Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Muscle jerks/twitches when falling asleep

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:56 AM

This is very interesting and I'm wondering if it's related to restless leg syndrome.  It seems that I heard that you could try to increase your magnesium for this.  I have severe cramping in my legs when I go to bed.  I had it before I got on meds and I think it's related to anxiety and passed a doppler test, so I know it's not circulation.  Maybe try to stretch all your muscles out before going to sleep.  I also had an orthopedist tell my to drink a small bottle of tonic water as it's the only way to get quinine.  It supposedly relaxes muscles, but is very yucky, so make sure it's cold if you try this.  Let me know if you try any of this and notice a change.

As for the zaps..the first time I had one, I thought my brain was going through some kind of chemical change.  Not a good experience.....Ronnie, I have also had the zaps when turning my head...  I feel better knowing someone else has had this.. :hearts:  It's a weird feeling!  Lexapro has some different side-effects, that for sure.  I never had this on Paxil...

Love, Jackie   :bump:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#2 Chinch

Chinch

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:21 AM

yeah the swoosh sound is definitely withdrawal.. i'm all too familiar with that.. zap in the head, swoosh in the ears..

the zaps yeah they seemed to originate from around the eye or front brain area and go throughout my head down my neck.. looking to either side precipitated them.

ronnie, i think i know what you're talking about.. most everyone "twitches" as they fall asleep.. my girlfriend has little random twitches when she's going off into dreamland.. but they are very mild and don't wake her.. these twitches for me are very violent to the point where it wakes me up very fast.. as Lynn said.. some of them even lift you up in the air, haha :hearts:

i mean it's ok.. it's not life threatening, i eventually fall asleep it's just annoying to be woken up the first 20 times you fall asleep!

#3 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:16 PM

I have had muscle twitches at night on my left leg and my sisters cat was startled and scratched me.  Well I woke up suddently and saw the cat standing there but I had originally thought a snake bit me.  My main issue right now is that my TMJ gets really tight.  Is this normal on Celexa or is it part of my stress/anxiety I am going through?  Will my tmj ever relax?
The Guy. - Love is patient, love is kind, love never fails.

#4 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:53 AM

Yep... totally normal in my book.... i know several people that have had them their whole life and never been on meds.  It would be like electrical charges going through their body and they would twitch all over and not even realize it cause they were going to sleep and then sleep right through it and then it would stop right when they fall asleep.  It was strange to sleep in the same bed as this person.  

Their would be no rhyme or reason why they would happen to me.... sometimes soon after I go on meds, or if i increase them, or when I decreased them.... always some excuse would set it off... When I was on 20mg of Lex they would happen somwhere in my optic nerve (?? hard to explain), but kinda like an invisible tiny ball is about to smack you between the eyes and you jerk real fast and blink.  Is that a brain zap?

Right now i'm getting little swooshing sensations when I turn my head to fast, I think this is from the decrease of the med.

Current meds: Lexapro 10mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2x day

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#5 Chinch

Chinch

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:54 PM

I have had muscle twitches at night on my left leg and my sisters cat was startled and scratched me.  Well I woke up suddently and saw the cat standing there but I had originally thought a snake bit me.

haha! that made me laugh out loud..

the TMJ is definitely SSRI related. now let me clarify.. yes, it is a bi-product of stress and anxiety but SSRI medications certainly exacerbate it. jaw clenching/tooth grinding is made worse by antidepressants.

i had never experienced any kind of jaw tension or tooth grinding before i started on them. now it is commonplace for me.

for some reason, increasing serotonin causes this.

to make a correlation, i don't know if any of you have done the drug ecstasy in your past, but it floods your brain with serotonin. while you're on the drug, you clench your teeth and grind them like crazy. to the point where i would often chew sores on my tongue or bite the sides of my mouth.

so there's your answer!

about what you can do about it.. not much really. for me, the jaw clenching and soreness went away over time as my body got used to the drugs (i've been on them for several years).

swede (a moderator in the paxil room) would suggest you go to the drugstore and buy one of those mouth night guards, which he says work well. he said the ones from the dentist cost 300-400 dollars i believe (but they're custom fitted). you may want to send him a message and ask him about what kind to get.

theguy: since you have just started taking the lexapro, i would say it will definitely get better over time. it is much worse for me when i am just starting on it.. so i would expect it to improve for you over the next few weeks. of course, the higher the dosage, the jaw problem gets worse.

