angry/anxious/mean person. I'm not crying anymore - but I amnot a nice person to be around. My dr added !0mg Lexapro to my 150mgWellbutrin XL. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if it helped with the side effects. HE actually wanted to double the Wellbutrin! I couldn't do that!

#8 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:49 PM

I am on both Lexapro and Wellbutrin.  If it wasn't for the Lexapro, there would be no-way I could handle the Wellbutrin's anxiety, aggitation side effects.

Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#9 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:08 PM

Ronnie,
Always one to be right on top of things <sound of foghorns in the distance> I missed your post here until I was browsing through just now.

...things just seem a whole lot more real than it has in the past few years... I'm happy and feel alive.

I'm so happy for you!

mccashman,
I hope you find this encouraging. I think you showed good judgement in choosing not to increase the WB at this time. There are lots of people who've done well on combinations of meds, like WB and an SSRI. Adding an anti-anxiety med to help with the start-up effects is another approach. Hang in there - it takes patience to find what works for you, but it's worth it.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#10 mcashman

mcashman

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:48 PM

:) Is it actually possible that after three days with the 10mgs of Lexapro added that I am already feeling better? Happy, laughing, reaching out ot people I have been avoiding and not angry/mean anymore! Hope it's not a placebo effect!

#11 Kaitrin

Kaitrin

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:30 AM

Mcashman - it could very well be real effects, not just placebo! Lexapro is supposed to "kick in" faster than the others and many people notice a difference in the first week. (I didn't notice a difference at all after taking it over a month, but I am just not having luck with antidepressants in general!) I'm glad you're feeling better - enjoy it!

#12 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:37 AM

Lexapro and Wellbutrin is a good combination.... a lot of us are on it (including myself).  It should help with the weight and definitely help with your sex drive if your a female.

Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#13 Jaded

Jaded

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:06 AM

Are there any SSRI's that are more complimentary as a combo with WB or doesn't it matter? (ie. Whatever works for you.) One I have considered is effexor but would that be bad with the WB because they both lower the seizure threshold?

The reason I ask is because it is likely I may need to add an SSRI to the WBSR I'm currently taking. I want to know which SSRI that overall people have found to have the least weight and sexual s/e's. Those two issues are very imortant to me because my depression is linked to sexual issues and I cannot bear to have a medicine in additional to my pysch makes things worse. I'm trying to get better here. I already suffer from reduced sensation due to dissociation. I don't want anything to make it worse. Weight gain will also be difficult for me because of other/marital issues. I'm so sad. I want to be normal again and I'm afraid I never will be.

Please, anyone who has found a good WB/SSRI combo, share!
(P.S.- I've been on the WB 3 weeks on full dose, a month including the first week at 1/2 dose. I have not had any increase in libido :( and it has not affected my appetite at all. I don't need to lose any weight so that's fine but I definitely don't want to gain.)

I'm just sad and scared about not ever getting better and making things worse trying to treat it. Please advise.

#14 swinn

swinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:32 PM

mcashman--I also felt better by day 3 on Lexapro.  I started it b/cause I had been on WB for over 2 yrs. and it pooped out.  But I continued to take WB to hopefully deal with the se of sexual disfunction with Lexapro.  I'm feeling better than I have in a long time.  Unfortunately the sexual se's are there.  

Jaded--I've actually had less of an appetite since adding Lexapro.  I feel real good but unfortunately have sexual se's.  It's so hard to have everything perfect.  But as some here have said, after a long time it might go away.  I've only been on Lexapro for 5 weeks.  So I'm going to wait it out.  You have to weigh the benefits against the se's sometimes.  I've been told that Effexor also has sexual se's.  We all act differently so it's hard to say how each person will be.
Sally

#15 Natedogg

Natedogg

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 02:55 PM

I have a question:  Since St John's Wort acts like an SSRI, is it safe to take with Wellbutrin?  I had good results on SJW about a year ago and am considering additing it to WB and eventually switching since it's much cheaper and I'm out of work.  :confused:    However I've read elsewhere that you shouldn't mix SJW with prescription anti-depressants including SSRI's and WB.  Any thoughts on this?  I will of course talk to my doctor about this as well.  :suspect:
Natedogg

"Woof Woof"

#16 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 03:19 PM

Jaded,
Try to be patient - you may not feel the full effect of the WB for a while, sometimes for up to 12 weeks.
If you do need to add an SSRI, there are lots of different combinations that have been successful for others. It takes some trial and error. But in combo with the WB, you might not experience the side-effects of weight gain or sexual problems - everyone responds differently.
Let us know how you're doing, and post here for support.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#17 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:21 AM

Hi Sharon,
Good luck with the combination.  It works real well with a lot of people.  Keep us updated.

Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#18 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 08:40 AM

I am still doing well on my combo of Wellbutrin and Celexa.  I had a severe manic episode this spring which made me have to discontinue the Celexa temporarily.  Now I am just taking a small pinch, 20 mgs with the normal 400 Wellbutrin SR.  The Wellbutrin helps with the sluggishness and increased appetite from Celexa.  Just thought I would update.

Katie :;):

Katie

#19 kokopeli

kokopeli

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:20 AM

I am wondering how long people usually wait before discontinuing the WB or adding an SSRI. I keep reading "up to 12 weeks" for WB to take effect. I am entering week 5, and feel horrible. The SEs (anger, insomnia) have gotten better, but am still crying almost daily, and feel worthless/hopeless, no sex drive. Am seeing new doc next week, and not sure if I should try to wait out the WB alone, or ask for her to add SSRI. I am also terrified of weight gain, and unfortunately have not had the side effect of decreased apetite with WB. Would appreciate any suggestions..Thanks!

#20 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:26 PM

Just got back from my pdoc appt.  We've decided to drop back down to 150mg of Wellbutrin (also down to 10mg Lexapro from 15mg).  Had some continued side effects after increasing it to 300mg about 5-6 months ago.  I figured this was long enough to see if the benefits outweighed the side effects.  Got to disorientated on that dosage.

Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#21 Jaded

Jaded

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:29 PM

Jaded,
Try to be patient - you may not feel the full effect of the WB for a while, sometimes for up to 12 weeks.
If you do need to add an SSRI, there are lots of different combinations that have been successful for others. It takes some trial and error. But in combo with the WB, you might not experience the side-effects of weight gain or sexual problems - everyone responds differently.
Let us know how you're doing, and post here for support.

Thank You Lizard. I need all the advice and support I can get...

#22 Guest_missrane_*

Guest_missrane_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:56 PM

Hello All ..I'm new here. Need some help.
I've been on Lexapro for 8 months for anxiety and panic attacks, it's worked great for me. I also take Ativan as needed. Lex is the only anti-depressant I could stay on for longer than 3-4 days. I was getting concerned because I've gained about 25 pounds in 8 months. I started at 5'8 120. I have always been thin. So I've never even thought of dieting. I've tried that AND exercise- NOTHING... I feel fat . I want my body back.. And I have 0 sex drive UGH.
I went to my MD today and she said I should try adding Wellbutrin to the Lex. it's supposed to help lose weight and improve sex drive!! I am afraid to take ANOTHER med on top of Lex!?!?!? Plus she gave me "regular" Wellbutrin 75 mg not the SR or XL, because she only wants me to take it in the morning and hopefully it will wear off at night so I can sleep... Anyone have any advice??? I'm not sure what to do?????

:hearts:   :bump:           -Jodi

#23 Tanha

Tanha

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:49 PM

I just started Wellbutrin SR this week. I'm on 150mgs of the wellbutrin, 12.5mgs of paxil cr, 10mgs of lexapro...down from 20mgs I'm not sure if my pdoc is taking lexapro away or not, and 100mgs of geodon going down to 80mgs soon...she also took away my 75mgs of nortriptyline. I just started the paxil cr when I started the wellbutrin and I decreased my other meds at the same time so I don't know if I'm having side effects from the new pills or if it's from decreasing the other ones.  I got a new pdoc and she's changing everything. lol. I have panic disorder and so far I haven't noticed any extra anxiety so that's a plus. I'm hoping the wellbutrin will help me lose some weight and give me some extra energy. I'm pretty sure she's going to increase my dosage of wellbutrin and was wondering if any of you thought that might cause the anxiety SE to pop up. Like I said I don't have it yet so I'm crossing my fingers it won't be a problem.
"In the mirror is where she comes face to face with her fears
Her reflection looked forward on to her after all these years
However how she's tried to be something besides herself
Now time has passed and she's ended up somewhere else with regret"

