Advertisement
Deet

Effexor: how long before it helped?

Effexor: how long before it helped?   159 members have voted

1. 1. Effexor: how long before it helped?

• 1 month
    • 2 months
    • 3 months
    • 4 months
    • 5 months
    • 6 months
    • longer
    • didn't help
    • unsuitable/too many side effects

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

212 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

I thought this poll might be useful for folk.

This was the results from the old site.

Question: Effexor: how long before it started to take effect :: Total Votes:73

Votes Statistics

1 month 38  [52.05%]

2 months 10  [13.70%]

3 months 5  [6.85%]

4 months 1  [1.37%]

5 months  1  [1.37%]

6 monts 2  [2.74%]

Longer  0  [0.00%]

wasn't suitable/didn't work 16  [21.92%]

As you can see it should work in 1 to 3 months.  Though some find it takes longer.  And approximately 1 in 5 people will find it is not suitable for them.

Remember though this is not a scientific study, so the results are only based on personal experiences of members who joined DF.

Take care and I wish you the best if taking Effexor.

Eileen

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Since I was the first to vote, yes it did seem to take ages for me to benefit.  Although I will say that it did lift my mood in the first few months.

Posted

For me, it took a long while to work. I was initially put n 75mg/day

I found this made me feel a bit lighter after the first week, as if the fog was beginning to clear, but i after that i didnt feel any better. My doseage was increased to 150 then to 225 and it is only now, after being on 225mg that i feel it is working and my mood is improving  :hearts:

Posted

good news quiety-crying, I hope it continues.

Eileen

Posted

For me, the Effexor began to work almost immediately.  Within 72 hours I noticed a positive difference in the way I felt.  It is the only A/D I've ever taken that hasn't produced any side effects annoying enough to stop taking it.  :D

Marnie likes this

Posted

:D good for you Annabelle, I hope it continues.  

Eileen

Posted

im currently on my 6th day of taking it... i dunno if it's cuz of the med, or just incidental, but im currently in a good mood... :)

Posted

they're putting me on it again.

when I was put on 37.5 awhile ago, the fog I had began to clear a little.. it was too low of a dose to necessarily lift my mood, but I noticed that I generally felt better.. not suicidal at least.  I was generally able to think a little more.. and that was, from what I remember, within the first 3 days of taking it.. less than 72 hours, actually.. then I stopped and was put on lexapro.. I don't know why they did that, but they did.

now they stopped the lexapro, put me on wellbutrin, and it made me worse, so now they put me on 150 of effexor.. my first time taking it will be tonight.. um.. so yeah.. I hope it works out.. I heard very good results from this medicine, and even on the low dose of 37.5 mg, I was able to feel something very quickly..

wish me luck.

Posted

I do wish you luck Matt.  I hope it goes ok with you.    

150 mg seems a very high dose to start off with but I guess the dr knows what they are doing.  

Eileen

Posted

For me, 150mg/day took the typical 4 weeks to kick in full effect. I spoke with my Pdoc and wanted to see if 225 would be even better but it seems to have made no difference other than costing me double what I was paying for 150.

John

Posted

Took a good 2 months for me.

It's like I felt going from 5th gear to a cool cruising 2nd gear. I kept on telling my doc he was giving me sugar pills but he told me to be patient  :bump:

Guess what? He was right  :hearts:

geoff22000 likes this

Posted

hey sometimes placebos work better than the right stuff.  :p  :hearts:

Posted

I have been on and off Effexor for three years and it seems to hit the spot almost straight away. Coming off is worse. I got down to 37.5mg and still couldn't do a day without it. The doc thought it had become too much of a comfort blanket and I cut them in half and then quarters.

Three weeks without anything and I feel ok - side effects gone and still able to go to work and be "normal"

Posted

Effexor ROCKS!!!!! :hearts:

I was at the end of my drug rope when I was prescribed this. It basically gave me back my life.

The only downfall is trying to quit.