#6 trinafrmlv

trinafrmlv

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:21 PM

I had that happen to me for at least the first year of being on celexa. I wouldnt think that the switch from one 20 mg pill to 2 10 mg pills would make the difference. Maybe it has to do with your stress level or something. I have noticed that I almost never have the jerks or twitches anymore unless I am uptight or nervous about something.
I hope you figure out what it is and that it is only temporary.

Original DF join date: Dec 2001

#7 Chinch

Chinch

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:58 PM

i know many of you have experienced this side effect with SSRI antidepressants, but i have forgotten what all was said, so i'll ask again..

when i am falling asleep (and usually only when i'm falling asleep).. it seems right at the moment i go from conscious to unconscious, my body jerks. almost exactly like when you have a falling dream and your body jerks really quick and it wakes you up.

this usually happens to me during the first few weeks of being on an SSRI, but this is the first time it's just started happening out of the blue. it's happened yesterday and today.. i tried to take a nap today, and every single time i would fall asleep i would instantly be woken up by one of my muscles jerking, mostly either my upper legs or abdomen, or both. i tried falling asleep for an hour, and no luck because of this. it happened like 20 times last night before i was finally able to fall asleep for good.

i have been on lexapro 20mg for quite some time and i haven't changed anything except my doctor gave me samples so i wouldn't have to refill my prescription this month, and instead of taking my usual 20mg pill, i've been taking two 10mg (at the same time).. being the same dosage, surely this isn't enough to have 'reset' my body?

what are others' experiences with this, and do you know of anything to make it stop or calm it down? thanks!

p.s. i haven't been getting them during the day.. i have experienced those before.. i would consider the daytime ones more of "twitches", and the nightime more "jerks" because they are stronger and more violent.

#8 Penny64

Penny64

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:07 PM

Hey Chinch!
I get the same thing and its ssooooo annoying. What I hate most are the abdminal ones that lift you off the bed.  :hearts: Mine has diminished quite a bit with seroquel. It puts me out (except tonight). I get jerks in my hands, arms and legs during the day though when my seroquel is its lowest dose (200mgs pm, 100mgs am). I have a pdoc appointment next week and plan to talk to him about it.
Lynnie  :bump:

Let your past make you better, not bitter.

#9 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:43 PM

whats TMJ?

Current meds: Lexapro 10mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2x day

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#10 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:33 AM

TMJ is the Temporo Mandibular Joint.  Basically your jaw joints.  I just seem to hold my anxiety there I think and the celexa at this point has made it a little worse.  It affects my sinuses I think too and they get all clogged up.  Has anyone esle has this?

:hearts:

#11 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:55 AM

Oh Yea!!!!  I've also had neuralgia in my face and it's realy painful.  I take Motrin for this.  It's probably anxiety related.  I've had earaches related to TMJ.  The beest thing is to go to a dentist and have him check how your teeth align.  Sometimes they don't, and when you eat the jaw joint is not in the proper place and sets the whole thing in motion.  When I open my mouth you can hear it hole and it doesn't feel too good, either.

The additional anxiety and Lexapro=  one sore jaw.

Jkm   :hearts:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#12 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:18 AM

Well the main thing I get is some tightness in my jaw.  My dentist already looked at it and it was a little deviated.  She said I had mild TMJ but I also think it is anxiety related.  My ears get clogged up too and it is such a pain.  Does anyone know if these jaw symptoms go away after being on Celexa for a while?  I have only started at 10mg for a week now and I have a friend who was on it before and he said to increase to 20 after about a week.  My family doctor is on holidays until the end of August so I can't ask him at the moment.  To be honest I have been on Celexa before after my divorce about 5 years ago.  I am currently on it again for anxiety due to my business stress.  I am unsure when I upped the dose to 20mg.  Any suggestions?

#13 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:35 PM

lol  yes the cat thing was kinda funny.  I now close the door to my room.