original DF join date May 2002

#24 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:20 PM

Whew, Tanha, that's a lot of changes!
Hopefully, you and your new doc will have found the right meds for you to feel well.
If your doc suggests upping the dosage of WB, talk to her about your concerns. There are lots of options for tweaking the medications.
I'm glad you're not having increased anxiety, and I'll keep my fingers crossed along with yours, that it continues to go well.
Let us know how you're doing...
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#25 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 09:06 PM

St. Johns wort has been proven to be somewhat effective.  And even prescribed in Europe. I think it acts like a MAOI, but not sure.  

Although, since there are different brands out there and you never know how much of the real stuff is actually in the pill.... i'd use caution.  GNC has a brand that is taken once a day (500mg I think).  i've never heard of anyone taking it with Wellbutrin.  Talking to your doc would be good, but most doc's won't know much about them.  Talk to a herbologist or Health food herbal person or someone like that if you can.  But they will also tell you not to mix it, especially with an SSRI since most labels will say the same thing.

Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#26 gryphon

gryphon

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:53 AM

Ronnie,

It's been a while since I posted.  I was on the Wellbutrin XL 300 mg (started on SR then switched) and the lexapro (was on 15 then reduced to 5).  I ended up coming off the lexapro b/c I didnt think it helped and the sexual SEs were really bothering me.  The SEs cleared up but I was really agitated and the doctor started me on zoloft.  Well after a week on 25 then a few weeks on 50, I am back to the same sex SEs and now I think I am gaining weight.  I cant take it anymore.  I need a little SSRI to calm down the agitation but I really like the wellbutrin (and so does my husband).  Do you have any suggestions here?  It really does get worse w/ my PMS and I know SSRI's are prescribed for that sometimes.  Do you think it's bad to just go on zoloft or lexapro for just  a week and then stop each month?  Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks
Gryphon

#27 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:49 AM

gryphon,
I know people who take a low dose of Paxil as needed for anxiety and/or stop for a day or two if they want to have an "O".  I'd think Zoloft would be able to work this way due to its short half life.  I'd definitely talk to your doc about trying Zoloft only during the PMS phases each month, the only problem is possible start up and withdrawal side effects each time.

Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#28 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 04:22 PM

gryphon,
I know you addressed your question to Ronnie, but I thought you might want to peek in on 2 archived links to PMS/PMDD:
http://www.depressio...orum....102;hl=
http://www.depressio...orum....403;hl=

I'm aware of Prozac being prescribed on occasion for PMS for just one week of each month, but I don't have personal experience with this and don't know how effective it is.

I found the WB had very hormonal side-effects for me, and worsened my PMS. A little anti-anxiety med, like a benzo, on an as-needed basis helped a bit with the agitation.

Good luck!
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#29 Jaded

Jaded

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:49 AM

I have a couple questions....

I started on Zoloft a week and a half ago. Am up to 50mg a day now and moving up to 100mg in a week. So far I have actually felt a small increase in libido since starting Z and no increase in appetite. I am also at this time weaning off WBSR. I was on it for 9 weeks with no improvement...even more breakdowns if that's possible...and no positive effects from the WB. No increase in sex drive and no appetite decrease.

My first question is if I didn't experience those positive effects on the WB and I have weight/sex s/e issues develop on an SSRI will adding WB back do anything for me? Seems like if it didn't help with any of that by itself I shouldn't expect it to have any effect countering something else.

Second question - How long after starting an SSRI would I notice sex/weight s/e's developing?

What are your thoughts?