Posted

Hi,

If anyone's reading this who knows me - I just took my first dose this morning.  I took the leap, finally.

Miss talking to everyone here.  Wish me luck.

libra

Posted

I do wish you all the best.  Let us know if you have any questions.

Posted

I do: is effexor addictive?  if not, why are there so many discontinuation symptoms?

Posted

Effexor is not addictive, nor is any anti-depressant.  Yes there can be discontinuation effects but thats because our brains have gotten used to the additional seratonin & norepinephrine that are going about.  Plus the shorter the half life of the AD (like Effexor) it means that our brains are particularly sensitive to going off meds.  Not everyone will get discontinuation side effects, others will get minor effects, some unfortunately may get them in a bad way.  It does not mean that the drug is addictive like tobacco, alcohol, illegal drug or illegal drug etc are (maybe I should add caffeine here as well).

Posted

Thanks Eileen!

Well I'm into my second week now, and I feel more calm.  My bf said I seem way more level now.  I still have some anxiety, that comes and goes instead of just staying all the time.  Hopefully that improves.  I'm having less fear of being around people now, and I'm actually thinking of how I can be nicer to people, when before I was just irritated all the time and didn't care about being nice.  

I can sit and read a book now too.  I've actually started reading again, and I'd been disappointed in myself for never being able to concentrate long enough to even read a page of a novel.  This affected me in all kinds of ways, for example, you can just forget learning anything new if you can't even sit and read on it!  I am not saying this is all night and day type changes, but little changes that I notice are happening.  What I'm saying is it's really lifted the anxiety... and I hope that it only gets better.

:)

Posted

:hearts: I was on effexor for about 8 months... I topped out at 375 mgs a day...

Posted

Legend if you suffer from manic depression you should maybe not have been on Effexor unless you also had a mood stabiliser med as well.  

Effexor is known to cause a manic episodes.

Hope that you didn't suffer that way.

I'm sorry that you are having problems with the meds you take.  Have you tried talking therapies or only meds?

Posted

Initally I was taking Celexa for about 9mos. or so but along with some blood pressure medication I was very tired all the time and didn't seem to be helping the depression all that much. I was put on Effexor 75mg about 8mos. ago and did notice some improvement in my mood after 1-2 months. At present my Dr. put me on 150mg daily, 75am/75pm and I am going to have to wait and see if things improve some more. I will post when there is noticeable change. Thx from a newbie to site, Brant

Posted

psy

be careful with your blood pressure, effexor can cause high blood pressure in people especially those with a history of it.

Eileen

Posted

Hi, . I've suffered from depression and anxiety for almost 7 years. I finnally went to see my doctor about a month ago.been on effexor for a month now, it's my first time on meds. I started at 37.5 and after a week of hell I had 3 of the best days I've had since it all began. then my doc doubled my dose and I felt low again but no panic attacks like when I first started. I'm now at 112mg and feeling crappy. My doc says he thinks I'll stop at 150mg which I'll start in a couple days. I don't know If I want to increase the dose, I guess I'm worried that it will mean increased discomfort! Has anyone here had a couple of unbelievable days of high flying , and then plummeted back down to the hard ground? It's so frustrating to be taunted like that. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I just be more patient?

Posted

gusser

its not that unusual to get a feeling of euphoria when starting effexor, its generally temporary, but once you are at your max dose you should find that it helps you within a month to 6 weeks.   It can take quite a few months to be over the depression altogether so do be patient.  By the way 150mg might not be the max dose, 225mg is usually the max, but everyone is different.  150 mg might be fine for you.

Your friend might not know how to react to your news, at least they haven't told you to just pull yourself together.   Have you thought that his/her reaction might actually mean that s/he is taking it matter of factly and is not scared.  Have you asked her why she reacted that way?  Depending on the way you look at it, her reaction might be a good or bad thing.

Oh and being irritated is a side effect of being on effexor, it goes away soon.

Welcome to DF.

Eileen