Thanks Chinch for your response.  I have had tmj problems which actaully have gotten better over the last year and I can definitely say it is as a result of anxiety and stress.  I seem to tense my face due to anger about things and worry.  I also get the tightness in my head by my tempo area above the ear.  It feels so tight and I wish it would go away but I think without me realizing it I tense my head if that makes any sense.  

As with ecstasy,  I did it for 3 months only and I did it every weekend.  That was 4 years ago.  I hope it didn't do any permanent damage.  

I am hoping that since I have been on Celexa now for only 1 week (just bumped up to 20mg from 10mg) that I will feel better in about 6 to 8 weeks.  What a long ride.  

This will be the 3rd time going on Celexa.  My doctor a while back told me that it is harder to go on it the second time.  Is this true and for what reason?  Would my brain and body be more resistant to it now?   Anyway I am giving it a go again until the stress and anxiety about my business and life are under control.

#14 Sammy

Sammy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:16 PM

I found an excellent  summary of what is known about the myoclonus (rapid contraction of muscles, especially leg muscles), which includes Periodic Limb Movements of Sleep (PLMS, also knowns as nocturnal myoclonus) and  drug induced myoclonus (including the serotonergic drugs such as the SSRIs).  

PM me or kstours for the link.
none

#15 Jelena

Jelena

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:08 PM

This is very interesting and I'm wondering if it's related to restless leg syndrome.  It seems that I heard that you could try to increase your magnesium for this.  I have severe cramping in my legs when I go to bed.  I had it before I got on meds and I think it's related to anxiety and passed a doppler test, so I know it's not circulation.  Maybe try to stretch all your muscles out before going to sleep.  I also had an orthopedist tell my to drink a small bottle of tonic water as it's the only way to get quinine.  It supposedly relaxes muscles, but is very yucky, so make sure it's cold if you try this.  Let me know if you try any of this and notice a change.

As for the zaps..the first time I had one, I thought my brain was going through some kind of chemical change.  Not a good experience.....Ronnie, I have also had the zaps when turning my head...  I feel better knowing someone else has had this.. :hearts:  It's a weird feeling!  Lexapro has some different side-effects, that for sure.  I never had this on Paxil...

Love, Jackie   :bump:

I have restless leg syndrome and it is THE most annoying thing. Ive had it for as long as I can remember. It used to be only when I was trying to fall asleep but now I get it at various times of the day. Sometimes it takes me hours to fall asleep because of it. Ive never heard of the tonic thing you spoke of but I will certainly give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
Jelena

#16 arwen13

arwen13

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

greetings folks-

i am a new user of this forum and of citalopram (20mgs) for 6 weeks now. ;-) initially, i felt great. I felt focused, less anxious -- my mom has serious mental and physical health issues. Also, it has really helped regulate my sleep -- insomina and nightmares were a big problem for me.

Now i think i may be experiencing some possible side effects -- most recent is a facial twitch-- granted it is a minor side effect, but i was wondering if anyone else has experienced facial twitching or body shivering/teeth chattering. at this point it's more annoying than anything.

thanks in advance for any feedback you may have.

#17 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

greetings folks-

i am a new user of this forum and of citalopram (20mgs) for 6 weeks now. ;-) initially, i felt great. I felt focused, less anxious -- my mom has serious mental and physical health issues. Also, it has really helped regulate my sleep -- insomina and nightmares were a big problem for me.

Now i think i may be experiencing some possible side effects -- most recent is a facial twitch-- granted it is a minor side effect, but i was wondering if anyone else has experienced facial twitching or body shivering/teeth chattering. at this point it's more annoying than anything.

thanks in advance for any feedback you may have.

Hi, arwen. I went through a period of eye tics with my right eye several weeks after starting Lexapro. It did finally go away. I also found that I was clenching my teeth at night which made my jaw awfully tense in the mornings. That has mostly gone away, and it's also lessened since I lowered my dose. I have no idea why the meds cause these odd things, but fortunately they do seem a small price to pay for regaining my sanity! Hope they cease for you soon.
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

"It ain't never no use puttin' up your umbrell' till it rains!"
-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users