(p.s. I am feeling more even after 1 1/2 weeks on Z than I did in 9 weeks on WB. I still have a LONG way to go before I feel truly good but haven't had a single breakdown and just feeling overall more emotionally even. :)  )

#30 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 02:16 PM

Gryphon, I am not sure that taking an SSRI for a week every month would be worth it.  Since most of these meds only work after many weeks, they may not have an impact for just that week.  The next month would be like starting over.  I had an ob/gyn once suggest I increase my Celexa dosage just for that week and then return to the normal dose.  I never tried it, but I thought it would be a bumpy transition going up and coming down.

Katie :)

Katie

#31 sharon

sharon

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:26 PM

Hi,  I have been on Wellbutrin SR 200 mg a day for 2 months now & I love it!  I haven't really had any side effects (except maybe a couple of headaches)  & I have lost a few pounds :D  But I am having a few anxiety attacks so the dr. put me on Zoloft 50 mg to take with the Wellbutrin.  Hope this helps   :grinning:

Thanks,  Sharon

#32 The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 10:10 PM

I didn't realize that about Effexor... I will call my dr. tommorrow.

#33 melpointy

melpointy

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:26 PM

Toots Hi the hair falling out may not be a side effect of either medication.  If you are not eating a well balanced diet this can cause your hair to fall out.  I have one friend doing a low carb diet and quit when her hair starting falling out.  I am serious this is not a one time incident.  I am sure it was that as she does not take any meds.  Check with a nutriotionist and take an extra vitamin with plus for your hair.  Just a thought.

As far as the libidio it is more than likely celexa as I had this problem with all SSRI's.  I dont know what to say but try your best to talk to your boyfriend about understanding this.  Maybe another SSRI wont be as bad.  Zoloft wasnt to bad for me in that area except I was a little manic on it as I am bipolar so I had to quit.  Hope it works out for you.

Mel :)

"We work hard at convincing ourselves that the world is the same way as it was as a child.  We justify that our protective behavior is necessary because as kids we were wounded.  The problem is that through this process we recreate the wounding."  Van Joines Phd.

#34 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:08 PM

I agree with Melpointy that the hair loss could be more nutritionally based.  Depression can mess up your ability to eat on a regular schedule meaning 3 meals a day and some snacks.  You may be more or less hungry than uausual.  I was on a diet that excluded certain foods and I found my hair falling out.  The multivitamin/multimineral should help you get what nutrients you need if your eating habits are not great at the moment.  Whose are?  Tne biotin, selenium, and zinc should help damage control.

Katie :)

Katie

#35 Calast450

Calast450

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

I'm on a combo of cymbalta (60mg) and wellbutrin XL (300mg) and it's ok I guess.. Mean.. I didn't know how irritable and angry I was until I missed a dose this morning. I felt great the whole day!! I felt 'loving' and friendly to people and I actually wanted to be around them for the first time in a while! I had a good outlook and I had 'determination' to get things done, I called for more jobs and I made phone calls I never thought i'd do! It felt great! I don't like quitting meds all at once (I did that once with the 60mg cymbalta.. BAD move! :hearts: ) So i'ma talk to him tomorrow about it, hope I can work it out. I'm also one of the ones that get tired off of this stuff, i seem to crave sweets and stuff too, gained about 10 pounds these past couple of weeks. I took the dose I missed around 6pm and I had the energy to headbang a little doing a grocerey store run but I still feel pretty calm and a little tired, the way I usually feel. It's also HARD AS CRAP to get up in the mornings!!! I've been late to work a number of times because I can't get outta bed in the morning! it's horrible!

#36 bshaw99

bshaw99

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:44 AM

Are there any SSRI's that are more complimentary as a combo with WB or doesn't it matter? (ie. Whatever works for you.) One I have considered is effexor but would that be bad with the WB because they both lower the seizure threshold?

The reason I ask is because it is likely I may need to add an SSRI to the WBSR I'm currently taking. I want to know which SSRI that overall people have found to have the least weight and sexual s/e's. Those two issues are very imortant to me because my depression is linked to sexual issues and I cannot bear to have a medicine in additional to my pysch makes things worse. I'm trying to get better here. I already suffer from reduced sensation due to dissociation. I don't want anything to make it worse. Weight gain will also be difficult for me because of other/marital issues. I'm so sad. I want to be normal again and I'm afraid I never will be.

Please, anyone who has found a good WB/SSRI combo, share!
(P.S.- I've been on the WB 3 weeks on full dose, a month including the first week at 1/2 dose. I have not had any increase in libido :( and it has not affected my appetite at all. I don't need to lose any weight so that's fine but I definitely don't want to gain.)

I'm just sad and scared about not ever getting better and making things worse trying to treat it. Please advise.

i hate to bring bad news but i have tried many ssri's and they all have had sexual side effects. in that respect, wellbutrin is a wonder drug. try sticking with it for a while

#37 eve123

eve123

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

Hi. I have been on 400mg Wellbutrin and 50 mg Celexa for almost two years. I need the Celexa for my OCD and various anxieties. For me the combo has worked well after trying about 7 other ADs.
Katie

I have been on paxil for the last eight months and have gained 10 pounds. My doc has put me on 100 mg of wellbutrin to see if I can shed a few pounds. Has anyone had good success with this and weight loss?

After months of feeling non-sexual on an SSRI, adding the Wellbutrin has helped.  Both with Orgasm and sexual desire.
Ronnie

I started out with Celexa - worked my way up to 40mgs a day and then we added the Wellbutrin SR to help with the binging and other unhealthy impulse reactions (we won't go there!! LOL) The WBSR was a great addition. I still have to make the correct food choices, but the hunger isn't there as much, and things just seem a whole lot more real than it has in the past few years. Currently I'm on 40mgs of Celexa and 400mgs of WBSR.
I'm happy and feel alive.

Hello Ronnie;

I loved the last line of your post soooo much that even though it is from 2004 I hope you are still 'happy' & here at DF! 'Ask a HAPPY person' are words to live by, so Ronnie, will tell me more about the AD Celexa/WellbutrinSR combo and how it is working for you??? That is if you are still on it in this fickle world of AD's! If not what IS working for you now??? BTW...Was on Celexa for years, then Lex, and before that everything else! Non-responder I guess...sooo sad and depressed!

Me-Looong time sufferer on Wellbutrin XL for 1 month desparately needs an additional AD to help w/ the Anxiety. I want to change to WBSR like you in the above post b/c I cannot sleep and have a veeeery looong history w/ insomnia from childhood & I'm hoping the WBSR will enable me to schedule doses so I can get sleep. However the anxiety, irritability and rage that WB is so known for will be a deal-breaker if I do not get something to curb that to take w/ the WB. I am desperate! Was on Lex for 2 years = zombie and 25 lbs gained all while really watching what I ate. What can i add to WB that is not a proven weight gainer.?

What about Buspar? Luvox??? Was on it back in the dark ages but can't remember!

Thank You, eve

#38 Aerial

Aerial

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:49 PM

I missed my usual Wellbutrin pill this morning because I forgot to get a refill. I took my Paxil, as usual but, during my whole morning I was shaky and sweating. Could missing one dose of Wellbutrin do this?
(My legs kinda feel like jello, too--what the heck)?

Anyone else have this reaction?
Posted ImagePosted Image

"We've been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we've done..."

(Song of Bernadette, lyrics by Leonard Cohen)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." James Taylor

#39 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:46 PM

I missed my usual Wellbutrin pill this morning because I forgot to get a refill. I took my Paxil, as usual but, during my whole morning I was shaky and sweating. Could missing one dose of Wellbutrin do this?
(My legs kinda feel like jello, too--what the heck)?

Anyone else have this reaction?

Yes, skipping even one dose of WB can cause the symptoms you described. Happens to me when I forget to take me meds. I get all jittery and get this truly awful creepy-crawly feeling.

The feelings should go away shortly after you take a dosage of WB.

By the way, when you do miss a dose: if you realize you skipped the dose early on, take the missed pill. If you realize it well after the usual time you take the WB, just hold off until it's time to take the next dose. Don't double up. This advice is courtesy of my pharmacist.

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#40 DeliaAngel

DeliaAngel

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

Lexapro and Wellbutrin is a good combination.... a lot of us are on it (including myself). It should help with the weight and definitely help with your sex drive if your a female.

How much lexapro and how much wellbutrin? And what type of wellbutrin?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users